The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Wood Trade — Gamman, G. A., and Company
Gamman, G. A., and Company (G. A. Gamman, W. A. Gamman, and H. M. Simmonds, proprietors), Sawmillers, Timber and Coal Merchants, Dannevirke. Messrs G. A. Gamman first started business as proprietors of a mill at Kumeroa, gradually extended their operations, and now (1907) conduct four mills, situated respectively at Makotuku, Matamau, and Piripiri. The mills at Makotuku are situated at Smith's siding, and are fitted with first-class machinery. One is driven by a thirty horse-power engine, and the other by two portable twenty horse-power engines. They employ seventy persons, and cut about 18,000 feet of timber daily. The Matamau mill is driven by a twenty-five horse-power stationary engine, and turns out 9,000 feet of sawn timber daily, employing thirty persons. The mill at Piripiri is a re-cutting, planing, and moulding concern, possessing four planes and a complete plant of the latest moulding machinery, and employs about sixteen persons. The timbers cut are chiefly totara, rimu, white pine, and matai, which find a ready market. At Palmerston North the firm have established a large sash and door factory, which is fitted with the latest machinery, and employs fifteen persons. The firm also hold cutting rights over 6,000 acres in the King Country. Besides a large local and New Zealand trade, Messrs Gamman and Company export largely to Australia.