The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Weber, named after the first surveyor of the township, is situated in the county of Waipawa, 104 miles south-west from Napier, and twenty-five miles from Dannevirke, on the coach route to Hebertville. The country is rugged, largely mountainous in character, and is occupied chiefly with extensive grazing runs. Sheep and cattle rearing are the chief industries, and there is also a dairy factory. There is beautiful scenery in the neighbourhood, and the Akitio Falls may be reached on borseback. Good shooting and game of all kinds can be obtained. Weber has one hotel, a post and telegraph office, with other Government departments, a public school, a church, and a hall. There is a tri-weekly mail-coach service with Dannevirke and the coast.
The Weber Public School is a wood and iron building, with two good class-rooms and a teacher's residence attached. There is also a large play-ground. The roll number is forty-six, and there is an average attendance of forty-one. Miss Lambert was the first teacher in charge, and she was followed successively by Miss Sutherland, Miss Brabazon, Mr. Quigley, and the present master. Miss E. M. Brewer is mistress.
Mr. Ernest Mayo was appointed master of the Weber Public School in July, 1906. He was born at Wairoa, Hawke's Bay, in December. 1878, and is the sixth son of Mr. George Mayo. He was educated at the Wairoa Public School, where he afterwards served as a pupil teacher for five years. Mr. Mayo then spent a year at the Napier Training College, and subsequently taught in turn at Portland Island, Tiniroto, Morere Hot Springs, and other places in the Hawke's Bay province. Mr. Mayo holds an E3 certificate, and has also a partial D.
Mr. E. Mayo.
The Royal Oak Hotel (W. S. Harvey, proprietor), Weber. This hotel is a fine two-storeyed wooden building, recently erected to the special design of the present proprietor, to replace the old house that was destroyed by fire in 1906. A verandah and a balcony extend across the front of the building, which contains over thirty rooms. On the ground floor there are three comfortable sitting rooms, a fine commercial room, two large well-appointed dining rooms, and a well-stocked bar. The first floor contains two sitting rooms, about twenty comfortable bedrooms, lavatories, and a fine bathroom, with hot and cold water laid on. The service and attention shown to travellers are everything that could page 568 be desired; a good table in kept, and the tariff is moderate.
Mr. William Simpson Harvey, proprietor of the Royal Oak Hotel, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, in June, 1865, and was brought up to farm life. He emigrated to New Zealand in the year 1887, and was employed for about four years on Messrs Armstrong's sheep station at Akitio. Mr. Harvey subsequently found employment on various other runs for several years, and then bought a small sheep farm at Weber. This he successfully farmed on his own account before acquiring the Royal Oak Hotel, in April, 1902.