The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Former Members Of The House Of Representatives
Former Members Of The House Of Representatives.
Mr. Francis Ullathorne Gledhill was a Member of the House of Representatives for New Plymouth in 1854–5, and was member for Omata electorate in 1865. He was a native of Halifax, England, and entered into business in Taranaki as a merchant and auctioneer. In the early days of New Plymouth he served as a member of the Taranaki Provincial Council, and had a seat on the New Plymouth Town Board. Mr. Gledhill died some years ago.
Mr. Thomas King sat as member for Grey and Bell in the House of Representatives in 1854–5, and again in 1860. He was a native of London, and after coming to New Zealand by the ship “William Bryan,” in March, 1841, he applied himself to farming. Subsequently, Mr. King became the first manager of the Bank of New Zealand in New Plymouth, and held the position for a number of years. He became chairman of the New Plymouth Harbour Board, and was prominently interested in most of the financial companies that were engaged in business in the province. Mr. King, who died about the year 1891, was the father of Mr. Newton King, Mr. Henry King, and Dr. Truby King, and Mrs F. W. Marchant, of Timaru.
Mr. William Morgan Crompton represented the Omata electorate in the House of Representatives, in the years 1854–5. He arrived in New Zealand in 1851, and commenced farming in the Omata district, where he also carried on work as a school teacher. Mr. Crompton took a keen interest in the welfare of his district, with a special reference to the young. He ultimately became inspector of schools for the Taranaki district, occupied the position for some years during the eighties, and died in the early nineties.
Mr. Christopher William Richmond sat as a Member of the House of Representatives for New Plymouth from the year 1856 to 1861. He became better known as Mr. Justice Richmond, and is fully referred to on page 67 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand, as a Minister who held office from June, 1856, until July, 1861, and on page 469, as a Judge of the Supreme Court.
Mr. John Lewthwaite represented the constituency of Grey and Bell in the year 1856. He was born in Halifax, England, and having, in 1841, arrived in the colony, he became a merchant. He was a man of great enterprise, and started a good many businesses in Taranaki. Mr. Lewthwaite is well remembered as the inventor of a railway ticket-stamping machine, and he also invented and patented a floating breakwater.
Mr. Alfred William East was returned to the House of Representatives as member for Omata in 1856. He was a settler, who took up land in that district, but he left Taranaki on the outbreak of the Maori war.
The Hon. James Crowe Richmond sat as a member of the House of Representatives for Omata from the year 1860 to 1864, and for the Grey and Bell constituency, from 1866 to 1870. He is referred to on page 69 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand, as having been a member of the Weld Ministry in 1865, and of the Stafford Ministry from 1865 to 1869; and a good likeness, and another biographical sketch of his life, appear on page 29 of the Nelson volume.
Sir Harry Albert Atkinson was for many years a member of the House of Representatives for Taranaki constituencies. From 1861 to 1865 he represented the Grey and Bell electorate; in 1867–8, New Plymouth; and from 1873 to 1891, he represented Egmont. Sir Harry is further referred to as a former member of the Legislative Council; and biographical notices of much greater length appear at pages 62, 63, and 100 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Captain William Cutfield King represented the Grey and Bell constituency in the House of Representatives in 1861. He was the only son of Captain Henry King, the first Commissioner of Taranaki, and came to the colony as a lad. He became a farmer on a large scale, and on the outbreak of the Maori war, he entered active service, and held a commission in the volunteers. He lost his life in 1861, under very tragic circumstances. He had been to New Plymouth, and on his return to his estate, about a mile and a-half out of the town, was shot by the Maoris. It is stated that the tragedy was witnessed from Marsland Hill, New Plymouth; Captain King was seen riding, with the Maoris in pursuit, and the eye-witnesses also saw him falling dead on his own property. The distance and the circumstances were such that those who saw what was happening could do nothing to avert the tragedy.
Mr. Isaac Newton Watt sat for New Plymouth in the House of Representatives in the year 1862. He was afterwards appointed Resident Magistrate at the Bluff, whence he was transferred to Dunedin, in 1868, as Sheriff of the Supreme Court, Resident Magistrate, and Coroner. Mr. Watt retired on a pension in the year 1880, and died in Dunedin some years ago.
Mr. Henry Hanson Turton was closely identified with Taranaki in the early days, and served as a member of the House of Representatives for New Plymouth in 1863. He arrived in New Plymouth in 1844, as the Rev. H. H. Turton, in charge of the Wesleyan mission, and continued in that connection till his retirement from the church in 1860. Mr. Turton was a man of marked ability, and was a great authority on Maori matters. His services were requisitioned by the Government to write on the early days of the colony. Mr. Turton afterwards went into business as a house and general commission agent. His sons have been well known in the colony, in various public positions.
Mr. Henry Sewell sat as representative of New Plymouth in the House of Representatives in 1865. He was a prominent politician, and is referred to on page 57 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand, as a past Premier of the colony; on page 254, as a former member of the Legislative Council; and on page 1496, as a member of the Executive Council of the colony before the establishment of responsible government. A further sketch of Mr. Sewell's life appears also at page 92 of the Canterbury volume of this work.
Major Sir John Larkins Cheese Richardson was a member of the House of Representatives for New Plymouth in the year 1866. He is referred to as a former member of the Government, on page 69 of the first volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand, and as an ex-Speaker of the Legislative Council, on page 99 of the same volume. At page 36 of the Otago volume there is an excellent portrait of Sir John Richardson, who is there referred to as the third Superintendent of the Province of Otago; and he is also further referred to at page 78 and page 85 of the same volume—in the first instance as a member of the Legislative Council, and in the second as a member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. Arthur Samuel Atkinson sat in the House of Representatives for the Omata constituency in the years 1866–7. He was one of the early settlers in New Plymouth, but removed, in 1867, to Nelson, where he practised his profession as a member of the firm of Fell and Atkinson, barristers and solicitors. Mr. Atkinson is further referred to at page 81 of the Nelson volume of this work.
Mr. Thomas Kelly, J.P., was Member of the House of Representatives for the Town of New Plymouth from 1869 to 1881, and for New Plymouth from 1882 to 1884. He is a farmer at Bell Block, and is referred to in another paragraph as a member of the Legislative Council.
Mr. Frederick Alonzo Carrington sat for Omata in the House of Representatives in the year 1870. He was also member for Grey and Bell from 1871 to 1879 inclusive, and then retired from Parliamentary life. Mr. Carrington is further referred to as the last Superintendent of the province of Taranaki.
The Hon William Gisborne sat for Egmont in the House of Representatives in 1871–72. He was a prominent politician, and held office as Colonial Secretary in Sir William Fox's third Ministry, from July, 1869, till September, 1872; and he was, also, for a few months, a member of Sir George Grey's Government in 1879. Mr. Gisborne is further referred to at page 71 of the Wellington volume of this work, and also at page 402 of the Nelson volume. He inherited property in England, where he died a few years ago. He wrote several works concerning the public men and public affairs of New Zealand.
Mr. George Albert Marchant, who represented the electorate of Taranaki, in the years 1887–90, was born in London, England, in 1849. He was brought up to a commercial life, and came to New Zealand in 1872. After spending several years in the Patea district, he settled at Cardiff, near Stratford, where he has been farming since 1881, and is one of the oldest settlers in the district. Mr. Marchant has served on the Patea West Road Board, and the New Plymouth Harbour Board, and is now (1906) chairman of the Stratford County Council. In 1878, he married a daughter of Mr. William Foreman, of Alton, Taranaki, and has six sons.
Mr. Felix McGuire, J.P., represented the Egmont constituency from 1891 to 1896, and Hawera in 1897–1902. He was born in the year 1847, in County Fermanagh, Ireland, where he was educated, and arrived in Australia in 1863. Shortly afterwards Mr. McGuire came to New Zealand and served throughout the Waikato campaign. Subsequently, he went to the West Coast diggings. During the Taranaki campaign, he joined a cavalry company at Wanganui, and served in the engagements against Titikowarn, but was soon afterwards transferred to the commissariat department. Mr. McGuire was mentioned in despatches, and received a commission as lieutenant. On leaving the service he commenced business as a general storekeeper, in Patea, where he continued for several years. Mr. McGuire then removed to Hawera, and in the year 1882 went to Auckland, where he remained for three years, and subsequently returned to Taranaki. In 1887, he contested a seat against the late Sir Harry Atkinson, but was defeated. He was presented by his supporters with a silver salver, and other articles of silver plate. In 1891, he was returned for Egmont, and was afterwards reelected three times. Subsequently, when the Eltham district was cut out of the Hawera electorate, the electors of Eltham presented Mr. McGuire with an illuminated address, in recognition of his services as member. He has been a Justice of the Peace for many years. Mr. McGuire was a member for South Taranaki in the Taranaki Provincial Council until the abolition of page 48 the provinces. He was afterwards for some time chairman of the Patea County Council, and was the first Mayor of Hawera. On his retirement from the Mayorship of Hawera, in 1882, he was presented with an illuminated address, and received a similar presentation when he retired from the captaincy of the Hawera Rifles. Mr. McGuire resides at Mount Royal, near Okalawa, and farms on an extensive scale. He married a daughter of the late Mr. J. Quin, of Wanganui, in 1868, and has, surviving, four sons and four daughters.
Mr. George Hutchison was a member of the House of Representatives from 1891 to 1896, and represented Waitotara during the first three years, and Patea during the last three years of the period. He practised as a barrister and solicitor, first at Wanganui, and latterly in Wellington. At the close of the war in the Transvaal, Mr. Hutchison left New Zealand to settle in South Africa; but he afterwards returned to the colony, and is now (1906) practising his profession in Auckland.
Mr. Henry Brown, J.P., represented Taranaki in the House of Representatives from December, 1896, to the same month in 1899. He was born in 1842, in Lincolnshire, England, and arrived in New Plymouth in March, 1859. Mr. Brown settled in the country, and during the Maori disturbances he served in the volunteers for about four years, and received the New Zealand war medal He was interested in the timber trade in the neighbourhood of New Plymouth for about ten years, and was one of the pioneers of Inglewood, where he established his mill in 1877. For many years Mr. Brown was chairman of the Inglewood Town Board, and for about eight years was a member of the Taranaki County Council. In 1867, he married a daughter of the late Mr. John Brooking, of New Plymouth, and has one son and one daughter.