The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Taihape is a rising township on the main trunk railway line, fortyfive miles north from Marton Junction, with a population of 1,500. The first settlement was made in 1893 by a small number of Christchurch citizens, who took up land in what was then a wilderness, and settled themselves within half a mile of the present post office. Railway communication gave facilities to the settlement, and it is now a prosperous and progressive township. The greater part of the surrounding country is hilly, but well suited for pastoral and grazing purposes. In the early “nineties” the whole district was heavily timbered, and, as a large amount of the bush was suitable for milling, sawmills rapidly sprang up, and are still in operation. The immense amount of employment provided in this way was an important factor in the rise of Taihape, and this is now more than replaced by the farming industry. There is a considerable amount of native land in the district. The scenery in the locality is very pretty; the luxuriant native bush, covering a rugged, picturesque outline, gives a beautiful effect. Taihape is a compact town of comparatively small area, formerly within the jurisdiction of the Rangitikei County Council; it is now governed by a Borough Council. The railway passes the township, and there is a good railway station. Hautapu Street is the main thoroughfare, but there are also other streets of importance. The educational interests of the town are well provided for by a large public school (shortly to be converted into a district high school), and a technical school. The town has a fine post office, two banks, a court house, council chambers, several public halls, two large hotels, a public library and reading room, and a local daily newspaper. There are also Anglican, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Wesleyan churches, with resident ministers. Retail trades are well represented in Taihape by modern establishments, and there are also resident lawyers, doctors and dentists.
The Taihape Borough was constituted in the year 1906. The borough boundaries run close round the residential outskirts of the town, so that practically none of the farming area is included. The capital value of the town is £125,523, and a general rate of 1£½d in the pound, and four special rates to provide for loans are levied. The liabilities consist of £5,300, which were contracted by the county council before the forma tion of the borough, and £6,000 subsequently raised for street improvements. The streets are lighted by means of the Kitson Light, six lamps of which have been erected, and these are lit at a cost of sixpence per hour each. There is a limited system of drainage, but this is to be immediately extended, and will then comprise underground sewerage, and house-to-house connection. Members of the council for the year 1907–8: Messrs. A. Nathan (mayor), and S. Beban, W. A. Ellis, G. Bray, A. Foster, F. H. Gibbons, W. J. H. McCormick, and R. W. Smith (councillors). Mr. George Sutherland is town clerk and engineer.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Anthony Nathan, J.P., was born in Wanganui in the year 1843, and is a son of the late Mr. Henry Nathan, who came to New Zealand in 1841, and for many years was closely identified with the public life of Wanganui. After leaving school Mr. Nathan went to the Otago gold diggings, and for four years followed gold-mining at Gabriel's Gully and Dunstan. In 1864 he removed to Wanganui, and served in the Maori war, first in the Forest Rangers, and later in the Cavalry, in both of which he held the rank of sergeant. In 1870 he commenced contracting, which he continuously conducted for over twenty years, and in 1891 settled in the Waimarino district, where he also carried on farming. In 1902 he sold out his various interests and settled in Taihape. Mr. Nathan takes a keen interest in all the affairs of the town, and is connected with several public bodies. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Councillor Stephen Beban was elected a member of the Taihape Borough Council in 1905, and reelected at the succeeding election. He was born in the year 1872 at Goldsborough, Westland, where he was educated at the public school, and then spent five years in the post and telegraph department. He was subsequently employed in clerical work, saw-milling and general storekeeping, and opened his present store in Hautapu Street in 1901. Mr. Beban is treasurer of the Borough Council, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Roman Catholic Church, page 636 and several sports clubs. He is married, and has six children.
Councillor Francis Henry Gibbons is a member of the Taihape Borough Council. He is president of the football and tennis clubs, treasurer of the lodge of Freemasons, is also connected with various other social clubs, and is a keen supporter of everything for the advancement of Taihape. Mr. Gibbons was born in Wanganui in the year 1869, and was educated at the Wanganui College. He was brought up to farming pursuits, and for many years, prior to taking up the Gretna Hotel, conducted a farm of 1,000 acres in the Hunterville district. Mr. Gibbons is married, and has two children.
Councillor William James Hall McCormick, member of the Taihape Borough Council, has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the town, of which he was one of the first four pioneer settlers. He is secretary of the Domain Board, of which he was chairman for two years, and was also for a time chairman of the school committee. Mr. McCormick was born in County Down, Ireland, in the year 1863, and at eleven years of age came to New Zealand, in the ship “Waimate.” For a time he was employed by the firm of Messrs. Lightband, Allen, and Company (now Messrs. Skelton, Frostick and Company, Ltd.), and also in other boot factories in Christchurch. In the year 1894 he removed to Taihape, and started a small store, which he afterwards sold to Messrs. Ellis Brothers. Mr. McCormick then started business on his own account as a bootmaker and importer, and subsequently erected his present fine premises at the north end of Hautapu Street. It is a two-storeyed building and contains a shop and residence. The shop and showroom carry a large stock of boots and shoes. Mr. McCormick is a direct importer, and does a large retail trade. In 1893 he married the youngest daughter of the late Mr. R. Powrie, builder, Christchurch, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. George Sutherland, who has been town clerk and engineer of the Taihape Borough Council since its inception, was born in the year 1871, at Waitati, near Dunedin, where he was educated. He spent ten years in the Government Survey Department, was engaged in survey work in the Taihape district as early as 1892, and later was in charge of the local survey work for the Crown settlements. Mr. Sutherland afterwards spent five years as an inspector in the Roads Department, which position he resigned in order to practise privately as an engineer and surveyor. Subsequently he accepted his present appointment. Mr. Sutherland is married.
The Taihape Public School was first conducted in 1895 in the old town hall. A new school was erected, and, with the increase of population, it has been enlarged four times. The building contains four class-rooms, and a technical school, while the playground is five acres in extent. The Taihape school will shortly be converted into a district high school. There are 304 children on the roll, and the average attendance is 270.
Mr. James Fisher Thurston, Head-master of the Taihape School, was born in Wanganui in the year 1873. He was educated at Waverley and Wanganui, served his time as a pupil-teacher, and gained his E certificate and his D certificate in 1895. Mr. Thurston received his first appointment at the Mere Mere School, near Hawera, afterwards successively conducted the Fitzherbert East school, the Pihama school, and in 1902 was appointed head-master of the Taihape school. He takes a keen interest in sport, and is a member of most of the local clubs. Mr. Thurston is married, and has two children.
Mr. Alfred William Thompson, First Assistant Master of the Taihape Public School, was born in the year 1885, at Sandon, near Bulls. He served his time as a pupil-teacher in the Sandon, Apiti, Kelvin Grove, and Aramoho schools. After relieving for one month at Foxton, he was appointed master of the Clydesdale school, where, in 1905, he completed his D certificate, and was soon afterwards promoted to his present position. Mr. Thompson is secretary of the Awarua Rugby Union, and a member of nearly all the local sports clubs.
The Mataroa Public School, situated about six miles north by rail from Taihape, is a wooden building with accommodation for sixty-five pupils. The school grounds comprise three acres, two-thirds of which are plantation. The number of pupils on the roll is seventy, and the average attendance is sixty. The staff consists of the head-master and one assistant.
Mr. Reuben Charles Derham Lightbourne, Head-master of the Mataroa School, was born at Foxton, in the year 1882. He was educated at the Hawera public school and the District High School, afterwards served as a pupil teacher in the Hawera and Eltham public schools, and then went as junior assistant to Foxton, where he gained his E certificate in 1903. He was then appointed master of the Kakairiki school, and received his present appointment in 1904. Mr. Lightbourne has been specially commended on the proficiency of his pupils. He is a well-known football referee, is treasurer of the local lodge of Oddfellows, and a Freemason.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Taihape, occupies a site of three-quarters of an acre in Huia Street, and was built in the year 1903, prior to which services were conducted in a public hall. The church is built of wood, and has accommodation for a congregation of 400. The presbytery, also a wooden building, is comfortably furnished, and contains eight rooms. The parish of Taihape is a very extensive one, and much praise is due to Father Lacroix for his arduous and self-sacrificing efforts. There are 700 adherents in the district, which extends for many miles north and south of Taihape. Small churches have been erected in outlying parts, and missionary work is also conducted amongst the Maoris. Services are conducted at St. Mary's every Sunday, and Father Lacroix is assisted by a resident priest.
The Rev. Father Celestin Lacroix was born in Brittany, France, in the year 1868. He was educated at Montleucon, and afterwards studied theology for five years at Montbel. He then came to New Zealand, assisted Dean McKenna for twelve months at New Plymouth, and was afterwards sent to Karioi as a missionary amongst the Maoris. He was subsequently stationed at Mangaweka, before receiving his present appointment. Father Lacroix takes an active part in social and public life, is president of the Hibernian Society, vice-president and referee of the Hockey Club, and secretary of the Taihape Brass Band.
The Taihape Brass Band was founded in the “nineties.” It has had as its successive conductors Mr. Arthur Williams and Mr. Fred Sparks, the latter of whom was succeeded by Mr. A. W. Terrill, the present bandmaster. The band room is situated on the recreation grounds in Tui Street, and there is a platform near the post office which is used as a band stand. There is a membership of eighteen, and the instruments include two basses, one euphonium, two baritones, four tenors, one trombone, five cornets, one clarionet, and two drums. Practices are held twice weekly, and during the summer the band gives two open-air concerts each month.
Mr. Arthur Wellington Terrill, band-master of the Taihape Brass Band, was born in Victoria, and is a son of Mr. J. R. W. Terrill, page 637 of Christchurch, who founded the first Railway Band, and also the City Reed Band. He was educated at the public schools, was brought up to the hair-dressing trade, and soon after completing his apprenticeship went to Wellington, where he worked for Messrs. Wise and Speed as a journeyman. He then accepted a position in the orchestra on board the s.s. “Oroya,” trading between England and Australia. In 1892 he returned to New Zealand, and followed his trade successively at Napier, Hawera (where he was elected deputy-master of the local band), Karangahake, Paeroa, Christchurch (where he became deputy-master of the Woolston band, under Mr. E. Derry), Auckland, Waihi, Inglewood, Rotorua, Palmerston North, and Nelson, and in 1906 bought his present business in Taihape. The establishment includes a shop, a hair-dressing saloon with two chairs, and a billiard saloon with two large tables. In the year 1894 Mr. Terrill married Miss Bray.
Barnett, Ernest Cuthbert, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. (England), Hautapu Street, Taihape. Dr. Barnett was born in the year 1880 at Leeston, Canterbury. He was educated at the Leeston public school, and the Boys' High School, Christchurch, and went through the medical course at the Otago University. He then went to England, studied at the London hospitals, and graduated in 1906. On his return to New Zealand he established his present practice. Dr. Barnett married Miss Overton, a daughter of Mr. Fred Overton, of Lakeside, Canterbury.
Cunninghame, John Rainsford, Chemist and Druggist, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1901 by Mr. Foster, and acquired by Mr. Cunninghame in 1907. The shop is well fitted up and the goods neatly arranged. A complete stock of proprietary medicines, drugs, toilet requisites, etc., is maintained. Mr. Cunninghame was born in Wellington in the year 1882, and was educated at the State school and the Palmerston North Collegiate School. He studied his profession under Mr. Whiteford, of Palmerston North, and Mr. Brittain, of Wellington, and passed his examination as a chemist and druggist in April, 1906. Mr. Cunninghame then took charge of Mr. Wilkinson's business in Dunedin, which position he subsequently resigned to start his present business. He has recently taken up optical work in connection with his business, and has had considerable experience in this connection. On November 13th, 1907, Mr. Cunninghame married, in Wellington, Miss Feltham. Mrs. Cunninghame is also a qualified chemist.
Mr. J. R. Cunninghame.
The Rangitikei Saw-Millers' Co-Operative Association, Limited, whose head-quarters are situated in Kuku Street, Taihape, was established in the year 1903. The object of the association is to encourage more uniformity and security in the saw-milling and timber trade, and, by providing one central office for the control of the whole output, to diminish both the cost and the risk connected with the sale and distribution of the timber. Under the able and energetic management of Mr. Carpenter, the association has proved an immense success, the output has increased from 8,000,000 feet to 30,000,000 feet, and is rapidly growing. The association controls the whole of the milling in the Waimarino district, and on the main trunk line as far as Marton. Its membership now numbers twenty-five. The association holds an agency for the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited.
Mr. Max Morrow Carpenter, who was appointed manager of the Rangitikei Saw-millers' Association in March, 1903, was born in Wellington, in the year 1868, was educated at the public schools and Wellington College, and then served three years with Messrs. Luke and Sons, of Wellington. He then followed farming pursuits until the early “nineties,” since when he has been continuously engaged in connection with the saw-milling industry in the Rangitikei district. He paid special attention to the clerical and managing departments, and before receiving his present appointment was in charge of a saw-mill yard. Mr. Carpenter is secretary of the sawmillers' conference.
The Taihape Chamber Of Commerce was established in the year 1907, and is supported by a large number of business and public men. Mr. H. D. Bennett is president, there is a general committee of seven, and meetings are held every month. Some years prior to the formation of the borough a meeting of leading citizens was held to discuss the advisability of having a Borough Council or a Town Board, as it was felt that either body would be of far greater service to the town than the County Council. It was decided at this meeting that the time was not ripe for the formation of a borough, but as a compromise a vigilance committee was organised. This body proved very useful in connection with all matters affecting the well-being of Taihape and the surrounding districts. The formation of the borough, however, in June, 1906, did away with the necessity of the vigilance committee, and the Chamber of Commerce was formed to take its place.
Mr. Henry Dargaville Bennett, President of the Taihape Chamber of Commerce, takes a keen interest in the welfare and advancement of the town and district. He is a Justice of the Peace, a supporter of the No License League, and takes an interest in the settlement of Native lands. Mr. Bennett was born in the page 638 year 1876 in the Bay of Plenty, and was educated at the public schools and at Te Aute College. He then farmed for some time in the Mangaweka district, and afterwards farmed on his own account at Moawhango, Hawke's Bay, for seven years. He subsequently turned his attention to commercial life, and established his present provision stores in Taihape, which at the present time form the largest business block in the town. Mr. Bennett has always taken a keen interest in athletics, and is a member of all the local clubs.
Aldridge, John P., J.P., Land, Estate, Insurance, and General Commission Agent, Tui Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1898 by Mr. Aldridge, when he bought Mr. John Johnson's wine and spirit business, which he conducted for some time in conjunction with a stationery and bookselling agency. In the year 1905 he sold the stationery business, and has since devoted his attention entirely to commission work. The offices are situated in a fine two-storeyed building at the corner of Hautapu and Tui Streets. Mr. Aldridge is agent for the Sun Fire Office, the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, the public trustee, and is also the local registrar of births, deaths, and marriages. He was born in Southampton, England, in December, 1853, and emigrated to New Zealand, with his parents, in 1857. Mr. Aldridge was educated at Wanganui, and afterwards spent four years in the iron trade, under Mr. John Duthie, of Wellington. He then went to Australia, where he spent some years in general stores. On his return to New Zealand he was employed for five years with Messrs. W. D. Shaw and Company, of Wanganui, and afterwards worked in Mr. F. J. Jones' store. Subsequently for a number of years he was successively engaged in storekeeping, butchering, saw-milling, and as a mill manager, before establishing his present business. Mr. Aldridge was one of the promoters of the old Vigilance Committee and the present Chamber of Commerce, is a trustee of the local cemetery, district coroner, and the senior justice of the peace on the main trunk railway line. He is married, and has two sons and five daughters.
Mr. J. P. Aldridge.
Longdill and Company (C. P. W. Longdill, late Longdill and Redin), Land, Estate, Insurance, and General Commission Agents, Booksellers, and Stationers, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1906. The land agency has a large connection, the firm have local representatives in all the principal centres of the North Island, and they publish a land guide. The firm make a specialty of farm properties—grazing, dairying, and agricultural—and have a lengthy and varied list on their books, as well as residential and business properties. The bookselling and stationery business occupies a good position in the town, and carries a well-assorted stock of books, stationery, and fancy goods.
Mr. Charles Pynson Wilmot Longdill was born in the year 1866 in Parnell, Auckland. His father, Mr. Pynson Wilmott Longdill, was a gentleman of wide learning, who migrated from England to Auckland with a wife and young family at a very early age of New Zealand's history. At school Mr. C. P. W. Longdill won a prize given for the cleverest boy in the school in all round knowledge, after those who had entered for the scholarship had been drafted out. He entered the office of Mr. W. R Walker, kauri gum and general commission agent, subsequently followed sheep and cattle farming on two large stations in the Wairarapa for over five years, and acquired a practical knowledge of stock and station work. He then took up a property in Poverty Bay, but afterwards sold out. Mr. Longdill has a taste for literary work, and many letters and articles from his pen have appeared from time to time in various papers in the North Island, while several articles have also been published in American and Australian papers. He devoted over a year to writing a book upon economics, and sent the manuscript to a firm of publishers in America, but it went astray in transmittance through the post, and, unfortunately, Mr. Longdill omitted to keep a copy. Subsequently he removed to Gisborne, where he established himself as a land, indent, insurance, and general commission agent, and afterwards went to Napier and started the “Nation Builder,” a small monthly paper devoted to the free discussion of all matters affecting the welfare of the human race. This journal had a chequered career, and owing to lack of funds its publication had to be suspended. A year later Mr. Longdill established his present business in partnership with Mr. T. E. Redin, whose interest he subsequently bought out; but the latter gentleman still continues to manage the bookselling department.
Mr. C. P. W. Longdill.
Vickers, A. T., and Company (A. T. Vickers), Auctioneers, Valuators, Land, Estate, Insurance, and General Commission Agents, Grain and Produce Merchants, and House Furnishers, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This firm was established in the year 1905 by Mr. Vickers. The premises consist of two large buildings, namely, the auction room and grain store in Tui Street, and the general office and furniture showroom in Hautapu Street. Regular weekly auction sales are held, and private sales as required. The firm are cash buyers of wool, skins, hides, and tallow.
Mr. Allen Thomas Vickers was born in the year 1878, in Hastings, Hawke's Bay, where he was educated, and brought up to the storekeeping trade under Messrs. Beck and Company. page 639 He spent a short time in a store at Moawhango, and then became manager of the Riverside wool works, near Clive, Hawke's Bay. He subsequently resigned the position, established an auctioneer's business in Wairoa, and after successfully conducting it for two years sold out and removed to Taihape. Mr. Vickers is a member of the Hibernian Society, the Hockey Club, and the Tennis Club.
Wilson. Thomas Elliott J.P., Auctioneer, General Commission Agent, and House Furnisher, Tui Street, Taihape. Mr. Wilson, who is well known as a journalist, established his present business in the year 1907, when he sold his interest in the “Taihape Post” to a local syndicate, and retired from journalism. The premises consist of a commodious two-storeyed wood and iron building, measuring thirty-three feet by 100 feet, and contain the showroom (which carries a fine display of furniture, household furnishings, and pianos), the office, and auction mart. The first floor is used as a storeroom and mart. Mr. Wilson was born in London in the year 1853, and is a son of Mr. Robert Wilson, of the Otago Foundry, Dunedin. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1863, landed in Dunedin, and attended Gardner's private school. in Stuart Street. He was then employed in the Otago Foundry, and for a time assisted his father. Upon his parents removing to Oamaru, in 1868, he joined the staff of the “North Otago Times,” and served an apprenticeship to the printing trade. In 1876 Mr. Wilson removed to Kaiapoi, where he established a paper known as the “North Canterbury News.” Up to 1897 he was continuously connected with newspapers, among which may be mentioned: the “Bruce Standard,” the “Waikato Gazette,” the “Waimate Times,” the “Nenthorn Recorder,” the “Bruce Herald,” the “Egmont Settler,” the Helensville Times,” the “Kaitangata Times,” the “Waitara Times,” the “Mangaweka Settler,” the “Kawhia Settler,” the “Geraldine Times,” and the “Taihape Post.” He is a director of the “Taihape Post.” In 1893 Mr. Wilson married the third daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Gibbs, of Oamaru (well-known in the political history of the Dominion), and has one daughter.
Doherty, Hugh James Architect, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This practice was established in the year 1905. Mr. Doherty was born in the year 1878, at Jackson's Bay, on the West Coast of the South Island, where his father was a pioneer settler. He was educated at the local public school, the Catholic School, Reefton, and at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. He was articled to Mr. Esinhardt, of Greymouth, for four years, and then went to Hokitika, where he remained for some years. Subsequently he removed to Taihape, established his present practice, and has been appointed to supervise the local government work.
Williams, William, Baker and Confectioner, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1897, and was acquired by Mr. Williams in 1900. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a shop and a refreshment room. The premises include also a commodious bakehouse. The oven, which is of modern type, will conveniently hold 160 loaves, and the business is steadily increasing. Mr. Williams was born in the year 1870, in Nelson, where he was educated, and afterwards was employed in Messrs. Griffin and Son's biscuit factory. In the early “nineties” he was apprenticed to the bakery trade under Mr. Glasford, of Napier, and four years afterwards took over the management of a bakery at Hunterville. In the year 1900 he removed to Taihape, and opened his present business.
Champion and Blaramberg (J. A. Champion and C. Von Blaramberg), Coachbuilders and General Smiths, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This prosperous business was originally established in the year 1901, by Mr. F. Sigley, who conducted it for two years and then sold out to Mr. Champion, who, three years later, entered into partnership with Mr. Blaramberg. The premises consist of a commodious wooden building, and contain the smithy (which carries two furnaces), a large coachbuilding department, and the paint shop. The building is furnished with all the most up-to-date appliances for the trade, and four tradesmen are constantly employed.
Mr. John Arthur Champion was born in the year 1876 in Westport, and was educated at the public schools. He was apprenticed to the blacksmithing trade in Carterton, where he was employed for seven years by Mr. W. H. Franks. He then returned to Westport, and worked for two years for the Westport Harbour Board, for a similar period for the Westport Coal Company, and then bought a business on his own account. After conducting this for a few months he sold out and removed to Taihape. Mr. Champion is a member of the local lodge of Oddfellows and a member of the committee of the Athletic Club.
Mr. Claude Von Blaramberg was born at Matarawa, Wanganui, in the year 1883, and is the third son of a Palmerston North schoolmaster. He was educated by his father, and learned the trade of a carriage builder under Mr. Adam Burgess, with whom he remained for eight years. He then conducted a business at Utiku for eighteen months, in partnership with Mr. H. Pearce. The firm afterwards removed to Palmerston North, where they entered into business in the premises formerly occupied by Mr. Felix Stratford. Fifteen months later Mr. Blaramberg purchased his partner's share, but subsequently sold out and started his present business in Taihape, where he was joined in parnership by Mr. Champion. Mr. Blaramberg takes a keen interest in military affairs, was for six years a member of the Palmerston North Guards, and for some time sergeantmajor of the public school cadets.
Somerville, Frederick William, Furniture Warehouseman and Manufacturer, and Undertaker, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established early in 1904. The premises consist of an office, a large shop, and showroom, with the workshops and timber sheds at the rear. Besides the manufacture of furniture, upholstering, polishing, and picture-framing are conducted in the workshop, and all articles are of first-class workmanship. The showroom contains a fine collection of furniture, manufactured on the premises, and also a full stock of crockery, ironmongery, bedsteads, etc. Mr. Somerville page 640 was born in Hastings, Hawke's Bay, in the year 1880, was educated at the public schools in Napier, and afterwards served his apprenticeship with Mr. Newman. After completing his indentures, he worked as a journeyman for some years before establishing his present business in Taihape. Mr. Somerville is a member of the Athletic Association.
Mr. F. W. Somerville.
The Taihape Furnishing Factory (H. Townsend, manager), Kuku Street, Taihape. This business is a branch of the Mangaweka Sash and Door Factory, and was established in the year 1907. The premises consist of a large wooden building, and contain the office, showroom, manufacturing, polishing, upholstering, and machinery rooms. There is a complete modern plant of machinery, driven by a seven-horse power oil engine. There is a large and well-arranged stock of furniture of all kinds in the showroom.
Mr. Henry Townsend, the manager, was born in the year 1875, in Wanganui, where he was educated. He was brought up to the furniture trade, under the late Mr. Donald Ross, with whom he spent six years. He then removed to Wellington, where he was employed for four years by Messrs. Scoullar and Chisholm, and also for other firms there. Mr. Townsend was then appointed manager of the Sash and Door Factory at Mansaweka, and after some time was sent to Taihape to open and conduct the firm's branch. He is married, and has two daughters.
Robinson, Ellis, Hair-dresser, Tobacconist, and Billiard Saloon proprietor, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1904 by Mr. G. Phillips, and acquired by Mr. Robinson in the year 1907. The shop carries a large stock of tobacconist's wares and also Edison phonographs and records. The saloon is well fitted up, and has three modern chairs, and the billiard saloon contains two of Alcock's best tables. Mr. Robinson was born in London in the year 1870, and came to New Zealand at an early age. After leaving school he served his time in the pipe-making and silver-smithing branches of his present trade, with Mr. Arthur Partridge, of Auckland, and Mr. Joseph Rice, of Sydney. He is a member of the Poultry Association, and is also connected with various sports clubs.
The Central Confectionery and Refreshment Room (G. F. Shanley, proprietor), Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1905. The shop carries a large stock of sweetmeats, confectionery, etc., and has one large show window in which the goods are displayed to the best advantage. At the rear of the shop are the refreshment rooms (with seating accommodation for forty persons), and they are neat and well-appointed. The proprietor makes some of his own confectionery, and the business is gradually increasing in response to the good articles supplied to the public.
Mr. George Francis Shanley, proprietor of the Central Confectionery and Refreshment Rooms, was born in England, and came to New Zealand in the year 1891. He spent some years in Australia, and then removed to Taihape, and started his present business.
Ern's Hotel (E. A. Wakeman, proprietor), Hautapu Street, Taihape. This hotel, situated near the railway station, is a two-storeyed wooden building with a verandah and balcony, and contains thirty-five rooms. There are two public entrances from the main street, and on the ground floor there are four sitting rooms, a well-appointed commercial room, the dining room, and a large bar. The first floor contains the bedrooms, a sitting room, bathrooms, and lavatory. The house is well furnished throughout, the tariff is moderate, the table and accommodation good, and the liquors are of the best brands. Mr. and Mrs. Wakeman make the comfort and convenience of guests and travellers their first consideration. The proprietor owns a farm, comprising 100 acres, situated about three miles from the township, which supplies a large portion of the provisions for the hotel.
Mr. Ernest Alfred Wakeman, proprietor of Ern's Hotel, is well-known in athletic circles, and has put up some excellent records. He still takes a keen interest in athletic sports, is president and vice-president of various clubs, and a member of other local public bodies. Mr. Wakeman was born in the year 1873, at Shenley, Hertfordshire, England, where he was educated, and afterwards page 641 spent five years at accountancy work in London. In 1891 he came to New Zealand, and, after a short time spent in farming at Pahiatua, he followed various pursuits until accepting the position of a commercial traveller for Messrs. A. Hatrick and Company, of Wanganui. He soon afterwards started on his own account as an hotel broker and commission agent in Wanganui. In 1904 he entered the hotel business as licensee of the Kakaramea Hotel, near Patea, and, after conducting this for four months, sold out and took over the Railway Hotel at Turakina. In 1906 he removed to Taihape, and took over his present hotel. Mr. Wakeman is married, and has two daughters.
The Gretna Hotel, (F. H. Gibbons, proprietor), Taihape, is situated at the north end of Hautapu Street, and is one of the finest houses on the Main Trunk line. It is a two storeyed wooden building, with a balcony and verandah round two sides, and contains fifty rooms. There are five comfortable sitting rooms, a commercial room, a large dining room (with accommodation for fifty guests) and on the first floor are the bedrooms, two sitting rooms, bathroom, and lavatory. The “Gretna” is conducted on first-class lines, and the comfort of guests and travellers is carefully looked after by the proprietor. A good table is kept, and only the best brands of liquors are stocked. The Royal Mail Stables, situated on the opposite side of the road, also belong to the proprietor of the hotel. They offer good accommodation for horses, and a number of vehicles are kept for hire.
Mr. F. H. Gibbons, proprietor of the Gretna Hotel, is elsewhere referred to as a member of the borough council.
The Temperance Hotel (J. Capill, proprietor), Main Street, Taihape. This hotel has the reputation of being one of the best houses on the Main Trunk Line. It is a large two storeyed wooden building, with a balcony, and contains thirty rooms. It is comfortably furnished, and a good table is kept. The house is lighted with acetylene gas, and there is hot and cold water laid on.
Mr. John Capill, proprietor of the Temperance Hotel, was born in Kaiapoi, Canterbury, in the year 1865, and after leaving school was employed for fifteen years in the Kaiapoi Mills, and for eight years in the fellmongery business. He subsequently followed fanning pursuits at Pahiatua, Wellington, until he acquired the Temperance Hotel. Mr. Capill takes a keen interest in temperance work, and has been a member of the Sons of Temperance since 1884. He is married, and has two sons.
Neagle, David, Saddler, Harness, Cover and Collar Manufacturer and Importer, Hautapu Street, Taihape. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. P.O. Box, 37. Telephone, No. 3. This business was established in the year 1903 by Mr. Neagle. In 1904 the present premises were erected; they occupy a central site near the Bank of Australasia, opposite the Post Office, and consist of a two-storeyed building. The shop is lighted by two large plate-glass windows, and there is a fine display of harness and saddlery. Mr. Neagle has established a good reputation for the manufacture of horse-covers, collars, and harness. He is a direct importer of the best English saddlery, and keeps his stock thoroughly up-to-date by regular shipments. Mr. Neagle was born in Taradale, Hawke's Bay, in the year 1879, was educated at Taradale and at Napier, and was apprenticed to the saddlery trade under Mr. James Mills, of Napier. He was then employed by his brother in Dannevirke, where he remained for eight years, and subsequently removed to Taihape and established his present business. Mr. Neagle is a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. D. Neagle.
Dashwood, Harry, Bookseller and Stationer, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was opened by Mr. Pratt in the year 1906, and was taken over by the present proprietor in August of the same year. The shop carries a good stock of general stationery, books, newspapers, journals, sporting requisites, etc, and a specialty is made of leather balls, bags, and hockey sticks. Mr. Dashwood was born in Adelaide, Australia, in the year 1877, was educated at the Adelaide and Melbourne colleges, and for some years after leaving page 642 school was employed at clerical work in Melbourne. He then turned his attention to his present trade, which he followed for some time in Melbourne, and then removed to New Zealand. For two or three years he travelled about the Dominion, before acquiring his present business at Taihape. Mr. Dashwood takes a keen interest in outdoor sports, and is a member of most of the local clubs. He is married, and Mrs. Dashwood takes part in the management of the business.
Mr. H. Dashwood.
Hedges, Alfred Ernest, Bookseller and Stationer, corner of Hautapu Street and Tui Street, Taihape. This business was established in the year 1898 by Messrs. J. P. Aldridge and Son, and was acquired by Mr. Hedges in June, 1906. The premises consist of a two-storeyed building, containing the shop and office. The shop is a commodious apartment, measuring forty feet by thirty feet, and carries a large stock of stationery, books, fancy goods, tobacconist's sundries, Bporting requisites, fishing tackle, etc. Mr. Hedges holds the agency for the leading magazines, journals, and newspapers; he is also local agent for the Dresden Piano Company, and keeps a complete stock of musical literature. He was born at Sandon, in the Manawatu district, in the year 1874, and was educated at the Main School in Timaru. He afterwards went to Feilding, where he was engaged in farming pursuits for some years, in conjunction with his brother. On the outbreak of the Boer war, he left with the First Contingent for service in South Africa, was present at many of the chief engagements of the campaign, and received a medal and four bars. He returned to New Zealand in 1901, when he joined the staff of the Public Works Department on the construction of the Main Trunk railway line, and resigned to take up his present business.
Mr. A. E. Hedges' Buildings.
Bennett, H. D., and Company, Universal Providers, Hautapu Street and Tui Street, Taihape. Branch at Ohakune. This business was established in the year 1903, at the north end of the town, and was soon afterwards removed to the present site. The premises comprise one of the largest blocks of buildings in the district, and have a long frontage to both streets. They consist of a two-storeyed wooden building, divided into three distinct parts, namely, the general store, the soft goods department, and the bakery. There are three separate entrances, the first two on Hautapu Street, and the other oneon Tui Street. The first floor contains the dressmaking department, and at the rear is a convenient suite of offices and bulk storage accommodation. The general store carries a stock of groceries, ironmongery, crockery, boots and shoes, produce, brushware, fencing, and building materials; the soft goods department—clothing, mercery, millinery, hats, dress goods, and haberdashery; and the bakery department, in addition to the making of bread and confectionery, is furnished with up-to-date tea rooms. There are also sample rooms on the premises. The firm import direct in almost all lines, and have a large turnover. They employ twenty persons, and there are carts and a five-horse brake for the town and country deliveries.
Ellis Brothers (W. A. Ellis, manager), General Storekeepers, Taihape. The Taihape branch of this business was established in 1895, when the firm purchased a small business conducted by Messrs. Jackson and McCormick. Three years later, owing to the increase of business, the old shop was replaced by the present building, which has a frontage to the main street. The premises consist of a large retail shop, offices, millinery department, furniture room, bulk storerooms, and grain sheds. The firm are direct importers, and a heavy stock of groceries, drapery, ironmongery, crockery, produce, heavy iron goods, fencing materials, and grain is carried. Twelve persons are employed in the business. Messrs. Ellis Brothers have created a feeling of confidence and respect that will ensure the continued success of the business.
Mr. William Agate Ellis, manager of the Taihape branch of Messrs. Ellis Brothers, was born near Southampton, England, was educated at Eagle House College, Tottenham, and was then apprenticed to the ironmongery trade in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, where he spent four years. He followed his trade for three years in Swansea, South Wales, and in 1882 came to New Zealand, where he joined his brothers, who page 643 were then farming in the Waikato. Three months after landing, however, he was employed to take charge of the wholesale department in the well-known firm of Messrs. T. and S. Morrin, of Auckland, and afterwards spent two years on the Coromandel goldfields. In 1888 he joined his brothers in storekeeping at Moawhango. Hawke's Bay, and has since remained with the firm of Messrs. Ellis Brothers. In conjunction with his business Mr. Ellis conducts a property of 600 acres known as York Farm, near Marton, where, in addition to mixed farming, he carries a fine stud flock of Romney-Marsh sheep. He is a member of the Domain Board, the Rangitikei Licensing Committee, and other local bodies.
McLennan Brothers, General Storekeepers, Hautapu Street, Taihape. This business was opened in the year 1905. The premises consist of a large shop, an office, and a storeroom. A large and well-assorted stock of general groceries, ironmongery, etc., is maintained; three persons are employed by the firm, and a good business is done throughout the town and district.
Mr. William McLennan, senior partner of Messrs. McLennan Brothers, was born in Wellington in the year 1877, and after leaving school gained experience in the storekeeping trade. Subsequently he conducted a store for some time at Rangiwahia, and in 1897 he removed to Taihape to start a business there. Two years later he sold this business and went to South Africa with the Third Contingent. On his return he started his present business, in which he was subsequently joined by his brother. Mr. McLennan has been a member of the Borough Council, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Sports Club. He is married, and has two sons.