The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Woodville is situated ninety-five miles from Napier, and 105 miles from Wellington, on the main line of railway, and is three miles distant from the Manawatu Gorge. It was formerly a part of the Seventy-mile Bush, but is now a prosperous dairying settlement, with thriving industries established. Woodville is also an important central railway junction, as it connects the East and West Coast railroads. The country south of Woodville is flat for some miles, but on all other sides the hills rise close to the town. The country, however, is of excellent quality, sheep and cattle farming, and dairying are carried on extensively, and a little cropping is also done. The town has a fine climate, a splendid water supply, and there is magnificent scenery in the district. Woodville has a number of industries that must help to assure its prosperity. It has freezing works, a bacon factory, a fellmongery, a dairy factory and creamery, a brewery, and there are also Government creasoting works. The town is well laid out, and its buildings include churches, public schools, Government offices, the railway station, the Borough Council Chambers, a Magistrate's Court, hotels, a branch bank, a newspaper office (with a tri-weekly issue), and numerous shops and stores. There is also a public swimming bath, and there are seventy acres of reserves, including a recreation ground, and a square with a band rotunda. The best trout fishing in the North Island is obtained at Woodville, and the roads in the district are good for cycling.
Woodville was constituted a borough in the year 1887, and has a population of 1,100. A general rate of 3£⅝d in the £ is levied on the unimproved value. The rateable value of property is £97,273, and the annual revenue is £1,911. The town has a high-pressure water supply of 110 lbs. to the square inch, and a reservoir and eight miles of mains. Complete drainage and sewerage systems, by gravitation and septic tank respectively, are shortly (1907) to be inaugurated, at a cost of £10,000; and municipal gas works, costing £7,000 are now nearing completion. There is a good fire brigade, equipped with a Shand-Mason manual engine, 1,200 feet of hose, and four hydrants. In January, 1904, the Council took over the local library and reading room. The Alexandra Hall, a fine building erected as a memorial of the Coronation of King Edward VII., is also the property of the Council. Members of the council for the year 1907: Messrs Hubert Burnett (Mayor), F. Brook, T. Hartstone, H. P. Horne, A. E. Lawrence, D. G. McKibbin, J. Motley, J. A. Nicholas, G. H. Redwood, and R. Shaw (Councillors). The town clerk is Mr. W. G. Crawford.
Councillor H. P. Horne.
Councillor David George McKibbin, of the Woodville Borough Council, was born in the year 1857, in County Down, Ireland, where he was educated, and apprenticed to the drapery business. He afterwards went to London, England, and was for four years with the well known wholesale firm of Copestake, Lindsay, Crampton and Company. In 1884 Mr. McKibbin sailed for Melbourne in the s.s. “Austral,” and landed a few days before she sank in Sydney Harbour. He then came to New Zealand, and entered the employment of Messrs Sargood, Son, and Ewen, and remained with them until 1887. He then removed to Woodville, and established his present business. Mr. McKibbin did well from the start, and four years later moved into larger premises, adjoining the original shop, which has since been used as a grocery store. For several years he was a member of the Woodville School Committee, and is a member of the Woodville Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He married a daughter of Mr. John Elliott, of County Armagh, Ireland, in 1887.
Councillor D. G. McKibbin.
Councillor Joseph Motley, J.P., formerly Mayor of Woodville, is a well-known aerated water and cordial manufacturer, and an old resident of the district. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, in the year 1854, and is the son of the late Mr. Robert Motley. He was educated at Boston, in his native county, and was after wards apprenticed to a shoemaker. At eighteen years of age, however, he enlisted in the 52nd Regiment of Infantry. Three years later, after having been quartered in Ireland, Malta, Gibraltar, and England, he purchased his discharge, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Countess of Kintore.” Mr. Motley landed at Napier, joined the provincial police force, and was transferred to the service of the General Government on the abolition of the provinces. In 1880 he was appointed officer-in-charge of the police, post and telegraph offices, in which he remained about four years. Leaving the force in 1886, he took the management of the Woodville Cheese Factory, but the venture, like many others at that time, fared badly, and a year later he purchased the aerated water and cordial factory of Mr. Charles Birss, which he greatly improved, and has since conducted with success. Mr. Motley also owns 192 acres in the Hall Special Settlement, which has been cleared and grassed for fruit culture and general farming. He has been secretary of the Woodville School Committee, Cottage Hospital Committee, and Oddfellows' Lodge. In 1877 he married Miss Ellen Wainwright, of Brighton, England, who died thirteen years later; in 1890 he married Miss Helena Lucy, of Cork, Ireland, and has nine children.
Councillor and Mrs. J. Motley.
Mr. William Gibb Crawford, Town Clerk and Treasurer to the Borough of Woodville, is a native of Glasgow, where he was born in the year 1836. His father, the late Mr. John Crawford, was a well-known manufacturer of that city. He received his education principally at the Andersonian Institute, and after finishing his term there decided to enter mercantile life in London. The following twenty years were spent in that city in positions of trust and responsibility. He was with the large firm of Peter Robinson and Company, of Oxford Street, for a number of years, and subsequently was twenty years with Messrs Dean and Company. In 1874 he came to New Zealand in the ship “Winchester,” and landed in Napier, where he found employment for about twelve months at the “Herald” office as accountant. He was next appointed master of the Kaikora school. Three years later he was appointed head-master of the Woodville school, where he remained eight years, then retired to establish himself in a general store in Woodville, which business he followed for seven years. He was a member of the Town Board for some years, and in the latter part of 1894 was appointed town clerk. In 1860 Mr. Crawford married a daughter of the late Mr. A. Andrews, of London, England, and has, surviving, four sons and five daughters.
Mr. Robert Eldon Grinlinton, who occupied a seat on the Woodville Borough Council for about nine years, was born in Warrington, Lancashire, England, in the year 1860, and is a son of Mr. W. N. Grinlinton, of Napier. He was educated at Easingwold, Yorkshire, and came with his parents to New Zealand by the ship “Winchester,” in 1874. On arrival in Napier he was apprenticed to Messrs Langley and Newman, cabinetmakers, and four years later, when eighteen years of age, took up a bush farm near Woodville, which he still holds. In 1883 Mr. Grinlinton began business in Woodville as a cabinet-maker, and after a successful run of fourteen years, decided to extend his business so as to include general storekeeping. He has generally lent his aid to all progressive objects, has been an active member of the fire brigade since its institution in 1884, and was captain for some time. He is a past master of page 570 Lodge Ruahine, and a past grand of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows. In 1884 Mr. Grinlinton married the daughter of the late Captain John Sedcole, of Wellington, and has two daughters and four sons.
Mr. Alexander Sandel, formerly a member of the Woodville Borough Council, was born in Konigsberg, Prussia, in the year 1856, and was educated in Riga, Russia, where he spent about eight years in a drapery and fancy goods store. In 1883 he went to St. Louis, U.S.A., and six months later to London, England, and came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Bombay,” in 1884. After four years in business as a draper at Woodville, Mr. Sandel purchased the “Star Hotel,” which he conducted for three years. He then entered into the grain and produce trade for a few months, after which he bought the Club Hotel, and conducted it for two years. In 1894 he purchased the Masonic Hotel, which he afterwards sold, and he subsequently established a business in Woodville as a grocer, ironmonger, etc. Mr. Sandel was a Past Master of Lodge Ruahine, No. 80, N.Z.C., and a member of the Jockey Club, Agricultural and Pastoral Society, Library Committee, and other institutions.
Mr. James Taylor, J.P., formerly a member of the Woodville Borough Council, is a well-known nurseryman. He was born at St. Cyrus, Kincardineshire, Scotland, in the year 1852, educated in Aberdeen-shire, and brought up as a gardener. At twenty-one years of age he went to Canada, where he worked at his calling until 1880, when he returned to England, preparatory to leaving for New Zealand, by the ship “City of Sparta.” Landing at Port Chalmers, Mr. Taylor was for a year on Mr. A. McLean's estate at Waitaki North, then moved northwards to “Clive Grange,” Hawke's Bay, where he worked for nearly five years, after which he started on his own account as a nurseryman in Woodville. Mr. Taylor was for many years a member of the Woodville Borough Council, and was a member of the old Town Board, the Licensing, Library, and School Committees. At the election of 1896 he stood as an independent candidate for the House of Representatives against Mr. O'Meara.
The Woodville County Council was constituted in the year 1901, and has its head-quarters at Woodville. Members for the year 1907: Messrs John Harris (chairman), W. H. Nelson, J. H. Morgan, D. Hughes, G. J. Goldfinch, J. Moorby, R. Patterson, and P. H. Lynch; meetings are held in the council office on the first Thursday in each month. The County is divided into four ridings, namely Woodville, Mangaatua, Maharahara, and Kumeroa. The unimproved value is £444,140, and there is a capital value of £713,886. The county of Woodville has a population of about 2,000. There is a general rate of 1£⅛d in the £ on the unimproved value, and a number of special rates. The roads within the county are metalled and kept in good order.
Mr. J. Harris.
Mr. Frederick John Hutchins was appointed clerk to the Woodville County Council in June, 1906. He was born in Masterton in June, 1883, and received a good public school education. He then entered the employment of Messrs MeKibbin and Company, merchants, Woodville, and subsequently became accountant to the firm, a position he still retains. Mr. Hutchins is a member of the Battalion Band, a member of the choir of the Woodville Presbyterian Church, and has also been a member of the local volunteer corps, fire brigade, and other local bodies.
Mr. F. J. Hutchins.
Mr. James Harvey, Inspector of Stock for Woodville, Pahiatu, Patangata, and Waipawa, was born in Caithness, Scotland, and educated at Wick. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the year 1858, by the ship “Ashburton,” and landed at Wellington. For a number of years he was a shepherd in the Wairarapa, and was afterwards for a while in the Forty-Mile Bush. In 1882 he joined the Government Stock Department, was appointed rabbit agent in the Wairarapa district, and continued in that capacity until 1891, when he received his present appointment. Mr. Harvey is a member of the Masonic body, but unattached. He married a daughter of the late Mr. William Welch, of Taita, Hutt, and has three daughters and one son.
The Public School, Woodville, occupies a prominent position in the main street, opposite the Post Office. The buildings are commodious, and contain six large, well-lighted classrooms. The head-master, Mr. Andrew Stevenson, is assisted by a staff of three assistants, five pupil-teachers, and two probationers. The average attendance is 321, out of a total roll number of 395.
Mr. Andrew Stevenson, Headmaster of the Woodville Public School, was born in the year 1865 in Dunedin, and is a son of the late Mr. Robert Stevenson, an early settler. He was educated in Westland, where he served his pupil-teacher's course and entered the service of the Canterbury Education Board in 1887. Prior to receiving his present appointment, in 1891, he filled the position of head-master of the Rakaia school for four years. Mr. Stevenson was captain of the Woodville Rifles, and was subsequently promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel of the 5th Battalion of Wellington Rifles.
The Woodville Brass Band was formed about the year 1888, and has a membership of twenty-seven. page 572 The band, led by Band-master Lawrence, is a great credit to the district.
Mr. Albert Edward Lawrence, Band-master of the Woodville Brass Band, was born in the year 1864, in London, England, where he was educated. At fourteen years of age he came to New Zealand, and went to Napier, where he learned the trade of a sign-writer and decorator. He was instructed in music by Mr. Bell, bandmaster of the 65th Regiment. Prior to his appointment in 1891, as conductor of the Woodville Band, Mr. Lawrence was band-sergeant under Band-master J. Chicken, at Waipawa, and afterwards under Band-master Curwen, at Woodville.
Mules, Philip Henry, M.B., F. R. C. S. (Edin.), Woodville. Dr. Mules was born at Brightwater, Nelson, in July, 1876, and is the second surviving son of the Right Rev. Charles Oliver Mules, Bishop of Nelson. He was educated at Nelson College, where he matriculated, and then studied for two years at the Otago University. In February, 1899, he went to Edinburgh, where he passed his final examinations in the year 1902, and immediately accepted an appointment as house surgeon of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, under Dr. MacGillivray. Subsequently for three months he held the position of house physician to the Edinburgh Royal Maternity Hospital, under Dr. Barbour, and then engaged for some time in locum-tenens work. In July, 1903, he passed the M. D. clinical examination, and in the following year was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. Dr. Mules then returned to New Zealand as ship surgeon of the “Kumara,” and was afterwards for some time medical examiner to an insurance office for the North Auckland district. Dr. Mules subsequently settled in Woodville, where he took over the practice formerly conducted by Dr. Dawson.
Leigh, Edward Henry, Pharmaceutical Chemist and Optician, Vogel Street, Woodville. The pharmacy is completely stocked with toilet requisites, perfumery, patent medicines, pure drugs and chemicals. A feature of this establishment is the dispensing of physicians' prescriptions and family recipes, in which the purest drugs are used. Mr. Leigh was born in the year 1881, at Havelock North, and, after passing through the local public school, was apprenticed to his profession under Mr. W. J. Tyerman, in Hastings. During his term of apprenticeship he studied under the Rev. A. White, M. A., B. Sc., F. L. S., B. D. In April, 1901, he passed his final examination, and was registered as a duly-qualified chemist. For one year subsequently Mr. Leigh was employed in Mr. A. J. Williams' pharmacy in Napier, and during that time taught chemistry and botany at the technical school. He then bought his present business. In December, 1906, he started a branch pharmacy at Hastings, which has been a very successful venture. Mr. Leigh is a member of the vestry in the local Anglican Church.
Mr. E. H. Leigh.
The Bank Of New Zealand, Woodville, was opened in the year 1882, by Mr. G. H. Sinclair, and the building has since been considerably enlarged. Mr. Sinclair was succeeded successively by Mr. J. Guillum Scott; Mr. William Cook, Mr. Charles Smith, and Mr. C. H. Mitford; the latter being the present manager.
Latham and Company, Land and Estate Agents, McLean Street, Woodville. This business was established in the year 1902 by Mr. Latham, who in 1904 was joined in partnership by Mr. A. H. Dillon, who subsequently became sole proprietor. The business transacted by the firm extends over the whole of the province, and also into the Wellington district, and consists chiefly of the purchase and sale of sheep runs and dairy farms. In 1905 sales of over £210,000 worth of property were effected.
Mr. Alfred Herbert Dillon, of the firm of Messrs Latham and Company, is the third son of Mr. Alfred Dillon, M. H. R. for Hawke's Bay, and was born at Patangata in July, 1871. He was educated at public schools, and afterwards learned farming. Later, he took up a sheep farm of 600 acres at Elsthorpe, which he successfully farmed for some time, and then settled at Woodville. Mr. Dillon is a member of the committee of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and the Woodville Jockey Club, and is vice-president of the Woodville Football and Swimming Clubs. He is married and has two daughters.
Murray, Francis, Land, Estate, and General Commission Agent, Woodville. Mr. Murray established his present business in the year 1905. He was born at the Thames, Auckland, in the year 1871, and was educated at private and public schools. He afterwards learned farming, and for many years subsequently farmed on his own account, and for some time also in partnership with his brother, Mr. Martin Murray, now (1907) clerk of the Waipawa County Council. Mr. Murray farms a fine property of 300 acres at Maharahara. He takes a keen interest in public affairs, and is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Woodville Jockey Club, and the Woodville Borough Council. Mr. Murray is also a Justice of the Peace.
Mr. F. Murray.
Monteith, Henry, Auctioneer, Land, Estate, Financial and Stock Agent, Valuer, etc., McLean Street, page 573 Woodville Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Monteith was born in the year 1818, in Victoria, Australia, where he was educated and brought up to farming. In 1861 he went to Queensland, where he remained for about five years on his father's station. Mr. Monteith came to New Zealand in 1868, landed in Otago, and was at Switzers for two years. He then went to Ohinemuri, Thames, and soon afterwards to Tahoraiti, Hawke's Bay, under engagement as book-keeper for Mr. Elmbranch, storekeeper. Two years later he entered into contracting of various kinds, and in company with Mr. Angus MacKay, built the railway bridge at Waipukurau, and several other important bridges. When Dannevirke was first settled, Mr. Monteith contracted to “pack” thither the goods of the first twenty-one families. He then settled at Waipukurau, where he opened a carrying agency and auctioneering business. Two years later he purchased a horse bazaar at Napier, where he was actively engaged in business for eleven years, during six of which he was a member of the Napier Borough Council. He was instrumental also in floating several companies, such as the Napier Park Company, and the Napier Recreation Ground Company. In the year 1890 he removed to Woodville, and established his business there. Mr. Monteith has always been active in public matters. He was the first member representing Woodville in the Waipawa County Council after the passing of the Counties Act, and remained a member until change of residence necessitated his retirement. He has been a steward of the Racing Club, a member of the committee of the Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and a member of the Mangaatua Road Board. Mr. Monteith married a daughter of Mr. A. Jones, of Waipukurau, the well-known agricultural implement maker, and has two sons and four daughters.
Wilson, J. G., Authorised an Licensed Surveyor, Land Valuer. Finance, Insurance and General Agent, McLean Street. Woodville. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand, Woodville, and Union Bank of Australia, Wellington. Mr. Wilson was born at Turakina in the year 1861, and is a son of the late Captain Wilson, who shortly afterwards removed with his family to Gisborne, where, with the exception of Mr. J. G. Wilson, they all fell victims to the murderous work of Te Kooti and his followers. Captain Wilson and three of his children were killed at once, but Mrs. Wilson, though fatally wounded, was able to crawl away to some hiding place, where she was found and tended as well as was possible by her surviving son, a little boy of seven, who, in the excitement of the moment, had been allowed by his would-be-murderers to escape to the bush, where he wandered about throughout the night. Mrs. Wilson was removed to Napier, where a few days subsequently, she succumbed to her injuries. The young survivor was then placed under the care of his grandparents in London, England, where he was partly educated at the North London Collegiate School, and on his return to New Zealand he attended the Napier Grammar School. Joining the Survey Department in 1878, Mr. Wilson was articled to Mr. Walter Hallett, Government Surveyor, and for the following fifteen years was engaged in the survey of the Hawke's Bay and Gisborne districts. He afterwards joined the East Coast Hussars, Heretaunga Light Horse, etc., and is one of the best shots in the Colony. He has held the Wairarapa Championship and Challenge Shield, and for several years he was in the final fifty for the Colonial Championship, averaging about the tenth man.
Mr. J. G. Wilson.
Motley, Joseph, Aerated Water and Cordial Manufacturer, Bowen Street. Woodville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Motley's factory is fitted up with the newest type of machinery, which is driven by a steam-engine. His general and special lines of manufacture, which are delivered all round the district, include lemonade, soda-water, ginger-ale, champage-cider, raspberryade, football-punch, orange-champagne, and all kinds of syrups. Mr. Motley is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Woodville Borough Council.
Mr. J. Motley's Residence.
Cross, John Waldron, Builder and Contractor, Woodville. Mr. Cross was born in Leicester, England, in the year 1851, and was educated and apprenticed to the building trade in his native town. In 1874 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Asia,” and landed at Port Chalmers. He worked at his trade in Otago and Southland for eight or nine years, and after two years in Canterbury, and a somewhat shorter period in Wellington, settled at Woodville in 1886. As a borough councillor for about three years Mr. Cross has taken a part in public affairs. He is an Oddfellow of many years' standing and has been through the chairs, and is a member of the Woodville Rifle Club. Mr. Cross is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. J. W. Cross.
McKibbin, D. G., Draper, Grocer, and Ironmonger, Vogel Street. Woodville. P. O. Box 16. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. This business is one of the largest in Woodville. The shops are extensive and well stocked, with good show and millinery rooms at the back of the main building. Nearly all the stock is imported direct from European and American markets. A good trade is done with the farmers in the surrounding districts. Mr. McKibbin is further referred to as a member of the Woodville Borough Council.
Grinlinton, Ernest Roden, Cabinet-maker and Undertaker, Vogel Street, Woodville. Mr. Grinlinton established his present business in the year 1809. The building, the joint property of Messrs Grinlinton and Harding, is a large two-storeyed one, and the portion used by the former comprises a large show-room, a workshop, and a store-room. Mr. Grinlinton keeps a large and well-arranged stock of manufactured and imported furniture of all kinds, the goods made and sold are of the best quality, and the prices are reasonable. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in August. 1873, and was brought to New Zealand by his parents as an infant. He received a good general education in Napier, was subsequently employed by Mr. M. D. Spriggs for about eighteen months, and then settled in Woodville, where, for twelve years, he found employment with his brother as a cabinet-maker and undertaker. Mr. Grinlinton is captain of the Woodville Fire Brigade, with which he has been connected for many years, and is manager of the Woodville Junior Football Club.
Bly, Robert, Hair-dresser, Tobacconist, and Billiard-Saloon Proprietor, Vogel Street, Woodville. This business was established by Mr. A. G. Riches, and acquired by the present proprietor in April, 1906. The premises consist of a convenient shop, which carries a considerable stock of first-class goods, a hair-dressing saloon containing two chairs, and a large billiard room, furnished with one of Aleoek's best tables. Mr. Bly was born at Feilding, in January, 1881, and is a son of a farmer. He was educated at the Feilding and Pahiatua public schools, and then learned the hair-dressing trade. Subsequently he found employment for two years in the grocery business, and then returned to his trade. In 1901 he entered the employment of Mr. Riches, of Woodville, with whom he remained until taking over the business on his own account. Mr. Bly is Chief Ranger in the local lodge of Foresters, a member of the Woodville District Jockey Club, the Cage Birds, Pigeon, and Poultry Association, and the Woodville Fire Brigade. He takes a keen interest in football, is a member of the sports committee of the Woodville Football Club, and in the year 1905 played wing-forward in the junior representative team.
Harding, Edgar, Cycle Engineer, Vogel Street, Woodville. This business was established in the year 1901, by the present proprietor. The premises consist of a large two-storeyed wooden building, well fitted up and appointed. A fine stock of “Raleigh” and “Rover” bicycles, and other makes of a cheaper grade, is displayed in the show-room, and the workshop has ample space and facilities for the mechanical operations. The proprietor is a qualified engineer and an expert cycle repairer, and a specialty is made of repairing. Mr. Harding was born in Woodville, in August, 1878, and shortly after leaving school was apprenticed to the engineering trade, to which he closely applied himself for several years, and gained a first-class certificate. He is a “representative” footballer, is Quarter-Master Sergeant in the 5th Wellington Battalion, and is a member of the local Rechabite Lodge, and the Wesleyan Church.
Mr. E. Harding.
Loader, William, Saddler and Harness Maker, Vogel Street, Woodville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Branch at Mangatainoka. Mr. Loader established his saddlery business in the year 1885 in premises on the Masterton Road, and about six years later removed to the present site. The premises have a frontage of thirty feet, and the stock is of excellent quality. Every description of saddlery and harness is manufactured by Mr. Loader, and horse covers are a specialty with him. The Mangatainoka branch is in charge of Mr. Reid, and both establishments are well patronised with an extensive town and country connection. Mr. Loader was born in London, England, in 1866, and came to New Zealand in 1871, with his parents, who settled in page 575 Waipukurau, where he received his education. He served his time with Mr. J. L. Sterry, of Waipukurau, and worked at his trade in Woodville for two years, before starting in business on his own account. Mr. Loader was vice-president of the Woodville cricket club for 1897, and is a member of the Jockey Club and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He is married, and has four daughters and one son.
Mr W. Loader.
The Mangaatua Fellmongery (J. H. and W. Dean, proprietors), Woodville. This fellmongery is situated on the bank of the Mangaatua stream, on the south side of Woodville. It was established in the year 1892 by Mr. Raybone, and after passing through several hands, was taken over by the present proprietors in 1901. The works are situated on a site of two acres, and consist of a large two storeyed wooden building, divided into various departments. In front of the building is a well-construeted drying stage, which provides accommodation for two bales of wool. During the busy season six persons are employed, and a large amount of prepared and greasy wool, pelts, and hides are exported. Messrs Dean Brothers are also proprietors of a fellmongery at Masterton.
Mr. Joseph Henry Dean, senior partner in the firm of Messrs Dean Brothers, was born in the Wellington province in the year 1879, and was educated at Wanganui. He afterwards learned the fellmongery trade, found employment in various parts of Hawke's Bay, and in 1901 joined his brother in partnership. Mr. Dean is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Woodville Lodge of the Order of Forestors, and the Woodville Jockey and Football Clubs.
Mr. William Dean, junior partner in the firm of Messrs Dean Brothers, was born in Foxton in the year 1881, and was educated at Wanganui public schools. For five years afterwards he worked for his father, who conducted a fellmongery at Palmerston North, and later was employed for a time at the Aramoho Freezing Works before joining his brother in partnership. Mr. Dean is a member of the Order of Foresters, and the Woodville Football Club.
Watson and Company . General Merchants, Vogel Street, Woodville. This business was carried on for many years by Messrs Monteith and Company, and was taken over by the present proprietors in the year 1903. The premises consist of a large two-storeyed wooden building, with a commodious dwelling house attached, and stands on a section with a frentage to two streets. There is a large retail department, with two show-windows. It is fitted up with two counters, which extend the whole length of the shop. At the rear and on the first floor are large store rooms, which carry a heavy stock of bulk stores. Messrs Watson and Company keep a well-assorted stock of general merchandise, prices are moderate, and a good steady trade is conducted throughout the town and district. Deliveries are made daily, and six persons are constantly employed.
Mr. Thomas Fraser Watson, of the firm of Messrs Watson and Company, was born at Port Ahuriri in January, 1878. He was educated at the Havelock North public school, and for some years subsequently assisted in his father's store. Later, on the death of his father, he managed the store for about four years, and then in 1903 settled in Woodville. Mr. Watson is married and has one daughter.
Mr. T. F. Watson.
Grinlinton, R. E., and Company (R. E. Grinlinton). General Storekeepers and House Furnishers, Vogel Street, Woodville. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Private residence. Ross Street. Mr. Grinlinton's business premises are large and well-appointed, and the stock, much of which is imported direct, is very extensive. Mr. Grinlinton is referred to page 576 elsewhere as a former member of the Woodville Borough Council.
Raumati Farm, near Woodville, the property of Messrs Nelson Brothers, is a first-class farm of 400 acres, most of which is rich, flat land, and the remainder rolling and hilly country. It is highly improved, well-fenced and subdivided, and laid down in good English grasses. About 250 sheep are depastured, and about seventy cows are milked daily.
Mr. John Samuel Nelson was born in the year 1873 at Dunsandel. Canterbury, where he was educated and brought up to farming. At eighteen years of age he went to Waddington. where he farmed chiefly on his own account till October, 1903, when he bought a farm of 874 acres at Matahiwi. This he worked for two years, then sold out, and settled at Woodville. Mr. Nelson is a member of the Woodville Agricultural and Pastoral Association and the Farmers' Union.
Mr. James Otto Nelson was born at Dunsandel on the 9th of November, 1882, was educated in his native place, and worked for some years on his father's farm at Waddington. In 1905 he took up his present property in conjunction with his brother.
Mr. David Mitchell Horne was born in the year 1844 in For “a” shire, Scotland, where he was educated and apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade. He entered into business on his own account at March of Lunon Bank, and continued there for eight years. In 1878 he came to New Zealand, by the ship “City of Auckland,” which was afterwards wrecked at Otaki on the pasage out. Mr. Horne was for four years in the employment of Mr. Jones, of Waipukurau, and then settled at Woodville and established himself in business as a wheelwright and general blacksmith, which he conducted successfully for many years. He then retired in favour of his son, Mr. Henry Horne, and now (1907) resides on his farm at Ballance. Mr. Horne has taken an active part in public affairs, was a member of the borough council, and for fifteen years was a member of the school committee. As a member of the Independent Order of Rechabites he was superintendent of the Juvenile Tent, was treasurer of the Presbyterian Church from its establishment in Woodville, was a trustee of the public library and a director of the Woodville Building Society. At the local agricultural shows he has carried off the chief prizes against all comers. Mr. Horne has had four daughters and eight sons.
Mr. John O'Meara, sometime member of the House of Representatives for Pahiatua, was born in Melbourne, Australia, in the year 1856, and is a son of the late Mr. James O'Meara. He was educated at the Melbourne Model School and at St. Francis and St. Augustine's Schools, came to New Zealand in 1868, and settled in Queenstown, where he entered the Post and Telegraph Department, and remained in the service for about fourteen years. Mr. O'Meara first took an active interest in politics when he was chairman of the Lake County Council, which position he held for three years, and for eight years was a member of the Queenstown Borough Council. He contested the Wakatipu seat in 1893, against Mr. Fraser, and the late Hon. W. J. M. Larnach, and was second on the poll. Mr. O'Meara afterwards removed to Hawke's Bay, and three years later stood for Pahiatua, in page 577 the Liberal interest, and was returned against four opponents. He was president of the Pahiatua Racing Club and of numerous other local institutions. In 1886 he married the second daughter of Mr. J. A. Eissenhardt, architect, of Greymouth, and has three daughters and two sons. Mr. O'Meara died some time ago.