The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Levin is a township fifty-nine miles north-east by rail from Wellington, in the county of Horowhenua. The railway station stands at an altitude of 119 feet above the sea. The head-quarters of the Horowhenua County Council are at Levin. The total capital value of the Horowhenua county in the year 1907 was £2,450,623. The post and telegraph office and telephone exchange occupy a fine building at the corner of Queen street and Oxford street, in the centre of the town. There are churches belonging to the Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodists, Roman Catholics, and the Salvation Army. Levin has branches of the Banks of Australasia and New Zealand, also a district high school, a daily newspaper—the “Manawatu Farmer”— and a volunteer fire brigade. The borough has a court house and police station; the former is a commodious new building at the corner of Stanley and Bristol streets. The police station consists of a residence, office, and two cells, in charge of a resident constable, who also acts as Clerk of the Court and Inspector of Factories. There are two hotels, besides a number of boarding-houses, for the accommodation of visitors. The various trades are well represented in the town, many of the retail establishments make a highly creditable window display, and a considerable number maintain large and complete stocks of modern merchandise. The surrounding country was at one time covered with bush, which has since been felled. There are still, however, two saw-mills in operation. Levin is thirteen miles distant by road from Foxton, and coaches leave the railway station every morning and afternoon, returning from Foxton the same day. The beautiful Lake Horowhenua, with its hilly background, is one of the scenic attractions of Levin. The boys' training farm is conducted under Government control as an industrial school. The institution was founded at Levin in the year 1902. Another Government institution is the Levin Experimental Farm (often called the State Farm), which was founded in 1894, and consists of 800 acres, part of the Horowhenua block, about one mile and a half from the railway station. Originally this institution provided shelter and instructive training for the unemployed and new arrivals, but now, under the control of the Agricultural Department, it is one of the most valuable Government experimental farms in the Dominion. The appointments of the farm have been designed on modern lines, so as to ensure the most satisfactory results. Dairy farming and pig and poultry raising are carried on. Good fishing and shooting can be obtained in the adjacent rivers and district.
The Borough Of Levin was incorporated in the year 1906. It has an area of 1,400 acres, a population of 1,265 in 1906 (of whom 300 are rate- payers), and possesses 275 dwelling houses. The capital value of property amounts to £207,000. A general rate of 1£¼d in the £ is levied. The offices of the borough council and the county council chambers are in Oxford street. The members of the council are: Messrs. B. R. Gardener (mayor), G. K. Douglas, H. Hall, J. G. Hankins, T. A. B. Hudson, E. F. Levy, J. Prouse, J. Ryder, C. Williams, and Dr. H. D. Mackenzie (councillors). Mr. P. W. Goldsmith is town clerk and treasurer.
Councillor George Kenmer Douglas, who was elected a member of the Levin Borough Council in April, 1907, is a well-known builder and contractor. He was born in England, where he was educated, and learned his trade as a carpenter and builder. In the year 1897 he came to New Zealand, landed in Wellington, and afterwards settled in the Rongotea district, where he worked at his trade till 1899. He then removed to Levin, where he was employed for three years before starting business on his own account. Mr. Douglas is further referred to as a builder and contractor.
Councillor Hugh Hall was elected a member of the Levin Borough Council on its constitution in the year 1906, and was re-elected in 1907. He was born in Nelson, where he was educated. In 1898 he settled in Levin, and has since been associated with the settlement. Mr. Hall is an enthusiast in all out-door sports of all kinds. He is a member of various clubs, namely, hockey, football, racing, boating, and shooting, and in 1906 presented a challenge shield, valued at fifteen guineas, to the Horowhenua Hockey Association. He is further referred to in connection with his business.
Councillor Thomas A. B. Hudson was elected a member of the Levin Borough Council in the year 1906, and re-elected at the succeeding election. He established at Levin the Levin Co-operative Dairy Company, Limited, in 1900, and has since held the office of secretary. He is also one of the founders and a trus- page 707 tee of the Horowhenua Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Hudson is elsewhere referred to as a member of the auctioneering firm of Hudson and Marriott, of which he is senior partner.
Wriggleworth and Binus, photo.
Councillor T. A. B. Hudson.
Councillor Charles Williams, who was elected a member of the Levin Borough Council in April, 1907, takes an active interest in all local matters, and holds a prominent position in all matters with which he is connected. No person in the Horowhenua district takes a keener interest in sport than he does, including Rugby football, for which he has been a delegate to the New Zealand Union. Prior to coming to the North Island Mr. Williams spent many years on the West Coast of the South Island, where he was engaged in mining and engineering. He afterwards spent some years on the various Australian gold-fields, and represented a New Zealand syndicate at Coolgardie. He possesses a first-class mining-manager's certificate of competency, also a mine-surveyor's certificate, and is a member of the Australasian Institute of Mining Engineers. Mr. Williams subsequently conducted an hotel in the Hutt Valley, which was a popular resort for the travelling public, and in 1899 removed to Levin, and was landlord of the Weraroa Hotel for four years. He then bought a general store, which he has since successfully conducted.
Councillor C. Williams.
The Post and Telegraph Office at Levin occupies a site at the corner of Queen and Oxford Streets. The fine two-storeyed brick building was erected in the year 1903, and contains a public office, private box lobby, a telephone exchange, a mail and telegraph room, and a private office. There are two town postal deliveries daily.
Miss H. E. Bowen, who has been postmistress at Levin since the year 1893, joined the department some years ago.
The Levin Railway Station is situated at the south end of the borough. It is a wood and iron building, and contains the usual offices and appointments. There are eight trains passing through the station daily, and the staff includes a station-master and two officials.
Mr. Arthur Thomas Seaward, who has been station-master at Levin since the year 1901, joined the service in 1887. He acted as station-master at Johnsonville for eighteen months, and as a relieving station-master for three years before receiving his present appointment.
“The Horowhenua Daily Times,” formerly known as “The Manawatu Farmer,” was established in the year 1893 by Messrs. Nation and Sons, and was taken over by the Horowhenua Publishing Company, Limited, in the year 1907, when Mr. David Papworth was appointed editor and managing director. Since the first issue of the paper there has been a steady increase in the circulation, and it now effectually covers one of the largest counties in New Zealand. It is a four-page sheet, each containing nine columns, was formerly issued as a tri-weekly, but now appears as a daily. In politics it favours Liberalism, and has a wide circulation throughout the Manawatu district. A special edition is published for the settlement of Shannon, under the name of the “Shannon Advocate.”
Harper and Harper (G. H. Harper and P. H. Harper), Barristers and Solicitors, and Native Interpreters, Levin and Otaki.
Mr. Philip Hamilton Harper, resident partner of Messrs. Harper page 708 and Harper, is the fifth son of Mr. George Harper, Barrister-at-law, Christchurch, and a grandson of the late Bishop Harper. He was born in Canterbury in the year 1881, and was educated privately. He was then articled to his father, but before qualifying he joined the Eighth Contingent for service in the South African Boer war. On his return to New Zealand he studied for a time at the Lincoln Agricultural College, and then worked with his brother. Captain Harper, on a farm at Fairlie Creek, South Canterbury. Soon afterwards, however, he returned to the study of law, was admitted to the bar, and in 1907 joined the firm of Messrs. Harper and Harper, as resident partner in Levin where the firm took over the practice of Mr. E. J. Prendergast.
Mr. George Herbert Harper . founder of the firm of Messrs. Harper and Harper, and resident partner at Otaki, is the eldest son of Mr. George Harper, and was born in Christchurch, in the year 1872. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and St. Patrick's College. Wellington, and, after spending some years in sheep farming in Hawke's Bay, he studied and qualified as a native interpreter. This profession he followed in Hastings and Dannevirke, and then settled in Otaki, where he studied for the law, and was admitted in 1899. Mr. Harper married the youngest daughter of Mr. Joseph D'ath, of Otaki, and has three children.
Park, William Stewart. Barrister and Solicitor, Levin. Mr. Park was born in Dunedin in the year 1880. In the year 1906 he removed to the North Island, and established his present practice at Levin.
The Bank Of New Zealand, Levin.
Mr. James Matier, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Levin, was born in Ireland, educated in Belfast, and afterwards gained considerable commercial experience before coming to New Zealand in 1879. He joined the head office of the Bank in Auckland, and was afterwards sent as relieving-officer to various agencies. Mr. Matier was then transferred as accountant to the Napier branch, where he remained for about three years. He was appointed manager of the Waipukurau branch in the year 1897. and was subsequently transferred to his present position. Mr. Matier is married, and has three daughters.
The West Coast Saw-Millers' Co-Operative Association Limited was established in the year 1902, for the purpose of protecting and advancing the interests of the saw-millers, and has a steadily-increasing membership. The registered office of the company is at Weraroa, near Levin, and Mr. Cameron is secretary of the association.
Mr. George Cameron, who succeeded Mr. J. H. Graham as secretary of the West Coast Saw-millers' Co-operative Association Limited in September, 1906, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and after leaving school was brought up to clerical work. At the age of twenty-two years he left his native town for Australia, where he spent ten years in the timber trade in Queensland, then came to New Zealand, and a few months after his arrival joined the clerical staff of Mr. Peter Bartholomew, saw-miller, by whom he was continuously employed until receiving his present appointment. Mr. Cameron is honorary secretary of the local library committee, also one of the founders of that institution, is one of the founders and an active member of the local lodge of Freemasons, a founder and present trustee of the Independent Order of Rechabites Friendly Society, and has served many years as a member of the school committee. He is also founder and secretary of the Presbyterian Church at Levin. Mr. Cameron is married, his wife being a native of Ayr, Scotland, and they have one son.
Hudson and Marriott (T. A. B. Hudson and G. Marriott), Auctioneers and Wool Brokers, Land, Stock, and General Produce Agents, Queen Street, Levin. This firm dates from the year 1903, though up till then the business had been conducted from 1894 solely by Mr. Hudson, as a commission agency. The auction rooms, offices, and grain stores are situated in Queen Street. The firm hold a monthly wool sale, stock sales as required, and have established a fortnightly pig market, said to be the largest in the North Island; about 200 pigs being sold on each occasion.
Smart, David, House, Land, and General Commission Agent, Levin. Mr. Smart was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in January, 1855, was educated at private schools, and then apprenticed to the building trade under his father. Later, he took a position as ship's carpenter on the “Blue Jacket,” and in the year 1869 settled in New Zealand. He followed his trade successively in Nelson, Marlborough, Wellington, Wanganui, and Oamaru, and in the latter town he conducted a business for eighteen years. In the year 1892, owing to ill-health. Mr. Smart removed to Levin, where for a few years he worked at his trade, and then established a bookseller's and stationery business. Early in 1907 he sold his business, went to England, and on his return to New Zealand devoted his attention entirely to land agency work. Mr. Smart is also an architect, and has designed a number of the buildings in Levin. In the year 1876 he married Miss Isabella Mitchell, and has three sons and six daughters.
Douglas, George Kenmer . Builder and Contractor, Oxford Street, Levin. This business was established by Mr. Douglas in the year 1902. The premises consist of a large two-storeyed wood and iron building, which contains a most complete plant for the carrying out of the work. The machinery is driven by means of a steam engine, and includes two planers, saw benches, and band saw. Mr. Douglas takes the entire output of one local saw-mill, and employs eighteen persons. He has carried out contracts for several buildings.
Premises of Mr. G. K. Douglas.
Swainson and Bevan, Limited, Contractors, Flax-millers, Auctioneers, Agents, General Merchants, and Providers, Levin. This flourishing business—one of the largest in the North Wellington district—was founded in Manakau in 1889. For some time the firm conducted a large mill on the Makarua swamp, but they now own a fine mill near Manakau (employing about thirty persons), where the agricultural and general contracting plants are stationed. At this place the firm also have a large coach-and-carriage-building factory, grain and storage sheds, stables, etc. They undertake all classes of important contracts, have erected several large bridges in the district, and constructed water races. They are also extensive farmers, and in addition to the grain and produce page 709 handled in this way, they buy standing crops and harvest on their own account. Two traction engines, fifty draught horses, and over 100 men are employed in this connection. The Levin branch was established in the year 1903, and the premises consist of a two-storeyed building, with 130 feet frontage. It is divided into several departments, including the ironmongery, coachbuilding, saddlery, grain and produce, and the wool and skin departments. The firm have a wholesale wine and spirit license. Messrs. Swainson and Bevan, Limited, were the first firm to conduct wool and skin sales at Levin, and their monthly sales have proved very successful; Mr. Hankins, the secretary of the firm, is the auctioneer. The firm act as district agents for the State Fire Insurance Office, the Farmers' Union Fire Insurance Department, the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, Booth Macdonald and Company, Limited, Massey-Harris Company, Limited, Daylight Acetylene gas plants, Little's and Lawes' sheep dips, the Tangye oil engines. Cyclone wire fencing materials, Silverite roofing felt, and the Abermain Coal Company.
Mr. John George Hankins, Secretary of Messrs. Swainson and Bevan, Limited, was born in Hokitika in the year 1873, and is a son of the senior partner in the well-known legal firm of Messrs. Hankins, Loughnan and Fitzherbert, of Palmerston North. He was educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School, afterwards spent some years in the service of the Bank of New Zealand and the Colonial Bank, and in 1897 joined the firm of Messrs. Swainson and Bevan. Mr. Hankins is a director of the Levin Express and Carrying Company, a member of the Levin Borough Council, senior deacon in the Masonic lodge, vice-president of the New Zealand Rugby Union and of the local Rugby Union, and treasurer of the Levin Club. As a collie dog fancier he is well-known throughout the Dominion, being the owner of “Roslyn Regal,” which has won many prizes, including three firsts, two specials, and the Ladies' Bracelet at the Wanganui show. Mr. Hankins is married, and has one child.
The Levin Carriage Factory and Engineering Works, Oxford Street, Levin. This business was established in the year 1894, by Mr. D. Brabner, junior, of Christchurch, and Mr. H. Anstice, but the latter gentleman soon afterwards bought out Mr. Brabner's interest. The premises occupy a central position, and have a frontage of forty feet and a depth of five chains. They comprise a large smithy (with two forges) and general engineering shops, and at the rear is the coachbuilding department, with extensive yards. In addition to the coachbuilding and general blacksmithing, a large amount of implement making and repairing is executed. Mr. Anstice does a large and increasing trade, and employs six men in his business.
Mr. Henry Anstice, proprietor of the Levin Carriage Factory and Engineering Works, was born in Nelson, and is a son of one of the pioneer settlers of that province. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the engineering trade under Messrs. Moultry and Crosbie, of Nelson, then served some time to the coach-building and blacksmithing trade, and then for eight years travelled about the Dominion working at his trade, prior to starting business on his own account in Levin. Mr. Anstice has been captain of the Levin Fire Brigade since 1905.
Macintosh, W. B., Coachbuilder, Engineer, and General Blacksmith, Queen Street, Levin. This business was established in November, 1900. The premises comprise the engineering and smithing shop, coachbuilding and painting department, an office, and a yard at the rear. They are fitted up with the latest machinery, driven by a six-horse power engine. Boat-building is also undertaken. An extensive business is conducted, the work turned out is first-class, and several tradesmen are constantly employed.
Mr. William Barrett Macintosh was born in the Nelson province in August, 1872, was educated at the Cathedral school, Christchurch, and then spent a short time in the grain store of Messrs. Kaye and Carter. He afterwards learned the coachbuilding and engineering trade under Messrs. Freeman and Company and Messrs. Howland and Cronin, and for a short time conducted business on his own account. Subsequently he removed to the North Island, was employed for a short time by Mr. David page 710 Anderson, of Dannevirke, and then settled in Levin, where he established his present business. Mr. Macintosh is captain of the Horo-whenua Boating Club, and a vestryman of the Anglican Church. He married a daughter of Mr. William Taylor, of Akaroa, Canterbury, and has one son.
The Levin Co-Operative Dairy Factory was established in the year 1899, and is owned and controlled by the Levin Co-operative Dairy Company, Limited. The main factory is a wooden building, situated in Queen Street, and ocupies a site of fifty acres. The engine room is fitted with a fifteen-horse power Tangye engine, a twenty-horse power boiler, and a three-ton Linde-British freezer. The plant includes two 1,000 lb. churns, up-to-date butter-working tables, three 440 gallon Alpha de Laval separators, and two cream vats. There are also a freezing chamber, measuring twelve feet by twelve feet, and a cooling room, six feet by twelve feet. The factory has two large creameries, supplied by forty-four farmers, and the 1907 output was 304 tons of butter. The Levin Co-operative Dairy Company, Limited, have also a cheese factory at Linton. Mr. S. Broadbelt is chairman of directors.
Mr. Herbert Martin Rockell, Manager of the Levin Co-operative Dairy Factory, was born at Matahiw', near Masterton, in the year 1869, and is a son of Mr. G. A. Hermann Rockell, of Carnarvon. He was educated at the State school, and also by means of the American Correspondence Schools. He afterwards entered the Government telegraph service, rose to the position of clerk and operator, and then resigned. For six years afterwards he carried on business as a general contractor in the Manawatu, Rangitikei, and Wanganui districts. Mr. Rockell then leased a farm near Wanganui, but five years later accepted a position as manager of a creamery at Rewa. He was afterwards successively employed in Messrs. Beattie, Lang, and Company's Eclipse factory, Dannevirke, and the Onga Onga factory, Hawke's Bay, prior to receiving his present position in 1907. Mr. Rockell has exhibited at the New Zealand National Dairy Association's exhibition at the Palmerston North winter show. He was president of the New Zealand Butter and Cheese-makers' Association for 1905–06, and 1906–1907, and is a regular correspondent to the “New Zealand Dairyman.” He was chairman of the Onga Onga school committee, has been through the chairs in a district lodge of Durids, is a member of the Farmers' Union, and was a representative footballer. He is married, and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. H. M. Rockell.
Proctor and Proctor, Painters, Paperhangers, Sign-writers, and House Decorators, Oxford Street, Levin. This business was established in the year 1902 by Mr. J. W. Proctor, who conducted it until 1907, when he was joined by his brother. The premises have a good position in Oxford Street, and the shop carries a large stock of oils, paints, paperhangings, picture mouldings, glass, mirrors, and other decorative materials. Messrs. Proctor and Proctor conduct a large business, and give constant employment to nine men.
Mr. John William Proctor, senior partner of Messrs. Proctor and Proctor, was born in Picton, in January, 1864, and after leaving school spent some years on sheep stations, latterly as station manager for the Bank of New Zealand. Later, he engaged in hotelkeeping, and conducted hotels successively in Turakina, Waitotara, Wanganui, and Marton. He then removed to Levin, and founded his present business. Mr. Proctor is married, and has five children.
Mr. Thomas Vipond Proctor was born in Havelock North in the year 1870, and after leaving school was apprenticed to the blacksmithing trade, which he followed for some years in Foxton, Shannon, and Wellington. For several years subsequently he successively conducted hotels at Otaki, Foxton, and Palmerston North, and then managed the Petone Working Men's Club for about three years. He afterwards removed to Levin, and joined his brother in their present business.
August, Ernest J., Cabinet maker, Upholsterer, and Art Furnisher, Oxford Street, Levin. This establishment occupies a large double-fronted shop, with a verandah and fine plate glass show windows. The showroom contains a varied assortment of general furniture, including pianos, Mr. August being local agent for the Dresden Piano Company. The workshop is replete with most modern machinery for carrying on a successful and high-class trade. Mr. August was born in Wellington, where he was educated and brought up to the engineering trade. He followed his trade for some years, and worked for a time at the Addington workshops, Christchurch. He then went to South Africa with the Eighth Contingent, and had three years and a half of further experience in the engineering trade, before returning to New Zealand in the year 1906, when he established his present business.
The Weraroa Hotel (J. F. Meagher, proprietor), Levin. This hotel, situated near the railway station, was built in the year 1895, and is a two-storeyed building. There is an entrance with large folding doors on the main street. On the ground floor there is a commodious commercial room, an office, sitting rooms, the billiard room, a club room, and a dining room capable of seating forty guests. The first floor contains a spacious hall, fifteen bedrooms, two sitting rooms, and bathrooms with hot and cold water laid on. There is a private house, a public hall, and large stables connected with the hotel. The house is well furnished throughout, an excellent table is kept, the best liquors are stocked, and guests receive every attention.
Mr. James Francis Meagher, the proprietor of the Weraroa Hotel, was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in September, 1869. In 1884 he went to Australia, and found employment in Adelaide and Melbourne until 1894, when he came to New Zealand. He was engaged in general farm work for some years in various parts of the Dominion, and then conducted a dairy farm in the Kereru district. After seven years he sold his farm in order to take over the Weraroa Hotel. Mr. Meagher is a member of the local dairy and meat companies, the racing club, the poultry association, and the bowling club. He is married, and has four sons.
Phillips, John, Cycle Engineer and Importer, “The Byko,” corner of Queen street and Oxford street, Levin. This business was founded in the year 1901, and has been conducted by Mr. Phillips since 1905. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, with a verandah and two large show windows, and are well lighted with acetylene gas. The business deals in various makes of cycles, and Mr. Phillips is also agent for the “Centaur” cycles, and “Brown” motor cars and cycles. The workshop contains a suitable plant for repairing cycles, motors, etc., and is a very useful half-way house for motorists going through from Wellington to Palmerston North. There is a branch business at Otaki in charge of a manager. Mr. Phillips was born in Birmingham, England, where he was educated and brought up to the engineering trade, having served his time under his brother for three years and a half. In 1899 he came to New Zealand, landed in Wellington, and gained further experience in his business. After a visit to Birmingham, in 1904, he returned to New Zealand and bought his present business.
Williams, C., and Company (C. Williams), General Merchants, Weraroa Store, Weraroa, Levin. The premises consist of a large wood and iron building, with a double-fronted shop, and a residence behind. A large general stock of hardware, soft goods, boots, groceries, produce, and page 712 builders' requisites is maintained. Goods are delivered throughout the town and district, and the firm have the contract for the supply of the Boys' Training Farm.
Gapper, H. C., General Storekeeper, Oxford street, Levin. This business was established in the year 1891 by Mr. Smith, and was acquired by Mr. Gapper in the year 1901. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a double-fronted shop with a storeroom and office. A full stock of groceries, etc., is carried, and an extensive trade is conducted throughout the town and district. The stables occupy part of a site of eighteen acres, a short distance outside the borough, where the proprietor also has a private residence. Mr. Gapper was born in Nelson, where he was educated and brought up to mercantile life. He gained further business experience in Taranaki, Wanganui, and Feilding, before opening his present store at Levin.
Mr. H. C. Gapper.
Bradley Brothers (R. W. Bradley and J. Bradley), Livery Stables and Coach Proprietors, Oxford Street, Levin. This firm established its business in Levin in the year 1896, and three coaches run regularly between the railway station and the township. The stables occupy a central position, are built of wood and iron, and the office is connected by telephone. There are forty-five stalls and five loose boxes, as well as standing space for vehicles. Sixteen horses and numerous vehicles are employed in the business.
Mr. Robert W. Bradley, the senior partner, was born at Waimate, Canterbury, and was educated principally at Masterton. He has been associated with horses from his earliest days, and spent seven years in the Pahiatua district, where he undertook the breaking in of horses under Professor Litchwark's system. He subsequently removed to Levin and established the present firm, in conjunction with his brother.
Levin Express and Carrying Company, Limited (F. Roe, chairman of directors; J. G. Hankins, secretary; and H. E. Collyns, director and manager), Queen street, Levin. This company was incorporated in the year 1906, to acquire the business for many years conducted by Mr. H. Hook. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, which occupies half an acre page 713 of land, and contains twelve stalls, four loose boxes, large grain and fodder storage room, an office, and groom's room. About twelve vehicles (including a dray and a lorry), and sixteen horses are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Hubert E. Collyns, Manager and Director of the Levin Express and Carrying Company, Limited, was born in Nelson, where he was brought up to farming pursuits. He bought the Levin Hotel in the year 1906, but subsequently sold out in order to take up his present position.
Prouse Brothers, Limited, Timber Merchants, Levin. Established by the present proprietor in the “seventies,” this industry has steadily increased from year to year. The mill and yards are situated near the railway station. In November, 1905, a limited liability company was formed, with Mr. C. H. L. Palmer as manager, and the firm have since conducted a large and increasing business. The buildings cover about half an acre, the machinery comprises a fifteen-horse power steam engine, a twenty-five-horse power boiler, two planers, moulders, saws, etc., and there is also a grain grinding and crushing plant. The timber used is drawn from the main trunk and southern lines, and after being resawn, dressed, and moulded, is disposed of locally.
Mr. Charles Henry Lewis Palmer, Manager of Messrs. Prouse Brothers Limited, was born in Wellington in October, 1869, was educated at the public schools, and afterwards spent a few years in farming work. Subsequently he engaged in saw-milling, was employed by Messrs. Prouse Brothers, of Whiteman's Valley, and latterly acted as foreman of the works, prior to receiving his present appointment. Mr. Palmer has been a member of the Borough Council, is chairman of the District High School Committee, a director of the Co-operative Butchery, and secretary of the lodge of Foresters. He is married, and has seven children.
The Weraroa Saw-Mill (P. Bartholomew, proprietor), Levin. This mill first started operations in the bush, some distance from the township, and in 1895 it was removed to Weraroa, Levin, where the re-sawing and planing plants still stand. The mill has since been moved to the Ohau river, six miles distant. The proprietor holds cutting rights over 2,000 acres in the Ohau district; the mill turns out 8,000 feet of timber per day, and gives employment to thirty-five persons. The timber is drawn to Weraroa on a horse tramway, and after being put through the re-cutting and planing processes it finds a ready market.
Mr. Frederick George Roe, the Business Manager of the Weraroa Saw-mill, was born in Wellington, in March, 1863, and after leaving school spent six years on the clerical staff of the Wellington Trust, Loan, and Investment Company, Limited. He then entered the employment of Messrs. P. and J. Bartholomew, timber merchants and saw-millers, Feilding, and on the dissolution of that firm he removed with Mr. P. Bartholomew to Levin, and has since been engaged as manager of the latter's timber mills. Mr. Roe is a past master and secretary of the local lodge of Freemasons, and is also secretary of the racing club, and the Horowhenua Park Company.