The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Borough Of Dannevirke
Borough Of Dannevirke.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Hans Madsen Ries, J.P., was first elected to the Mayoral chair in 1903, was re-elected unopposed in the following year, and at the close of his second term was presented with a gold watch and chain by the burgesses of Dannevirke. He was returned in April, 1906, at a contested election, with a large majority, and during his administration many important works, including the completion of the drainage works, the hospital, the abattoir, and the municipalisation of the gas works have been undertaken. Mr. Ries was born in the year 1860, in the province of Schleswig, Denmark. He received a sound preliminary education, and soon afterwards entered one of the public schools as a teacher. Later on, however, he decided upon the Church as his future calling, and with this object in view, studied German, Latin, and Greek, and subsequently went through a five years' course of study at a school of divinity in his native province. His intention was to take up mission work in India, but failing health caused him to change his plans, and in 1886 he accepted a call from the little newly-formed Danish settlement at Norse-wood, twelve miles from Dannevirke. Mr. Ries came to New Zealand, was ordained in September, 1887, and then began his ministry. In the following year, however, owing chiefly to a disastrous fire which destroyed the township, he found that the settlement was quite unable to raise the necessary funds to support a minister; so, on his own suggestion, it was agreed that he should become honorary minister, and enter into commercial life. In 1890 he visited his native land, and brought out to New Zealand a party of others, including his mother and three sisters. Settling again at Norse wood, Mr. Ries erected on his own property the first butter factory in Hawke's Bay, which for about six months subsequently was under his sole management. It was afterwards replaced by an up-to-date concern with modern implements and machinery. About this time Mr. Ries began to import vehicles, a prisk demand for which had been created by the dairying industry. In 1895 two ministers arrived from Denmark, and Mr. Ries, relieved from his clerical duties in Norsewood, removed to Dannevirke, where he established his present business under the style of Messrs Ries and Sons. Notwithstanding his busy public and commercial life, Mr. Ries has always found considerable time to devote to religious work; he serves his own people in Dannevirke without stipend, and also frequently preaches in other pulpits in the town. As president of the Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Convention of New Zealand and Queensland, he visited the latter State, where he preached in the various Lutheran Churches. Mr. Ries is a staunch liberal, a strong supporter of the present Government, and a vigorous advocate of no license. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay United Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Waipawa County Council, the Hawke's Bay Education Board, the local Licensing Bench, a member of the Executive of the Hawke's Bay District Lodge of Foresters, chairman of the local Technical Institute, one of the Governors of the Dannevirke, High School, and a member of the Cemetery Board. Mr. Ries is also chairman of the Dannevirke Hospital Board, was one of the chief organisers of the movement to erect a local hospital, and did a great deal towards raising the necessary funds.
Mr. H. M. Ries, Mayor of Dannevirke.
Councillor Henry Joseph Clayton, who was first elected to the Dannevirke Borough Council in 1905, was born at Napier in the year 1866. Soon afterwards the family removed to Gisborne, where Mr. Clayton's father, a builder by trade, was a member of the first borough council, and for years an officer in the fire brigade. Mr. Clayton was educated in the Gisborne public school, was afterwards for two years in an interpreter's office— where he gained a knowledge of the Maori language— and subsequently found employment in an auctioneer and stock agent's business. Later on he joined the staff of Mr. Joe Leonard's branch drapery business in Gisborne, and three years afterwards entered the employment of Mr. William Adair. Messrs Graham, Pitt, and Bennett, of Gisborne, were his next employers, and in 1889 he went to Wellington, where he joined the staff of Messrs Hallenstein Brothers, of the New Zealand Clothing Factory. He was soon afterwards appointed first assistant in the firm's Napier branch, and in 1893 was transferred as manager of the Dannevirke branch. Mr. Clayton was for some time captain of the athletic and cycling club, is an Oddfellow of many years' standing, a member of the committee of management of the Presbyterian Church, and one of the founders and first secretary of the Dannevirke Volunteer Fire Brigade. He ismarried, and has one son and two daughters.
Councillor John Cattenach Davidson was elected a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council in April, 1905. He was born in Dundee, Scotland, on the 22nd of November, 1875, was educated at various public schools, and brought up to the engineering profession, under his father, in his native city. In the year 1896 he came to New Zealand, under engagement to Mr. John Drummond, of Dannevirke. On the 30th of July, 1901, he purchased his employer's business, and has since conducted a large and increasing trade on his own account. The premises are situated on Miller's Road, and are well adapted for the trade. Six persons are kept constantly employed at general smithing, iron and brass founding, and engineering; and the business is largely patronised by both town and country residents. Mr. Davidson is a member of the local lodge of Oddfellows. He is married and has two sons.
Councillor John Drummond was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in the year 1854, and is a son of Mr. David Drummond, of that city. He was educated in Perthshire, and in 1866 came to New Zealand with his parents, by the ship “King of Italy.” Landing at Auckland, the family soon afterwards settled in Hawke's Bay, where Mr. Drummond was apprenticed to one of the leading engineers. In 1892 the firm of Tinline, and Drummond was formed, and soon afterwards Mr. Drummond bought out his partner, and for seven years conducted a large engineering and general smithing business on his own account. In 1901 he sold the goodwill of his business to Mr. J. C. Davidson, and entered into partnership with Mr. John Calder, under the style of Messrs Calder and Drummond. Whilst devoting himself diligently to business, Mr. Drummond has given a good deal of time to public affairs. He was a member of the Taradale Road Board, and River Conservation Board, was for many years a member of the Meanee Road Board, of which he was chairman for a term, and a member of the Taradale Town Board. Since settling in Dannevirke he has been a member of the Waipawa County Council, and has been connected with the Borough as both councillor and mayor, having occupied the mayoral chair from 1897 to May, 1902. Mr. Drummond has taken much interest in militarv matters, and is a good shot. Besides winning seven medals and a large number of trophies at Christchurch in 1884, he gained fifth place for the Carbine belt; he was sergeant in the F Battery at Napier, was for a time captain of the Dannevirke Rifles, and is Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 5th Wellington Battalion. In 1883 he married Miss McLeod, of “Woodside,” Onga Onga, and has five sons and two daughters. Mr. Drummond, who was one of the team that represented New Zealand at Bisley, in 1904 and 1905, is one of the leading shots of the Colony; and his second son, Mr. John Drummond, is a medical student at the Edinburgh University, where he has distinguished himself in several classes.
Councillor J. Drummond.
Councillor William Johnstone, who was elected to the Dannevirke Borough Council in April, 1905, was born at Meanee, near Napier, on the 7th of June, 1868. He was educated at public and private schools, and afterwards learned the coach-building trade under the late Mr. George Faulkner, of Napier, with whom he remained for eighteen years, latterly as foreman. In March, 1903, he resigned this position in order to start business in Dannevirke in partnership with Mr. Frame, which business has since become widely known as a prosperous and progressive concern. Mr. Johnstone was for some time a member of the fire brigade and the fire police in Napier, is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a Past District Chief Ranger in the Order of Foresters. He is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Councillor Donald McIntyre, who has been a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council since the year 1902, was born in the Rangitikei district in 1860, and was employed for some time in farming work in the Wairarapa, Feilding, Wanganui, and page 542 Rangitikei districts. He was also employed for a few years in the Dannevirke district, where he worked for a time at the first saw-mill erected there. Later on Mr. McLntyre went to Australia, was for four years in charge of the stud stables of Mr. David Syme, of the Melbourne:” Age,” and was surbsequently engaged in surveying. He then returned to New Zealand, and settled in Dannevirke, where he has since been continuously engaged in contract work. Mr. McLntyre is an Oddfellow of many years' standing, and is a Past Provincial Grand Master of the Order. He is a member of the athletic and cycling club, and was a member of the South School Committee. Mr. McLntyre is married, and has four sons and three daughters.
Henderson, photo Councillor D. McIntyre.
Councillor George Newett, j.P., was elected a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council on the 2nd of May, 1906. He was born in Ireland in the year 1861, and was brought up to farming. Subsequently for five years he managed an estate in one of the southern counties, and in 1881 went to Australia, where he worked for a time on a large cattle station in the North of Queensland. He was then appointed manager of the State Farm, near Sydney, and six years later came to New Zealand. Mr. Newett first took up a farm at Tolago Bay, in the Gisborne district, which he worked for three years, and in 1895 settled in Dannevirke. For a time he managed a farm for Messrs Baddley and Henderson, and later on started a commission agency business, which he has since successfully conducted. He was made a Justice of the Peace in 1906. Mr. Newett is married, and Mrs. Newett is the proprietress of a stationery and fancy goods business in High Street.
Councillor G. Newett.
Councillor William Rose, member of the Dannevirke Borough Council, and Agent for the Public Trustee at Dannevirke, was born in Culvain, near Tain, Ross-shire, Scotland, in the year 1852, and is a son of Mr. Donald Rose, farmer. On leaving school, he was with his father on their farm until about twenty years of age, when he came to New Zealand in the ship “Peter Denney.” Mr. Rose landed at Port Chalmers, found employment as a shepherd at Cromwell, and was subsequently for about five years on the estate of the the Hon. Matthew Holmes, at Lee Stream, near Outram. He removed to the North Island in 1878, and engaged in the meat trade at Taradale until 1886, when he settled in Dannevirke. Since that time he has been Government valuator. In 1897 the duties of the Public Trust Office were added, and for many years he has been in business as a land and financial agent. Mr. Rose was a member of the Dannevirke School Committee for a few years, and was elected to the Borough Council in 1807. He married the daughter of Mr. Henry Howard, of Taradale, in 1880, and has five daughters and two sons.
Councillor W. Rose.
Councillor John Thomas Wilson was elected a member of the Dannevirke Borough Council in April, 1905. He was born at Waihola, Otago, on the 22nd of April, 1866, and was educated at public schools in Dunedin. page 543 He was afterwards employed for ten years in the warehouse of Messrs Ross and Glendining, Dunedin, where he gained a thorough knowledge of the soft goods trade. In 1886 he accepted an engagement with Messrs Davidson and Irvine, soft goods merchants, of Napier, and after remaining ten years with that firm he removed to Dannevirke, as manager of the drapery department of the D.C.A. In 1901 he resigned this position in order to establish himself in business on his own account, and he has since conducted a very successful business as a hatter, mercer, clothier, and boot importer in High Street. While in Dunedin Mr. Wilson was secretary for some years of the North East Valley Brass Band, of which he was one of the promoters. He is treasurer of the Dannevirke School Committee, of which he was at one time secretary; a member of the Order of Foresters, and has been secretary of the local lodge since 1901; and a trustee of the Dannevirke Hospital. Mr. Wilson is married, and has four sons and three daughters.
Councillor J. T. Wilson.
Mr. Frank Gustave Magnusson was appointed Town Clerk of Dannevirke in October, 1903. He was born in Wellington in 1861, was educated at public schools, and then joined the staff of the Government printing office, where he remained for two years. He then entered the employment of Messrs Turnbull and Company, and subsequently resigned that position to take up the teaching profession. For many years Mr. Magnusson was in the service of the Wellington Education Board, and in 1898 was appointed assistant town clerk of Masterton. Later, he established himself in business as a general commission agent, and subsequently received his present appointment. He is also secretary and treasurer of the Dannevirke Domain Board, and was for some time a member of the Masterton Borough Council. Mr. Magnusson is married, and has two sons and three daughters.