Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 7 (December 15, 1926)



Mr. John Clark, Officer in Charge of the Thorndon Goods Department, retired on superannuation on the 8th October, after the completion of 38 years service with the Department. Joining the service as a lad porter at Takapau in 1888, Mr. Clark was stationed at different stations in the North Island. He was transferred to Napier in 1891. During his stay in the latter town, Mr. Clark was unfortunate enough to meet with a serious shunting accident whereby he lost both of his feet. Although severely handicapped, he was not daunted in spirit, and was promoted to the first division on resuming duty. Mr. Clark was later stationed at Kaikora (now Otane), Featherston, Eketahuna, Dannevirke, and Hastings, transferring to Wellington in 1909, where he remained until the date of his retirement. Before finishing duty on the 8th October, Mr. Clark was met by a large number of members of the Goods Department's staff, and presented with a handsome clock, suitably inscribed. In making the presentation Mr. Lezard, Goods Agent, spoke in glowing terms of the loyal and efficient service rendered to the Department by Mr. Clark. Several other members also spoke in a similar strain. Mr. Clark in a neat speech thanked the staff for its gift which would always bring back to him recollections of the many happy days he had spent in the Railway service.

Mr. James Reynolds, an old Railway officer, recently passed away in his 81 st year. The late Mr. Reynolds, who was well known to the older members of the service, joined the Railway Department in 1874, and was guard on the first and only 5 ft. 3 in. broad-gauge railway in New Zealand, which was constructed between Christchurch and Ferrymead. He was subsequently stationed successively at several stations in the Canterbury district prior to being transferred to Westport where he filled the position of wharfinger for some years. He then occupied in turn the position of stationmaster at Port Ahuriri, Napier, and Te Aro (Wellington), resigning from the latter position on superannuation in 1911 after 38 years of service. The Railway Department was represented at the funeral by Mr. E. Casey, Acting-Divisional Superintendent, and Mr. J. F. Mackley, Locomotive Engineer.

Mr. T. G. Glasgow, eyesight specialist, has recently had a busy time in Wellington examining all members of the staff, but members generally have had little difficulty in passing the required tests.

The cricket season opened in the Empire City on Saturday, 17th October. The Railway team took its usual place in the field in the Junior grade, meeting Marists at Wakefield Park. Marists batting first compiled 99 runs, while J. Nash captured 7 wickets and finished with a very good average. The Railway team batted throughout the remainder of the afternoon, putting on the respectable total of 263 runs for the loss of 9 wickets. The chief scorers were, W. F. Gill, 110 (not out); S. E. Fay, 46; J. D. Nash, 42; and S. E. McLeod, 35. If the Railway team can maintain this standard of play it should have little difficulty in carrying off the laurels of the Junior grade championship.