The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 5, Issue 1 (May 1, 1930)
The “Experiment” designed by John B. Jervis and built by the West Point Foundry, was the first locomotive to employ a “bogie” or leading truck, and also, among the first locomotives employing six wheels. It was put in service on the Mohawk and Hudson road in 1832. The “Experiment” proved itself anything but what its name implies, frequently making sixty miles an hour and, on occasions, attaining, a speed of eighty miles. It was the fastest locomotive in the world during its day. The “Experiment” had cylinders measuring 9 1/2x16 inches and two driving wheels five feet in diameter. The furnace was five feet long and thirty-four inches wide.
published by The Central Steel Company,
Massillon, Ohio, U.S.A).