The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Tataraimaka is a dairy-farming district on the New Plymouth-Opunake road, about fourteen miles south-west of New Plymouth, and twenty-four miles from Opunake. It lies between the villages of Oakura and Okato, and is in the Omata riding of the county of Taranaki, and in the Cape survey district of the Taranaki land district. The settlement is intersected by the Timaru stream, on the banks of which stands the Timaru creamery.
Timaru Creamery, Tataraimaka. This creamery was formerly the property of the Crown Butter Factory, but was subsequently acquired by the Oakura Co-operative Dairy Factory Company, Limited. It occupies a picturesque site on the road between Oakura and Okato. About 850 gallons of milk are received daily, the cream of which is sent to the factory at Oakura. The plant includes two de Laval separators, and there is a daily output of twelve boxes of butter. Mr. W. R. Cave is manager.
Mr. Walter Robert Cave was appointed Manager of the Timaru Creamery and Oakura Factory in the year 1893. He was born at Gosport, in Hampshire, England, in 1864, and is a son of the late Mr. A. M. Cave, a well known house and ship decorator, who did up Lord Brassey's yacht “Sunbeam,” and the yacht “Hildegarde,” when it belonged to the Prince of Wales, now King Edward the Seventh. Mr. Cave was educated at Mr. Gayne's Collegiate School, Gosport, and came to New Zealand in the s.s. “Ruapehu” in October, 1889. Eight years later he took a trip Home for the Jubilee in the s.s “Tonga-riro,” and returned by the ill-fated “Mataura,” which was wrecked in the Straits of Magellan. In 1889 Mr. Cave removed to New Plymouth, where he found employment on what is known as the National Bank Farm at Tataraimaka, and while there, as manager of the butter factory, he gained first prize for his butter. Mr. Cave has a farm of 125 acres, situated near the creamery on the Petane road, and he runs upwards of a score of cows.