Mr. William Bayly,
who was the fourth Mayor of New Plymouth, took office on the 21st of December, in the year 1881, and held it until the 17th of December, 1884. On the 15th of December,
1886, he again became Mayor, and held office till the 19th of December, 1888. During his term the waterworks, in which he took great interest, were completed. Mr. Bayly devoted so much attention to the finances of the borough that their readjustment led to a considerable saving. As a colonist, he did much in other ways to advance the welfare of the district. He was born in Devonshire, England, and came to New Plymouth with his parents by the ship “Amelia Thompson,” in 1841, and took part in the pioneer work of the settlement. On the breaking out of the native disturbances, Mr. Bayly joined the Taranaki militia, served throughout the war under Major Brown, was present at all the chief engagements, was wounded at the battle of Waireka, and carried the unextracted bullet until his death. For his services he received the New Zealand war medal. On the conclusion of the war, Mr. Bayly bought a farm at Stony River, and after a trip to England, in 1870, established himself as a farmer and grazier. During the troublesome time of Te Whiti's ploughing mania, between 1879 and 1881, Mr. Bayly was captain of the Okato Rifle Volunteers on the Irontier. His farm at Stony River contained about 710 acres; and he also had 1900 acres at Warea, 570 acres at Rahotu, and 306 acres at Waiwakaiho. Mr. Bayly was well known in the district, and was held in great esteem by his fellow citizens. He was a member of the old Provincial Council, and of the Taranaki County Council for several years, and was also a member of the Harbour Board for many years. He was also, president and vice-president of the Taranaki Jockey Club, and took a great interest in all athletic matters. Mr. Bayly was a shareholder in the Moturoa Freezing Works, to the success of which he largely contributed. He died on the 6th of July, 1902, leaving a widow, four daughters, and one son.