The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Potters, Tile and Brick Works
Potters, Tile and Brick Works.
The Aramoho Brick Works, Aramoho, Wanganui. This business was established in the year 1891, by Messrs. Pinche and Skipworth, and was acquired by Messrs. Kendrick Brothers in 1893. The firm hold rights over about twenty acres, consisting of first-class brick-making clay. The works are thoroughly up-to-date, both in construction and machinery, and the bricks manufactured compare favourably with any in the country. The machinery is driven by an eight and a half-horse power horizontal engine, and the output is about 700,000 bricks per annum.
Mr. Alfred Kendrick, senior partner of the firm of Messrs. Kendrick Brothers, was born in the year 1867, near Marton, where he was educated, and learned the brick-making trade in his father's brickworks at Marton. Some years later Mr Kendrick and his brother bought these works, which they conducted for a time before taking over the Aramoho Works. Mr Kendrick takes a keen interest in music, and was for a time in the Garrison Band. He is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. A. Kendrick.
Mr David Kendrick, of Messrs. Kendrick Brothers, was born near Marton in the year 1869, and after leaving school entered his father's brick works. In 1886 he joined his brother in partnership to take over the works formerly conducted by his father, and subsequently removed to Aramoho. Mr Kendrick for a number of years was a member of the Garrison Band, and was also a member of the school committee. He is married, and has one son and three daughters.
Mr. D. Kendrick.
The Sedgebrook Brick and Tile Works, which stand on the old Sedgebrook estate, about half a mile from the Wanganui traffic bridge, were established in the year 1900 by Messra. Emeny and Lampitt. The premises cover an area of about two acres, and consist of two large downdraught kilns, with a combined capacity of 58,000 bricks, extensive drying sheds (capable of holding 320,000 bricks), the engine and machinery shed, an up-to-date tile-making house, measuring 100 ft. by 30 ft., and the drying sheds. The tile-making house also contains a first-class pipe-making plant, by Crabtree and Sons, of Wellington. The remainder of the plant consists of a ten-horse power engine, a fourteen-horse power tubular boiler (both by David Murray, of Wanganui), and a plastic wire cut machine, carrying thirty-two knives as well as a propeller. The average output is about 800,000 bricks per annum, but the machinery is capable of turning out 2,000,000 per annum. The firm hold rights over twenty acres of the finest brick-making material.
Mr Alfred James Emeny, senior partner of the firm of Messrs. Emeny and Lampitt, was born in London in the year 1870. He came to New Zealand at an early age, and has since devoted his whole time to the brick-making trade. He spent some years at his trade in Wellington, and was afterwards employed at Masterton and Eketahuna. He subsequently returned to Wellington, but soon afterwards went up the Manawatu line to make the bricks for the Porirua Mental Hospital. In 1892 he took charge of Mr William Aitken's brick works at Okoia (six miles out of Wanganui), which he afterwards managed for Messrs. Russell and Bignell, and then entered into partnership with Mr Lampitt, and bought the works. Six years later they closed this yard, and opened their present works. Mr Emeny is a member of the Cosmopolitan Club, the Order of Druids, and the Agricultural Association. He is married, and has two daughters.
Mr Frederick Lampitt, of Messrs. Emeny and Lampitt, was born in London, England, in the year 1849, his father being then in the service of the East India Company. He was educated at the Hackney Grammar School, and at fourteen years of age was apprenticed to the Bombay Shipping Company. For many years he followed a sea-faring life, chiefly in large merchantmen, trading to all parts of the world. In 1875 he left the sea at Wellington, New Zealand, and became storeman in a large warehouse. Five years later he resigned this position, and turned his attention to brick-making, later on joining his step-son in the ownership and management of the Okoia Brick Works. The firm subsequently sold out, and acquired the present Sedgebrook Brickworks. Mr Lampitt is a member of the Cosmopolitan Club, St. Mary's Club, the Irish Rifles, and the local Order of Druids. He is married, and has three children.