The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Okaiawa lies south-by-east from Mount Egmont, and the Inaka river runs not far from the township. Although only a country place Okaiawa has the advantage of electric light, supplied by the Hawera County Electric Light Company, which has a splendid power house between Okaiawa and Normanby, on the Waingongoro river. There is a large dairy factory in the settlement, which also contains a hotel, a store, a butchery, and a public school; and a Maori minister of the Methodist church has his residence in the village. The settlement is surrounded by excellent pastoral and farming country.
The Okaiawa Public School was established in the year 1884. The building is of wood and iron, and contains two class rooms and two porches, and a teacher's residence adjoins the school. There is accommodation for 120 children, the roll has 1£6 names, and the average attendance is ninety-two. The headmaster is assisted by a mistress, and a pupil teacher.
Mr. Arthur Owen Buchler was appointed Headmaster of the Okaiawa Public School in the year 1902. He is more fully referred to on page 1280 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Joll's Skeet Road Creamery, Okaiawa. This creamery has been established since about the year 1894, and is situated three miles from Okaiawa. The building is commodious, and well fitted up with an up-to-date plant. Power is derived from a breast wheel, and there is an auxiliary three horse-power Murray engine driven by a Murray boiler of eight home-power. There are three Alpha de Laval 440 gallon separators, a No. 5 Alpha de Laval pasteuriser, a skim milk weigher and a cream hoist. The manager has one assistant.
Mr. Robert White was appointed Manager of Joll's Skeet Road Creamery in the year 1901. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1874, came to New Zealand with his parents, was educated at Kaitangata, and brought up to farming in the Catlin's River district, where he still (1906) holds a farm. Deciding to become a factory manager, he served for a season in the Owaka factory, and, later on, was for a time in the Waihola factory before receiving his present appointment. Mr. White is a member of the senior team of the Okaiawa Football Club.
Bremer, Frank Adolph, Farmer, “Armadale,” Okaiawa. Mr. Bremer's farm consists of 600 acres of good pastoral land, 284 acres of which is freehold; and the balance of 316 acres, leasehold, is known as the Gordon Park Estate. Mr. Bremer devotes his attention chiefly to the breeding of high-class horses, and milks about one hundred cows. He is well known as a breeder of draught horses, with which page 221 he takes many prizes at various shows. One of his draught mares took nine first prizes in ten years, and four champion prizes; he has also been successful in carrying off the first prize for most points in draught horses, and has taken many prizes for both light and heavy stock. Mr. Bremer is a native of Adelaide, Australia, where he was born in the year 1848. He came to New Zealand in 1863, and has been on the coast following farming since that time. Mr. Bremer bought his present property in 1890, and has carried out considerable improvements. He is president of the Okaiawa Racing Club, a member of the local school committee, and a Justice of the Peace. Mr. Bremer is married, and has three daughters and two sons.
Jones, Wallace, Farmer, Okaiawa. This well known settler was formerly farming at Te Awamutu, in the Waikato district, and is further referred to at pages 729 and 730 in the Auckland volume of this Cyclopedia.