The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Decorators, Oil and Colour Merchants
Decorators, Oil and Colour Merchants.
Beadnall, Reginald Walter . Picture Framer and Undertaker, The Square, Palmerston North. Established in the year 1902, the business premises consist of a large shop and showroom, with a workshop at the page 677 rear. The stock is imported direct from the manufacturers. Mr. Beadnall was born at Middleborough, England, came to New Zealand in the year 1879, and landed at Wellington. He learned his trade under his father. Mr. Thomas Beadnall, with whom he worked for a number of years before starting on his own account at Palmerston North. Mr. Beadnall is quarter-master sergeant of the Manawatu Mounted Rifles, and is also a member of the Fire Brigade and the local lodge of Oddfellows and Druids.
Osgood and Hancock (J. Osgood and G. J. Hancock), Painters, Paperhangers, Signwriters, and House Decorators, Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1896, and occupies large premises near Messrs. Holben and Kirk's new building. The firm import from the best markets, and always carry a large stock of paperhangings, picture framings, glass, mirrors, paints, oils, and colours. They conduct a large and increasing business, and give constant employment to twelve persons.
Mr. James Osgood, of Messrs. Osgood and Hancock, was born in the year 1867, in Blenheim, where he was educated and brought up to the painting trade. After serving an apprenticeship of seven years, he spent eighteen months in business on his own account in Marlborough, and then removed to the North Island. He worked for some years as a journeyman in Wanganui, and later in Palmerston North, and then joined Mr. Hancock to establish their present business. Mr. Osgood has had seven years' volunteer service in Blenheim and Wanganui, is a Past Chief Ranger in the Order of Foresters, a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Employers' Association, the Starr-Bowkett Building Society, and the Methodist Church. He is married, and has two sons.
Mr. J. Osgood.
Mr. George James Hancock, of Messrs. Osgood and Hancock, was born in England in the year 1866, and came to New Zealand at an early age. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the painting trade under Mr. Tinney and Mr. R. Martin, of Wellington, and then settled in Palmerston North, where he was employed for seven years by Mr. Dixon, before joining his present partner. Mr. Hancock served for sixteen years as a volunteer, and rose to the rank of sergeant in the Te Aro Rifles, Wellington. He is lieutenant of the local Fire Police, a member of the Order of Foresters, the Orange Lodge, the Employers' Association, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the Working Men's Club. Mr. Hancock is married, and has five sons and four daughters.
Mr. G. J. Hancock.
Tingey, R. and E., and Company, Limited (A. Tingey, Managing Director), Oil and Colour Merchants, Broad Street, Palmerston North. The local branch of this firm was opened in the early “eighties” in the Square, and in 1890 was removed to its present position in Broad Street. The premises consist of a two-storeyed wooden building, and contain a shop, with fine plate-glass windows, an office, and workrooms. A large stock is carried in paints, oils, paper-hangings, moulding, plate and sheet glass, etc. The firm do a large business, and employ twenty persons.