The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Petane is six miles from Napier by road, and is a pleasant suburban district. It has a telephone office and daily mail service. Coaches run twice daily between the township and Napier. There is an hotel, a store and large stables, while the public school is two miles distant at Eskdale. Petane was seized by the Maoris in the early “sixties,” with the idea of attacking Napier. This plot, however, was frustrated by Major Fraser. Colonel Whitmore, and a force of 300 men. Dairy farming is the chief industry, whilst the township is the centre of several station districts.
Arnott, J. B., Post Office Store, Petane. Mr Arnott was born in the year 1858, in Scotland, where he was brought up to the tailoring business, and served his time with his father. He came to New Zealand in 1883, by the s.s. “Waihora,” and worked at his trade in Dunedin for nine years. He then removed to the North Island, and purchased the above store, which had been established about twenty years before. A good stock of groceries and general stores is kept on hand, and the post and telegraph office is conducted on the premises. Mr Arnott is an Oddfellow, and has been a member of the Hand and Heart Lodge for many years.
Milne, David, Settler, “Burnside,” Petane. Mr. Milne's homestead is situated about seven miles from Napier, and consists of fifteen acres, being part of the farm of which 785 acres are let to a tenant. The homestead contains fourteen dwelling rooms. Mr Milne is a native of Scotland, where he was born in the year 1859, and came with his parents to New Zealand by the ship “Gananoque.” He subsequently, in partnership with his father and brother, acquired a sheep run at Mohaka, where he lived for some time. The partnership was afterwards dissolved, and Mr. Milne then settled at Petane. In the year 1893 he married a daughter of the late Mr. George Bowman, a well-known Napier settler, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. D. Milne.