Mr. Richard Cock,
J.P., was elected Mayor of New Plymouth on the 23rd of April, 1903, and held office continuously until after the election in April, 1906, when he was not a candidate. Mr. Cock was born in 1851 in New Plymouth, and, like most Taranaki boys, received his early education at Crompton's private school. At the age of twelve, he joined Dr. Humphries, who owned a chemist's shop at first, but subsequently, in conjunction with his son, established, and successfully carried on for years a wine and spirit store. For fifteen years Mr. Cock served Messrs Humphries, and then started on his own account, by leasing a small shop in Brougham Street, where he created a successful business. Mr. Cock filled the position of chairman of the Harbour Board, and became a member of the Sinking Fund Commissioners, with
Major Parris and Mr. H. Weston as colleagues. He is a trustee of the New Plymouth Savings Bank, director of the New Plymouth Sash and Door Factory and Taranaki Building Society, trustee of the Recreation Grounds Board, president of the New Plymouth Bowling Club, and for ten years he was a member of the Borough Council, before he became Mayor in April, 1903. Mr. Cock was one of the founders of the Chamber of Commerce, its first vice-president, and subsequently its president. As a clerk of the scales and a steward of the Taranaki Jockey Club, he has given uniform satisfaction. Mr. Cock, together with Messrs Newton King and J. George, was one of the promoters of the Crown Dairy Company, whose operations extend as far as Woodville, and which is the largest exporter of butter in New Zealand. Mr. Cock married Miss Taylor, daughter of Mrs Noonan, and has two sons and one daughter.