The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Mr. James Allardice, one of the oldest of the Dannevirke settlers, was born on the 23rd of December, 1846, in Cumberland, England. In the year 1863 he went to Victoria, Australia, where he found employment at farm work for a year, and in 1865 came to New Zealand, and settled in Hawke's Bay. For twelve months he was in charge of Captain Hunter's stables in Napier, afterwards worked for a time at Porangahau, Tahoraiti, and Hatuma, working in the latter place for Mr. Purvis Russell. Mr. Allardice returned to Napier, joined the Armed Constabulary, and took part in the page 567 expedition in search of Te Kooti. A year later he resigned from the force, and worked for Messrs Russell Brothers, at Waipukurau, as a horse trainer, He afterwards became manager of Mr. Purvis Russell's Havelock North estate, and subsequently established a livery stable in Napier. Soon afterwards, however, he sold out, and went to Tahoraiti, where for six months he conducted an hotel in partnership with Mr. Elmbranch, and in the year 1872 settled in Dannevirke, where for many years he was engaged in general storekeeping. Subsequently he built the Masonic Hotel, conducted it for some time, and then took up his present farm of 145 acres. Mr. Allardice also owns considerable property in Dannevirke. He was for many years a member and chairman of the Dannevirke Town Board, and was a member of the school committee, and the Dannevirke Domain and Road Boards. He takes a keen interest in volunteer matters, and was a member of the Ruahine Mounted Rifles from the inception of the corps till its disbandment, and gained the rank of senior sergeant.
Mr. J. Allardice.
Mr. John Henderson, who was one of Auckland's early colonists, was born in the year 1823, in Sunderland, Durham. England, where his father was a brick and tile manufacturer. Educated in his native town. Mr. Henderson worked with his father until 1858, when he left England for New Zealand, by the ship “Evening Star” (Captain Ewen), and took up land in the vicinity of Auckland, Mangere, and Otahuhu. He was employed by the late Captain Walmsley and the late Mr. William Buckland, and in 1867 removed to Canterbury, where he occupied a farm for many years. After his sons settled in Dannevirke, Mr. Henderson disposed of his farm, and removed to Hawke's Bay, where he took contracts for cutting timber, etc. In 1892 he retired with a competence. Mr. Henderson was married, and had five sons and two daughters. He died some time ago.
Mr. Anton Bernard Thomsen was born in the year 1850, in Christiania, Norway, where he was educated and served his time to the saddlery and upholstery trades. He came to New Zealand in 1873, by the ship “Hovding,” was employed on Colonel Lambert's farm, and also worked on the railway for some time, before starting in business as a general storekeeper in Norsewood. This business he subsequently disposed of, and settled at Dannevirke. While a resident of Norsewood, Mr. Thomsen was mail contractor between Ormondville and Norsewood for four years, was a member for many years of the Norsewood Road Board, and was also a member of the Norsewood School Committee. He is married, and has four sons and one daughter.