The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Under a Provincial Ordinance of the 28th of October, 1861, twenty-four acres of land were set apart for the purposes of a cemetery, which is now under the control of the Borough Council. There is a small mortuary chapel, and the grounds are prettily laid out in walks and flower borders. On the hill adjoining, and overlooking the flatter portion of the cemetery, there is a monument to the memory of the Rev. John Whiteley, who was murdered at White Cliffs by the Maoris in 1869; and also one commemorating the Gascoigne family, and other victims who lost their lives at Pukearuhe.
A third monument was erected by the 57th Regiment to the memory of comrades killed in the New Zealand campaign.