The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Masterton, situated on the Waipoua river, sixty-seven miles north-east from Wellington, is the chief town of the Wairarapa, and is in the county of Masterton. The surrounding country is level and undulating, and well suited for grazing, dairying, and mixed farming purposes. Masterton has two daily newspapers, a post and telegraph and money order office, four branch banks, two clubs, a museum, a district high school, a technical school, a large number of fine business premises, gasworks, several good hotels, and a number of handsome private residences. The churches are represented by the Anglican, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan denominations, besides a strong detachment of the Salvation Army. The industries of the town include a fellmongery, creamery, flour mills, saw — mills, cordial factories, sash and door factories, cement and pipe factory, engineering works, and coach and carriage factories. Grape growing and wine making is a growing industry, and there is also a large bee farm at Kuripuni. The town is well laid out, the streets are wide, and the centre of the town is a rectangle. Queen street, which is the principal business thoroughfare, has some fine shops, hotels, and other buildings, which present a good appearance. Among the more important premises may be mentioned those of Messrs. C. E. Daniell, J. D. Cruikshank, Hyde and Company, Graham and Company, the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association, and C. Smith, Limited. The recreation ground, or public park, occupies a reserve of about twenty-eight acres. The grounds are well laid out, prettily planted, and comprise a fine artificial lake. A few acres of the recreation reserve are cut off for the cemetery, in which there are many handsome monuments bearing the names of early settlers, prominent among them being that of Mr. Joseph Masters, described as “one of the founders of Masterton, after whom the town was named.” There is an important public body in Masterton, known as the Town Lands Trust, which was established by the early settlers for the advancement of education and other public affairs. The town possesses a hospital, acknowledged to be one of the most complete and best managed country hospitals in the Dominion. Adjacent to the town are the fish ponds and hatcheries of the Wellington Acclimatisation Society, and from these hatcheries trout are distributed throughout New Zealand and to the Australian States. Visitors are admitted to inspect these ponds and hatcheries every day, except Sunday, from 1 to 5 p.m. There is splendid trout fishing in the Waipoua, Ruamahanga, and Waingawa rivers, which are close to the town. The roads around and throughout the whole of the Wairarapa are excellent for cycling. Coaches run north-east to Taueru, Carswells, Tenui, Whakataki, Castle Point, Blairlogie station, Kohiwai, Riversdale, Waikaratei, and Homewood; and south to Carterton and Greytown. These coaches pass through a splendid farming district, and the drive in fine weather is very pleasant. There is an Agricultural and Pastoral Association in Masterton, the show of which is held in October.
The Borough Of Masterton was constituted in the year 1877. It has an area of 4,311 acres, of which some fifty acres are devoted to and retained for public purposes. The unimproved value of property in the borough is £415,989, and the revenue is £16,142. The population at the census of 1906 was 5,026, of whom 846 were ratepayers. The town is well lighted by gas, supplied from the borough gas works, thirty-four miles of streets have been formed, and there is a good water supply and drainage works. There are three fire brigades: two under the control of the borough council, one of which is equipped with steam engines and fittings. Members of the council for the year 1908: Messrs. J. A. Coradine (mayor), A. Haughey, J. P. Prentice, page 732 J. C. Ewington, E. Feist, J. Eliott, E. McEwen, F. W. Temple, J. H. Pauling, and W. Morris (councillors). Mr. D. Dobson, M.I.C.E., is the borough engineer, and Mr. R. Brown is the town clerk.
Councillor Arthur Haughey, who was elected to the Masterton Borough Council in the year 1907, has served on the works committee. He takes a keen interest in all public affairs, is a director of the Caledonian Society and treasurer of St. Patrick's Society. Mr. Haughey was born in Lurgan, near Belfast, Ireland, in the year 1864, and came to New Zealand in 1873. He completed his education at Christchurch, and then served an apprenticeship to the plastering trade under Mr. Adam Menzies. Subsequently he went to Australia, where he spent a number of years as a journeyman and contractor, and in mining pursuits. In the year 1899 he returned to New Zealand, and soon afterwards settled in Masterton, where he has since conducted a successful business, which gives employment to a considerable number of persons.
Councillor A. Haughey.
Councillor Joseph Phillip Prentice, who was elected a member of the Masterton Borough Council in the year 1907, is further referred to as a builder and contractor.
Councillor J. P. Prentice.
The Opaki Rifle Club, which is one of the strongest rifle clubs in the Dominion, was formed in the year 1890, with Mr. W. J. Welsh as president. The club has a membership of forty, and Mr. W. J. Winslade is the secretary. Frequent shooting competitions are held on the private range at Fairview, about five miles west from Masterton. The Opaki Rifle Club has some able marksmen, among whom are: Mr. George Hyde (the present champion of the Dominion, who also held the championship in 1902, and has been a member of the Bisley team), Mr. R. J. King (New Zealand champion for 1903), Mr. Henry, and Mr. Cameron. The uniform of the club is a dark blue Norfolk suit.
The Masterton Hospital, which is controlled by the Masterton Hospital Trustees, was first opened in 1877, in a small wooden building. A new hospital, however, has since been built at a cost of £10,000. It is an up-to-date brick building, standing on an area nine acres in extent, and has accommodation for twenty-four patients. In the isolated quarters there are two wards, which will accommodate eight patients. There are two medical superintendents, an honorary medical staff of eight, and the matron, Mrs. Morrison, is assisted by ten nurses. The trustees of the hospital are: Messrs. J. B. Keith (chairman), R. Brown, J. C. Ewington, W. Fisher, W. Harris, M. J. H. Jackson, F. W. H. Kummer, J. J. Mead, and H. J. O'Leary. Mr. J. C. Boddington has been secretary since 1898, and was formerly chairman for eighteen years.
The Masterton District High School was established as a primary school in the early days of the settlement, and was constituted a District High School in the year 1902. The building stands on a site six acres in extent at the south end of the town, and has a frontage to both Queen and Chapel streets. There is also a side school in Victoria street. The secondary department is a large brick building, and includes science and cookery rooms, and there are also extensive playgrounds and school gardens. The present roll contains about 900 names. The teaching staff consists of Mr. W. H. Jackson (head-master), thirteen assistant teachers, and six pupil teachers.
Mr. William Henry Jackson, Head-master of the Masterton District High School, was born in Oldbury, near Birmingham, England, in the year 1858. He was educated at the Oldbury National School and at the Saltley Training College. He came to New Zealand in 1883, became first assistant at Mount Cook School, Wellington, where he remained until 1888, filling the position of first assistant for four years and head-master for one year, and subsequently received his present appointment. Mr. Jackson is a member of the Anglican Church and acts as lay reader, is a member of the Town Lands Trust, and manager of the Technical School. He is married, and has one son and two daughters.
Cook, Percival Robert, M.B., B.Ch. (New Zealand University), Physician and Surgeon, Lincoln Road, Masterton. Dr. Cook was born in Wellington in December, 1867, and is the eldest son of Mr. Edmund Cook, for many years chief postmaster at Dunedin. He was educated at the public schools, the High School in Timaru, and at the Otago University, where he graduated M.B., B.Ch., in the year 1890. After practising for four years at Roxburgh, Central Otago, he went to England, and studied in London, Edinburgh, and Dublin. On his return to New Zealand he practised for six years in Rangiora and Amberley, and in the year 1905 established his present practice in Masterton. Dr. Cook is an honorary surgeon of the Masterton Hospital and of the Jockey Club. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Cowie, James Alexander, B.A., B.Sc, M.B., B.Ch., M.R.C.S. page 733 (England), L.R.C.P. (London), Physician and Surgeon, Masterton. Dr. Cowie established his present practice in May, 1906. and is a member of the medical staff of the hospital. He was born at Winton, Southland, in July, 1874, was educated at the Southland Boys' High School, and at the Otago University, where, in 1894, he graduated B.A., and in 1897, B.Sc. In the year 1899 he went to Glasgow, and in 1904 graduated M.B., B.Ch., having previously qualified as M.R.C.S. (Eng.), and L.R.C.P. (Lond.). He then spent some time in the Glasgow and London infirmaries, and made a special study of the eye, ear, and throat. He also acted as resident officer in the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital for six months. In the year 1906 he returned to New Zealand, for a short time was locum tenens in the Wellington Hospital, and then settled in Masterton. Dr. Cowie is honorary surgeon to the Ambulance Brigade, is a member of the Bowling Club, the Masterton and Commercial Clubs, is vice-president of the Cricket Association, and a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association. In the year 1908 he married Helen Stephen Baird, B.A., M.B., B.Ch., L.R.C.P., and L.R. C.S. (Edinburgh), and L.F.P.S. (Glasgow), a daughter of the Rev. James Baird, of Invercargill.
Clarkson, Harold, Surgeon Dentist, Queen Street, Masterton. The surgery is replete with all modern appliances, and two assistants are employed. Mr. Clarkson was born in Christchurch in November, 1880, and was educated at the Boys' High School, and then studied for his profession under Mr. S. S. Myers, of Christchurch and Dunedin. Soon after qualifying he established his present practice in Masterton. Mr. Clarkson is a member of the bowling club, and is connected with other local clubs.
Hosking, Rupert V., D.D.S., Surgeon Dentist, Perry Street, Masterton. This practice was established in the year 1904, and is conducted in convenient rooms. Dr. Hosking was born in Masterton in May, 1878, and is the third son of Dr. W. H. Hosking. He completed his education at the Wanganui Colleglate School, afterwards spent two years at Lincoln Agricultural College, and in 1897 went to Edinburgh, and studied for his profession at the Edinburgh University. Soon afterwards he went to South Africa, and joined the Cape Mounted Rifles, with which he served for two years, afterwards joining Baden Powell's Protectorate Regiment, and served through the siege of Mafeking, for which he holds the South African medal and bar. He was severely wounded at Mafeking. and invalided to England. Mr. Hosking subsequently went to America, studied for three years at the Philadelphia Dental College, and secured his diploma in May, 1904. He then returned to New Zealand, passed the New Zealand Dental Board examination in 1904, and established his present practice. Mr. Hosking is an honorary member of the Masterton Rifles, and for some time commanded the corps, is a member of the Orders of Druids and Freemasons, a member of the racing, football, and bowling clubs, the Masterton Club, and is treasurer of the Wairarapa Amateur Swimming Club.
Rothenberg, A. Henry, Surgeon Dentist, Queen Street, Masterton. This practice was established in December, 1907, and is conducted over Mr. Eton's pharmacy, in a suite of five rooms, comprising a surgery, an anaesthetic room, a laboratory, and two waiting rooms. Two assistants are employed. Mr. Rothenberg was born in London in December, 1877, and came to New Zealand with his parents at two years of age. A few years later he returned to England, where he remained until 1891. He again came to New Zealand, subsequently studied for his profession under Mr. H. Tripe, of Wellington, and qualified in the year 1905. He then went to England, and studied for eighteen months at Guy's Hospital, also studied for a short time in Philadelphia, U.S.A., and on his return to New Zealand established his present practice. Mr. Rothenberg has been a football player, and takes a keen interest in all athletic sports.
Swan, William Henry Collington, Surgeon Dentist, corner of Queen Street and Bannister Street, Masterton. This practice was established in the year 1901, and is conducted in convenient premises, which contain a well-appointed surgery, a waiting room, and a workroom, fitted up with every modern appliance. Four assistants are employed. Mr. Swan was born in Wellington in July, 1879, and is a son of Mr. W. C. Swan, of the Public Works Department, and a grandson of the late Dr. Henry Spratt, of Greytown. He was educated at the Wellington College, then studied for his profession under Mr. Harry Tripe, of Wellington, and afterwards spent two years at the National Dental Hospital, in London. Early in the year 1901 he returned to New Zealand, and established his present practice in Masterton. Mr. Swan married Miss E. E. O'Callaghan, of Christchurch, and has one son and one daughter.
Eton, Edgar George, Chemist and Druggist, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1884 by the late Mr. H. E. Eton, and was conducted by him until his death in August, 1894, when it was taken over by his youngest son, the present proprietor. The premises consist of a two-storeyed wooden building, measuring thirty-five feet by fifty feet, with expansive plate glass windows. The pharmacy, fitted with handsome glass show cases and glass top counters, contains a heavy stock of drugs, chemists' sundries, proprietary and patent medicines, and toilet requisites. Photographic requisites page 734 are also stocked. To the left of the pharmacy there is a handsomely-furnished consulting room, and at the rear there are drug stores and other apartments. As a dispenser Mr. Eton enjoys the full confidence of the people, has established a reputation for his own proprietary medicines, and does a very large business in both lines. Two qualified assistants are employed, one of whom is in attendance during the night. Mr. Eton was born in London, England, and came to New Zealand in the year 1880. He studied for his profession under his father, and for some time before his father's death was the chief assistant in the business. Mr. Eton has always taken a keen interest in public affairs, was chairman for three years of the District Hospital Board, was a member of the Masterton Borough Council for six years, and is a justice of the peace.
The Medical Hall (J. V. Gordon, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. This business, one of the oldest pharmacies in the Wairarapa district, was established in 1870, and for many years was conducted by Mr. T. G. Mason, who sold out to Mr. Gordon. The premises, which occupy a valuable corner site, were erected in the year 1904, and consist of a fine two-storeyed brick building, with ornamental facings. The shop is well fitted up and tastefully arranged. At the rear of the pharmacy is the dispensary, the drug store, an office, and a private room for the night attendant. Mr. Gordon keeps a large stock of drugs, chemists' sundries, proprietary and patent medicines toilet requisites, etc., and does a firstclass dispensing and general business. A qualified assistant and two apprentices are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. John Valentine Gordon, the proprietor of the Medical Hall, was born in Scotland in the year 1883. and is the fourth son of Mr. P. Gordon. He came to New Zealand with his parents at an early age, and, after leaving school, studied for his profession under Mr. Wilton, of Wellington, where he qualified in October, 1903. He afterwards acted as locum tenens in various parts of the Dominion, prior to purchasing his present business.
The Bank of Australasia, Masterton.
Mr. Douglas Moore Graham, Manager of the Bank of Australasia, Masterton, is a son of Mr. C. C. Graham, Official Assignee, Dunedin. He was born at Ben Lomond station, Waitaki, Otago, and was educated at the State school and the Thorndon Classical School. Wellington. Mr. Graham entered the Wellington branch of the Bank of Australasia in the year 1885, where he remained eighteen months. He then removed to Manaia, and afterwards to Marton and Wellington. In 1892 he was sent to Masterton as accountant, in 1897 was transferred as manager to Waipawa, and subsequently was appointed to his present position.
The Masterton Town Lands Trust dates from the early days of the Wairarapa settlement. The business of the Trust is to use the funds received from its rents and investments for the purposes of education and other public benefits. The trust lands aggregate sixty-two acres, the value of which has steadily increased, and the income derived is very considerable. The Masterton technical classes, founded in 1896 under the auspices of the Town Lands Trust, are accomplishing useful work; the Town Hall and other public buildings belong to the Lands Trust. The present name of the organisation was given subsequent to its foundation, when an Act was passed making it necessary to elect six trustees, two to retire annually. By a special Act in 1906 the trustees were increased to nine, three to retire annually. The present (1908) members are Messrs. T. B. Michell (chairman), C. E. Daniell, W. H. Jackson. E. G. Eton, T. Wagg, R. Krahagen, D. Caselberg, J. Hessey, and E. McEwen. Mr. A. Hathaway is the secretary.
The Wairarapa Saw-Millers' Co-Operative Association, whose head-quarters are situated in Queen Street, Masterton, was founded in June, 1902, with Mr. James Stevens as the first chairman. The objects of the association are to guard the interests of the saw-millers, to have one central distributing office for the output of the various mills, and to regulate the industry. The district controlled by the association extends from Woodville in the north, to Belmont, near Wellington, in the south, and has always been an important milling district. There are eighteen members. representing twenty-one mills, which employ over 300 persons, and place over 10,000,000 feet of timber per annum. Wellington is the principal market for the output, and Wairarapa absorbs the remainder. The association is controlled by a committee of five. Mr. J. M. Coradine is chairman, and Mr. McAulay is the manager, secretary, and treasurer.
The Wairarapa Saw-Millers' Accident Insurance Company is a distinct department conducted in the office of the association by Mr. McAulay. It was founded in October, 1904, has a membership of twenty-two, and is an entirely mutual affair, all surplus profits being used to diminish the rate of insurance. The company is in a flourishing condition, and, in addition to meeting all calls upon it satisfactorily, has a substantial reserve fund. It is controlled by three trustees.
Mr. William McAulay, Manager of the Wairarapa Saw-millers' Cooperative Association, was born in page 735 the year 1876 in Greymouth, where he was educated and gained commercial experience as an accountant. He then spent three years in the employment of the Rangitikei Saw-millers' Association at Taihape. before receiving his present appointments.
Howell, R. E., and Company, Limited, Auctioneers, Land, Estate, Financial and General Commission Agents, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1904. The premises occupy a central site on the Avenue, near Queen street, and consist of a two-storeyed brick building, measuring forty-five feet by seventy feet. The whole of the ground floor is reserved for the purposes of the business, and contains a furniture showroom, an auction mart, and convenient offices. General sales are held twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, when general merchandise, furniture, fruit, etc., are sold. In the summer fruit is an important factor in these sales, and in this connection Mr. Howell receives large consignments both from the Hawke's Bay and Nelson orchards. During the season four auction sales of trees and nursery stock are held. The firm also do a large business in connection with the sale of pictures and private clearing sales. Messrs. R. E. Howell and Company, Limited, are agents for the Sun Fire Office and patent fire extinguishers, for Mr. Moore, orchardist, Hastings, and for Mr. Edward Collie, the well-known furniture manufacturer.
Mr. Robert Edward Howell, Managing Director of Messrs. R. E. Howell and Company, Limited, was born at Riverton, Southland, in November, 1866, and is the second son of Captain Howell, of Fairlight Station, Lake Wakatipu. He was educated at private schools in Dunedin, spent five years in a legal office there, and then went to Australia, where he spent nine years in legal work in the office of the German Consul in Melbourne. He returned to New Zealand in the year 1897, joined the Government Valuation Department, and eight years later resigned in order to establish his present business. Mr. Howell is married, and has three children.
Nicol, John Robert, Auctioneer, Land, Estate, and General Commission Agent, Bannister Street, Masterton. This large business was founded in the year 1876 by Mr. F. H. Wood, who conducted it continuously until 1905, when it was acquired by Mr. J. R. Nicol. The premises consist of a brick building, measuring thirty-five feet by eighty feet, and comprise a general auction mart, showroom, and offices, with a storeroom at the rear. Regular weekly sales are held on Saturdays, clearing sales as required, and sales are also held at the branch businesses at Carterton, Greytown, and Featherston. As estate agents the firm also have a good connection, and their business is increasing. Mr. Nicol was born in Wellington, in February, 1869, and is the eldest son of Mr. James Nicol, who came to New Zealand in the ship “Blenheim,” in the year 1840, and was one of the earliest settlers in the Wairarapa. He completed his education at the Masterton High School, afterwards spent twelve years in the accountancy department of the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association, and then for eight years managed and edited the “Wairarapa Standard,” at Greytown, which he sold in order to enter the auctioneering business. Mr. Nicol was for five years a member of the Greytown Borough Council, was for some years chairman of the school committee, a director of the Permanent Investment and Loan Association, is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Racing Club, and the Caledonian Society, and is a justice of the peace. He is married, and has three children.
Ross and Company, Land, Estate, Financial, and General Commission Agents, Queen Street, Masterton. This well-known business was established by Mr. Ross in the year 1904. There is a large selection of sheep runs, farms, businesses, and residential sites on the books, and a specialty is made in exchanging local farm properties and other real estate for Wellington city property, in which connection a good business is done. Mr. Ross also holds a large number of agencies, and employs three persons in connection with the business.
Mr. Charles Cowper Ross was born in the year 1873, in Queenstown, Otago, where his father, Mr. G. M. Ross, was manager of the Bank of New Zealand. He completed his education at the Otago Boys' High School, and then followed farming pursuits. For some years he farmed in Southland and in Taranaki with considerable success, and subsequently removed to Masterton and established his present business.
Mr. C. C. Ross.
Varnham and Rose, Architects, Queen Street, Masterton. This firm, which was established in the year 1898, have designed many town buildings and country residences in Masterton and the surrounding district, and rank as one of the leading firms of their kind in the Wairarapa. They have a splendid reputation for their trustworthy superintendence of important contracts.
Mr. Milton Rhodes Varnham, the senior partner of Messrs. Varnham and Rose, was born in Wellington in October, 1860, and after leaving school was apprenticed to the building trade, which he afterwards followed for twenty-two years, during which time he also studied architecture. In the year 1893 he established himself as an architect in Masterton and Greytown, where he has since practised his profession. Five years later he page 736 was joined by Mr. Rose. Mr. Varnham is a musician of considerable ability, and was successively conductor of the Greytown and Papawai Native Band, the Waipawa Native Band, and the Greytown Orchestral Society. For six years he was a member of the Greytown Borough Council and the Town Lands Trust, and was also a member of the school committee and the church management committee. He is an enthusiastic angler and sportsman, is married, and has four sons and two daughters.
Mr. M. R. Varnham.
Mr. Earnest John Rose, of the firm of Messrs. Varnham and Rose, was born in the year 1867 in Wellington, was educated at the Thorndon Public School, and then served an apprenticeship to the building trade under Messrs. Murdoch and Rose. Subsequently he worked for some years as a journeyman, during which time he studied architecture, both privately and at the Wellington Technical College. In the early “nineties” he took up a rough bush property of 1,000 acres in the Forty-Mile Bush, near Mauriceville, which he operated for six years. Subsequently he joined his present partner, but he still carries on farming in partnership with his father. Mr. Rose is chairman of the Upper Plain Water Supply Committee, a member of the Fernridge School Committee, a past master of the Order of Oddfellows (with which he has been connected for over twenty years), and vice-president of the local bowling club (of which he was for two years secretary). As a young man he was a prominent oarsman in Wellington, and was a member of the celebrated crew, which for three years in succession carried off the four-oared championship of the Dominion, and for the same period he held the pairoared championship.
Mr. E. J. Rose.
Bacon, Frederick, Builder and Contractor, Lansdowne, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1901 by Messrs. Tait and Bacon. and in the year 1906 Mr. Tait withdrew, since when Mr. Bacon has conducted the business on his own account. The premises consist of an office and a workshop, which has a complete wood-working plant, driven by a six-horse power gas engine. Mr. Bacon is entrusted with a large amount of important work, and gives constant employment to forty persons. Among his recent contracts may be mentioned: Mr. Guy Williams residence and outbuildings, at Te Parae station; Mr. Cunningham's residence and woolsheds, at Ohuri; Mr. W. C. Buchanan's residence, near Gladstone; Mr. Eton's pharmacy, in Queen street; the residence of Mr. James, S.M., in Lansdowne; and the residence of Mr. J. W. Sellar, on Colombo road. Mr. Bacon was born at Avondale, Auckland, in June, 1865, and after leaving school learned the cabinet-making, polishing, and carpentering trades in turn. He finally adopted the building trade, and for fourteen years worked as a journeyman for Mr. C. E. Daniell, prior to starting his present business. Mr. Bacon was for some time a member of the fire brigade, and is a member of the racing club. He is married, and has three children.
Daniell, Charles Edward, Contractor, Saw-miller, Timber Merchant, Ironmonger, and Importer of Building and Furnishing Requisites, Queen Street, Masterton. This important business was established in 1880 by the present proprietor. The business premises consist of fine two-storeyed brick buildings, and, in addition, there are the saw-mills, planing mills, and joinery works, occupying a site of five acres near the railway station. The central port on of the main building contains the ironmongery department, with the general offices and architect's room at the rear, and on the first floor above several adjoining shops are spacious and well-appointed show rooms for furnishings, paper-hangings, decorative materials, plumbing and sanitary ware. There is a large and varied assortment of ironmongery, building materials, plumbers' tools and requisites, house furnishings, paper-hangings and decorative materials, sanitary ware, and fittings, and electro-plate and silver ware. The proprietor imports direct from the best English, Continental, and American markets, and keeps his stock thoroughly up-to-date with frequent shipments. New joinery works, a saw-mill, and planing mills were erected in the year 1902. The timber obtained from the bush area of surrounding districts is brought to the mills, where it is manufactured into the various requirements of building construction and joinery. This department gives employment to seventy persons. As a building contractor Mr. Daniell has a good reputation, he is entrusted with a large amount of private work, and gives employment to a large staff of tradesmen. Mr. Daniell was born in Great Malvern, England, in February. 1856, was educated in his native town, and was afterwards apprenticed to the building trade in Monmouthshire, where he started business on his own account. In the year 1880 he came to New Zealand, in the ship “Scottish Prince,” and settled in Masterton. He is a member of the Wellington Harbour Board, as well as of most of the local bodies of the district.
Lett Brothers, Builders and Contractors, Lansdowne, Masterton. This business has been established for a number of years, and a large number of buildings in and around Masterton have been erected by the firm.
Mr. William Lett, the senior partner of Messrs. Lett Brothers, was born in Wellington, in February, 1869, was educated at Kaitoke, and then spent some years in farming and saw-milling. In the year 1897 he settled in Masterton, for some time worked as a journeyman, and subsequently joined his brother in their present business. Mr. Lett married Miss Lawrence, a daughter of a well-known saw-miller, and has two sons.
Mr. W. Lett.
Prentice, J. P., and Sons, Builders and Contractors, Dixon Street, Masterton. This business was established by Mr. J. P. Prentice, who was subsequently joined in partnership by his two sons. The premises consist of an office and a large woodwork and joinery factory, fitted up with a complete plant of machinery, driven by an eight-horse power engine. Messrs. Prentice and Sons have gained the reputation of being reliable and efficient tradesmen, and have undertaken various large building contracts. Among these may be mentioned the Old Men's Home, Messrs. G. Hyde and Company's premises, and the residence of Mr. A. Caselberg.
Mr. Joseph Phillip Prentice, the senior partner of the firm of Messrs. J. P. Prentice and Sons, was born in the year 1857 in Wellington. In 1859 he removed with his parents to the Wairarapa district, and was brought up to farming pursuits. He subsequently learned the building trade, and found employment as a journeyman until starting his present business. Mr. Prentice takes a great interest in public matters, was for eighteen years an active member of the fire brigade, two years of which he was captain, and is now a life member; and as a lad he served in the Volunteer corps. He is a member of the Masterton Borough Council, a trustee of the Wesleyan Church, a past chief in the Order of Rechabites, has been a member of the Order of Foresters, is vice-chairman of the Mutual Benefit Building Society, a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is a representative bowler. Mr. Prentice is married, and has two sons and one daughter.
Tait, John, Builder and Contractor, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1901, under the style of Tait and Bacon, and in 1906 the partnership was dissolved, since when Mr. Tait has conducted a successful business on his own account. The premises occupy a site near the bridge at the north end of Queen Street, and here all the joinery work for the various contracts is manufactured. Mr. Tait has carried out several large contracts, including the Masterton Club, the Lenmore station homestead at Makuri, Mr. J. Barton's residence at Matakino, Mr. Brancepeth's station buildings, Mr. Betham's and Messrs. Lyttle and Sons' motor premises, and Messrs. Hendry and Buxton's drapery shop in Queen street. Six persons are constantly employed in the business. Mr. Tait was born in the Shetland Isles in the year 1857, his father being for some time captain of a coastal vessel, and subsequently proprietor of fishing boats. He was educated in his native parish, and spent some years in his father's fishing smacks. In 1874 he came to New Zealand, and, after two years of sheep-station life, learned the building trade under Mr. A. R. Wallis. After completing his apprenticeship he worked for a few years as a journeyman in Taranaki, and then settled in Masterton, where he has since resided. For many years he worked as a journeyman for the principal builders of the town until starting business on his own account in 1901. Mr. Tait is a Freemason, and was for nine years a member of the fire brigade, in which he held office as lieutenant. In 1887 he married Miss Lavinia Chandler, and has four sons and three daughters. “Devonshire House,” a fine accommodation house of twenty rooms in Victoria street, is conducted by Mrs. Tait, with the assistance of her daughters. The house is thoroughly up-to-date and well managed.
The Wairarapa Monumental Works (T. G. Hoar, proprietor), Masterton. This business was established in the year 1901, and the proprietor is entrusted with a large amount of work in the North Island. Mr. Hoar imports his materials from Europe, and manufactures from original as well as from imported designs. Five expert workmen are employed, and a large variety of memorial stones is maintained in the yards.
Mr. Thomas George Hoar was born in Hampshire, England, in December, 1869, and came to New Zealand at an early age with his parents. He was educated at the public schools in Wellington, where he learned his trade under Mr. Helyer, the well-known sculptor. Subsequently he worked for three years at his trade in Christchurch, then returned to Wellington, and later removed to Masterton and established his present business. Mr. Hoar has established a private school for instruction in designing and modelling. He has always taken a keen interest in public affairs, was for two years a member of the borough council, is secretary of the Red Star Football Club, and a member of the Cricket Association and the Poultry Club. Mr. Hoar is married, and has five children.
Dixon, Joseph, Aerated Water Manufacturer, Chapel Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1883, and is now one of page 738 the leading cordial factories in the Wairarapa district. The premises have a frontage of fifty feet, a depth of 200 feet, and comprise an office and showroom, a large factory, an essence and syrup room, and a bottle-washing room. The building is well appointed, and there is a complete plant of modern machinery. Aerated water, cordials, and syrups of all kinds are manufactured, and a considerable trade is done in one-gallon jars. The factory employs six persons, two large brakes, and six horses in connection with the business. A large number of the hotels, stores, restaurants, and shops in the town and district are supplied from the factory. Mr. Dixon was born in December, 1857, in Wellington, and is the second son of the late Mr. Edward Dixon. After leaving school he entered his father's factory, and afterwards worked for his brother, who had purchased the business. Later, he managed a business for his brother in Nelson for about three years, and was then employed by Mr. J. L. Bacon, of the Tory street factory. He subsequently removed to Masterton, and started his present business. Mr. Dixon has been captain of the local fire police for seven years, is a member of the fire brigade, and racing and trotting clubs, the Caledonian and Hibernian societies, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is a Freemason and an Oddfellow. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Hamill, Patrick, Draper and Clothler, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1894, by the present proprietor. The premises consist of a two-storeyed brick building, with a frontage of forty feet and a depth of eighty feet. The ground floor includes the drapery, haberdashery, silk, dress, hosiery, Manchester, clothing, mercery, and tailoring departments, with packing and bulk storerooms at the rear. Two large plate glass windows are tastefully arranged with the latest goods. Mr. Hamill is a direct importer, has a large country connection, and employs eighteen persons in connection with the business. He was born at Broomfield, near Castleblayney, County Monaghan, Ireland, in July, 1869, and was educated at the National School in Donaghmoyne. He then served an apprenticeship to the drapery trade in Carrickmacross, and was afterwards employed for two years in a drapery firm in Glasgow. In the year 1889 he went to Australia, landed in Melbourne, and for a time was employed in the West Melbourne docks, and then became a soft-goods traveller. He subsequently came to New Zealand, and after a short experience in sheep-station life, he again found employment as a soft-goods traveller, and travelled the country with a pack horse, until establishing his present business in Masterton. Mr. Hamill is a member of St. Patrick's Sports Association, the Caledonian Society, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Commercial and Farmers' Club, and the Racing Club.
McCay, Frank, Draper and Clothier, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in February, 1905, and is conducted in premises near the post office, the windows of which have an attractive display of the latest goods, imported direct from the manufacturers in Great Britain. The stock is new and up-to-date, and is divided respectively into fancy, dress, Manchester, mercery, hosiery, and millinery departments. Mr. McCay was born in Belfast, Ireland, in April, 1877, was educated at the grammar school, and afterwards apprenticed to the drapery trade. In the year 1900 he went to Australia, and after spending two years in a wholesale establishment in Sydney, came to New Zealand, and found employment for a short time in Wellington. He then returned to Ireland, but in the year 1904 again came to New Zealand, and subsequently established his present business.
Smith, C., Limited, Drapers, Queen Street, Masterton. Headquarters, Wellington. The Masterton branch of this well-known firm was first opened in 1883, in premises on the opposite side of the street, but, page 739 with the increase of business, the proprietors were compelled to enlarge their premises, and now they have one of the leading establishments in the Wairarapa district. The main frontage in Queen street extends for about thirty feet; and there is a depth of 125 feet; there are two fine entrances from Queen street, and large plate glass windows. The interior of the shop is well fitted up, special attention being paid to the lighting. The front part of the building contains the clothing, mercery, and drapery departments. The showroom, measuring thirty feet by forty-five feet, is large and well lighted, and tastefully arranged, and there are also fitting rooms, waiting rooms, millinery and dressmaking rooms. There is a cash trolley system connecting every department with the office. The firm import direct from the leading British markets, and carry a heavy stock, which is handsomely and tastefully arranged. Twelve persons are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Frank Whitton, Manager of Messrs. C. Smith, Limited, has been connected with the firm for thirty years, having joined Mr. Smith as a junior in the year 1878. He qualified himself in all branches of the business, and in 1887 opened, and for twelve months managed, the Westport branch, in the following year opened the Reefton branch, which he conducted for six months, and in 1889 was appointed to his present position. Mr. Whitton was born in Peterborough, Huntingdonshire, England, in the year 1864, and after leaving school emigrated to New Zealand in 1877.
Mr. F. Whitton.
Webb, Albert, Tailor and Costumier, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in July, 1900, and is conducted in convenient premises. Mr. Webb carries a large stock of the best tailoring materials, a specialty is made of ladies' costumes, and he has gained a reputation as a first-class tailor. He was born at Riverton, Southland, in June, 1879, was educated in Wellington and in Masterton, and apprenticed to the tailoring trade in the latter town. He afterwards served for five years under Messrs. Berry and Orr, in Wellington, and then went to Sydney. On his return to New Zealand he spent one year in Wellington, then removed to Masterton, and established his present business.
Mr. A. Webb.
Hyde, G., and Company, Furniture Manufacturers and Importers, Queen Street, Masterton. This firm established their present business in October, 1906. The premises, which are specially adapted to the business, consist of a commodious brick building, with a frontage of sixty feet. The main building has three expansive plate glass windows, and carries a large stock of the firm's manufactured and imported furniture. The factory is a detached two-storeyed wooden building, at the rear of the main premises, measuring approximately thirty feet by sixty feet. At the rear of the factory, and running into Dixon street, are commodious and well-built timber sheds, and a brick room for the storage of kapoc, etc. There are also timber yards in Church street. There is a complete up-to-date plant of woodwork machinery, driven by a twelve-horse power Tangye engine, and there are also polishing and upholstering rooms. All classes of furniture are manufactured, and the firm have an excellent name for their workmanship.
Mr. George Hyde, of the firm of Messrs. G. Hyde and Company, was born in Bienheim in August, 1868. After leaving school he served an apprenticeship of six years under Mr. W. T. Steer. He then travelled through the Dominion, working at his trade as a journeyman, and afterwards went to Sydney, where he spent five years in the employment of Messrs. David Jones and Company, Anthony Hordern and Sons, and Bartholomew and Company. On returning to New Zealand he conducted a business on his own account for six years in Pahiatua, then sold out, and, after spending a short time in Sydney, settled in Masterton. For twelve months he conducted business on his own account, and then for eight years was manager of the furniture department of the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association, which position he resigned in order to establish his present business. Mr. Hyde has been connected with rifle clubs for a number of years, as a lad he won the marksman's badge in Blenheim, in 1902 and 1908 carried off the championship of the Dominion, at Trentham, and in the year 1903 was runner-up for the same championship.
Huges, John Leonard, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Queen Street, Masterton. The premises in which this business is conducted contain a shop, with an expansive plate glass window, and a well-appointed saloon fitted up with three chairs. The shop carries an assortment of tobacconists' wares, leather and fancy goods, brushware, toilet and sporting requisites, and is fitted up in excellent style. Mr. Hughes was born in Christchurch in June, 1879, was educated at the Richmond School, and learned his trade under Mr. W. J. Alpe, with whom he spent nearly ten years, latterly as chief hair-dresser. He then removed to Wellington, where he spent five years with Messrs. Wahren and Staub, and in February, 1905, established his present business in Masterton. Mr. Hughes is a Freemason, an Oddfellow, and a member of the Wesleyan Church. He is married, and has one child.
The Central Hotel (F. S. Cooper, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. The “Central” is a fine two-storeyed wood and iron building. It contains on the ground floor a fine dining room (capable of accommodating 100 guests), a spacious billiard room, a commercial room, and several comfortable sitting rooms. On the first floor there are twenty-five rooms, including bedrooms, sitting rooms, two bathrooms, with hot and cold water laid on, and lavatories. The Central Hotel is thoroughly well managed, precaution has been taken for escape in case of fire, a good table is kept, the liquors are of the best brands, and guests receive every care and attention.
Mr. Frederick Stephen Cooper, proprietor of the Central Hotel, was born in Wellington, in April, 1857, his father being for many years proprietor of the Thistle Hotel. He was educated at the Thorndon public school, under Mr. Mowbray, and afterwards served an apprenticeship to the printing trade under Mr. James Hughes. For some time he was employed in the Government Printing Office, and also in other printing offices both in New Zealand and Australia. Subsequently he printed the “Licensed Victuallers' Advocate” in Christchurch, and later printed and conducted the “Catholic Times” in Wellington, under the superintendence of Archbishop Redwood. During this time he was also engaged in hotel-keeping, and successively conducted the “Victoria,” the “Thistle,” and the “Empire,” in Wellington, and was also steward for twelve months of the Working Men's Club, before acquiring the Central Hotel. Mr. Cooper was a member of the first borough council of Onslow, Wellington, is a Freemason of twenty-one years' standing, and a Druid, and has taken a keen interest in athletics, having been an amateur champion runner and a prominent oarsman.
King and Henry, Gunsmiths and Importers of General Sporting Requisites, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was acquired in the year 1904, and is conducted in a two-storeyed brick building, containing a large shop, and a workroom at the rear. The firm carry a fine stock of guns, ammunition, and all kinds of sporting requisites. They also make a specialty of fishing tackle, and keep a splendid assortment of goods in this line. The firm issue a very complete catalogue.
Mr. Richard John King, senior partner of Messrs. King and Henry, was born in Greytown North in June, 1871, was educated at the public school, and brought up to mercantile life. He is a well-known rifle shot, is an ex-New Zealand champion, and holder of many shooting honours.
Mr. Wliliam James Henry, of the firm of Messrs. King and Henry, was born in Dublin, Ireland, in July, 1875, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at the public schools in Wellington and Masterton, and afterwards spent fifteen years in the hardware trade prior to joining Mr. King in partnership. Mr. Henry is a member of the Opaki Rifle Club, and is a well-known rifle shot.
The Osmond Cycle Works (H. Sinclair, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1905 in premises near the south end of Queen street, where the old shop still stands. In January, 1908, Mr. Sinclair purchased the old-established branch business of Messrs. E. Reynolds and Company, Limited, and removed his stock to the premises occupied by this firm. The shop, measuring twenty-five feet by sixty feet, is well fitted up, and has a fine plate-glass display window. At the rear is a well-appointed workshop, where expert tradesmen are constantly employed. A varied stock of bicycles and accessories is kept. The firm's special machine, the “Osmond,” is manufactured in Birmingham. The “Royal Saxon,” “Rudge-Whitworth,” “Velox,” and the “Rover” are also stocked, and with every machine a twelve-months' guarantee is given. Repairs of all kinds are neatly and quickly executed.
Mr. Harold Sinclair, the proprietor, was born at Wainui-o-Mata, near Wellington, in December, 1880, and was educated at Palmerston North. He is an Oddfellow, a member of the Caledonian Society, St. Patrick's Day Association, and is also connected with other local organisations. He is married, and has three children.
Mr. H. Sinclair.
The Wellington-Wairarapa Motor and Cycle Company, Limited, Queen Street and Chapel Street, Masterton. The latter premises, which were erected in 1907, consist of a fine two-storeyed brick building, with a frontage of forty feet and a depth of 100 feet. There is a large double entrance to the garage, and on the ground floor are also the offices, a ladies' waiting room, a stock room, the engine room, vulcanising room, and the night-attendant's room. The front portion of the first floor is occupied by the offices and rooms of the Wairarapa Automobile Association, and at the back of these the company have a tyre stock room, a painting room, and a building and retreading department. There is a complete modern plant of machinery for building, repairing, vulcanising, recharging, and retreading purposes. The firm are direct importers of Allday's and Onion's motor cars, for which they are sole agents, and also Brown's, Singer's, and Simms-Welbeck cars. A large stock of motor cars and accessories is kept. The head-quarters of the firm are in Queen street, where a large retail cycle business is conducted.
Mr. Geoffrey Porter, Manager of the Motor Garage of the Wellington-Wairarapa Motor and Cycle page 741 Company Limited, was born in October, 1878, on board the ship “Waitangi,” in which his parents emigrated to New Zealand. He was educated at the South Malvern and Glentunnel public schools, and afterwards found employment with Mr. W. J. Barlow, cycle manufacturer, of Christchurch. At this time he was known as one of the leading road riders, and put up several splendid racing records. After spending two years in Christchurch, latterly with the Massey-Harris Company, Limited, he worked for a similar period in the Manawatu district for the Canada Motor and Cycle Company, and then returned to Christchurch. There he entered the firm of Messrs. E. Reynolds and Company, but a year later started business on his own account in Ashburton. In the latter part of 1907 he accepted an appointment with the Automobile Company Limited, of Wellington, but subsequently resigned to take up his present position.
The Tararua Vineyard, Masterton. The vineyard is situated two miles from Masterton, within the borough boundary. It was established in the year 1898, and Mr. George Lamb came in as a partner in 1902, purchasing the property in 1904. The vineries embrace seven acres of level land, and the chief grapes grown are the Pinot, the Black Hamburg, and a few Golden Chasslas. The proprietor has also an area of over five acres, on the opposite side of the road, for future extension. Adjoining the vineyard there is a residence, and at the rear of this are the fermenting house, cellar, etc.
Mr. William George Lamb, proprietor of the Tararua Vineyard, was born in Sydney, Australia, in January, 1880, and is a son of Dr. William Lamb, of South Australia. He was educated at the Dunedin public schools and the Wellington College, joined the service of the Bank of New Zealand in 1896, and resigned in the year 1902 to take over his present business.
The Cement Pipe Company, Limited, Masterton. This firm was established in October, 1904, under the management of Mr. Thomas Evans. The works stand on a site one acre in extent, and consist of the main factory, a shed, and spacious curing yards. There is a modern plant of machinery, which is driven by a fifteen-horse power Crossley gas engine, and about seven persons are employed in connection with the business. Only the best materials are used, and the output finds a ready sale.
Mr. Thomas Evans, Manager of the Cement Pipe Company, Limited, was born in Berkshire, England, in 1875, came to New Zealand with his parents at an early age, and was educated at St John's College, Auckland. For five years he farmed in the Waikato, for a similar period was engaged in commercial pursuits in Auckland, and then went to Duneden. When the Jensen Patent Construction Company, with which he had been connected, went into liquidation, he bought their interests and for some time conducted business in Christchurch, but subsequently removed to Masterton. Mr. Evans holds patent rights over Hawke's Bay, Taranaki, and Wellington for the famous Keilberg plant.
Aitken, Charles Conrad, Bookseller, Stationer, and News Agent, Queen Street and the railway station, Masterton. This business was established in May, 1905, by the present proprietor. The shop is well appointed, and carries a large and well-selected stock of current literature, periodicals, newspapers, stationery, school requisites, and fancy goods. The proprietor is also sole agent, in Masterton, for the “Dominion” newspaper. Mr. Aitken was born in Nelson in December, 1883, was educated in Wellington, and brought up to commercial life. He was afterwards for four years in the employ of Mr. J. B. Innis, and then became newspaper agent on the Wellington-Napier railway line, in which business he was engaged for eight years. He afterwards settled in Masterton, and established his present business.
Giddings, Arthur John, Grocer and Provision Merchant, Queen Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1901, and the present premises were acquired in the year 1904. They consist of a two-storeyed building, with a frontage of thirty feet and a depth of seventy feet. The shop, which is a large, well-appointed apartment, carries an assorted stock of general merchandise, and at the rear of this are the office and the crockery and fancy goods department There are also detached grain sheds, storerooms, and stables. Mr. Giddings is a direct importer, keeps his stock thoroughly up-to-date, and employs five persons in connection with the business. He was born at Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England, in January, 1872, was educated at Trowbridge Public School, and was brought up to the grocery trade under Messrs. Wootton and Company, with whom he spent four years. He afterwards worked in large firms at Bath and Ludlow, and then entered the employment of the well-known firm of Messrs. Shoolbred and Company, of London, where he remained for four years. In the year 1895 he came to New Zealand, and after working for Messrs. Wardell Brothers, of Wellington, for a short time, started business on his own account in Cuba street, which he conducted for some time, then sold out, and removed to Masterton. Mr. Giddings is a past chief ranger in the Order of Foresters, and a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Racing Club. He is married, and has two children.
Whittaker, James, General Storekeeper, Queen Street, Masterton. This extensive business was established in the year 1895. The premises consist of a shop (with a frontage of forty-five feet), a general office, a large bulk store, and stables. The shop has 2,500 square feet of floor space, is well lighted and ventilated, and is most conveniently fitted up and appointed. The proprietor is a direct importer, and carries a heavy stock of general merchandise, including groceries, crockery, ironmongery, brush-ware, and produce. Four persons are employed in connection with the business. Mr. Whittaker was born in Timaru in April, 1868, and after leaving school served an apprenticeship to the general storekeeping trade. He then removed to Masterton, and established his present business. He holds the rank of lieutenant in the local mounted corps, and is a Freemason. Mr. Whittaker is married, and has four children.
Fly and Young, General Carriers and Mail Contractors, Bannister Street, Masterton. This business was established in the year 1897 by Mr. Fly, who was joined in partnership by Mr. Young in 1905. The premises, which occupy a three-quarter-acre section, consist of a stable, with fifteen stalls; a storehouse, with waiting room and office; and a special shed in which the hospital ambulance is kept. Fifteen horses, two lorries, three express carts, and one spring dray are employed in the business. The firm hold the Government mail contract between the Masterton Post Office, Kuripuni, and the railway station; they are also agents for the New Zealand Express Company, Limited, and do a large business in the cartage of travellers' samples between the station and the town. They have large and convenient sample rooms in the Exchange Buildings, in Queen Street, and ample storage accommodation at their premises in Bannister street. The premises are connected by telephone (No. 126), and are the starting point of the Gladstone page 742 and Long Bush Royal Mail coaches.
Mr. William James Fly, of Messrs. Fly and Young, was born in Portsmouth, England, in March, 1865, and came to New Zealand in 1874. He completed his education in Geraldine, South Canterbury, afterwards gained clerical experience, and then went to the West Coast, where he drove the Westport-Reefton mail coach for six years. Later he spent two years in the Wellington City tram service, then conducted business as a carrier on his own account in Eketahuna and Pahiatua for a similar period, and in 1891 settled in Masterton. Mr. Fly is a Freemason, and is also a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Racing Club. He is married, and has four children.
Mr. W. J. Fly.
Mr. Alexander Young, of Messrs. Fly and Young, was born in Palmerston, Otago, in September, 1875, and after leaving school was brought up to the bookselling business. He then found employment successively on the Shag Valley station, Otago, the Mount Nessing and Albury stations, in South Canterbury, and then removed to Wellington, where he was employed as carter for the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association for five years, before joining his present partner. Mr. Young is a member of the Jockey Club and the Order of Oddfellows.
Mr. W. Lenz.