The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Waipawa (which in the Maori languagem means “smoky” or “steaming water”), is the chief town in the county of Waipawa, and is situated on the northern bank of the Waipawa river, thirty-nine miles south by rail from Napier. On the southern bank of the river there is the Maori settlement of Tapairu, well laid out with several fine dwellings, and which is the home of a considerable population of native people. The surrounding country, once dense bush, is now cleared, and there is no evidence of timber milling except a timber yard, which is used as a distributing depot for timber obtained many miles away. Waipawa is the centre of a large pastoral district, and is surrounded by sheep runs. The land is chiefly undulanting, and of first-class quality. The township of Waipawa has several good buildings, inclding post, telegraph, money order, and Government offices, churches, and an excellent public and private schools, a convent, three hotels, and a brewery. A newspaper is published three times a week; the Magistrate's Court sits fortnightly; and there is a rifle crops, a fire brigade, and athletic and social clubs. Stock sales are held monthly, and the half holiday is held on Wednesday. Good trout fishing is to be obtained in the Waipawa river.
The Waipawa Town Board was formed in January, 1884. The town area is about 500 acres in extent, and was formerly part of a road district. There is a population of 680. Two of the main thorughfares in the town are county roads, and these are supervised, and the rates thereon collected by the Town Board, on behalf of the County Council. The Board also collects the county rate and the county Charitable Aid and Hospital levy of one-ninth of a penny in the pound on the capital value. The unimproved value is £43,044, and the capital value is £86,207. A general rate of 3d in the pound is levied on page 498 the former, and two special rates of one-tenth of a penny, and one twenty-fourth of a penny in the pound respectively are levied on the capital value, to pay interest on loans. A loan of £7,000 was (1906) raised for a water supply, the work of which was carried out under the supervision of Mr. H. H. Metcalfe, C.E. The town is lighted with kerosene lamps, but a better system is to be installed; the town is also well drained. The Waipawa District Hospital is situated at Waipukurau. Members of the Board for 1906–08:—Messrs William I. Limbrick (chairman), Herbert M. Rathbone, Walter D. Patterson, Stephen McGreevy, John Harker, Albert E. Jull, and Patrick J. Griffin. Mr. J. C. Taylor is the Town Clerk.
Mr. William Isaac Limbrick, Chairman of the Waipawa Town Board, was born in London, England, in the year 1869, and came to New Zealand at the age of five years. Subsequently he was in business as an hotelkeeper. Mr. Limbrick has since been engaged in the valuation, purchase, and sale of hotel property, in conjunction with which he carries on business as a furniture importer.
Mr. Herbert Melville Rathbone has been a member of the Waipawa Town Board since the year 1896. He was born at Waipawa in the year 1870, and is a son of the late Mr. William Rathbone, one of the early settlers of Hawke's Bay. Mr. Rathbone was educated at the Napier Boys' High School, and afterwards studied farming at the Lincoln Agricultural College, Canterbury. He joined his father in business in 1891. Mr. Rath-bone is a member of the Waipawa County Racing Club, the Waipawa Lawn Tennis, Cricket, Football, and Bowling Clubs, the Loyal Abbotstord Lodge of Oddfellows, and was captain of the Waipawa Rifle Volunteer Corps. Mr. Rathbone is married, and has four children.
Mr. George L. Abrahams, sometime a member of the Waipawa Town Board, was one of its progressive members, and a warm supporter of all matters tending to advance the town and district. He was born in London, England, where he was educated, and brought up as a painter and paper hanger by his father. He came to New Zealand in the year 1873, by the ship “Schiehallion,” landed at Napier, and shortly afterwards removed to Waipawa, where he worked as journeyman for Mr. H. J. Baker until 1876. In 1879 he established the business now (1907) conducted by Mrs Abrahams. Mr. Abrahams was a member of the local school committee, and was one of the founders of the fire brigade, of which he was lieutenant, until he retired after eleven years' service. As a member of the Oddfellows he held office as Past Provincial Grand Master. Mr. Abrahams died some time ago.
The late Mr. G. L. Abrahams.
The Waipawa County Council has jurisdiction over a stretch of country extending from Dannevirke on the south to Te Aute on the north, and from the Ruahine Range on the west to the boundary of the Patangata county on the east. The capital value of the county is £3,033,761. Rates, however, are levied on the unimproved value, which is £1,972,521. There is a general rate of ¾ in the pound over road board areas, and 1 ½d in the pound on out-lying districts. The council offices are situated in the Court-house at Waipawa, and the council meets on the first Wednesday in each month. Members for the year 1906: Messrs A. E. Jull (Chairman), A. W. Cook, C. R. Baines, O. Erickson, L. McKay, W. R. McLeod, G. E. Merrikin, H. M. Ries, and F. G. Cowper.
Councillor C. R. Baines.
Councillor Albert William Cook, J.P., who represents the Takapau riding on the Waipawa County Council, was first elected in 1892, and excepting the term 1902–04 has held a seat continuously since, and has attended every council meeting during that period. He was born in Oxfordshire, England, on the 22nd of April, 1866, and came to New Zealand as a lad. He was educated at public schools, and afterwards learned farming. For two years subsequently he was employed in a general store in Pahiatua, and in 1888 established a general provision store at Ashley-Clinton, which he has since successfully conducted. Mr. Cook has also a farm of 900 acres, which carries an average flock of nearly 2,000 sheep, and he also owns considerable property in Takapau. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and was a member of the local school committee for twelve years, the chief part of which time he was chairman. Mr. Cook is married, and has two sons.
Councillor Lachlan Mckay, who represents the Hampden riding on the Waipawa County Council, is further referred to as a sheep-farmer.
Mr. Martin Murray, J.P., was appointed clerk to the Waipawa County Council in the year 1901. He was born at the Thames, Auckland, in January, 1871, was educated at the Woodville public school, and afterwards settled near Woodville, and engaged in farming. In 1898 he was appointed road overseer to the Waipawa County Council, and three years later received his present appointment. Mr. Murray is agent for the Public Trust department in Waipawa. He takes a keen interest in the social life of the district, was for several years chairman of the library committee, and is a member of other local bodies. Mr. Murray is married, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. Andrew Gilmour, Engineer for the Waipawa County Council, is a native of Ireland. He came to New Zealand by the ship “Chili,” in the year 1862, landed at Dunedin, and was for some time on the gold-fields. He removed to the North Island during the native troubles, joined the 3rd Waikato Militia, and served through the Waikato war. Mr. Gilmour afterwards went to Hawke's Bay, and was for many years connected with the Napier breweries. For about eighteen months he kept the Pacific Hotel at Havelock, and after a few years at farming in the Seventy-Mile Bush, received his present appointment. He is owner of several properties in Hawke's Bay, and has a good farm of 615 acres in the Mangatoro Valley. Mr. Gilmour is also engineer to the Waipawa Road Board, the North Ruataniwha Road Board, the Takapau Road Board, and the Waipawa Town Board. He is married and has eight children.
Mr. Archibald McCormick, who represented the Woodville Riding in the Waipawa County Council, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in the year 1856. At the age of five years he came with his parents to New Zealand, and was educated at Napier. In 1883 he settled at Woodville, on a farm of 100 acres. Mr. McCormick is married and has seven sons.page 500
Mr. Frederick William Redward, formerly a member of the Waipawa County Council, held a seat in the council continuously for many years. He was born in the year 1831, at Portsea, Hampshire, England, where he was educated. In 1852 he sailed for Australia, by the ship “Kent,” and after spending about two years at Bendigo and other gold-fields, came to New Zealand, and found employment on a run at Te Ore Ore, in the Wairarapa. He was subsequently for a number of years on the Hon. J. D. Ormond's Walling-ford station, and then in conjunction with his two brothers, purchased a station; but the speculation was, however, unfortunate. Mr. Redward was next at Taupo, then conducted a farm at Havelock North for a year, and was afterwards for some years at Porangahau. In 1874 he settled at Norsewood, and conducted a butchery business till the year 1880, when he moved to Ormondville. He was a member of the school committee for some time and treasurer of the local Tent of Rechabites. Mr. Redward married a daughter of Mr. Mortensen, in 1875, and has seven sons and two daughters.
Waipawa District Hospital . This fine hospital was opened in the year 1880, and a new wing was added in 1895. The building, which is a handsome structure of wood, situated on a rise commanding a fine view of the surrounding country, is furnished with all the most modern medical appliances. There are twenty-eight beds in the medical ward, nine in the surgical ward, eight in the women's ward, and nine in the fever ward.
St. Patrick's Church, Waipawa, was established in 1874, by Father Regnier, For many years services were held in the district only once in three months, but as time went on, and population increased, more frequent services were held; and in the year 1880 the first resident priest was appointed. He erected the parish residence, and Father Dawson, who subsequently became priest in charge, built the present church. The church and presbytery stand on a section of one acre. The former is a substantial wooden building, with seating accommodation for about 270 persons, and possesses a good pipe organ. It has also a large metal church bell, weighing three and a half hundredweight, which was specially made for the church in Dublin, The presbytery is a handsome two-storeyed building, and contains seven rooms. The day school, situated in Church Street, is built on a section of three acres in extent, which was presented by Mr. Sydney Johnston, of Takapau. It is a wooden building, with accommodation for about 130 scholars, was opened in 1895, and has a roll number of about seventy pupils. The Waipawa parish of the Catholic Church is an extensive one, and includes not only St. Patrick's Church, but churches at Takapau, Ormondville, Waipukurau, and Wallingford. The day school and Sunday School are conducted by five sisters, and supervised by the resident priest.
The Rev. Father William Johnston was born on the 13th of July, 1870, in County Down, Ireland, and is the son of an officer in the Royal Irish Constabulary. He was educated at St. Patrick's school, in Maynooth, was ordained in March, 1897, and shortly afterwards came to page 501 New Zealand. For a time he assisted the resident priest at New Plymouth, later was appointed curate in the Cathedral parish, Wellington, and then became administrator of the Parish of Stratford. Eighteen months later Father Johnston was appointed to his present charge, in which he has done good work.
The Waipawa Brass Band was established about thirty years ago, and has a membership of twenty. It is equipped with complete brass instruments, including four cornets, three tenor horns, one flugel horn, three basses, one trombone, two baritones, one euphonium, one soprano cornet, and two drums. The officers are: Messrs J. Cosgrove (band-master), J. W. J. Reid (secretary). Regular and frequent practices are held, and the band holds an excellent reputation.
Mr. John Joseph Cosgrove was appointed Band-master of the Waipawa Brass Band in the year 1905. He first joined the band at twelve years of age, and has been more or less continuously connected with it ever since. Mr. Cosgrove successfully took part in the band contests at Wellington in 1901, at Wanganui in 1902, at Masterton in 1903, and at Woodville in 1904. He was born in Napier, on the 29th of February, 1872, and was educated at the public school and the Marist Brothers' school. He was then apprenticed to the paper-hanging and house-decorating trade, under Mr. C. Nash, of Waipawa, in whose employment he remained for thirteen years. Mr. Cosgrove afterwards went to Masterton, where he worked for Messrs Coindine and Whitaker for six months, and was subsequently employed by Mr. Albert Lawrence, of Woodville. Later, he returned to Waipawa, entered into partnership with Mr. T. Malloy, and has since conducted a successful business under the style of Messrs Cosgrove and Malloy.
Mr. J. J. Cosgrove.
Mr. William James Reid was appointed Secretary of the Waipawa Brass Band in October, 1905. He was born in Dunedin, in the year 1875, and was educated at the Invercargill public school. He afterwards learned the tailoring trade at Invercargill, where for many years he worked as a journeyman. In the year 1903 Mr. Reid settled in Waipawa, and started in business on his own account. Six months later he entered into partnership with Mr. A. Parkin, and the business has since been conducted under the style of Messrs Reid and Parkin.
Dr. J. L. Reed.
Todd, Alexander, M.D., L.R.C.S. (Edinburgh), Member of the British Medical Association and Brigade-Surgeon-Lieutenant-Colonel New Zealand Military Forces, “The Pines,” Waipawa. Dr. Todd is a son of the late Mr. William Todd, of County Tyrone, Ireland, was born near Castlederg, and educated at a private school at Omagh. He afterwards studied medicine, and obtained his diplomas in 1862 and 1863. Dr. Todd came to New Zealand in the year 1864 by the ship “Rangoon,” and landed at Napier. Shortly after his arrival he received the appointment of assistant surgeon to the Colonial Defence Force, Military Settlers, and Napier Militia, and at the same time was attached to the Imperial Forces as assistant surgeon to the 12th and 14th Regiments, then stationed at the Waipawa Stockade. Dr. Todd shortly afterwards began a practice in Waipawa. In 1869 he received the appointment of district coroner. He has now (1906) given up active practice, occasionally acting in consultations with other members of the profession. Dr. Todd is public vaccinator of the district, is president of the principal social clubs, and is a Master Mason, and one of the originators of Lodge Waipawa, and treasurer since its formation. Dr. Todd married Miss Arrow, in 1875, and has three daughters and one son.
Bank of New Zealand, Waipawa (Mr. W. G. Downes, Branch Manager).
Mr. Walter Gregory Downes, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Waipawa, is the youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas William Downes, formerly sheriff of the Province of Marlborough, and was born in Kensington, London, England. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the year 1857, and was educated at Dunedin, where he joined the service of the Bank of New South Wales in 1873. Three years later Mr. Downes joined the Bank of New Zealand as teller, and in 1884 was appointed manager of the branch at Waipukurau. Eleven years later he took charge of the present branch at Waipawa. Mr. Downes has at various times been a member of several local and public bodies, as a Freemason he is a Past Master, is Fellow of the Society of Accountants and Auditors of England, a life member of the Bankers' Institute, and a member of the committee of the Waipawa County Permanent Building and Investment Society, with which he has been connected since its inception in 1884.
McIntyre, James, Baker and Confectioner, Waipawa. Mr. McIntyre has been established in business for many years, and has a good connection with the residents of Waipawa and district. Three persons are employed in the shop and bake-house, and one man with the delivery cart. Mr. McIntyre is a native of Auckland. He learned the bakery trade with Mr. Ashmore, of Kaikora North, and Mr. Robertson, of Waipawa, and bought his present business in the year 1890. Mr. McIntyre keeps a good stock of groceries, and is also the mail contractor between Waipawa and Tikokino.
Reid and Parkin, Tailors and Outfitters, Waipawa. This business was established in the year 1903. The premises were specially built for the purpose, and consist of a twostoreyed wooden building. The first floor, and a portion of the ground floor, are used as workrooms, in which eight tradesmen are kept constantly employed. The whole of the forepart of the ground floor forms the front shop, and carries a large stock of tweeds, worsteds, serges, tailors' trimmings, and an excellent variety of mercery goods.
Commercial Hotel (William Pellow, proprietor), Waipawa. This hotel ws first established many years ago as the Settlers' Arms Hotel, was afterwards re-built, and has since been known under its present name. It is a fine two-storeyed wooden building, with a balcony, is well fitted up, and furnished throughout with excellent taste. It contains six sitting rooms, a large commercial room, a handsome billiard room, and two dining rooms, and there are also twentyfive comfortable bedrooms. The bar is stocked with the best wines and spirits, and an excellent table is kept. The Commercial Hotel is a popular place of stay for travellers and others.
Mr. William Pellow, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, was born on the 14th of November, 1854, in Pool, Cornwall, England, where he was educated. For some years afterwards he was employed as a miner, and in 1875 came to New Zealand. For nearly twenty years Mr. Pellow was employed in the Government railway service, and subsequently for some years acted as night watchman in Waipawa. He then became manager of an hotel at Patangata, was afterwards proprietor of the Te Aute hotel. and in August, 1900, acquired the Commercial Hotel. Mr. Pellow is married, and has four sons and six daughters.
Mr. and Mrs W. Pellow.
The Imperial Hotel (P. J. Griffin, proprietor), Waipawa. This hotel was conducted for many years by Mr. Limbrick, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1902. It is a large two-storeyed wooden building with a balcony, and is a valuable property, embracing, besides the hotel, two adjoining cottages and a large stable, and has been built on an excellent plan. The rooms are large and well lighted, furnished with excellent taste, and every precaution has been taken for escape in case of fire. The ground floor contains a dining room with accommodation for sixty guests, a conveniently-appointed commercial room, three comfortable sitting rooms, and a billiard room. The first floor contains about twenty comfortably-furnished bedrooms, and a bathroom with hot and cold water. An excellent table is kept, the tariff is moderate, and the bar is stocked with the best brands of wines, spirits, and cordials. Mr. and Mrs. Griffin personally superintend the management of the hotel, and are assisted by a competent staff of six persons.
Mr. Patrick Joseph Griffin, proprietor of the Imperial Hotel, was born in March, 1875, at Birrtown, King's County, Ireland, where he was educated. He afterwards learned the bakery trade, and emigrated to New Zealand, in October, 1899. He was employed for some time by Mr. E. Sullivan, of the Terminus Hotel, in Wellington, and also found employment in the “Thistle” and “Empire” Hotels. In 1902 he removed to Hawke's Bay, and became proprietor of the Imperial Hotel. Mr. Griffin takes an interest in the social affairs of the town, and is a liberal supporter of athletic sports. He is married, and has one son.
Wills, Thomas William, Boot and Shoe Importer, and Cycle Agent, Great North Road, Waipawa. This business, which has been established for some years, was acquired by the present proprietor in July, 1903. A large stock of imported foot-wear, and massey-Harris and Red Bird bicycles page 504 is carried. Mr. Wills was born at Pukehou, Hawke's Bay, on the 8th of April, 1879, and is a son of Mr. Thomas Wills, foreman on the late Archdeacon Williams' estate, at Te Aute. He was educated at Te Aute College, and brought up to sheep-farming. Mr. Wills subsequently entered commercial life as proprietor of his present business. He is a member of the local racing, sports, and football clubs, a member of the fire brigade, and a trustee of the local lodge of Foresters.
Britten, John, Butcher, Waipawa. Mr. Britten, who is an old colonist, was born in Wiltshire, England, in the year 1836. He came to New Zealand in 1856, by the ship “Westminister,” and obtained an engagement on Mr. Matthew's station, Palliser Bay, where he remained for two years. He was next employed on the Government survey in Wellington, where he was engaged in cutting a line from Kaiwarrawarra to Porirua Bay. After working for some time on street formation in Wellington, he removed to Napier in 1858, and was employed for four years on Mr. Collin's station “Tamumu,” now owned by Mr. Johnston. In 1862 Mr. Britten went to the newly-discovered gold fields in Otago, but not meeting with his expectations, he returned to Hawke's Bay, and started his present Hawke's Bay, and started his present business at Waipawa, where he has purchased some fine properties. Mr. Britten has taken no active part in political or social matters, but is a member of the local racing club. He is married, and has four daughters and one son.
Mr. J. Britten.
Abbotsford Station, Waipawa, was named after the late Mr. William Abbot, who took it up many years ago. It was afterwards held by the late Mr. James Collins, and then acquired by the late Mr. William Rathbone. “Abbotsford” consists of 7,300 acres of first-class hills, lime-stone-country. Some of the hills rise to a considerable height, and one, known as the Rabbit Hill, serves as a land mark for many miles around. The land is eminently suitable for agricultural and pastoral purposes, and will carryequal to two and a half sheep to the acre. The property is in a high state of improvement, is sub-divided into fifty paddocks and blocks, all permanently watered, and has a number of shelter plantations. A permanent flock numbering about 13,000, chiefly of the Lincoln breed, and about three hundred head of short-horn cattle are depastured. The homestead is pleasantly situated, and is surrounded by well laid out gardens, orchard, and lawns.
Mr. William Henry Rathbone, manager of “Abbotsford,” is the second son of the late Mr. William Rathbone, and was born at Waipawa on the 12th of December, 1871. He was educated at the Waipawa public school, and the Napier Boys' High School, and subsequently went to the Lincoln Agricultural College, Canterbury, where he remined for eighteen months. In 1892 he returned to “Abbotsford,” and a few years later took over the mangement of the property. Mr. Rathbone is a member of the Waipawa Road Board, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and as an Odd-fellow has taken all the degrees in the Abbotsford Lodge. He married the third daughter of the late Mr. James Shand, of Christchurch, in 1900, and has one son.
“Fairfield,” Onga Onga, the property of Mr. H. N. Watson, is the homestead block of the original Fairfield estate, which was first taken up by Mr. Fannin, and afterwards acquired by Mr. H. H. Bridge, who cut it up in the year 1900. Mr. Watson operates 2,566 acres of freehold land, all flat, which is admirably suited for agricultural purposes. Oats, wheat, turnips, and rape are cropped, the former yielding on an average fifty-five bushels to the acre. There are stud flocks on the property of Romney Marsh, English Leicester, and Border Leicester sheep. The winter flock comprises 4,000 sheep, of which 2,000 are breeding ewes, and the lambing in 1905 averaged 110 per cent. There is also a small pedigree herd of registered short-horn cattle. Draught horses are bred on the estate, and occasionally exhibited with considerable success.
Rathbone, Ernest George, Sheep-farmer, Waipawa. Mr. Rathbone is the third son of the late Mr. William Rathbone, and was born in Waipawa, on the 11th of September, 1873. He was educated at the local public school, and then proceeded to the Lincoln Agricultural College, in Canterbury, where for two years he studied theoretical and practical farming. He then returned to Waipawa, and for some years has helped in superintending the working of the Hampden, Tourere, and part of the Abbotsford runs. Mr. Rathbone is a member of the Waipawa racing, cricket, football, tennis, and golf clubs, and of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and was for some time a member of the Waipawa Fire Brigade and of the Waipawa Rifles.
Mr. E. G. Rathbone.
“Rotoparera,” Ruataniwha, the property of Mr. Harry T. F. Carlyon, is a portion of the original Fairfield estate, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1903. It is situated about six miles from Waipawa, on the Onga Onga Road, and is a freehold property of 764 acres, all flat land. About two and a-half sheep to the acre are depastured in the winter season, the breed being pure Romney-Marsh, and in addition there is a purebred stud flock of Southdowns. The property has carried 4,000 sheep in the summer season, while the lambing average in 1905 was over 100 per cent. About 200 acres are laid down with oats and rape, the former yielding an average of forty bushels to the acre. Many improvements have been effected, including the erection of a fine dwelling house, a wool-shed, fitted with four stands of Cooper's machines, driven by a Fairbank's engine, a granary, an implement shed, and necessary fencing. Another freehold property of 600 acres, at Takapau, is conducted by Mr. Carlyon, in conjunction with “Rotoparera.”
Mr. Harry Tredenham Fitzherbert Carlyon was born in Kent, England, in the year 1872, and is the son of Colonel T. F. Carlyon, of the 1st West Riding Regiment, Yorkshire. He was educated for the Army, but in 1893 came to New Zealand, and spent two years as a cadet on Gwavas station, the property of his cousin. Subsequently he took up land at Takapau, and afterwards bought the Highfield estate, Kirwee, Canterbury, where he resided for two years. He then sold out, and went for a trip to the Old Country. On his return to the Colony, he took up his present property. Mr. Carlyon is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, Farmers' Union, the Hawke's Bay Hunt Club, the Waipawa, Takapau, and Waipukurau Racing Clubs, and the Hawke's Bay and Napier social clubs. He married a daughter of Mr. T. H. Wilson, of Hazel Oak Park, Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, in October, 1896, and has two sons and one daughter.
“Waimarino,” Ruataniwha, the property of Messrs A. W. Skerman and A. J. Bodevin, is a freehold estate of 1,400 acres, all flat arable land. It was acquired by the present proprietors in February, 1901, and was formerly a portion of Mr. H. H. Bridge's Fairfield estate. The land is well suited for cropping oats, barley, rape, and turnips, and is used largely as a fattening ground for lambs, and also for the breeding of rams, The winter stock comprises 2,000 breeding ewes, and 600 dry sheep, including a Romney Marsh stud flock; the lambing averages about ninety-five per cent. There are also upwards of sixty head of short-horn cattle on the property. About £2,000 has been spent on “Waimarino” in improvements, which included the building of a modern dwelling house (supplied with hot and cold water), a septic tank, a grain shed, and wool shed, stock yards, and sheep yards, draught horse stable, hack stable, men's whare, and about four miles of fencing. Messrs Skerman and Bodevin also conduct Rawhiti station, at Puketapu, in conjunction with “Waimarino.” This is a freehold property of over 2,000 acres, on which are stocked 2,000 breeding ewes, 800 dry sheep, 200 head of bullocks, and about forty cows.
Mr. Arthur Webb Skerman was born in Waltham Abbey, Sussex, England, in the year 1862, and received his education at Bedford Grammar School, Bedfordshire. He came to New Zealand in 1877, accompanied by his parents, in the ship “Himalaya.” The family took up land in the Bunnythorpe district, on the line between Palmerston and Wanganui, where Mr. Skerman remained for five years, after which he farmed in the Pohangina district, and near Palmerston North. Mr. Skerman is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Farmers' Union, is chairman of directors of the Onga Onga Butter Factory (an industry he page 506 was largely instrumental in establishing), a member of the Waipawa, Waipukurau, and Napier Park Racing Clubs, the Hawke's Bay Hunt Club, is president of the Waipawa Tennis and Football Clubs, and the Onga Onga tennis, football, and sports clubs, a member of the Hawke's Bay, Manawatu, and Waipawa social clubs, and for nine years was a member of the committee of the Palmerston North Agricultural and Pastoral show. Mr. Skerman married Mrs. Bodevin in 1891, and has one daughter.
Mr. A. W. Skerman.