The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Martinborough is a good sheep-farming district fifty-eight miles north-east from Wellington, in the county of Featherston, and is a half-way place between Lower Valley, Greytown, and Featherston. With the two latter places it has communication by coach, having a daily mail service with Featherston. The original village was called Te Waihinga, but, later, the late Hon. John Martin cut up a portion of his estate there, and laid out the present town. It has a spacious square for its centre, and broad, well-kept streets radiate to all points. The surrounding country for miles is level and undulating, and is chiefly a sheep station district, although there is a considerable area of land suitable for agricultural and dairy farming purposes. There are two cheese factories in the district, one at Dry River and the other at Tawaha. Martinborough is the head-quarters of the Featherston County Council. The town has a sash and door factory, a large boot and shoe and boot polish factory, an extensive coachbuilding and smithing establishment, a post, telegraph and money order office, two hotels, a town hall, a public school, a public library, three churches, a fire brigade, an Oddfellows' hall, three banks, and a triweekly newspaper. The town has a fine racecourse and show grounds, and the social life is represented by Masonic and Oddfellows' lodges, a jockey club, a Caledonian society, a coursing club, an athletic club, and a gymuasium. Martinborough is the best district in New Zealand for deer stalking, and there is also excellent trout fishing. There is a famous Maori carved whare at Table Lands, near Martinborough, belonging to the estate of the late Tamahau Mahupuka.
The Martinborough Town Board was formed in April, 1905. The town area is 1,277 acres in extent, and was formerly under the jurisdiction of the Featherston Road Board. At the census of 1906 there was a population of 774. The capital value is £94,000, and the rateable value is £90,832, on which a general rate of 1d. in the pound is levied, and there is also a country rate of £¼d. in the pound. The Board meets on the second Thursday in the month. Members of the Board for 1908: Messrs. Murdoch Ross (chairman), John Boyd, Joseph Jackson, Hugh Mackay, Thomas Kennedy, Wi Hutana, and John William Kershaw. Mr. Frederick McAllum is the town clerk.
Mr. J. Boyd.
Mr. J. J. Jackson.
The Featherston County Council was established in the year 1872, under the name of the Feather-ston Highway Board, and received its present title in the year 1902. It includes the ridings of Greytown, Featherston, Western Lake, Kahautara, Otaraia, Turaganui, Awhea, Pahaoa, and Martinborough. The county has an area of 965 square miles and the northern boundary is between Carterton and Greytown, along the course of the Waiohine river; Palliser Bay and the East Coast are the southern and eastern boundaries; and the Rimutaka range forms the western boundary. The Featherston county has considerable attractions for tourists and sportsmen in the mountain, valley, and pastoral scenery, the beautiful sheet of water known as Lake Wairarapa, which covers 18,844 acres; and in the deer reserves. The population of the county is 3,470; the capital value of property is £2,339,439, and the general annual revenue averages £11,300. There are 469 ratepayers. The county is one of the best roaded in the Dominion, and has within its boundaries some large bridges. The head-quarters of the council are at Martinborough; the council building, which measures thirty-five feet by sixty feet, contains the council chamber, the general office, and the county clerk's and engineer's offices. Members of the council for the year 1908 are: Messrs. A. Matthews (chairman), A. D. McLeod, J. McLeod, A. O. Considine, J. McMaster, W. J. Nix, M. J. H. Jackson, T. Benton, and T. F. Evans. Mr. G. W. Cobb is the county clerk, and Messrs. J. W. Spiers and T. Davis are road overseers.
Mr. T. F. Evans' Staff and Premises.
Mr. Andrew O'Loughlin Considine, Treasurer of the Featherston County Council, has always taken a keen interest in the advancement of the district. He was a member of the Licensing Committee, was a justice of the peace, was chairman of the school committee, is a member of the South Wairarapa Hospital Board, is treasurer of the Cemetery Trustees, a member of the Library Trustees, and a member of the executive of the Railway League, of which he was also a promoter. Mr. Considine was born in Burren, County Clare, Ireland, in January, 1849, and at nine years of age went with his parents to South Australia, where, after leaving school, he was brought up to farming pursuits, which he followed for about eighteen years. In 1875 he came to New Zealand, in February of the following year settled in Martinborough, and for eighteen months was employed as carter for Mr. Waterhouse. He then established himself as a general carrier, and conducted a suecessful business for twenty-four years. During this period he also conducted farming in conjunction with his business, and has since taken up farming entirely.
Mr. George William Cobb, who was appointed clerk to the Featherston County Council In November, 1904, was born in Christchurch, Hampshire, England, in October, 1873, and is the third surviving son of Mr. J. E. Cobb, of Napier. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1884, was educated in Napier, where he served an apprenticeship of six years to the photography trade. He then studied for the Church, but after passing through part of the theological course he left college, and subsequently received his present appointment. Mr. Cobb is secretary of the Dry River Water Race Committee, and of the Cemetery Trustees, was the Featherston and Martinborough correspondent of the “Wairarapa Standard” for many years, is chairman of the committee of the Caledonian Society, a member of St. Andrew's Vestry, a lay reader, and was chairman for two years of the local school committee, during which time he was instrumental in the erection of a gymnasium. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Photo., Mrs. J. E. Cobb.
Mr. G. W. Cobb.
The Martinborough Lower Valley Telephone Association (registered) was founded in the year 1904 for the purpose of connecting the chief stations in the Lower Wairarapa with the Government office in Martinborough. The exchange is at Messrs. Pain and Kershaw's store, at Pirinoa, and a separate wire also connects with the firm's head-quarters at Martinborough and with the Government page 758 telephone exchange. There are about twelve subscribers. Mr. J. W. Kershaw is secretary. Mr. Geo. Hume is chairman of the association.
Lodge Waihenga, No. 150, N. Z. C. For many years the Freemasons of Martinborough travelled regularly to Greytown to attend the meetings there. Steadily the local number grew by the addition of others who came to settle in the district, and when it had reached about twenty, a movement was started to form a local lodge. The proposal was fuly discussed at meetings held in the Martinborough Hotel during the months of November and December, 1906, and when finally the plans were fully developed, the usual petition was sent to the Grand Lodge of New Zealand, which, in due course, granted a charter. Public tenders were then called for the erection of a Masonic hall, and the successful firm, Messrs. W. Benton and Son, deserve praise for the manner in which they carried out the work. It is a fine two-storeyed building, facing the Square, with a balcony. The interior fittings and furnishings are of the best, some of the members of the lodge having rendered valuable service in this connection by handsome donations of furniture and jewels. The lodge room measures thirty-six feet by twenty-four feet, and, together with an anteroom, takes up the whole of the first floor. The ground floor is similarly divided into a convenient ante-room and a large refectory. The lodge was opened in October, 1907, by His Excellency the Governor. The officers are: Mr. G. T. F. Hutton (W. M.), Mr. F. E. Perry (S. W.), Mr. Hugh Mackay (J. W.), Mr. A. McLeod (treasurer), and Mr. Alec Macgregor (secretary). There is a membership of about twenty-five, and meetings are held on the first Wednesday in each month.
“The Martinborough Star” is a tri-weekly newspaper, published in Martinborough on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It dates from the 4th of October, 1904, when it first appeared as a bi-weekly paper, and was owned by Mr. J. H. Claridge, who subsequently sold out to Mr. A. C. Nicol. It was issued as a bi-weekly paper until the 11th of February, 1907, when it became a tri-weekly. The office of the “Martinborough Star” is situated near the Square. The premises comprise a large well-lighted printing room, composing room, and public and private offices. The office is connected by telephone (No. 43). The old hand press has given place to a modern Payne and Sons Otley D. D. Wharfedale printing machine, driven by a Hercules gas engine. The “Star” contains four pages of seven columns each, and has a large circulation in the district. In politics it is independent.
Mr. Andrew Nicol, Manager and Editor of the “Martinborough Star,” was born in Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland, in October, 1870, and was educated at Hutchesontown Grammar School, in Glasgow. He then served an apprenticeship of five years to the printing trade, under Messrs. Hay, Nisbet and Company, of London and Glasgow, and came to New Zealand in the year 1891. Mr. Nicol found employment for three years as a journeyman at his trade in various parts of the Dominion, and in 1896 was appointed manager for Mr. E. H. Waddington's printing establishment in Masterton, where he remained until 1907, when he resigned to take over the “Martinborough Star.” Mr. Nicol is a director of ceremonies in the local lodge of Freemasons, is also a past master in the Order, and a past secretary in the Masterton lodge of Druids; he is also a member of the racing and coursing clubs and the Caledonian Society. In October, 1897, he married Miss Urie, of Glasgow, and has two sons and one daughter.
The Martinborough Bakery (D. M. Lister, proprietor), Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1896 by Mr. Croot, and was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1900. The premises comprise a shop, refreshment rooms, and the bakehouse, and there is also boarding accommodation. The bakehouse, fitted with the latest appliances, has a capacity of 300 loaves per day. An extensive retail trade is conducted, and there is a large daily output of bread. The proprietor makes a specialty of catering for wedding parties, balls, and other functions.
Mr. David McGill Lister was born in May, 1866, at Milton, Otago, where he was educated, and was afterwards apprenticed to the bakery trade under Mr. Wood, of Dunedin. He then worked successively in Wellington, Masterton, Eketahuna, and Greytown as a journeyman, and subsequently purchased his present business. Mr. Lister was one of the founders of the local lodge of Freemasons, in which he holds the office of junior deacon; is a member and was for some time a steward of the racing club, and is a member of the school committee. He is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Bennett, George Thomas, Builder and Contractor, and Sash and Door Manufacturer, Martinborough. This business was established by the present proprietor in the year 1904, and is conducted in premises situated in Strathberg street, consisting of an up-to-date wood-work factory, with an office, furniture showroom, and workshop. There is a complete and up-to-date plant of machinery, driven by a six-horse power portable engine. The proprietor is a well-known builder, and is entrusted with a large amount of work, and employs about six persons. Mr. Bennett was born at Karori, Wellington, on February 28th, 1861, was educated at the Thorndon public school, under Mr. Mowbray, and afterwards learned the building trade under his father in Wellington. He worked as a journeyman for some time in Wellington, and subsequently conducted business on his own account in Johnsonville and Greytown, prior to establishing his present business. In 1886 Mr. Bennett carved and forwarded to the Inter-Colonial Exhibition at South Kensington six walking sticks, for which he was awarded a medal and a certificate. While in Greytown Mr. Bennett was a member for two years of the Borough Council and the South Wairarapa Hospital Board, and was the first secretary of the South Wairarapa Hospital and Charitable Trotting Club. During his period of office he was instrumental in having the profits of the club devoted to the erection of the present operating theatre in the South Wairarapa Hospital. He is also chairman of the Martinborough School Committee. Mr. Bennett is married, and has three sons and one daughter.
Benton, William, and Son, Builders and Contractors, Featherston and Martinborough. The Martinborough branch of this well-known building firm was established in the year 1902, in which year Mr. W. O. Benton entered into partnership with his father, and took charge of the branch. The premises stand on a site one acre and a half in extent on Otaraia road, and comprise the joinery works, store sheds, a shop, and spacious yards, where the timber is thoroughly seasoned before being used. The firm have erected a number of buildings in the town and district, including the premises of Mr. G. H. Grimmer, Mrs. Kirby's boarding house, the premises of Mr. John Boyd, Mr. R. Smith's residence, Mr. D. Cameron's residence, the borough council chambers, the Masonic hall, and the country residences of Messrs. E. F. McLeod and V. Saunderson. On an average about twenty persons are employed in connection with the Martinborough business.
Mr. William Oswald Benton, of the firm of Messrs. W. Benton and Son, was born in January, 1876, in Featherston, where, after leaving school, he was apprenticed to the page 759 building trade under his father. He afterwards found employment successively with Messrs. Edwards and Palmer, Messrs. J. and A. Wilson, of Wellington, and with Mr. Coleman and Mr. H. Johns, of New Plymouth, for the latter of whom he acted for two years as foreman. In 1901 he returned to Featherston, entered his father's employment as foreman, and was soon afterwards taken into partnership. Mr. Benton is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Caledonian Society, a steward of the Racing Club, and is a member of the Order of Oddfellows. In 1901 he married Miss Marion Elizabeth Gilpin, of Featherston, and has one son and three daughters.
Aitchison, William, Coach-builder, Wheelwright, and General Blacksmith, Otaraia Road, Martin-borough. Telephone No. 32. P.O. Box, 23. This business was established in the year 1882 by Mr. John Hodge, and was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1902. The premises comprise an office, a smithy (with three forges), and a wood-work shop carrying a complete modern plant of machinery, driven by a ten-horse power Tangye gas engine. All kinds of vehicles are manufactured, and, in addition to coach-building, a large amount of implement making and repairing, horse-shoeing, and general blacksmithing work is executed, and twelve persons are employed in connection with the business. The proprietor is the local agent for Messrs. Cooper and Duncan, and also for the Empire horse and cattle medicines. Mr. Aitchison was born at Blue Spur, near Lawrence, in September, 1866, and was educated and brought up to the black-smithing trade at Heriot. He then spent two years and a half as a journeyman in New South Wales and Victoria, and on his return to New Zealand spent eighteen months with his brother in Heriot, and then went to Clyde, Central Otago. Later he bought his brother's business at Heriot, but after conducting it for three years sold out on account of ill-health. For two years he worked as a journeyman, afterwards settled in Kelso, Otago, where he conducted a blacksmithing business for four years, and then farmed for two years. Disposing of his property he found temporary employment in the Southland Implement Works, Invercargill, and subsequently removed to the North Island and acquired his present business in Martinborough. Mr. Aitchison takes a great interest in church work, is an elder and lay reader in the Presbyterian Church, and superintendent of the Dry River Sunday school. He is also a member of the Caledonian Society, of which he was for some time a steward, is president of the tennis club, and a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Aitchison is married, and has one son and three daughters.
The Tawaha Dairy Factory Company Limited was founded in June, 1907, with Mr. E. R. McDonald as chairman of directors, and Mr. John Jolly as secretary. The factory, situated in the Tawaha district, some miles from Martinborough, is a wooden building, with an up-to-date cheese-making plant, and has twelve suppliers. Mr. A. M. A. Wright is the manager.
The Glasgow House, Millinery and Drapery Establishment, Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1906, and is conducted in centrally situated premises, with large plate-glass windows. The front portion of the building contains the shop, showroom, and proprietor's office; and at the rear is the millinery and dressmaking department. Mr. Macgregor keeps a well-selected stock in all departments.
Mr. Alec Macgregor, proprietor of Glasgow House, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in February, 1872, and after leaving school learned the trade of designing, weaving, spinning, and dyeing of woollen and cotton fabrics. In this connection he studied at the technical college, where he gained a bronze medal and a diploma, and also secured the honours certificate of the City and Guilds of London Institute. For nine years he was employed by Messrs. A. Napier and Company, of Glasgow, and in 1902 resigned on account of ill-health and came to New Zealand. For three years and a half he conducted a successful business in Queen street, Masterton, and then removed to Martinborough, and established his present business. Mr. Macgregor is secretary of Lodge Waihenga, No. 150, N.Z.C., and is a member of the Order of Druids.
Playle, Edwin James, Tailor and Costumier, Otaraia Road, Martinborough. The premises consist of a large shop, a workroom, and fitting rooms. A large and well-selected stock of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring materials is kept, and a specialty is made of ladies' riding habits. Mr. Playle was born in Norwich, Norfolk, England, in June, 1866, and after leaving school learned the tailoring trade in some of the leading tailoring establishments in London. In 1890 he came to New Zealand, spent four years at his trade in Wellington, and then started business on his own account in Greytown. Eleven years later he joined his brother in Palmerston North, and for two years they successfully traded in partnership. Mr. Playle subsequently withdrew, and established his present business in Martinborough. He is a past master of the Order of Freemasons, and a member of the Order of Foresters. He is married, and has five children.
Wright, Adam, Hair-dresser and Tobacconist, Otaraia Road, Martinborough. The premises occupied by this business consist of a two-storeyed page 760 building, and contain a shop, a hair-dressing saloon, a billiard saloon, and a private residence. The hair-dressing saloon has two up-to-date chairs, and is well appointed. The billiard saloon, which is connected by sliding doors, with both the shop and hair-dressing departments, is one of the most complete in the district. It possesses a full-sized table, and is well furnished. The shop carries a large stock of tobaccos, pipes, and smokers' requisites, toilet and fancy goods, stationery, magazines, and newspapers, and is lighted throughout with acetylene gas. Mr. Wright was born in Belfast, Ireland, in January, 1868, and after leaving school served a short apprenticeship to the hair-dressing trade. He then came to New Zealand, spent a short time in Wellington as a journeyman, and at seventeen years of age started business on his own account in Greytown. For seventeen years he conducted a successful business there, and then entered into partnership with his brother, but eight years later the firm was dissolved, and Mr. Wright went to South Africa, where he worked for some time as a journeyman in Johannesburg. On his return to New Zealand he took over his brother's business in Greytown, but on the expiration of the lease removed to Martinborough, and established his present business. He is a member of the Order of Freemasons, and is a steward of the coursing club, in which he takes a keen interest. In the year 1900 he married Miss L. Pigott, of Liecester, England, and has one son.
Mr. A. Wright's Premises.
The Martinborough Cycle and Motor Garage (J. Jolly and D. Byrne, proprietors), Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1902, and was acquired in 1906 by Mr. J. Jolly, who in the following year took Mr. D. Byrne into partnership. The firm also conduct a Labour Bureau, and are agents for the Dresden Piano Company and the South British Fire Insurance Company.
Mr. John Jolly, of the Martin-borough Cycle and Motor Garage, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and came to New Zealand at eleven years of age. He followed farming pursuits for some time, and then took up dairy factory work. He served on the staff of the Ballance and Rongotea factories for several years, and later was employed by Messrs. Nathan and Company, and Messrs. Beattie, Lang and Company as creamery manager in the Manawatn and Hawke's Bay districts. Mr. Jolly is secretary of the Tawaha Co-operative Dairy Company, Limited, the Martinborough Caledonian Society, and other bodies.
Mr. Dudley Byrne, of the Martinborough Cycle and Motor Garage, was born in Rakaia, New Zealand, in the year 1874, and was brought up to the motor and cycle trade. In 1900 he joined the Fifth Contingent at Auckland, and had two and a half years' active service in South Africa, where he rose from a trooper to the rank of captain. On his return to New Zealand he resumed his trade as a motor and cycle engineer, and joined Mr. J. Jolly at Martinborough in 1907 to supervise the business there. For motor cycle track racing Mr. Byrne holds New Zealand records.
Pain and Kershaw, General Storekeepers and Merchants, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1873 by Mr. George Pain, who was joined in partnership by Mr. Haycock and Mr. Kershaw, Mr. Haycock subsequently withdrawing. The premises, which occupy a valuable corner section in the town, have a frontage of sixty feet to Otaraia road, and 100 feet to the Square, and comprise a shop, a showroom, an office, bulk storerooms, and packing and unpacking sheds. The building, which is of brick, with tile facings, is surmounted on the corner with a handsome dome, and it has expansive plate glass windows. The principal entrance is on the corner of the Square and Otaraia road, and there is a private entrance and covered-in cartway on the Square, at the rear of the building. The whole building is well appointed, and is lighted by a private installation of acetylene gas. The shop, which is divided into different departments, carries a heavy stock of drapery, boots and shoes, groceries, crockery, ironmongery, fencing materials, heavy iron goods, and furniture. Messrs. Pain and Kershaw also have grain and produce stores and stabling accommodation in another part of the town. The firm have a branch store at Pirinoa, which is a fine building, comprising both the page 761 shop and private residence. There is a public post office connected with the branch, which is also the local bureau of the Martinborough Lower Valley Telephone Association. Messrs. Pain and Kershaw are direct importers from the best manufacturers in England and America, keep a large up-to-date stock in all lines, and employ, together with the branch, about fifteen persons.
Mr. John William Kershaw, Managing Partner of Messrs. Pain and Kershaw, was born in Timaru, South Canterbury, in March, 1873, and was educated at Mt. Cook school, in Wellington. He afterwards found employment for a short time with Messrs. P. Hayman and Company, of Wellington, and then learned the grocery trade under Mr. W. Bristow. He was then employed for several years by the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Asociation in Masterton, Carterton, and Pahiatua. In October, 1898, he entered the employment of Messrs. Pain and Haycock, and in the following year became a partner. Mr. Kershaw is a Commissioner and treasurer of the Town Board, and a past master and treasurer of the local lodge of Oddfellows.
Chapman, William, and Company, Traction Engine Proprietors and Heavy Haulage Contractors, Venice Street, Martinborough. Telephone, No. 22. This business was established in the year 1900 by Mr. W. Chapman, and has now one of the finest plants in the North Wellington district. The plant comprises two traction engines of six and eight-horse power respectively, one threshing mill, two chaff cutters, one baling press, one portable saw-bench, four traction waggons, two water-carts, and two sleeping vans, and there is one seven-horse waggon team. In addition there are machinery storage sheds, stables, and ample paddock accommodation in Venice street. The company undertake wood-sawing, chaff-cutting, threshing, and the haulage of wool and other farm produce to the Featherston railway station. The firm constantly employ sixteen persons in connection with the business.
Mr. William Chapman was born at Doyleston, Canterbury, in August, 1872, was educated at the Flaxton main school, and for some years followed farming pursuits, chiefly with Mr. Hay Smith, of Kaiapoi Island. In the year 1896 he removed to the North Island, and for three years found employment as manager of Mr. McPhee's traction plant in Carterton. In 1899 he entered into partnership with Mr. Thomas Greenway as traction engine proprietors, and on the dissolution of the firm, about twelve months later, he started his present business. Mr. Chapman is a member of the Orders of Freemasons and Oddfellows. In 1898 he married Miss Smith, of the Wairarapa, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. W. Chapman.
The Martinborough Royal Mail Stables (H. MacKay, proprietor), Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was acquired in 1902 by Mr. MacKay, who also holds the Royal Mail contract between Martinborough and Featherston. The stables contain twenty-five stalls, besides a ladies' waiting room and an office. The plant includes four coaches, three brakes, three buggies, and five gigs. Fifty horses are employed in the business. The travelling public can always rely upon getting a reliable turn-out at the Royal Mail Stables, and the conveyance of sporting, holiday, and deerstalking parties is also undertaken.
Mr. Hugh Mackay, proprietor of the Royal Mail Stables, was born in Christchurch in April, 1862, and after leaving school removed to the North Island, where he had considerable commercial experience. He subsequently followed sheep station life for some years, and afterwards farmed for some time on his own account on the East Coast, until taking over his present business. Mr. MacKay has been a member of the Town Board from its inception, is treasurer and steward of the Lower Valley Jockey Club, president of the local football club, and vice-president of the Caledonian Society.
Orbell, James Wilkie, Forwarding Agent, General Carrier, Traction Engine Proprietor and Heavy Haulage Contractor, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1899, with a dozen draught horses and three waggons. A large trade is done in traction haulage, and goods are forwarded to any part of the Dominion. The plant includes an Aveling and Porter traction engine, another powerful engine and heavy road hauling apparatus, two road-metal waggons, and four ordinary heavy haulage waggons. A large and increasing business is conducted, and about twelve persons are employed. Mr. Orbell was born at Moeraki, Otago, in December, 1860, and is the second son of the late Mr. Arthur Orbell, of Waikouaiti. After leaving school he found employment in general farm work, shearing, etc., and was engaged in both New Zealand and Australia, prior to establishing his present business. Mr. Orbell is a member of the jockey, coursing, and rifle clubs. He is married, and has four children.
Ross, John McLeod, the taxidermist and deer-stalker of Martinborough, is known all over the British Empire as one of the most expert taxidermists and most skilful stalkers in the Australasian Colonies. For many years he has made a close study of the nature and habits of the deer, and is regarded as a reliable authority on matters pertaining thereto. Mr. Ross was born in Caithness, Scotland, page 762 in April, 1857, and during his early years saw much of deer and the manner of their capture in the Highlands of Scotland. After leaving school he went out as a shepherd, and at the age of sixteen came to New Zealand. His first employment was rough pioneering work in connection with the clearing and fencing of the back-block stations. During this time he did a large amount of deer stalking and deer head and skin curing, and becoming skilful in the work he determined later to devote his entire attention to it. During recent years many tourists have visited Martinborough, and Mr. Ross has invariably been employed as their guide in the deer stalking expeditions. At his home in the town Mr. Ross has facilities for carrying on his work as a taxidermist, and always has a large number of fine heads in various stages of curing. Mr. Ross takes a keen interest in public affairs; is a member of the Town Board, a judge at the Caledonian sports, and was a member of the school committee. He is married, and has one son and three daughters.
Selection of Heads in Process of Mounting, and Mr. J. M. Ross.