The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mangaweka, situated on the Main Trunk railway line, thirty-two miles north-east from Marton, is a comparatively old settlement, originally known as “Three Log Whare.” Saw-milling and farming are the chief pursuits of the settlers, and the country is well suited for grazing purposes. The township stands on a small flat, close to the Rangitikei river bank, nearly a mile north-east from the railway station, with which it is connected by a good road. A good coach service runs between the station and the township. Mangaweka has one principal street, extending from the railway station through the township. It contains a large hotel, three boarding houses, a post office and savings bank, a public school, churches, two public halls, a public library, a local newspaper, and a branch bank.
The Mangaweka Government Defence Rifle Club, which was founded in the year 1898, has always been a popular body and has maintained a full membership. Regular and frequent shooting competitions take place on the range at Pouhawakaroa, about a mile from the township, and the club takes part in inter-club shooting contests. Two belts and a cup are also annually competed for, the former being presented respectively by the club and Mr. James Georgetti, and the latter by Messrs. Munro and Bonnor. An annual ball is held in connection with the club. Mr. C. H. Humphrey is the captain, and there are two vicecaptains and a secretary.
Captain Charles Henry Humphrey, of the Mangaweka Government Defence Rifle Club, has taken a keen interest in rifle shooting for many years, and is the holder of many trophies and prizes. He has won the Munro -Bonnor cup twice in succession, in 1906 won the club's belt, the Georgetti belt, a special cup presented by Mr. Bonnor, several medals, and on one occasion was successful in winning every trophy presented during the year, including the association cup.
Captain C. H. Humphrey.
The North Rangitikei Rifle Association was founded in the year 1905, through the efforts of the Pukeokahu and Mangaweka Defence Rifles. Its head-quarters are at Mangaweka, and twelve rifle clubs are affiliated to the association. The rifle range is situated two miles from the township, and is an excellent one. Shooting competitions are held on Good Friday and the following day; about £100, in prizes and trophies, are annually distributed, and teams from places as far distant as Masterton and Wanganui take part in the contests. As showing the good work of the association it is noteworthy that ten out of the first fifty at the last Trentham meeting were members of the association. Dr. Turnbull is secretary of the association, and its success is largely due to his efforts.
Turnbull, Robert Brown, M.B., Ch.B., D.P.H., Mangaweka. Dr. Turnbull was born in the year 1877 in Ross-shire, Scotland, was educated at the public school, at Raining's Secondary College in Inverness, and afterwards at the Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.B., Ch.B., in 1889. For twelve months thereafter he practised in Lancashire, England, whence he removed to Lerwick, in the Shetland Islands, where he also practised for a short time. He then took a special course at the Edinburgh University, and secured his diploma as a doctor of public health. After practising for a few months in Northamptonshire he came to New Zealand, and settled in Mangaweka, where he has since conducted a successful practice. Dr. Turnbull takes a keen interest in military affairs, is a member of the local Rifle Club and secretary of the North Rangitikei Rifle Association; he is also one of the managers of the Presbyterian Church, and a member of the school committee. Dr. Turnbull is married, and has one child.
Mills, George Wilson, Baker and Confectioner, Broadway, Mangaweka. This business was established in the year 1907 by Mr. Mills, who has since built up a large connection. The bakehouse in connection with the business is under the charge of a competent baker. Bread is delivered throughout the Mangaweka district. A special feature of the business is catering for balls, banquets, picnics, etc. Mr. Mills was born in the year 1873 at Hopai Bay, Pelorus Sound, Marlborough. After leaving school he followed farming pursuits until 1902. He then removed to the North Island and started business as a photographer, which he conducted successfully until he established his present business. Mr. Mills is churchwarden of the local Anglican Church, a member of the cemetery trustees and the library committee, and an Oddfellow. He is married, and has one son.
The Mangaweka Steam Carriage Works (C. L. Zimmerman, proprietor), Mangaweka. This business was founded in 1900, and is now one of the largest coachbuilding, smithing and engineering establishments in the district. The present premises were built in 1907, and comprise a large smithy (with two forges), an engineering shed, and the coach-building and repairing departments. They are replete with modern machinery and tools necessary to the turning out of first-class workmanship. page 633 The firm manufacture all classes of vehicles, both heavy and light, undertake all classes of engineering and fitting work, and have also a good smithing connection. Four persons are employed in the business.
Mr. Charles Leopold Zimmerman, proprietor of the Mangaweka Steam Carriage Works, was born in the year 1875 at Oxford, North Canterbury, where he was educated at the public schools, and brought up to the blacksmithing trade. He then went to Christchurch, and was employed for two years and a half by Messrs. Lucas Brothers, engineers and general smiths. Mr. Zimmerman then removed to the North Island, and was employed successively in the Lower Hutt, Feilding, Rongotea, Woodville, and Hunterville, up to the year 1900, when he acquired his present business. He is married, and has three sons.
Mr. C. L. Zimmerman.
The Premier Coach and Carriage Factory (S. Dixon, proprietor), Broadway, Mangaweka. This business was established in the year 1896, and was acquired by its present owner in August, 1906. The premises comprise a large smithy, and a well-appointed carriage factory, where all kinds of vehicles are built and repaired. Five persons are constantly employed.
Mr. Stanley Dixon, the proprietor of the Premier Coach and Carriage Factory, was born in the year 1870, in Wellington, New Zealand, where he was educated at the public schools and Boys' Collegiate School. He served an aprenticeship to the coachbuilding trade, under Mr. John Fitchett, of Wellington, and was afterwards employed for a time at the Hillside Workshops, Dunedin. He spent some years in Masterton, Pahiatua, and at Utiku, before acquiring his present business in Mangaweka. Mr. Dixon is a member of the domain and cemetery boards, the Wesleyan Church, and the local lodge of Oddfellows. He is married, and has two sons and one daughter.
McLaughlin, James, Painter, Paperhanger, and Signwriter, Mangaweka. This business was established in the year 1902, and has a good connection; all classes of work are under taken in any part of the district. An efficient staff is constantly employed, and a full stock of paints, oils, colours, and paperhangings is maintained. Mr. McLaughlin was born in the year 1857, in County Tyrone, Ireland, where he was educated at the public school. In 1879 he came to New Zealand, found employment for some years in Canterbury, and then removed to the North Island. He worked at his trade successively in Taranaki and Wanganui, and finally settled in Mangaweka. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the cemetery trustees. He is married, and has two children.
Mr. J. McLaughlin.
The Elite Tailoring Emporium (J. Donn, proprietor), Broadway, Mangaweka. This business was established by Mr. James Donn in the year 1906. The premises are situated in the centre of the town, and a fine stock of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring materials, imported direct from the English manufacturers, is carried.
Mr. James Donn was born at Caithness, Scotland, in the year 1882, and was educated and brought up to the tailoring trade in Dunbeath. He served an apprenticeship of four years with Messrs. Adam McKay and Sons, and then went to the south of Scotland, was employed by various firms, and gained certificates of merit in the page 634 Edinburgh Art School. In 1905 he came to New Zealand, and was employed for some months by Mr. John Brunton, of Hunterville, before starting business on his own account in Mangaweka. Mr. Donn is a member of the committee of the local Presbyterian Church and is superintendent of the Sunday School. He is also an Oddfellow and a member of the Independent Order of Good Templars.
Humphrey, Charles Henry, General Cash Draper, Broadway, Mangaweka. This business was established by Messrs. T. White and Company in 1900, and was acquired by Mr. Humphrey in the year 1903. The shop is a large and well-lighted one, with double plate-glass windows, and carries a large stock of ladies' and gentlemen's clothing, dress goods, haberdashery, millinery, mercery, and boots and shoes.
Thompson and Company (J. W. Gannon, proprietor), Ladies' and Gentlemen's Tailors, Broadway, Mangaweka. The shop is centrally situated, is well-fitted up and appointed, and the best style and finish of work is turned out. The workroom, measuring thirty feet by eighteen feet, is well-lighted by three skylights and a large window. A fine selection of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring materials is stocked, and sixteen persons are constantly employed. In June, 1907, a branch business was opened at Ohakune, north of Taihape.
Mr. John William Gannon, the proprietor of the above business, was born in the year 1869 at Hokitika, Westland, where he was educated, and afterwards apprenticed to the tailoring trade in Reefton. In 1889 he went to Melbourne, and after working for some time there, and in the country towns, he settled in Sydney, where he started business on his own account. Subsequently he took a position as head cutter for Mr. Dixon, of Zeehan, Tasmania, and two years later again started on his own account at Strahan. In 1903 he sold out, returned to New Zealand, and acquired his present business in Mangaweka. Mr. Gannon is a widower, and has one daughter.
Campbell, Dougal, Hair-dresser and Tobaceonist, Broadway, Mangaweka. This business was established in 1896 by Mr. Mercer, and was acquired by Mr. Campbell in the year 1906. The shop carries a large stock of tobaccos, cigarettes, pipes, pouches, cigars, toilet requisites, and also Edison records. The hair-dressing saloon contains an up-to-date chair, and there is also a fine billiard saloon on the premises. Mr. Campbell was born in the year 1865, in Picton, where he was educated at the public school. Subsequently he followed the butchering trade, and then malt-making, before taking over his present business.
Mr. D. Campbell.
The City Central Boarding House (T. Burgess, proprietor), Broadway, Mangaweka. This establishment is a two-storeyed wooden building with a verandah, and contains about twenty rooms. There are two sitting rooms, and a dining room with seating accommodation for thirty guests. A good table is kept, and the tariff is moderate. In conjunction with the boarding house Mr. Burgess conducts a fruit, confectionery, and tobacconists' business next door, and maintains a good stock of fresh fruit and confectionery, and a large variety of tobaccos and smokers' requisites.
Mr. Thomas Burgess, proprietor of the City Central Boarding House, was born in the year 1880, at Inglewood, Taranaki, educated at the public school, and was brought up to farming with his father. He subsequently bought property at Kaponga, where he successfully farmed until he sold out to start his present business in Mangaweka. page 635 Mr. Burgess has been a member of the Hawera Mounted Rifles, the Rowan School Committee, the Inglewood Lodge of Foresters, and is a member of the Mangaweka Rifle Club. In July, 1906, he married Miss Ethel Garrett, of Rowan.
The Langholm Hotel, Broadway, Mangaweka. This house was established as a boarding-house in 1898, was afterwards converted into an hotel, and is the only licensed house in the township. The “Langholm” stands on a section of one acre, and is a large two-storeyed wooden building. There is a detached billiard room, sample rooms, and stables in connection with the hotel. The hotel contains thirty rooms, including bedrooms, six sitting rooms, a well-appointed commercial room, and a dining room. It is well furnished throughout, and kept scrupulously clean. A first-class table is maintained, the best brands of liquors are stocked, and guests receive every care and attention.
Mr. George Frederick Bonnor, proprietor of the Langholm Hotel, was born in the year 1870 in Courtenay, Canterbury, where he was educated. After working for some time on the Midland railway he went to Napier, where he was employed for nine years by Messrs. Griffen and Glendinning, builders and contractors. In 1903 he removed to Mangaweka, and took over the Langholm Hotel. Mr. Bonnor takes an interest in local affairs, is an Oddfellow, and a member of the rifle club. He married Miss Griffen, and has one son and one daughter.
The Mangaweka Sash and Door Factory (C. H. Clare, manager and secretary). This factory was established by Messrs. Wright and Carter, who sold out to the present company in 1904. The factory is a two-storeyed wooden building, and carries an up-to-date plant of wood-working machinery. The premises occupy a large section, and include the shop, storeroom, office, and timber yards. The shop is stocked with furniture, cabinetware, etc., of the firm's own manufacture, and a considerable retail trade is done. Sashes, doors, and all kinds of joinery work are turned out from the factory. There is a branch business at Ta hape. The firm employ twelve tradesmen, and their work has a good reputation in the district.
Mr. Charles Herbert Clare, manager and secretary of the Mangaweka Sash and Door Factory, was born at Wootton, England, in the year 1867. He came to New Zealand at ten years of age, for many years was variously employed, and in 1897 became a director in the Mangaweka Sash and Door Company. Mr. Clare is secretary of the local lodge of Oddfellows. He is married, and has one son.