The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Southern Districts.…
The Southern Districts.
Greenmeadows . This township lies to the south-west of Napier, from which it is distant three miles, and is in the county and electoral district of Hawke's Bay. Mails are despatched and received twice daily to and from Napier, there is also telephone connection, and an hourly coach service between the township and Napier. The Napier Park Racing Club's fine course, covering ninety-five acres, is situated at Green-meadows, where meetings are held three times a year, in March June, and October. There are several orchards and vineries in the vicinity, and the wine made there is sold all over the colony. Green-meadows is largely composed of suburban residences of people engaged in business in Napier. There is a church, a post-office, two stores, one hotel, and a fine bowling green.
The Post Office, Greenmeadows, is conducted in the store of Mr. George Boggs. There is a telephone bureau, and a money order and savings bank department. Mails are despatched and received twice daily to and from Napier. Mr. George Boggs, who is further referred to as proprietor of the Post Office Store, is postmaster in charge.
Colwill Brothers (W. A. and E. J. P. Colwill), The People's Store, Greenmeadows. Established in the year 1892 by Mr. Charles Goddard, this business was acquired by the present proprietors in February, 1905. The building is of wood, two storeys in height, and is situated on the corner of Guppy's road and the main Taradale road. The shop is roomy and well-lighted, and large store and bulk rooms are situated at the rear; the stock carried includes general merchandise of all descriptions. A large trade is done in country produce, and there is also a wood and coal yard in connection with the business. Messrs Colwill Brothers run an express service between Taradale and Napier, and employ a special van for the removal of furniture and household goods.
Mr. William Arscott Colwill, of the firm of Colwill Brothers, was born in Bodmin, Cornwall, England, in 1875, and four years later accompanied his parents to New Zealand in the ship “Marvel,” landing in Auckland. After attending school in the Waikato, he removed to Hawke's Bay, and for fourteen years was employed by Mr. Henry Nesbit, of Napier. After two years' experience as manager of a provision store for Mr. Charles Thompson, of Napier, he aquired his present business. Mr. Colwill is a member of the Green-meadows Bowling Club, the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, a life member of the Napier City Band, and a member of the Napier Orchestral Society. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Fred Parsons, of Clive, in 1899, and has one son and two daughters.
Mr. Edward Job Pearce Colwill, of the firm of Colwill Brothers, was born in Auckland in the year 1879. After attending school in the Waikato and at Hastings, he was employed as a carter for many years by Napier merchants, and subsequently by Mr. Charles Goddard. Mr. Colwill, on account of his long experience of country trade, attends to all the outside work of the firm
Post Office Store (George Boggs, proprietor), Greenmeadows. This store was established in the year 1894, and acquired by the present proprietor in 1905. A large business is done in general merchandise and country produce, and the stock is varied and suitable for the requirements of the district. Mr. Boggs is the local agent for the United Insurance Company, the Weekly Press,” the Auckland “Weekly News,” the “Canterbury Times,” and the daily newspapers. He was born and educated in Napier, where he gained experience in his business. After a time spent in the employment of Mr. H. G. Ballantyne, he acquired his present business. Mr. Boggs is a member of the committee of the Greenmeadows Bowling Club.
Taradale is almost a suburb of Napier, from which it is only five miles distant, and with which it has hourly communication by coach. It is situated within the county and electoral district of Hawke's Bay. Mails are received and despatched twice daily, and there is a telephone office in the township. The chief industries are dairying, market gardening, and fruit farming, the products being disposed of in the Napier and Hastings markets. Taradale is all flat country, and possesses good roads for cycling and motoring. In the early days it was the scene of a notable engagement between the Maoris and the white settlers. Taradale has three churches, a public school with an average attendance of 150 pupils, a library, two fraternal societies, a rifle club, a glee club, an hotel, and several stores. The capital value of the township is £88,722, and the unimproved value is £52,141. Taradale is governed by a town board.
The Post Office at Taradale is conducted in the store of Mr. R. M. Glenny. There is also a telegraph office, a telephone bureau, and a money order and savings bank department. Mails are despatched and received twice daily to and from Napier, daily to Puketapu, and weekly to Kuripapango. Mr. Robert M. Glenny is officer-in-charge.
Taradale Hotel, corner of Meanee Road and Taradale Main Road. The original hostelry, which was built in the very early days, and had been considerably added to from time to time, was burnt down in May, 1904. The present commodious building was erected immediately after the fire, and presents an imposing appearance. Built of brick, two storeys in height, with a cement facing, and iron ladder fire escapes leading from every room upstairs, the present building is as safe from fire as the ingenuity of the contractor could make it. There are two entrances, one from each street, and the whole front is laid down with a concrete footpath. There is a comfortable commercial room, two private parlours, and the dining room is capable of seating thirty guests. On the first floor there are fourteen single and double bedrooms, tastefully furnished and scrupulously page 437 clean, a bathroom, and a lavatory. The cuisine is of a high standard, and the attendance is all that could be desired. Only the best and purest brands of wines, ales, liquors, and spirits are stocked. Taken altogether, the Taradale Hotel is one of the finest country hostelries in Hawke's Bay.
Mr. Arthur Fitzwilliam, sometime proprietor of the Taradale Hotel, took possession in October, 1903. He was born and educated in Christchurch, and is the son of Mr. John Fitzwilliam, an early settler in Canterbury. He was for many years engaged in the building trade in Nelson, and erected some of the most important buildings in that city. Mr. Fitzwilliam is a member of the Napier Park Racing Club, the Greenmeadows Bowling Club, and is vice-president of the Taradale Rifle Club. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Benjamin Crisp, one of the earliest colonists in Nelson, and has three sons.
McDonald, Ewen, Veterinary Shoeing Forge, General Blacksmith, and Carriage and Implement Works, Meanee Road, Taradale. This business was acquired by the present proprietor in April, 1904. Buggies, carts, drags, and other vehicles are manufactured, while the repairing of agricultural machinery is a speciality. There are two forges, and three men are constantly employed. Mr. McDonald was born in Lovell's Flat, Otago, in the year 1880, and received his education at the Hindon public school. He served a four years' apprenticeship with Messrs Bryce Brothers, of Milton, Otago, and afterwards worked at his trade in Dunedin, Gore, and Hindon. Mr. McDonald is a member of the Greenmeadows Bowling Club, and the Court Bruce Lodge of Foresters, Milton, Otago.
Mr. E. McDonald.
Waterhouse, William, J.P., Orchardist, Taradale and Papakura, Hawke's Bay. Mr. Waterhouse has two orchards, and attends to both with the assistance of his four sons, The one at Taradale is the original holding, on which the homestead is situated. Its area is eight and a half acres, and there are four hot-houses for grapes, and one for tomatoes, the total area under glass being nearly 4,000 square feet. Large quantities of table grapes are raised every year, and, besides supplying the local markets, Mr. Waterhouse forwards supplies to both the Wellington and Taranaki districts. The Papakura property comprises thirty acres, of which about five acres are occupied by a great variety of fruit trees, the major portion being cropped with oats, maize, potatoes, carrots, mangolds, melons, etc. Both places are in excellent order. Mr. Waterhouse was born in Burwash, Sussex, England, in the year 1843, where he had a large experience, and came to New Zealand in 1874, by the ship “Bebington.” landing at Napier. In the following year he established himself at Taradale. Mr. Waterhouse has been in various ways connected with local matters; he has been a member of the Taradale Town Board and School Committee, of which latter body he was secretary for two years, and chairman for one year, For a few years he was clerk to the Meanee Road Board, and for over fifteen years clerk to the Taradale River Board. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1893.
Mr. W. Waterhouse.
Post Office General Store (R. M. Glenny, proprietor), Taradale. This store was established in the year 1867, and is a large two-storeyed wooden building, containing a commodious shop and dwelling rooms. A large trade is carried on, and the stock comprises groceries, drapery, ironmongery, and general merchandise. The proprietor is agent for the South British Insurance Company and the weekly newspapers. Mr. Glenny is a native of Surrey, England. He came to New Zealand in 1883, and has since resided in Hawke's Bay. He is an Oddfellow of many years' standing.
Bennett, John Samuel, Sheep-farmer, Nga Taihira. Mr. Bennett was born at Puketapu in 1867, and is the eldest son of Mr. John Bennett, of Newstead. He was educated at the Napier High School and Wellington College, brought up to pastoral pursuits by his father, and latterly has been managing a property of 163 acres. Mr. Bennett grazes a flock of about 1,000 Lincoln sheep. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and is much interested in sporting affairs, including football, golf, etc. Mr. Bennett is a member of the famous page 438 Wharerangi Polo Club, which played against all New Zealand in the Champion Tournament and won the junior cup at Auckland, as well as running second for the Saville Cup at Hastings in the following year. He married in 1892, the daughter of Mr. Heslop, and has one son.
Mr. J. S. Bennett.
Tareha, Kurupo, Farmer, “Waiohiki,” Taradale. “Waiohiki,” is a freehold property of 500 acres of good grazing land, and is stocked with upwards of 400 head of cattle. The buildings include a fine modern residence of ten rooms, pleasantly situated on a rise overlooking the main road. “Pakowha,” Hastings, another property belonging to Mr. Tareha, is a dairy farm of ninety acres, accommodating upwards of seventy cows, and is worked on the shares principle. He also owns the Kaiwaka station, at Pohui, of 37,000 acres, which he was leased to Mr. G. P. Donnelly. Mr. Tareha was born in the Taradale district in the year 1871, and is a son of the late chief Tareha Moananui. He received his education at the Meanee Mission School and Te Aute College, and subsequently started farming. Mr. Tareha is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Napier Golf Club, and the Scinde Masonic Lodge, Napier No. 5, N.Z.C. In 1903 he won the New Zealand Golf Championship, and in 1905 annexed the Manawatu Championship, and is the owner of several medals, trophies, and cups, won in football, bicycling, boxing, and other athletic pastimes. During the Jubilee celebrations of 1897 Mr. Tareha went Home as a sergeant-major, and later, attended the Coronation ceremonies as captain of the Maori Contingent. He is the owner of four racehorses, and drives a six horse-power Wolseley motor car. He married a daughter of Mr. T. Brightwell, of Woodville, in 1898, and has two sons. Mrs. Tareha won the Hawke's Bay Golf Championship in 1902.
Mr. Kurupo Tareha.
Meanee is situated on the Tutaekuri river, one and a half miles from the coast, and five miles from Napier, with which it is connected by coach. The township has a post office, one hotel, public and private schools, a Roman Catholic Church, and a dairy factory Meanee is the head-quarters of the Roman Catholic Mission and Seminary, in the grounds of which vine culture and wine making are carried on. The surrounding districts are very rich in grazing lands, and at one time were subject to occasional floods, but large sums of money have been spent in raising the banks of the river, and now, this danger has been reduced to a minimum. There is splendid artesian water in the district that will rise to thirty feet above the surface of the ground in pipes, good cycling roads, and the drive from Napier is a very enjoyable one. Dairy farming, market gardening, and fruit growing are the chief industries.
The Meanee Public School is a large wooden building, divided into two class rooms. The annual examination, which is held in August, has always been most satisfactory in its results, and several of the scholars have taken advantage of secondary education by passing standard VI. before reaching a certain age, which has entitled them to two years' free schooling at the Napier High School. There are sixty-eight scholars on the roll, with an average attendance of fifty-six. Mr. Edward Bissell, junior, is head-master, and is assisted by Miss Agnes Christy.
Mr. Edward Bissell, junior, was born at Pokowhai, Clive, in the year 1875, and received his education and studied as a pupil teacher in his native town. Subsequently he acted as relieving teacher under the Hawke's Bay Education Board, studied at the Training School in Napier, and was later appointed head-master at Puketitiri, where he remained for thirteen months. Mr. Bissell, who holds a D2 certificate, entered upon his present duties in 1902. In athletics he has taken a prominent part; he was captain of the Hawke's Bay representative football team for five seasons, and played at different times for the Clive, Ahuriri, and Suburbs football clubs. He is a member of the Scinde Cricket Club, coach of the Huia Hockey Team (Meanee), a member of the Greenmeadows Bowling Club, and was a member of the Napier Guards. He is a member of the Court Redcliffe Lodge of Foresters, Taradale. Mr. Bissell married a daughter of the late Mr. R. M. Nicoll, of Meanee, in 1902.
Meanee Mission and Seminary . The Roman Catholic Mission at Meanee was founded in the year 1858, by the Very Rev. Father Regnier, S.M. Eight years previously he had with the assistance of the Rev. Father Lampila, S.M., and two lay brothers, Basil and Florentin, established the first Catholic mission in the Ahuriri Plains, at Poukawa, on the banks of the river Ngaruroro. The Maori chief of the district gave them a few acres of land, which the two lay brothers cultivated, and on which they built a hut or whare, and afterwards a somewhat more comfortable dwelling, in a position less exposed to the inundations of the river. In 1851 Father Lampila left Poukawa to establish a mission on the banks of the Upper Wanganui, and Father Regnier page 439 remained alone to carry on the work of the mission in a vast district which extended beyond the limits of the present province of Hawke's Bay. He had to travel long distances on foot, across rough country, without roads or bridges, with no other food but coarse Maori fare, and with no place of rest but a wretched whare. Nothing daunted, Father Regnier persevered in his good work for forty years, spreading the light of faith among the natives, and bringing the consolations of religion to the early settlers. In 1856 the missionaries, finding that—on account of hostilities between their friend Powore and another chief—their position at Poukawa had become very precarious, purchased from the Government a large tract of land at Meanee, on the left bank of the Tutackuri river, and on the 11th of May, 1858, after the death of Powore in a battle with Karaitiana, they transferred thither the mission and all its belongings, including the cottage, which continued to be the residence of the missionaries for more than twenty-five years. While the lay brothers were converting a wilderness into productive land. Father Regnier laboured for the spiritual welfare of the natives, and also of the Europeans, whose numbers were then fast increasing. Through his exertions land was bought and churches were built, at Napier in 1859, at Waipawa in 1874, at Hastings in 1881, and at Wairoa in 1882. These churches soon became centres of missionary districts, with resident priests, and all claim Father Regnier as their founder. At Meanee divine service was held for some years in the mission house, until in 1863 a small church was built, to which a transept was added in 1874. As the Catholic population gradually increased, it was found necessary, in 1892, when it reached the number of 500, to enlarge the church to its present form. Father Regnier also erected a school in Napier, in 1869, for native and half-caste girls, and another for Maori children at Meanee, in 1872. Owing to the difficulty, however, of recruiting Maori boys, the Meanee school became eventually the parish school, and since 1886 it has been under the direction of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The average attendance of day pupils is ninety, and the building, which now bears the name of St. Mary's College, has, besides, accommodation for about thirty boarders. Among the many improvements made by the lay brothers in the mission estate, is the cultivation of grape vines. Some samples of the Meanee Mission wine were sent, at the request of the French Consul, Comte D'Abbans, to the Paris Exposition in 1892, and were awarded a silver medal for excellence and purity. The local medical faculty frequently recommend the mission wine to their patients, and it is owing to its success that a considerable number of vineyards have been planted by other settlers in various parts of the district. In the year 1880 a large and commodious building was erected, which was intended to serve as a residence for the members of the mission, and as a retreat for members of the Society of Mary, who are incapacitated by age or infirmities. Here Father Regnier ended his days on the 29th of October, 1888. His remains rest in the cemetery at Taradale, under a monumental cross erected by his numerous friends of every denomination. Brother Basil, who had been the faithful companion of Father Regnier, and his principal co-operator in the foundation of the Meanee Mission and the promotion of its material prosperity, and who spent fifty-seven years laboring on the mission field in New Zealand, died on the 2nd of April, 1898, at the age of eightyfour. Mention must also be made of Father Michel, S.M., who had been a missionary in Fiji, and who worked for nearly twenty years as curate at Meanee, till his death in October, 1887. In 1884 the property of the mission was sold, with the exception of the buildings; about sixty acres of land was reserved for the wants of the establishment, and in 1890 the old mission house was destroyed, and in its place a large house was erected for the lay brothers.
The Seminary, In 1889 the districts entrusted to the Marist Fathers in New Zealand were canonically erected into a religious province, and the house of Meanee was made the Novitiate and Scholasticate; that is, a house of probation for those who wish to join the society, and of study for aspirants to the priesthood who have already completed their classical course of studies. The Very Rev. Dr. Pestre, S.M., who had been for many years professor of Theology in France, Ireland, and America, was appointed first Superior and Master of Novices. The classes opened in February, 1890, with three or four students, but the number gradually increased to fifteen or sixteen, and additions were made to the building in 1892 and 1896. The completed house presents an imposing appearance, and is a fine two-storeyed building with two long wings. On one side, on the ground floor, are situated the parlour, dining room, and kitchen, with other necessary offices; above these are bed-rooms, a small oratory, a dormitory, and bathrooms. On the ground floor of the left wing, and surrounded by a beautiful verandah, are the study and recreation halls, and above these are a large oratory, and another dormitory. The centre of the building is occupied by the professors' rooms. In front is a beautifully-laid-out flower garden, while on each side and behind are an orchard, a vegetable garden, and vineyard. The average number of students is fourteen or fifteen, and since the foundation of the institution, in 1890, twenty-six priests have been educated and ordained within its walls. page 440 Most of these are young New Zealanders, who received their classical training in St. Patrick's College, Wellington, and who are now engaged either as professors in their old Alma Mater, or assistant priests in various parishes of the Colony. Some French students, who have also been trained and ordained there, are now labouring as missionaries amongst the natives of the South Sea Islands. The course of studies comprises the usual subjects of a Catholic seminary, viz., Dogmatic and Moral Theology, Holy Scripture, Philosophy, Canon Law, Sacred Liturgy, Church History, Ecclesiastical Chant, and Sacred Eloquence; and other classes have been added in which the students continue the study of classics and the natural sciences. The present staff consists of the Rev. Dr. Kennedy, S.M., D.D., B.A., B.C.L., Superior and Manager, Professor of Holy Scripture, Sacred Eloquence, Plain Chant, and Natural Sciences; the Rev. L. Lezer, vice-Superior, Professor of Moral Theology, and Sacred Liturgy; the Rev. J. Martin, S.M., D.D., Professor of Dogmatic Theology and Canon Law; and the Rev. P. W. Tymons, S.M., Professor of Phillosophy and Church History.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Meanee, was founded by Father Regnier, and was originally built in 1863, the present fine structure taking its place in 1893. The church, which was built at a cost of £1,300, is of Gothic style, and is capable of seating 300 worshippers. Adjacent is the Convent of St. Joseph, originally intended for the education of Maori children, but afterwards changed into an establishment for the education of European children. It is presided over by the Rev. Mother Aloysius, and three sisters of the Order of St. Joseph, from Sydney. There is an attendance of 112 pupils, who can also receive instruction in the higher branches of education. The school is annually inspected by the Government inspector, whose reports are of a satisfactory character.
The Very Rev. Dean John Nicholas Binsfeld, sometime of St. Mary's Church, Meanee, is a native of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, studied at the Royal Grand Ducal Gymnasium, in that city, and was ordained at Treves in 1859. After ministering in France, England, Ireland, and America, he came to New Zealand in 1869, where he has laboured in several parts of the Colony. He took over the charge of St. Mary's in 1895, but subsequently retired, and has since resided in Napier.
Clive is a prosperous township in a thriving district, on the south side of the Ngaruroro river, six and a half miles southwest from Napier, and is connected by a bridge with the railway station at Farndon, on the opposite side of the river. It is situated in the county of Hawke's Bay, and is one of the earliest settlements of the province. In the early days trading boats called at East Clive, and before the frozen mutton industry was established many boiling-down factories carried on their operations in the district. Clive has at several times suffered from severe floods, notably the flood of 1897, in which ten men from Napier lost their lives in attempting to rescue the flooded-out settlers. To commemorate this deed of heroism a handsome monument has been erected on the Marine Parade, Napier. There is a large public school at Clive, one hotel, several churches, Oddfellows' and Foresters' Lodges, several athletic clubs, and a beautiful park twenty acres in extent. Dairy farming, market gardening, wool scouring and fellmongering are the chief industries of the district.
Fellmongery and Wool Scouring Works, Clive. Mr. J. B. Illingworth, the proprietor, established this business in the year 1890, since when it has grown into an important industry. About 200 bales of wool are treated annually, the business undertaken is chiefly on commission; although in 1905 Mr. Illingworth bought 100 bales on his own account, which he treated, and subquently disposed of at a good price in the London market. There are two artesian wells on the property, which give a plentiful supply of water to an up-to-date improved patent scouring box, in which the wool is washed; also a strainer, a reservoir, and a Taylor and Bremmer wool press.page 441
The works, which are situated on the banks of the Ngaruroro river, have a drying ground of half an acre of land.
Mr. John Blow Illingworth is a native of Halifax, Yorkshire, England. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Roslyn Castle,” arriving in Port Chalmers in 1871. He remained for six years in Dunedin, where he was employed as a wool classer by Messrs Murray, Roberts and Company, and other large wool brokers. He then, in conjunction with Mr. Andrew Hepburn, established wool scouring works and a fellmongery in Pleasant Valley, near Palmerston South. He subsequently sold out, however, and in 1876 settled in Hawke's Bay. Mr. Illingworth, as an expert, is engaged each season in classifying Messrs W. J. and A. F. Douglas' “Te Mahanga” and Lake station clips, which are the largest and most important in Hawke's Bay. He has been a member of the Clive School Committee, and has done much to promote the welfare of the district. Mr. Illingworth married a daughter of Mr. Argue, of Belfast, Ireland, and has, surviving, a family of two daughters, both of whom are married.
Tucker, R., and Company, Wool-Scourers and Fellmongers, Wha page 442 katu. Clive. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales, Napier. Telephone, 152, Hastings. This industry, situated near the Whakatu railway siding, was established by Mr. S. H. Knight, and was acquired by the present Company in June, 1901. Upwards of 1,000 bales of wool and several thousands of pelts are treated each season, and shipped to the London market. Situated on the premises is the largest artesian well in Hawke's Bay, which yields from 900 to 1,000 gallons a minute, and this flows into two large wash boxes. Hot water pipes are laid on to scouring tubs from a six horse-power Tangye boiler, and the plant is up to date in every respect. There is nearly an acre of flat drying ground adjoining the works. The wool is baled with a powerful Zealandia wool press.
Mr. Richard Tucker, of the firm of Messrs R. Tucker and Company, was born and educated in Auckland, and learned his present business in Hawke's Bay. He is an expert on everything appertaining to wool, and has been engaged on several occasions to classify the “Marac-kakaho” clip. Mr. Tucker is a member of the Havelock School Committee, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society.
Mr. Frederick Tucker, of the firm of Messrs R. Tucker and Company, is the son of the late Mr. Edward Tucker, an old colonist, who arrived in New Zealand in the barque “William Bryant” in 1841. He was educated in Auckland, and for many years afterwards was engaged in station work in Hawkes Bay. He is a member of the Mangateretere School Committee, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. Mr. Tucker married a daughter of Mr. Edward Howse, of Puketapu. This lady passed away in 1893, leaving a family of five sons and four daughter.
Oppenheimer, S., and Company, Sausage Casing Works, Clive (Charles F. Hansen, manager). Head Office, Pearl Street, New York, U.S.A. This business was established by Mr. John Rothe, of Wellington, in the year 1892. The runners are obtained from the North British and Tomoana Freezing Works, and the Napier Abattoirs, and after being treated are shipped in barrels to New York. The yearly output is about 120,000 Ibs, of easings. There are four artesian wells eighteen large vats in the works, and sixteen persons are employed during the season.
Mr. Charles Frederick Hansen was born in Denmark, in 1859, and spent his early manhood in seafaring life. He made his first trip to New Zealand in 1881, and for eight years afterwards was engaged in the coastal trade as second mate on Mr. J. H. Vautier's vessels. Mr. Hansen gained his experience in factory work with Mr. John Rothe, and in 1894 when the present company bought the plant, he was installed as manager of the works. He is a member of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and is a Freemason and Oddfellow of many years' standing. Mr. Hansen married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Krause, of Napier, in 1889, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. P. G. Thornton.
The Farndon Coopery, Clive, was established in the year 1880, by the present proprietor, Mr. C. H. Alley, who recognised the growing need for barrels by the various freezing and other companies in the district. The timber used in construction comes from Oringi, near Danne-virke, and is peculiarly suitable for the requirements of the trade. Barrels of all sizes are turned out as required, and the work is first class in quality. The machinery, which is up-to-date in every respect, includes a crozing and head-cutting machine, a cross-cut saw and stave joiner, and planing and hoop-flaring machines. The whole is driven by an eight horse-power Tangye engine, and the staff are capable of turning out 100 barrels a day. The coopery manufactures for the North British and Hawke's Bay Freezing Works, Messrs Nelson Brothers, and Messrs Bowron and Butcher.
Mr. Charles Henry Alley, proprietor of the Farndon Coopery, was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1846; came to New Zealand in the ship “Constance,” and arrived in Wellington in 1862. Subsequently he went to Hawke's Bay, where he was employed by Messrs Nelson Brothers, but afterwards left their employment in order to establish himself in business as a contractor, an occupation he followed for many years. After a time spent in Fardon as a timber merchant and coal dealer, he branched out in his present enterprise. Mr. Alley served in the Colonial Defence Force in 1864, under Major Whitmore and Captain Anderson, and in the volunteers under Captain Gordon, at the taking of the Omaranui pa in 1866. He has been a member of the Clive school and licensing committees and the road board. He married Miss Margaret Odlum, of Auck-land, in 1868, and has four sons and five daughters.
Mr. C. H. Alley.
Clifton Station, Cape Kidnappers, Clive, is the property of Captain T. E. Gordon, and is managed by his son, Mr. F. L. Gordon. The property is freehold, and consists of 13,314 acres of hilly and undulating country, the portion at Cape Kidnappers being chiefly gullies, ravines, and rough, broken country. “Clifton” carries 19,000 half-bred Romney-Marsh sheep, of which 10,500 are breeding ewes, and the lambing average is about eighty per cent. There are also 1,450 head of cattle, and upwards of 100 horses on the property. The wool clip, which averages about 400 bales, is shipped direct to the Home market, and the best prices are realised. There, are two homesteads on the estate, both modern buildings, one facing the sea, and the other on the banks of the Maraetotara river. Four generations of the Gordons have already resided at “Clifton.”
Mr. Frank L. Gordon, manager of Chifton station, was born in Napier, and received his education at the United Services College, Westward Ho, Devonshire, England. He returned to New Zealand in the year 1884, and took up his residence at “Clifton,” the property of his father. Mr. Gordon is a member of the Hastings Polo Club, the Hawke's Bay Jockey Clúb, and the Napier Park Racing Club, and has been a member of the Hawke's Bay County Council, the Clive River Board and Road Board, and the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Turner, of “Engsleigh,” Havelock, and has one son and one daughter.
Farndon Dairy Farm (Patterson, Mossman, and Company, proprietors; Mr. James S. Russell, manager), Clive. This property of 600 acres contains some of the best land in the district, is splendidly watered, and capable of raising enormous crops. Two hundred and fifty head of cattle are depastured, including eighty milking cows. The milking is done on the shares principle, and the product supplied daily to Messrs W. Stock and Company's creamery, Napier. There are also a number of sheep and horses on the property, grass being plentiful all the year round. About fifty acres are cropped annually, maize and barley doing exceedingly well, whilst a paddock of lucerne during the year 1906 was reaped three times. The farm is well fenced, and well managed, and is one of the best paying properties in the district. Situated on the property are several dwelling houses and substantial up-to-date outbuildings. The cow shed, which is well appointed, has thirty-six stalls.
Mr. James Scott Russell, manager of the Fardon Dairy Farm, entered upon his present duties in September, 1904. He was born in Auckland in the year 1868, and was educated in the Waikato. Subsequently he spent fourteen years on sheep stations in Hawke's Bay, where he gained experience in agricultural and pastoral matters. Mr. Russell is an energetic manager, and thoroughly competent to carry out the duties which he has undertaken.