The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Patea is the name of the southern port of Taranaki, and also a river, which rises in Mount Egmont flows through the borough of Stratford, and after a somewhat tortuous course, discharges into the South Taranaki Bight, a short distance to the south of the borough of Patea. The town occupies a plateau, which is approached by a bridge over the Patea river, and a gentle rise. It is pleasantly situated, and a striking feature in fine weather is the beautiful snowcapped cone of Mount Egmont, which is directly to the north-west of the settlement. Patea is part of the Carlyle survey district of the Taranaki land district, and is the county town. The Patea railway station, which stands on the east bank of the Patea river, is 185 miles from Wellington, sixty-six south-east of New Plymouth, and eighteen miles from Hawera. Its height above sea level is only ten feet. Patea is governed by a local Borough Council, and is the headquarters of the Patea Harbour Board, which has the control of the port. The Council Chambers and Public Library stand in Oxford Street. Like New Plymouth, the municipality has been enterprising enough to arrange for a supply of electric light and power, for public and private purposes in the district. The motive power is derived from the Kaikura stream, and at a point about three miles to the north of the borough. The town has a public domain of sixty acres in extent. Patea has a racing club, a horticultural society, a public hospital, and a brass band. The local newspaper, the Patea County Press, is published thrice a week. There is a local courthouse and police station, and a post and telegraph office with postal exchange, with twenty-nine subscribers. The Government Agricultural Department has a grader and an inspector of meat stationed at Patea, which has modern butter freezing works, meat works, and two brick factories. The professions are represented by a medical practitioner, several solicitors, and a resident surgeon dentist. There is a local corps of Rifle Volunteers. The Banks of Australasia, New Zealand and New South Wales are represented in the town. There are Anglican, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and Methodist churches, and there is also a good District High School in the borough.
Patea was constituted a borough in the year 1877, and has a municipal area of three miles and a-half long by two miles wide. The rateable value of property amounts to £7000, and the capital value is £112,000. A general rate of 1s 9d in the pound, a bridge rate of 4⅜d, and a water rate of 1¾d are levied. The revenue of the borough for the year 1905 was, including electric light, £2500. There are seven miles of streets, most of which are formed. The Borough Council owns considerable reserves in the town, and these, together with the education reserves, and the property of the Rhodes estate, form a large portion of the land in the borough. The municipal offices are in Oxford Street, in a wood and iron building, which contains a council chamber, a town clerk's office and public office, a reading room and library. The Volunteer Fire Brigade station is situated in Egmont Street, and is equipped with an engine and hose reel. Water is supplied from a reservoir, which stands on a hill in the centre of the borough, and is laid on throughout the centre of the town. A domain of sixty acres is controlled by a local board. The cemetery is about half-a-mile distant from the centre of the town, and consists of a reserve of fifty acres. Drainage is carried out by surface drains only, but this method is effective, owing to the height of the borough above the Patea river. The borough is lighted with electric light, which was installed in April, 1901. The power-house is situated about four miles north-west of the town. Water is derived from the Kaikura or Honeyfield Creek, and a dam of about eight acres in extent has been constructed to conserve the supply. There is a good fall, which drives a Brown-Bouverie alternator, 300 volt, 50-cycle generator. The current is led into the town, where it is transformed at various places to 100 volts. Electricity is supplied on three systems; namely, contract, assessment, and metre. In 1906 there were 100 consumers. Members of the Council for 1906: Mr. G. Williams (Mayor), and Messrs Rossiter, J. K. Mitchell, A. M. Howitt, A. F. Spooner, C. A. Larcombe, H. O. Clarke, J. J. Holtham, A. Christensen, and J. A. McKenna. Mr. R. W. H. Hamerton is Town Clerk and Treasurer, and Mr. H. Priestley, Electrical Engineer.
Mr. G. Williams, Mayor of Patea.
Councillor Herbert Onslow Clarke was Mayor of the Borough of Hawera from the year 1897 until his resignation in December, 1905. He was born in London, England, in the year 1847, is a son of the late Mr. William Clarke, solicitor; was educated at a private school, and at King's College, London, and practised as a solicitor in London for about fifteen years. In 1888 he came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Arawa,” settled in Akaroa, and was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand. He practised in Akaroa for about four years, in partnership with Mr. C. M. Henning. During his residence at Akaroa he was elected mayor four times. In 1895 he settled in Patea, and was, in the following year, appointed Town Clerk, but relinquished the appointment in 1897, on his election to the mayoral office. He was at one time chairman of the Patea District Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and Patea Cemetery Board. Mr. Clarke is further referred to as a solicitor.
Councillor H. O. Clarke.
Councillor Adolph Christensen, who is a member of the Patea Borough Council, was born in Denmark in the year 1874, and is the son of Mr. Theodor Christensen, manager of a tobacco and cigar factory in Copenhagen. He was educated in the Danish capital, and came to New Zealand in 1889. After being two years in the employment of Mr. O. W. Oldham, he was appointed manager of the Patea fellmongery, and held the position until he acquired the business on his own account. In 1887 Mr. Christensen married Miss Larsen, daughter of a farmer in Denmark, and has two sons.
Councillor John Joseph Holtham was elected a member of the Patea Borough Council in January, 1906. He was born in the year 1870, in Patea, where he was educated, and learned the trade of a tailor. Mr. Holtham first began business on his own account in 1893, but three years later removed to Wanganui, where he gained further experience at his trade during a period of six years, before returning to Patea. He was for one year a member of the Patea school committee; and as a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Kilwinning, New Zealand Constitution. In 1896, Mr. Holtham married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Atkins, of Patea and Wanganui, and has one son. He is further referred to as a tailor.
Councillor Alexander Mackay Howitt, who holds a seat on the Patea Borough Council, is a well-known business man, and is further referred to as a general storekeeper, tea merchant, baker and confectioner.
Councillor Charles Albert Larcombe, who has been a member of the Patea Borough Council for many years, was born at Bath, England, in 1861. He is the son of Mr. Benjamin Larcombe, who brought his family to New Zealand in the ship “British Empire” in 1865, when he landed in Lyttleton; but afterwards settled on the West Coast goldfields. Mr. Larcombe was educated at Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia, and at Ahaura, West Coast; learned his trade as a boot and shoemaker at Dunganville, West Coast, and followed it in Canterbury. He first entered into business on his own account at Waikari, North Canterbury, and was subsequently at Dunganville on the West Coast. In 1890 Mr. Larcombe removed to Patea, where he has been successful. He is a member of the Patea Bowling Club, and of the Masonic Lodge, Patea. In 1891 Mr. Larcombe married a daughter of Mr. Aaron Pethybridge, of Greymouth, and has one son and one daughter.
Councillor C. A. Larcombe.
Councillor John King Mitchell has been a member of the Patea Borough Council since the year 1902. He was born in 1865, in Manchester, England, and was educated in Glasgow, where he was brought up to mercantile life. After some years' experience, Mr. Mitchell came to New Zealand, and landed in Auckland in 1886. He then removed to Wellington, and went thence to Patea. For eleven years Mr. Mitchell was secretary of the Western Packing and Canning Company, and began business on his own account as an estate agent, in 1901. In 1894 Mr. Mitchell married a daughter of the late Mr. Rupert Jacombe, of Patea, and has one son and one daughter. He is further referred to as a land, estate, commission, and shipping agent.
Councillor William Rossiter, of the Patea Borough Council, was born in Torquay, Devonshire. England, in 1839, is a son of Mr. Fred Rossiter, butcher of these parts, was educated in his native county, and learned his trade with his father. In 1859 he came to New Zealand with his parents, by the ship “Minerva,” and, after some experience at Gabriel's Gully, and other goldfields, he started business for himself, as a butcher, in Victoria Street, Christchurch, in 1864. Twelve years later he settled on land in the Malvern Hills district, and, like many others before him, lost at farming what he had gained as a tradesman. On returning to Christchurch, he went into business again, and about six years later left for the North Island, where he established himself in business at Patea in 1894. In the following year Mr. Rossiter successfully contested one of the seats of the borough, and has proved himself a good representative. He is a member of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Domain Board; and has urged the establishment of cool chambers for the storage of butter and other produce. Before leaving page 258 the Old Land Mr. Rossiter was a member of one of the first volunteer corps formed in England—the No. 1 South Devon and Exeter Rifles—in 1855, and in Christchurch he joined the Crosbie Ward No. 1 Company of Volunteers. In 1865 Mr. Rossiter married Miss Smith, of Yorkshire, England, and has four daughters and two sons.
Councillor W. Rossiter.
Councillor Arthur Frederick Spooner, who has held a seat on the Patea Borough Council since about 1897, was born in the year 1864, in Surrey, England, where he went to school. He was about seven years in a law office, and afterwards followed farming and nursery work. In August, 1890, he arrived in Wellington, was for a short time at Otakeho, and for a year afterwards he was employed as a gardener by Mr. Lysaght, at Mokoia. In January, 1892, he removed to Patea, and was employed by Messrs Murgatroyd Brothers, fellmongers, till 1904, when the works were bought by Mr. A. Christensen, by whom he is still (1906) employed. Mr. Spooner has taken an interest in local affairs, and has served as captain and secretary of the Fire Brigade. As a Druid, he is secretary for Star of Egmont Lodge, in which he has passed the chairs. He is a member of the Patea Brass Band, for a number of years he has acted as organist of the Anglican church, and is a member of the Patea Chamber of Commerce. In 1896 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Richard Prouse, of Whenuakura, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. Robert William Holden Hamerton, Town Clerk of Patea, is a son of Mr. Thomas Hamerton, senior proprietor of the Inglewood Record. He was educated at New Plymouth, the Patea High School, and Wellington College, and he was afterwards a reporter on the staff of his father's paper. He subsequently accepted a clerkship in the office of the Wellington City Council, where he acquired much useful experience. Mr. Hamerton then returned to Patea, and for nearly, three years studied law with his uncle, Mr. Gervase D. Hamerton; after that he was appointed to his present position, having resigned his seat as a councillor to apply for the appointment. Mr. Hamerton has also been a member of the Domain Board, Cemetery Board, and Hospital Board. He is a member and a former player of the Patea Football Club.
Mr. Horace Priestley was appointed Mechanical and Electrical Engineer in charge of the Patea Municipal Electric Light Works in the year 1905. He was born in 1862 at Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey, England, was educated in the Old Country, and studied for his profession as an electrical engineer for five years. In 1884 Mr. Priestley went to Queensland, Australia. He was employed on the installation of an electrical plant at the Parliamentary Buildings, Brisbane, the first plant of its kind installed in Queensland, and, later, at the erection of a plant at Mount Morgan. In 1890 Mr. Priestley came to New Zealand, and was employed in electrical work for some time, and was afterwards engaged in the locomotive department of Government railways till the year 1900. He then left the public service and was employed by Mr. J. G. White in erecting electrical plant in Auckland, and was subsequently employed in connection with installations at Dunedin, Wellington, and Christchurch, before accepting his present position. Mr. Priestley has been a Freemason since 1886, and since settling in the Patea district has affiliated with the local Lodge. In 1884 he married a daughter of Mr. William Henry, Whitechurch, of Charters Towers, Queensland, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. William Clinkard Glenny, who has for a number of years been a member of the Patea Fire Brigade, was appointed captain in the year 1903. He was born in 1877, at Onehunga, Auckland, and was educated at Onehunga and in the Waikato. Mr. Glenny has had experience in the management of horses since his early days. In 1893 he was employed in the Patea stables, where he worked for eighteen months before acquiring the business on his own account. Mr. Glenny is a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters. In 1903 he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Penn, of Patea, and has one daughter. He is further referred to as a livery stable proprietor and coal merchant.
Mr. Robert Albert Adams, who was a member of the Patea Borough Council from its inception for many years, and who occupied the mayoral chair from 1883 to 1887 inclusive, and again in; 1893, was born in the year 1842 in the Vale of Clwyd, North Wales, England. He was a son of the Rev. Edward Adams, who was still living in that district in 1898 at the age of ninety years. Mr. Adams was educated in Flintshire, and was apprenticed to the drapery business in Liverpool. In 1862 he went to Melbourne, Australia, and in the same year crossed over to New Zealand. After spending a year on the Otago goldfields, he went to Auckland, and entered the ranks of the Waikato militia. He took part in several skirmishes, and was at the taking of Orakau. He then took up land in the Waikato, but soon afterwards found his way to Canterbury. By 1868 Mr. Adams was again in the North Island with the Armed Constabulary, and took part in the fights at Nukumaru and other places, during the Taranaki war. In the year 1874 he started in business in Patea, and conducted a large business for many years, and at different times had branches in various towns on the coast. For some time before the borough page 259 of Patea was formed, Mr. Adams was a member of the Town Board. He was the third Mayor, and held that office for six years consecutively, and for one year after an interval. Mr. Adams was for a number of years a member of the Patea Harbour Board, and was on the Board during the continuance of the first improvement scheme in 1877–88. For about eight years he was chairman of the school committee, was a member of the Wanganui Education Board; and for about the same length of time was chairman of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. When the County Council relinquished control of the hospital, Mr. Adams called a meeting of the townspeople, and got a committee appointed to carry it on by public subscription, until it was undertaken, two years later, by the newly formed Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He was also chairman of directors of the Hurleyville Dairy Factory Company, Limited, and in a variety of ways worked hard in the interests of Patea. Mr. Adams was a Freemason, and was made a Justice of the Peace in 1883. In 1884 he married a daughter of Mr. Daniel Smith, of Patea, and had one daughter and three sons. Mr. Adams died in November, 1904.
Mr. William Cowern, J.P., who was Mayor of Patea for three years in succession, was a well known land and financial agent in Patea for nearly a quarter of a century. He is further referred to as a land and financial agent now in business in Hawera.
Mr. John Gibson was Mayor of the borough of Patea in the year 1888. He was born in 1841, in Chester, England, where he was educated, and brought up to mercantile life in Liverpool. In the year 1860 he came to New Zealand, and landed in Wellington. At first Mr. Gibson settled in the Rangitikei district, and commenced farming; but at the outbreak of the Taranaki war, just after Major Von Tempsky was killed at Te-Ngutu-o-te-Manu, he removed to Taranaki to take charge of one of Messrs D. Peat and Lewis' commissariat contract stores. Before the colonial forces were withdrawn from Taranaki Mr. Gibson began business as a storekeeper in Patea. This business he conducted on his own account till the year 1905, when a limited company was formed of the Patea and Hawera warehouses, and the management taken over by his sons, with Mr. Gibson as governing director. Besides being Mayor of Patea and a member of the Borough Council. Mr. Gibson has been chairman of the Patea Harbour Board, and a member of the local road boards. In 1872 he married the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Daniel McGregor, an old colonist of Wanganui. Mr. and Mrs Gibson have four sons and seven daughters.
Mr. George Francis Sherwood, who was first Mayor of Patea, and who held the position for several years, began life in the British Navy, but while yet a young man he spent some years on the Australian goldfields. On coming to New Zealand in the sixties, he settled in Wanganui, and afterwards at Patea, where he entered into business as a watchmaker. In his mayoral capacity he laid the foundation stone of the Patea breakwater, and turned the first sod of the Patea railway. On one occasion he stood for the Egmont seat in the House of Representatives. Some years ago Mr. Sherwood left the colony, and resided in Kensington, London, England, until his death, which occurred in December 1895.
The Late Mr. G. F. Sherwood.
Mr W. J. Gibbons.
Mr. John Herbert, who occupied a seat on the Borough Council of Patea, was born in London, England, in the year 1838, was educated at the British School, James Street, Buckinghamgate, Westminster, and apprenticed to the tailoring trade. He came to New Zealand in 1880, b the ship “Western Monarch,” remained in Wellington a few months, and then removed to Patea, where for a short time he was employed by the late Mr. R. A. Adams, the well-known draper and clothier. In 1881 he established himself in business in Patea, and in 1887, having been fairly successful, he went into farming at Woodville. A year later, however he decided to return to his old business pursuits in Patea, but five years after that again, he bought a farm at Hurleyville, where he resided for three years. On returning for the second time to Patea, in 1896, he left his nephew in charge of the farm, which is well stocked, and is 168 acres in extent. Mr. Herbert is a member of the Patea Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and a member of the Patea Bowling Club, in which he ranks as a first class player. In 1870 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Walkden, of London, England.
Mr. William King Howitt, who was elected to the Patea Borough Council in January, 1897, and again in September of the same year, is a son of Mr. William Howitt, of Patea, an early military settler. He was born at Okato, Stoney River, near New Plymouth, in the year 1869, and was partly educated in the blockhouse then in use as a private school. His education was continued at Patea after the removal of his parents to that town, and there, too, he learned the trade of a baker with his father. Then he took a trip to the Old Country, where he found employment in the office of the Northern Trawling Company, Aberdeen, Scotland, and attended evening classes at the Gordon College. Mr. Howitt travelled nearly all over England and Scotland, and on his return to New Zealand wrote and published an account of his travels, of which 4000 copies were printed by Messrs Mills, Dick, and Co., of Dunedin, and the whole issue was promptly sold. While at Home he made known the many advantages of colonial life, and was in this way successful in inducing about thirty emigrants to avail themselves of the opportunities offered by Mr. Courtney, the well-known immigration agent for Taranaki. Mr. Howitt bought his father's business in 1897, but subsequently disposed of it to his brother. In 1897 he married the daughter of the late Mr. George Souter, farmer, of Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Mr. Howitt is further referred to as a general storekeeper at Awatuna East.
Mr. Rudolph Hunger served for several years as a member of the Patea Borough Council. He is a member of the well-known firm of McCarthy and Hunger, coachbuilders, etc. Mr. Hunger was born in Switzerland in the year 1855, and is the son of the late Mr. M. Hunger, of Granbunden, Switzerland. He was educated at his native place, and apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade. In 1875 he came to New Zealand, by the ship “Halcione,” landed at New Plymouth, and worked for the Taranaki Ironsand Company as a blacksmith. Three years later he went to Wanganui, where he worked for Mr. Walter Armstrong, of the Eureka Carriage Factory. Mr. Hunger then tried his luck on the goldfields at Kumara, but lost all his savings in a few months. Then he went successively to Timaru, Oamaru, and Dunedin, and worked at his trade at each place. He afterwards removed to Wanganui and Patea, where he found employment with Messrs Williams and Son, now of Manaia. A year later he entered into partnership with Mr. John McCarthy, and they have since established a very good business. Mr. Hunger has devoted much attention to mechanical engineering. In 1884 he married Miss Elizabeth McCarthy, sister of his partner, and daughter of Mr. Hugh McCarthy, of Patea, and has three daughters and four sons.
Mr. James O'Brien was elected a member of the Patea Borough Council in the year 1903. He was born in 1845, in Dublin, Ireland, where he was educated, and came to New Zealand in 1863 as valet to Major Moore, Assistant Commissary-General to the New Zealand forces, and served till 1867, in Taranaki, when he settled on the land. Mr. O'Brien subsequently joined Number 3 Division of the Armed Constabulary force, then in camp on the coast; served for some time under Captain Newland, and was engaged in numerous skirmishes. In 1867 he went to the Thames for a time, and on returing to Taranaki became a military settler at Okato, where he resided until 1879. Later, for a short time, he served with the police force, and was stationed on the West Coast of the South Island. In 1881, he joined a volunteer corps in Taranaki, and settled in the Patea district, with which he has been connected since that time, In 1868 Mr. O'Brien married Miss Mountcashel, of Lincolnshire, England, and has five daughters and one son.
Mr. Frank George Sherwood, who was for some time a member of the Patea Borough Council, was born in Wanganui, in the year 1869, and is a son of the late Mr. George Francis Sherwood, Patea's first mayor. He was educated at the Patea High School. In May, 1896, he established himself in business in Patea as a coach and cab proprietor, and became contractor for the delivery of mails to and from the railway station. Mr. Sherwood subsequently disposed of this business, and settled on his farm at Whenuakura. In the Ancient Order of Foresters he became Chief Ranger, was for a time treasurer of the Patea Fire Brigade, and passed all the chairs in the Good Templar Lodge. Mr. Sherwood has represented his county in football and cricket against New Plymouth, Wanganui, and Hawera.
The Patea Harbour Board controls the southern port of the provincial district of Taranaki. Members of the Board for the year 1906: Messrs J. A. McKenna (chairman), W. Rossiter (representing the ratepayers of the borough of Patea), H. E. Deane (Government appointee), J. Davidson (representing the Hawera county subdivision), H. W. Sutton (representing the Hawera borough subdivision), G. Johnston (representing the Waverley subdivision), and G. V. Pearce (representing Otoia riding subdivision). Mr. E. C. Horner is secretary and treasurer, and Mr. J. R. Paterson, assistant secretary and wharfinger. It was no uncommon thing a few years ago for vessels to be stuck up outside the bar for days or even weeks, and it was quite impossible to enter the port except at flood tide. But now (1906), such improvements have been effected that even at low tide, nine, feet of water is available; which permits small coastal steamers to enter at any time. Sums of money amounting to £15,530 have been expended on the eastern and western piers. The revenue of the Board for the year ending the 31st of December, 1905, was £3352. This included a balance brought forward, £145, and rents of reserve £631; but the rest represented wharfages and port dues. The expenditure of the Board at the same period included sinking funds, £218, interest, £918; and amounted to a total of £2561; which left a balance of £791 to be carried forward to 1906. The total liabilities of the Board at the end of the same year, including all loans, was £27,742, and the gross assets at the same time amounted to £16,428. This showed an excess of £11,313 of liabilities over assets. The port charges are 2s per ton for wharfage, 6d per ton berthage, and 1¼d for pilotage.
Mr. James Davidson, who holds a seat on the Patea Harbour Board, is a representative of the Hawera county subdivision, and is further referred to as a former Mayor of Hawera, and as a member of the Hawera County Council.
Mr. Horace Elliott Deane, who is one of the members of the Patea Harbour Board as a Government appointee, and was chairman for some years, is a well-known bookseller and stationer. He was born in London, England, and is the son of Mr. Thomas Deane, chemist and druggist; was educated at Camberwell, and served an apprenticeship to the building trade. In the year 1859 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Cashmere,” worked as a builder in Christchurch for about a year, and then went on a station in the Mackenzie Country. When the Otago goldfields began to attract attention in 1862, he went there and did fairly well. After that he joined the Defence Force at Wellington, and saw service for about seven years. Then he joined the Armed Constabulary in the Patea district, but three years later left the force for the Telegraph Department, in which he remained for about seven years. Mr. Deane then started an aerated water and cordial factory, which he still carries on, and in 1891 opened his principal business. He was for some time a member of the Patea Borough Council, and is further referred to as a bookseller and stationer.
Mr. Alexander Paterson has been for some time a member of the Patea Harbour Board, as representative of the borough of Hawera. He is further referred to as a former member of the Hawera Borough Council, and as a member of the well known drapery firm of Paterson Brothers and Co.
Mr. William Rossiter holds a seat on the Patea Harbour Board as a representative of the ratepayers of the borough of Patea. He is further referred to as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Mr. Edward Charles Horner, Secretary to the Patea Harbour Board and Clerk of the Patea County Council, was born in Essex, England, in 1851, and is a son of Mr. Robert Horner, veterinary surgeon, of Palmerston North. He was educated at St. Nicholas College, Brighton, England, and trained as a clerk in London. Mr. Horner left England for New Zealand in 1867, in the ship “Electra,” and landed in Wellington in October of that year. After a good deal of pioneer work in Rangitikei, Wanganui, and other parts of the coast, Mr. Horner established himself in Patea in 1881. Since then he has held various positions of trust and responsibility.
The Patea County Council was constituted under the Act of the year 1876, and has jurisdiction over an area of 691 square miles. Members of the Council for the year 1906: Messrs G. V. Pearce (chairman), J. Walker, W. van Asch, O. Symes, O. Hawken, J. Kennedy, G. Johnston and W. Derrett. Mr. E. C. Horner is clerk and treasurer. The county of Patea lies between the county of Hawera on the north and the county of Waitotara on the south, and is divided into three ridings; namely, Kapara riding, which returns one member, Waverley riding, which returns four members, and Otoia riding, four members. At the census of April, 1906, the county had a population of 4126. The capital value of all property is £1,500,000, on which a general rate of ¾d in the pound is levied, with special rates in certain ridings. There are about sixty miles of main roads, and about one hundred miles of side roads. Of the large number of bridges, which are under the control of the Council, the most important are those over the Patea, Whenuakura and Waitotara rivers, on the main road. The revenue of the Council for the year 1905–6 was £6167; of which about £946 was Government subsidy, grants, and thirds. The expenditure for the same year was £6160, which included grants to nine Road Boards, amounting to £1609. In 1906 the total loans of the county for bridges and roads amounted to £11,999.
Mr. William Charles Symes, who was for some time chairman of the Patea County Council, was born at Bridgewater, Somerset, England, in April, 1845. He is the son of Mr Francis Symes, a Somersetshire farmer, and was educated partly in the Old Land, and partly in New Zealand where, with his father's family, he arrived by the ship “Ann Wilson,” which was so badly provided and watered that it is said many deaths occurred from that cause on the voyage out. Mr. Symes landed at Lyttelton in 1857, but New Plymouth being the destination of the Symes family, they proceeded thither, and in 1861 Mr. Symes was sent to Nelson to school. About the middle of 1864 the family left New Plymouth for Wanganui, and found their way to the Patea district in the year 1873. Mr. W. C. Symes secured a block of about 1500 acres at Manutahi, besides other considerable patches of freehold and leasehold property in the neighbourhood. Though he does a good deal of cropping, and is well known as a breeder of Shorthorns, it is as a breeder of Lincoln sheep that he has mainly made his reputation. Every year he sends numbers of Lincoln rams to the sales, and his entire stock of Lincolns exceeds 4000 in number. He also breeds hacks and draught horses for his own use and occasional sale. The quality of his land is proved by its average yield in grain; sixty-five bushels of oats and forty bushels of wheat, respectively, to the acre. Mr. Symes was a member of the Patea County Council for nineteen years, and chairman for eleven years. He was chairman of the Patea West Road Board for nineteen years, and is a member of the Patea Harbour Board, Licensing Bench, and Hospital and Charitable Aid Board for the Wanganui and Patea district. During Mr. Symes' occupancy of the county chairmanship nearly all the bridges of the district were renewed, with the exception of the bridge across the Patea river, which had just been completed when he took office. The economical expenditure of the county funds distinguished his term of office. As a steward and chairman of the committee of the Patea Jockey Club, steward of the Egmont Racing Club, vice-president of the Hawera Hunt Club, and steward and committee-man of the Hawera Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Mr. Symes has had his hands fairly full. As a Freemason he has held the office of Senior Warden of Lodge Patea Kilwinning, and he is a member of the Patea Bowling Club. In 1886 he married a daughter of Mr. Peter Hume, of Lower Wairarapa Valley, and has one daughter and three sons.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. W. C. Symes.
The Patea Rifle Volunteer Corps is known as the C Company of the 4th (Taranaki) Battalion Wellington Rifle Volunteers. It was established in September, £900; and some of the members served in the Boer war. The strength of the corps is about sixty. Meetings for instruction and drill are held fortnightly at the Oxford Street Drill Hall. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs R. W. H. Hamerton (captain), C. R. Honeyfield and E. White (lieutenants), W. G. Brown (sergeant and secretary), and M. Carey (colour-sergeant).
Captain Robert William Holden Hamerton was gazetted to the charge of the Patea Rifle Volunteers on the 3rd of November, 1903. He is further referred to as Town Clerk of Patea.
The Patea Post Office stands in Egmont Street, and was erected in the seventies. It is a wood and iron building, and contains a mail room, an operating room, a private letter box lobby with eighty boxes, and a postmaster's room. There is also a telephone exchange, with twenty-nine subscribers. Eight mails are received and despatched daily, and there is a town delivery of letters. The staff consists of a postmaster, three cadets, two messengers and a letter carrier.
Mr. Albert Benner, Postmaster at Patea, has been in charge since March, 1902. He is an old post office official, and served in Ireland before coming to New Zealand in 1874.
The Patea Office Of The Veterinary Division Of The Agricultural Department is under the control of the officer-incharge at New Plymouth. Mr. W. A. P. Sutton, at present (1906) Meat Inspector at the Patea Meat Canning Works, was appointed Inspector of Stock in 1906. He is an old officer, and had had much experience in New Zealand before his present appointment. On the 15th of October, 1901, he was appointed an Inspector under the Slaughtering Act of 1900, and under the Dairy Industry Act of 1898.
The Dairy Produce Grader's Office under the Agricultural Department is domiciled at the West Coast Refrigerating Company's Works, Patea. Until the year 1904 the branch was worked as a sub-office of New Plymouth, but in consequence of the increase of the work, owing to the steady development of the dairy industry in Taranaki, a special office became necessary. In 1903 Mr. Walter Wright accepted an appointment in the Dairying Division of the Department of Agriculture; and after being stationed for one year in Wellington, was appointed Dairy Produce Grader in charge at Patea, in 1904. He still holds the position.
The Patea Police Station stands in Victoria Street, on a site of two acres, and was erected in the year 1902. It consists of a wood and iron building with a verandah, and there are also stables and two cells. The district under the control of the local officer extends inland for about twenty-five miles.
Mr. Michael O'Brien, Constable-in-charge of the Patea Police Station, also acts as Clerk of the Court, and has been in charge at Patea since May, 1899.
The Patea Railway Station is a wood and iron building erected against a concrete wall, owing to the level of the platform being some ten feet below that of the adjoining road. The apartments consist of a ladies' waiting room, stationmaster's room, porters' room, lamp room, and general work and refreshment rooms. There is a good platform, and a large goods shed. About ten trains pass through the station daily. The stationmaster is supported by a clerk, a cadet, two porters and a storeman.
Mr. Isaac William Glenny was appointed Stationmaster at Patea in the year 1893. He has been an officer of the department since 1875.
The Patea Hospital Board, which has the control and management of the local hospital, raises the necessary funds by annual assessments on the Patea Borough Council and the Patea County Council, and these funds are subsidised by the Government. The revenue amounts to about £770 a year. Charitable aid in the district is administered by the Board on behalf of the Wanganui and Patea Charitable Aid Board, and the expenditure under this head amounts to about £50 per annum. The Board consists of the whole of the members of the Patea County Council, and of five members returned by the Patea Borough Council. Mr. E. C. Horner is secretary and treasurer.
The Patea Hospital was erected about the year 1876, and stands on a section of several acres in extent. The building, which is of wood and iron, contains two separate wards for men and women, each with four beds. It also has an isolation ward with four beds, an operating room, a kitchen, bathrooms, and other offices. There are quarters for the matron and nurses. The patients average about five in number for the year.
Dr. Wilfred Thomas Simmons was appointed Medical Superintendent of the Patea Hospital in the year 1904. He was born in Canterbury, and was educated at the Dunedin University. Dr. Simmons graduated in 1902, and served for a time as assistant surgeon at the Masterton Hospital, before his appointment to Patea.
The Patea District High and Public School stands on a site of several acres in Egmont Street. The building is of wood and iron; and contains four classrooms and porches. Accommodation is provided for 200 pupils; there are one hundred names on the roll, and the average at tendance is eighty-three. The teacher's residence stands on the school grounds, fronting Egmont street. The staff consists of the headmaster and a mistress.
Mr. William Adams, who has been Headmaster of the Patea public school since about the year 1896, was previously a teacher under the Wanganui Education Board, at Turakina.
The Parochial District Of The Anglican Church Of Patea and Waverley contains about thirty square miles. The principal church is at Patea, and is known as St. George's. It is of Gothic architecture, built of wood, and roofed with shingles, and has accommodation for 200 persons. The original building was erected in 1871, and is now (1906) used as a school room. Services are held regularly in Patea, and at St. Stephen's church in Waverley, and also at Alton, Manutahi and Hurleyville in halls. St. Stephen's church at Waverley has accommodation for about one hundred persons.
The Rev. Reginald Hermon, Vicar of Patea, was born in England, and passed through the New Zealand theological course while a student at St. John's College, Auckland, and at Bishopdale, Nelson. He was ordained deacon in the year 1885, and priest in 1887.
The Presbyterian Church at Patea stands in Oxford Street, opposite the Borough Council Chambers, and was erected in the seventies. It stands on a section of half an acre, is built of wood and iron, and has room for over one hundred persons. A manse was erected in 1905. The minister at Patea also officiates at Manutahi and Kakaramea.
The Rev. Francis Rule was appointed Minister in charge of the Patea Presbyterian church in October, 1904. He had previously been stationed at Paeroa, Auckland.
The Patea Parish Of The Roman Catholic Church was separated from that of Hawera in the year 1891, and extends from Manutahi to Kai Iwi. The principal church is known as St. Patrick's, and is situated in Egmont Street, Patea. It was erected about the year 1879, on a site of half an acre, and is a wood and iron building with seat room for 250 persons. The presbytery, which adjoins the church, was erected about the same year, and was enlarged in 1894. A convent conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph, was erected in Egmont Street in 1904. There are five Sisters in residence. A primary school is also conducted, and is attended by ninety children. At Waverley there is a church named St. Francis' Church, which was erected in 1886 on a site of three acres, and enlarged in the year 1899. Services are held every Sunday. The Rev. William McGrath is in charge.
The Patea Circuit Of The Methodist Church Of Australasia page 264 was separated from Hawera by the Conference of 1906. In the early days, and up till the year 1887, Patea had been the head of the circuit, which then included Hawera, and the whole of the Waimate Plains. In the latter year Hawera became the head of a circuit, and for two years Methodist interests in Patea were managed from that centre. In 1899 Patea was added to Hawera, and continued part of that circuit till 1906. There is a centrally situated church in the town.
The Rev. James Thomas was appointed Methodist minister in charge of Patea, at the Conference of 1906.
The West Coast Maori Mission in connection with the Methodist Church of Australasia has had its headquarters in Patea since the year 1887. The district worked by the first missionaries extended from Mokau in the north to Rangitikei. The work was begun by an emancipated slave, named William Naylor, who gathered the people together, and persuaded them to abandon heathenism; and under his guidance a church was erected at Taumaka, near Manutahi, and another at Manawapou, near Mokoia. During the time the Taranaki Maoris were under the influence of Naylor, the Waikatos again invaded the West Coast; but under his direction the local natives were victorious over the invaders, and helped the cause of Christianity. The first white missionary who settled in the district was the Rev. M. Skevington, who was stationed at Heretoa on the Waimate Plains. About that time a Waitotara native, who felt aggrieved with his people, went to Taupo, and persuaded the Ngatituwharetoa to come down to punish them. As they were coming down the Waitotara river the informer's kinship asserted itself, and he deserted the war party, and came and warned his tribe that enemies were coming. The tribe gathered under the directon of Naylor, and killed a number of the invaders, and took the others prisoners. Subsequently some of the women and children were returned to their own people, through the intervention of Mr. Skevington. The fight took place at Patoka, near the site of the Waitotara railway station. The Taupo natives afterwards returned to avenge the defeat, but were met on the way, and presented with food in obedience to the Scriptural injunction, “If thy enemy hunger, feed him,” and a collision was averted. The Ngatituanu and Ngarauru tribes then decided to send two of their number to Taupo, and carry the gospel to their enemies. These two men, one of whom was named Tomaunihera, arrived at Tokaanu, where they were immediately slain, and thus ended the feud between the two tribes. During the Maori war William Naylor joined the rebel natives in disapproval of the action of the Government, and he was afterwards killed in battle. Mr. Skevington, accompanied by a number of natives, attended a district meeting of the church in Auckland, and among the natives there was a lad who afterwards became notorious as Titokowaru. Mr. Skevington, however, died suddenly in the old High Street church, in Auckland, immediately after preaching, and thus the natives had to return to Taranaki alone. Mr. Skevington was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Woon, who travelled among the Maoris, and Mr. Skinner was appointed as a teacher, and was stationed as catechist at Patea. On Mr. Woon's departure the Rev. William Hough was appointed, and on retiring was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Stannard, who was stationed at Waitotara, near the present site of the railway station. On his departure the Rev. William Kirk took up his residence at Kai Iwi, on a piece of land which had been bought for a mission station and for school purposes. The Rev. W. J. Watkin then took charge. Shortly afterwards war again broke out, and in the year 1868, Mr. Watkin had to retire to Wanganui. The war practically put an end to all missionary enterprise till 1887, when the West Coast mission was again revived at Patea. During the years that intervened Hauhauism became rampant on the coast, and most of the Maoris forsook Christianity, and joined the movement. As that died away, Te Whiti and Tohu arose, and their influence spread from Waikato to Rangitikei. When the Rev. T. G. Hammond, who was stationed at Patea, took up the work in 1887, the natives were beginning to look for a change, and had had a series of meetings to consider returning to Christianity. Mr. Hammond was formally welcomed by Tawrua on behalf of the natives, and he commenced visiting the various settlements which were willing to receive him. Except at three places—Hukutere, Whenuakura, and Waitotara—the opposition was very bitter. Ultimately a church was erected at Hukutere, and the opposition gradually grewless. Mr. Hammond now (1906) holds services in many of the settlements all along the coast, but loyalty to Te Whiti and Tohu still keeps numbers from embracing Christianity. In 1898 a Taranaki Maori went to college, and qualified as Mr. Hammond's assistant. He was appointed at the Conference of 1900, and is known as the Rev. Robert Hadden. Mr. Hadden is stationed at Okaiawa, and has been doing magnificent work among his own people. Services are hold periodically in more than thirty different places.
The Rev. Thomas Godfrey Hammond has had charge of the West Coast Maori Mission since the year 1887. He was born in Richmond, Nelson, in 1846, and has been well known in connection with the church since 1874.
Court Patea, No. 5086, Ancient Order of Foresters, was established in the year 1867. Officers for 1906: Messrs E. F. Mann, Chief Ranger; E. Mercer, Sub-Chief Ranger; and R. W. H. Hamerton, secretary. The Foresters' Hall is a wood and iron building, situated in Leicester Street. It was erected in 1891, was acquired by the Order in 1902; and has seat accommodation for seventy persons. Court Patea has accumulated funds amounting to £1200.
The Patea Racing Club was established in the year 1894. The racecourse is situated in the borough, and consists of forty acres of leasehold land. There is a racing track one mile in length, and a grandstand which will seat over 500 persons. Other buildings include a judge's box, a secretary's office, and conveniences. A meeting is held on Easter Monday each year. The stakes for 1906 amounted to £420. From two to three thousand persons attend the meetings. Officers for 1906: Messrs W. C. Symes (patron), H. O. Clarke (president), W. Gower, and G. Williams (vice-presidents), and a committee of twelve. Mr. G. W. Booth is treasurer, and Mr. R. W. H. Hamerton, secretary.
The Patea Horticultural Society holds an annual show in the month of December. The gatherings, which are held in a local building, are attractive, and are attended by a considerable number of settlers. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs E. C. Horner (president) and W. C. Cargill (secretary).
The Patea Brass Band was founded in the eighties, and has a membership of about twenty. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs J. Hulbert (conductor), and J. Dempsey (secretary).
Mr. John Hulbert was appointed Conductor of the Patea Brass Band in the year 1902. He was born in 1874 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, and accompanied his parents to New Zealand in 1879. He was educated in Wellington, where he learned the trade of a cabinetmaker, and afterwards worked at Palmerston North. Bulls, New Plymouth, and Hawera, before establishing his business in Patea. Mr. Hulbert began to take an interest in musical matters at fourteen years of age, when he began to practise on the cornet. While at Bulls he became a bandsman, for about two years, before page 265 removing to Hawera, where he was a member of the local band for three years, and for two years he had further experience in Mr. Higham's orchestra. He is senior sergeant of the Patea Rifle volunteers, and has been successful in shooting competitions; took second place for the Auckland Championship in January, 1905, and won the Auckland Cup at the same meeting. He has also won matches at Wanganui and Stratford; while at Trentham in 1906, he was second in the 1000 yards combination match. Mr. Hulbert is a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters. In 1892 he married a daughter of Mr. N. Johnston, of Hawera, and has two sons and one daughter.
The Patea County Press was established in July of the year 1875. It was founded by Mr. Ivess, and was afterwards conducted respectively by Messrs Clayton. T. E. Hamerton, Holloway, and Cowern, before being acquired by the present proprietor, Mr. Cargill, on the 1st of January, 1904. The journal is published on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays of each week, and is a four-page sheet of seven columns per page. Each issue contains about twelve columns of reading matter, apart from advertisements. The paper is independent in politics, and has a very extensive circulation, in the Patea and Waverley districts. The office is centrally situated in Egmont Street, and there is a full jobbing plant. Mr. William Clement Cargill is proprietor and editor of the paper.
The Patea Courthouse stands in Egmont Street, adjoining the Post Office, and was erected in the seventies on a site of an acre. The building, which is of wood and iron, contains the courthouse, a public office, and rooms for the magistrate, clerk, and witnesses. For some time a magistrate was stationed at Patea, but was withdrawn about the year 1891. Periodical sittings of the court are held by Mr. A. Turnbull, Stipendiary Magistrate at Hawera.
Adams, Henry Edward, Barrister and Solicitor, Egmont Street, Patea. P.O. Box 39. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Adams commenced practice in the year 1876, and has secured a first-class connection. He is solicitor for the Bank of Australasia, Bank of New South Wales, and the Bank of New Zealand, and for the Hurleyville Dairy Factory Company, Limited. Mr. Adams was born in 1850 at Nelson, and is the son of the late Mr. Henry Adams, for many years Crown Prosecutor at Nelson. He was educated at Nelson College and at the Edinburgh Academy, Edinburgh. Mr. Adams was admitted to the bar by Mr. Justice Richmond, in 1874, and was in partnership with his father for two years, before establishing himself in Patea. He has been a prominent footballer, and was a representative of Nelson against Wellington and other provinces. In 1878 he married a daughter of Major Turner, of Patea, and has one daughter.
Mr. H. E. Adams.
Clarke, Herbert Onslow, Solicitor, Leicester Street, Patea. P.O. Box 14. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Leicester Street. Mr. Clarke is further referred to as a former Mayor of the borough of Patea.
Hamerton, Gervase Disney, Barrister and Solicitor, Egmont Street, Patea. P.O. Box 19. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Probably no solicitor on the coast is more widely known, or has a more intimate acquaintance with the district than Mr. Gervase Hamerton, who was born at Halifax, Yorkshire, England, in 1843, and is the son of the late Mr. Holden Hamerton, solicitor. He was partly educated at the Burnley Grammar School, Lancashire, and subsequently was under private tuition at New Plymouth, where his parents with their family arrived in the ship “Cashmere” in 1854. On the death of his father, Mr. Hamerton entered the office of Mr. Standish, then Crown Prosecutor of New Plymouth, and completed his legal training under Mr. C. B. Izard, Crown Prosecutor of Wellington. He was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of New Zealand by Chief Justice Sir George Arney, in 1868; he began the practice of his profession in New Plymouth in the same year, and twelve years later removed to Patea, where he established himself in 1880. He is known not only as an able lawyer, but also as an energetic colonist of high standing. Mr. Hamerton is chairman of the Patea Chamber of Commerce, and Patea Domain Board, and solicitor to the Patea Harbour Board. He holds office as vicar's churchwarden in the Anglican church, and was vestryman and parishioners' churchwarden continuously for nearly twenty-five years. During the second Taranaki war, in 1862–3, he was bugler in No. 2 Company Taranaki Rifles, the late Sir Harry Atkinson's company; and on the recommendation of Colonel Stapp was promoted to the rank of 2nd lieutenant of No. 7 Taranaki Militia, after the close of the war. As a Freemason, he is a Past Master in the Order, and has filled all the principal offices in his present lodge at Patea, and in Lodge De Burgh Adams of New Plymouth, in which he was initiated in 1866. Mr. Hamerton is solicitor to various local bodies. He devotes much spare time to horticulture, and is vice-president of the Patea Horticultural Society. In 1873 Mr. Hamerton married Miss Mary Madeira Gledhill, daughter of the late Mr. Francis Ullathorne Gledhill, who represented Taranaki in the first General Assembly held in Auckland, and has three daughters and four sons.
Mr. G. D. Hamerton.
Simmons, Wilfred Thomas, M.B., Ch. B., Physician and Surgeon, Hadfield Street, Patea. Dr. Simmons, who has been practising in Patea since the year 1901, is further referred to as Medical Superintendent of the Patea Hospital.
Hunter and Johnston, Surgeon Dentists, Dental Chambers, Egmont Street, Patea. Head Office, Stratford. This branch was opened in the year 1904, and is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a waiting room, a surgery, a recovery room, and a workroom, fitted up with the most modern appliances.
Mr. Howard Hector Reynolds was appointed Manager of Messrs Hunter and Johnston's Patea branch in the year 1905. He is a son of Mr. John Reynolds, sheepfarmer, of May-field. Masterton, where he was born in 1883. He was educated at Parkvale school, and at Wellington College, studied for his profession under Mr. S. Hall, in Wellington, and passed his examination successfully in October, 1904. Mr. Reynolds is a member of the Patea Bowling Club.
The Bank Of New South Wales, Patea, occupies an excellent site, nearly opposite the Post Office. This branch was opened in the year 1871 by Mr. R. C. Tennent, and is now managed by Mr. John Munro, who has two assistants.
Mr. John Munro, Manager of the Bank of New South Wales at Patea, joined the service in the year 1877. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1861, and is the son of Mr. John Munro, the well-known auctioneer of Westport. In 1873, he entered his father's office, where he gained four years' commercial experience. He joined the Bank of New South Wales at Westport in 1877, and five years later was transferred to Auckland as teller. In 1890, he was appointed to his present position. Mr. Munro married the daughter of the late Mr. W. Weaver, of Worcester, England, in 1890, and has one son and one daughter.
The Bank Of New Zealand in Patea stands at the corner of Egmont Street and Oxford Street, and was opened in May, 1873. The premises now (1906) occupied were erected in the year 1883 on a section of half an acre, and consist of a fine two-storey wood and iron building, containing a banking chamber, a manager's room, a strong room and a residence. The manager is assisted by two officers.
Mr. Alfred Pickering was appointed Manager of the Patea branch of the Bank of New Zealand in the year 1905. He has been an officer of the bank since 1876, and was promoted to the position of manager in 1884.
The Patea Chamber Of Commerce holds monthly meetings at the Borough Council Chambers, where matters affecting the welfare of the port and district of Patea, and subjects of colonial interest are discussed. Remits are also exchanged with other Chambers. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs W. Rossiter (president), G. D. Hamerton (vice-president), A. Christensen), J. A. McKenna, J. Beagey, and W. C. Cargill (executive). Mr. Cody is treasurer, and Mr. C. A. Larcombe, secretary.
Horner. Edward Charles, Land Insurance, Shipping, Finance, and General Agent, Egmont Street, Patea. P.O. Box 28. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Horner has been established in Patea since the year 1881. He is clerk of the Patea County Council, secretary of the Patea Harbour Board, Hospital Board, Patea East and Patea West Road Boards, agent for Aorere Shipping Companies and agent for the Liverpool, London and Globe Insurance Company. Mr. Horner is further referred to as secretary of the Patea Harbour Board.
Mitcheli., John King, Land, Estate, Commission, and Shipping Agent, Egmont Street, Patea. This business was established in the year 1901 by Mr. J. K. Mitchell, who is agent for the Patea Steamship Company, the New Zealand Shipping Company, the National Insurance Company, and is auditor for the Patea Racing Club. Mr. Mitchell does an extensive shipping business, and undertakes all kinds of commission agency work. He is further referred to as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Wells, Ernest Edward, Photographer, Picture Framer, Cycle Importer, Land, Insurance, and Commission Agent, Oxford Street, Patea. Mr. Wells conducts his business in a two-storey wood and iron building, which contains a double-fronted verandah shop, with a show room, a studio, a picture-framing shop, a finishing room, a photographer's work room, and a residence. The proprietor was born in 1866, in Surrey, England, and arrived in Otago in the year 1882. He was intended for the legal profession, but had to give it up on account of illness. Later on he turned his attention to photography, and about the year 1894, started business on his own account, at the Thames, Auckland. He afterwards removed to Wanganui, and after being three years and a-half in that town, removed to Patea, and commenced his present business in 1902.
Adams, R. A. and Sons, Clothiers and Milliners, Egmont Street, Patea. This business was founded by the late Mr. R. A. Adams in the year 1874, and was conducted by him until shortly before his death in November, 1904. The business is now (1906) conducted under the management of trustees and Mr. Adams' sons. It is carried on in a handsome building, erected in 1905. There are three large shop windows and an extensive verandah, and drapery, clothing, millinery, and dressmaking departments. The building is lighted throughout by electricity. Messrs Adams and Sons are large importers. Mr. A. E. Adams acts as manager. The late Mr. R. A. Adams is further referred to as a former Mayor of Patea.
Herbert, John, Tailor and Storekeeper. Bedford Street, Patea. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Herbert is further referred to in another article as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Holtham, John Joseph, Tailor, Egmont Street, Patea. Private residence, Bedford Street. This business was established in the year 1904. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, containing a shop and a workroom. Mr. Holtham is further referred to as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Hulbert, John, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer, Egmont Street, Patea. Private residence, Victoria Street, This business was established in the year 1900, and is conducted in a two-storey wood and iron building, with show room and work shop. All classes of furniture are made, and particular attention is paid to orders. Mr. Hulbert is further referred to as conductor of the Patea Brass Band.
Rossiter, William, Butcher, etc., Egmont Street, Patea. Mr. Rossiter carries on an extensive wholesale and family trade throughout the district, including Alton, Hurleyville, Whenuakura, and other localities. He is further referred to as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Taranaki Butchery (A. W. R. Bonld, manager), Egmont Street, Patea. This business was established in the year 1896, and is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a shop with a verandah, and a small goods room. There is also a residence on the premises. All meat sold is killed at the Western Canning Company's slaughter house.
Mr. Albert W. R. Bould, Manager of the Taranaki Butchery, was born in Wellington, where he was educated and learned his trade, passing through every department. In 1890 he removed to Taranaki, and has worked at his trade at various places between Wanganui and New Plymouth. Some time ago he managed the Taranaki butchery for two years, and again took it over in 1906. In 1902 he married Miss Moss, of Rangitikei, and has one son and one daughter.
The West Coast Refrigerating Company, Limited, has its head office at Patea; and is a co-operative association owned by about fifteen butter factories. Directors for the year 1906: Captain G. Johnston (chairman), and Messrs T. L. Joll, A. C. Pease, W. Williams, and J. J. Campbell. Mr. F. W. Grainger is manager and secretary. The works were erected in 1901, and consist of a substantial wood and iron building, which contains an up-to-date plant, including a thirty-ton Hercules refrigerator, and two Babcock steam boilers of forty-five and thirty horse-power respectively. The chambers are cooled on the latest air circulating system, and contain 5400 cubic feet of air space in six separate chambers. Butter from various factories arrives at the railway siding in insulated trucks, alongside the works; in order to save handling, the boxes are transferred on ingenious conveyors direct into the chambers, and when the butter has passed through the various processes, and has received the official mark of the Government grader, it is shipped on board steamers lying alongside the building at the Patea river front, by similar conveyances. Each day's churning of every factory is separately graded, and this also applies to the grading of cheese. For the twelve months ending June, 1905, 129,000 boxes of butter were handled and shipped from the works. Five men, in addition to the office staff, are employed.
Mr. Frederick William Grainger, Manager and Secretary of the West Coast Refrigerating Company at Patea, has been in charge since the inception of the works. He was born in the year 1871, in Sunderland, England, where he was educated. When he was fourteen years of age, he came to New Zealand, and landed in Auckland. He served an apprenticeship of five years as an engineer at the works of Messrs J. J. Niven and Co., Hawke's Bay Foundry, and was afterwards employed at the Hawke's Bay Freezing Works, for the same period. Mr. Grainger was then engaged for five years as an engineer on vessels of the Union Steam Ship Company, before he received his present appointment at Patea. He is a member of the local tennis club. In the year 1903 Mr. Grainger married a daughter of the late Mr. G. Wordsworth, of Manaia, and has one daughter.
The Western Packing and Canning Company, Limited (Thomas Thompson, manager), Patea. This well-known factory was established in the year 1888 by Mr. Oldham, and successfully carried on by him for ten years. Afterwards a limited company was formed, and at a later period Mr. R. Darling acquired the works, which passed into the possession of Mr. T. Thompson in 1904. The works are extensive, and situated on a block of eighty acres of good land close to the railway station, from which the site is separated by the main road to Waverley. A siding across this road communicates with the works—a convenience granted by the Railway Department, in consideration of the large turnover of the company. The buildings have a frontage of 220 feet by a depth of 120 feet, and have been much enlarged since the company took them over. The process of reducing fat sheep and cattle into canned mutton and beef is effectually and simply carried out. Live stock are slaughtered daily, and so admirable are the arrangements, that, from stage to stage of the industry, everything proceeds like clockwork. The tin-packing cases are made on the premises, and there is methodical management throughout the entire establishment. Fifty thousand sheep and 4000 head of cattle are passed annually through the works. The preserved products are all exported to the Old World, where they find a ready sale. It is claimed that this is the only meat preserving company in New Zealand, whose goods are on the Admiralty list for purchase. On the lands in the vicinity of the works, stock is kept for a reasonable time before being killed, to enable the animals to get into thoroughly good condition after travelling, and every care is taken to keep up the quality of the meat. By general request, meat is supplied to the public at retail prices; a circumstance which speaks well for the estimation in which it is held by local residents. Wherever the preserved meats of the Western Canning and Packing Company have been tested, they have won golden opinions.
Mr. Thomas Thompson, Proprietor of the Western Packing and Canning Company's works at Patea, acquired the business in 1904. He was previously well known in Southland as general manager of the Southland Frozen Meat and Export Company, and is further referred to on page 848 of the Otago and Southland volume of this Cyclopedia.
Christensen, Adolph, Wool-broker and Fellmonger, near the Bridge and Railway Station, Patea. The Patea fellmongery was established in the year 1883. It was acquired by Mr. Murgatroyd in 1891, and was conducted by him until taken over by the present proprietor, who had previously been manager. Skins and hides from the Western Canning and Packing Company, and from the farmers and butchers in the neighbouring districts, are treated at this fellmongery. In summer about 600 skins per day are put through, but in winter the output is only about half that number. About fourteen persons are employed. Mr. Christensen is further referred to as a member of the Patea Borough Council.
Gibsons Limited, General Merchants; head office, Patea; branch at Hawera. This extensive business was founded by Mr. John page 268 Gibson before the closing of the Taranaki war. It was conducted by him until the year 1905, when the present company was incorporated, and the management was then taken over by Mr. Gibson's sons, who conduct a large and growing business. Mr. John Gibson is governing director.
The Patea Steam Brick Works, Limited, were established by Mr. H. Graves in the year 1900, and acquired by the present company at its incorporation in 1905. They are situated on the east side of the Patea river, on a site of fifteen acres of partly freehold and partly leasehold land. There is a large permanent Hoffmann kiln, capable of holding 120,000 bricks, and a pipe kiln of modern design, for burning and facing bricks, chimney pots, and pipes. There are also large sheds for drying purposes, and these will contain between three and four hundred thousand bricks. The plant consists of an ordinary wire-cutting brickmaking machine, capable of turning out twelve thousand bricks per day. There is a splendid deposit of clay on the company's property, which is practically inexhaustible. The produce of the works finds a market as far as New Plymouth and Marton, and on the West Coast of the South Island. It is expected that the annual output will exceed over a million and a half of bricks in the near future, besides pipes and eartherware of various descriptions. Mr. Herbert Graves is managing director.
Deane, Horace Elliott, Bookseller, Stationer, Fancy Goods Importer and Tobacconist, Egmont Street, Patea. Mr. Deane's is the principal business of its kind in the district, and his store is well stocked with fancy goods, perambulators, crockery and glassware, tobacconists sundries, etc. The shop has a large double window, and is of good dimensions, with a fine show room upstairs. Mr. Deane is further referred to as a member of the Patea Harbour Board.
Howitt, Alexander Mackay, General Storekeeper and Tea Merchant. Baker and Confectioner, corner of Egmont and Bedford Streets, Patea. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Howitt's general store was established in the year 1895 by Mr. W. K. Howitt and himself, but two years later, when the success of the undertaking was assured, the senior partner withdrew from the firm, and Mr. A. M. Howitt became sole proprietor. Mr. Howitt subsequently purchased from his brother, Mr. W. K. Howitt, the bakery business which had been founded by their father. The bakehouse is well equipped, the oven being one of the largest on the coast, and lined top and bottom with fire bricks. An improvement, by no means common in the colony, is a patent pyrometer, an instrument for measuring the degrees of heat above those indicated by a mercurial thermometer. The advantages of this kind of oven become apparent, when it is explained that the baking occupies only about half the time required by the old style of oven. As a result, there is a great improvement in the quality of the bread, as well as in the speed with which it can be turned out in large quantities. Mr. Howitt's carts traverse the country round for a radius of about ten miles, with prompt delivery in all weathers; and his wedding cakes, and other fancy confections, frequently find their way into Hawera, Waverley and other neighbouring towns. The business is conducted in a fine shop, which is stocked with all the varied goods usually found in a country store. Mr. Howitt is a direct importer of crockery and other manufactures, and is agent for the “Tiger” and “Golden Heart” teas. He also deals largely in flour from the best mills in the colony. Mr. Howitt was born at Stoney river, Taranaki, in 1875, educated at Pahia, and after gaining two years' experience with the late Mr. R. A. Adams, several five years with Mr. John Gibson, the well known storekeeper of Patea. After that he went into business with his brother as a general storekeeper, and subsequently acquired the business on his own account.
Mr. A. M. Howitt's Premises.
Glenny, William Clinkard, Livery Stable Proprietor and Coal Merchant, Bedford Street, Patea. This business was established in the year 1898, and is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains eight stalls and a loose box, and stands on a quarter acre freehold section. Five vehicles, including a lorry, a dray, a buggy, and two cabs, and eight horses are employed. For some time Mr. Glenny has had the mail contract between the Post Office and the railway station. He is further referred to as captain of the Patea Volunteer Fire Brigade.
Mr. Alfred Palmer arrived in Lyttelton in the year 1858. He is a native of Worcestershire, England, and a son of Mr. and Mrs Thomas Palmer, of New Brighton, Christchurch, who are (1806) eighty-six years of age. After coming to New Zealand with his parents, he remained for some time in Canterbury, and gained experience on sheep stations in Hakataramea. In 1866 Mr. Palmer first visited Wanganui, and shortly afterwards was attracted to the Thames goldfields. He joined the Armed Constabulary in Auckland, in 1868, returned to Wanganui, and saw service during the following six years. He was stationed at New Plymouth and at White Cliffs, and was a member of the expedition sent out against Te Kooti at Ngatapa, Poverty Bay, where the rebel and his followers escaped over a cliff, by means of ropes. In 1874 Mr. Palmer settled in the Patea district, and started farming on the Whenuakura block. He acquired about 1500 acres, which he farmed for many years, and which is now (1906) in charge of his sons. Mr. Palmer has been a member of various road boards and school committees. In 1878 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Merry, of Christchurch, and has five sons and four daughters.
Mr. Peter Wilson, referred to at page 184, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1842. He arrived in Wellington in November, 1857, by the barque “Gleaner,” and was for three months in the Hawke's Bay district. In 1862, he went to the Otago diggings, but returned in six months to Hawke's Bay, where he became a farmer, and owned 200 acres of land at Hampden. He had also a leasehold farm near Napier. In 1872, Mr. Wilson sold out his Hawke's Bay properties, and settled in Taranaki, near Patea, on a farm which he worked for twenty years. Having sold his property, he removed to Stratford, where he bought a farm of seventy acres. During the Maori war Mr. Wilson served in the militia at Napier, and afterwards in Taranaki. He was also in the Yeomanry Cavalry in both districts, and at the time of the Mohaka massacre he went to Poverty Bay with the troops. Mr. Wilson was for about five years a member of the Patea Road Board, and was also a member of the Kakaramea school committee and of the Mangamura Road Board. He was afterwards on the Stratford school committee, and was for some time a director of the Stratford Farmers' Co-operative Dairy Factory. Mr. Wilson married the daughter of the late Mr. Charles Raven, of Napier, and has three sons and two daughters.