The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Opera House Stables (F. McDonald, proprietor), St. Hill Street, next Opera House, Wanganui. These stables were established by Messrs. Atkinson Brothers in 1897, and were taken over by the present proprietor in 1907. The building is of wood and iron, and contains forty stalls and eight loose boxes, has accommodation for 100 horses, and considerable floor space for vehicles. There is a large plant of single gigs, waggonettes, double buggies, and brakes. The office, ladies' waiting room, groom's room, harness rooms, and storage rooms for fodder are situated in front of the building; the yards behind the stables are covered and well-drained.
Mr Frederick McDonald was born in Hokitika, where he was educated and brought up to farming pursuits. He came to Wanganui in the year 1896, and after sheep-farming for ten years he sold out, and entered his present business.
Rutland Stables (J. Wendelburn, and C. Wendelburn, proprietors), St. Hill Street, Wanganui. These old established stables have been conducted by the present proprietors since the year 1904. The building is of brick and iron, covers a quarter of an acre of land, and contains thirty-six stalls, fifteen loose boxes, a large storage room for fodder, and plenty of standing room for traps. There are also two men's rooms, a ladies' waiting room, harness room, and an office. The livery plant consists of fourteen vehicles, including ambulance, drags, cabs, gigs, and single and double buggies, twenty horses being regularly required. Five persons are constantly employed.
Mr John Wendelburn, of the firm of Wendelburn Brothers, was born in Nelson, where he was educated, and brought up to the management and care of horses. He afterwards removed to Feilding, where he was engaged for ten years in the carrying business, and subsequently for two years in the livery stable business, before removing to Wanganui.
Whyte and Company (D. K. Whyte), General Carriers, Ship and Forwarding Agents, Taupo Quay, Wanganui. This well-known business was established many years ago by Messrs. Olliver and Company, and acquired by Messrs. D. K. Whyte and Company in the year 1906. The premises consist of an office and a large storeroom. The firm does a large business in the transportation of heavy goods, and the removal of furniture, and arrangements are made to meet all steamers and trains. Four drays and vans are employed in the business.
Mr David King Whyte, the senior partner of Messrs. Whyte and Company, was born in the year 1867, in Dunedin, where he was educated. He gained his early business experience as a clerk in the employment of Messrs. Reid and Gray. In 1886 he entered the coal business, but, two years later, sold out his interest to join the service of the New Zealand Express Company. Twelve months later he resigned and was afterwards successively employed by the Taieri County Council and the Castle Hill Coal Company. He subsequently rejoined the New Zealand Express Company, acted for several years as store and forwarding clerk in Dunedin, and was then sent to Wanganui as manager of the branch there. This position he held until 1906, when he started in business on his own account. Mr Whyte is married, and has three children.