The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Eltham stands at the junction of three roads; namely, the Mountain road, and the Eltham-Opunake and Rawhitiroa — Waitotara roads. It is the centre of what is reputed to be the most fertile dairy farming district in Taranaki. The main trunk line from New Plymouth to Wellington runs through the settlement, which is thirty-six miles south-east of New Plymouth, and 215 miles from Wellington. Eltham railway station, which stands 707 feet above sea level, is twelve miles to the north of Hawera, and six miles to the south of Stratford. Mount Egmont lies almost north-west from Eltham, which is in the Ngaire survey district of the Taranaki land district. Eltham is well known as the centre of the New Zealand Axemen's Carnival, which annually attracts visitors from various parts of the colony. The town was constituted a borough on the 12th of October, 1901. A water supply has already been installed, and is obtained by gravitation from the Waingongoro river, three miles and a-half distant. There is also a drainage system, on the septic tank principal; and in the lighting of the borough, kerosene is to be superseded by gas. The Taranaki Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company has its headquarters in Eltham. This company is incorporated under the Mutual Insurance Act of 1903, and is managed by a local Board, representing the South Taranaki settlers. Although the company only started in June, 1905, yet in February of the following year, the total insurances amounted to £45,000, and about 200 insuring members had joined the association. Eltham is also the domicile of the Eltham Drainage Board, which has jurisdiction over the Ngaire swamp, a block of land in the county of Hawera; it lies to the east of Eltham, and is valued at £55,890. There is an Eltham-Opunake Railway League, the object of which is the construction of a railway to Opunake. The industries of the borough include dairy, bacon, and butter-box factories, sawmills, and sash and door works. Retail trades are well represented in Eltham by modern establishments in the two main thoroughfares, Bridge Street and High Street; and there are also resident lawyers, doctors, and dentists. A daily evening paper, the Eltham Argus, is published in the borough, which has three hotels, several boarding houses and livery stables. Coaches run daily to Opunake, each way, via Mangatoki, Kaponga, Awatuna, Awatuna East, and Te Kiri; and there is also a tri-weekly service to Mangamingi and Omoana. Eltham has branches of the Banks of Australasia, New Zealand, and New South Wales. Education is provided at a large public school, and also at a convent school; and Government departments are represented by a post office and telegraph office in brick, a police station and the railway station. There are churches belonging to the Anglicans, Presbyterians, Primitive Methodists, Methodists, Roman Catholics, and the Salvation Army. Weekly sales are conducted at two private saleyards in the borough, which has a Tradesmen's Association in active operation.
The Borough Of Eltham was incorporated on the 12th of October, 1901. It is situated in the centre of a rich agricultural and pastoral district, at the junction of the Mountain — Eltham — Opunake, and Rawhitiroa-Waitotara roads. Within a year of its incorporation, there were proposals for a loan of £16,000 for water and drainage schemes; and a further loan of £7,500 was raised in 1905 for street improvements, fire brigade, and other purposes. The borough has an area of 1590 acres, and 500 rateable properties of the capital value of £174,000. A general rate of 1½ in the pound is levied, and a variable water rate—in terms of the Municipal Corporations Act, 1900. The borough's revenue amounts to £2,040 a year. Eltham is at present (1906) lighted by seventeen kerosene lamps, at a cost of £3 per lamp per annum; but the erection of gas works is under the consideration of the Council. The water supply is obtained from the Waingongoro river, at a point three miles and a half from the town. The water first passes through a filter tunnel, and then into a settlement tank, from which it is brought by gravitation. Pipes are laid throughout the borough, and a pressure of ninety-five pounds to the square inch can be obtained. Eltham's drainage is on the septic tank system. The borough has a recreation reserve of eleven acres near the railway station. The cemetery, page 191 which is under the control of the Council, is ten miles in extent, and is situated about two miles eastward of the town, on the Rawhitiroa road. There is a local volunteer Fire Brigade, and a fire police corps. Slaughter in connection with the supply of meat is carried on at two private slaughter houses outside the boundary of the borough, within which there is a co-operative bacon factory. Dairying is largely carried on in the district, and the local factory pays out at least £60,000 per annum. The Egmont Box Factory (supported by almost, if not all, of the dairy factories in the province) is situated within the borough, which is also the headquarters of the Taranaki Farmers' United Fire Insurance Association. The population of the borough in 1901 was 1,013, which, at the census of 1906, had increased to 1,329. Members of the Council for the year 1906: Mr. G. W. Tayler (Mayor), and Messrs T. B. Crump, E. L. Briant, H. G. Carman, L. Hill, T. C. Stanners, F. Amoore, E. Parrott. F. W. Retter, and T. N. Blackhall. Mr. H. W. Climie is Borough Engineer; and Mr. W. J. Tristram, the Town Clerk, was appointed in 1901. The ordinary meetings of the Council are held on the fourth Wednesday in each month.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. George Washington Tayler, J.P., was born in Brooklyn, United States of America, in the year 1858. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1863, in the ship “Echunga,” landed at Timaru, and was educated at Geraldine, in Canterbury. He removed to the North Island, and joined Mr W. Dale, auctioneer, of Patea, with whom he remained four years. Then he returned to Canterbury, and was engaged in various pursuits there for some time. In 1886, he entered the employment of the late Mr. R. A. Adams, and shortly afterwards opened the branch, which he subsequently acquired in conjunction with Mr. A. E. Scrivener. Mr. Tayler has been chairman of the Eltham school committee and the Chamber of Commerce, and has been a member of the Charitable Aid Board. He has been a Freemason for many years, and has occupied various positions in the local lodge; and is a Past District Grand Master of the Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Tayler is married, and has three sons and two daughters.
Councillor Thomas Charles Stanners was first elected a member of the Eltham Borough Council in the year 1902, and was re-elected in 1905. He was born in 1862 at Poplar, London, England; started work at nine years of age, and was educated at a night school; and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1870. For seven years Mr. Stanners was employed by Messrs Curtis Brothers at Stratford. Then he entered the service of Messrs Adamson and Pease in Hawera, and subsequently became manager of a business for that firm for about eight years. Later, in conjunction with his brother, he commenced business as a butcher in Eltham, under the style of Stanners Brothers; this business he conducted for about eight years, and subsequently sold his interest to his partner. Mr. Stanners has been chairman of the Eltham Domain Board, of which he is still a member, and he is a member of the executive of the New Zealand Axeman's Association at Eltham. He has also passed the chair in connection with the local Lodge of Oddfellows. In 1886 he married a daughter of Mr. W. T. Styles, of Hawera, and has two sons and three daughters.
Councillor T. C. Stanners.
Councillor Henry George Carman was elected a member of the Eltham Borough Council in April, 1905. He was born in 1873, at One-hunga, Auckland, and was educated at Te Aro School, Wellington. He was afterwards brought up to the stationery business by Messrs Lyon and Blair, and continued with that firm for fifteen years, before starting in business on his own account at Eltham. Mr. Carman is president of the Eltham Tradesmen's Association, and is secretary of the Eltham Bowling and Tennis Clubs. In 1899 he married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Swain, of Wellington, and has two daughters. He is further referred to as a bookseller.
Councillor Frederick William Retter was returned a member of the Eltham Borough Council at a by-election in 1906. He was born in March, 1872, at Porirua, near Wellington, and was educated at Johnsonville. He learned his trade as horseshoer and general smith in Molesworth Street. Wellington, where he was employed for fourteen years. In the year 1904 Mr. Retter acquired his present business. He takes an interest in local matters, is secretary of the Eltham Gun Club, and a member of the local cricket club, and of the District High School committee. In 1894 Mr. Retter married a daughter of the late Mr. Solomon Stephens, of Rangiora, Canterbury, and has two sons and one daughter. He is further referred to as a coachbuilder.
Councillor F. W. Retter.
The Eltham Post Office was originally established at Mangawhero road, but on the opening of the railway it was removed to the railway station, where it was conducted for a number of years. Subsequently the present site in Bridge Street, was presented to the department by Mr. John Searle, and the building was opened in September, 1904. It is a two-storied brick building, and contains a public office, a postmaster's room, a mail room, and a private box lobby containing fifty-five boxes; there is also a telephone exchange, with twenty-seven subscribers. The Eltham Post Office is the central distributing station for Mangamingi, Omoana, Rawhitiroa, Rotokari, Mangatoki, Kaponga, Riverlea, Awatuna, Awatuna page 192 East, and Te Kiri, all of which are connected with the central office by telephone. Mails by rail are received nine times, and despatched seven times, daily. The staff consists of a postmaster, a telegraphist, two cadets, a letter carrier, and two messengers.
Mr. Frederick Henry Barnard was appointed Postmaster at Eltham in the year 1904. He was born in London, England, in 1855, and came to New Zealand with his parents when two years of age. He was educated at Mr. Finnimore's school, in Wellington, and was afterwards employed at a flaxmill in Canterbury. Mr. Barnard entered the postal department in 1873, as a cadet, and was subsequently stationed at Nelson, Greymouth, Auckland, and Gisborne, and at Naseby, in Otago. In 1881 Mr. Barnard married a daughter of the late Mr. M. Chambers, of Auckland, and has three daughters and five sons.
The Eltham Railway Station is a wood and iron building, and contains a ladies' waiting room, a luggage room, a public ticket lobby and a general workroom. There is also a long passengers' platform, and a large goods shed. The staff consists of a stationmaster and five assistants.
Mr. George Albert Parsons was appointed Stationmaster at Eltham in the year 1905. He is further referred to, on page 816, in the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand.
The Eltham Public School stands on the site of four acres, on Mountain road. The building is of wood and iron, contains four class rooms and two porches, and has accommodatior for 237 pupils. The growth of the school has been so great of recent years that classes are also held in two halls in the town, pending the enlargement of the school premises. There are 310 names on the roll, and the average attendance is 280. The headmaster is assisted by four teachers, and two pupil teachers. Mr. Taliesin Thomas was appointed headmaster of the Eltham public school, in the year 1893. He came to New Zealand at an early age, and became a teacher under the Wanganui Education Board.
The Eltham Parish Of The Anglican Church includes the settlements of Te Roti, Ngaire, Mangatoki, Manganui, and Fraser road. The principal church is known as All Saints' and is situated in Eltham on a site of three-quarters of an acre. It was erected at a cost of £600, and is a wood and iron building, with seats for 200 persons. The old building, which did duty for many years is now (1906) used for the Sunday school, which has an attendance of forty children, under five teachers. At Te Roti there is St. Luke's church, of wood and iron, which will seat one hundred people. Services are also held in other centres. The Rev. Harry Campbell Bourne, M.A., was appointed Vicar at Eltham in February, 1906. Mr. Bourne is an Englishman, and came out to New Zealand to take charge of the parish of Eltham.
The Eltham Circuit Of The Methodist Church Of Australasia has its principal church in King Street, Eltham. The foundation stone of the new building was laid in 1901, on a site of about half an acre, and the opening service was conducted by the Rev. C. E. Godbehear. The building is of wood, with a porch and a vestry, and there is a hall behind for meetings, gymnasium, and a Sunday school. The Rev. Charles E. Godbehear is resident minister in charge, and the buildings were erected during the first two years of his ministry.
The Eltham Primitive Methodist Circuit includes the districts of Bird road, Ngaire, Rawhitiroa and Mangawhero roads, Mangatoki and Mahoe. The principal church of the district is situated at the corner of York Street and London Street, Eltham. It stands on a quarter-acre section, and is a wood and iron building with seats for 150 persons. The Sunday school is in charge of eight teachers, and is attended by about sixty children. The parsonage is a five-roomed residence, situated in Mills Street, and stands on three eighths of an acre of land. Services in the surrounding districts are held in union churches or schoolrooms.
The Rev. Job Benning was appointed Minister-in-charge of the Eltham Primitive Methodist circuit in the year 1905. He was born in 1858, at Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England, where he was educated, and became a local preacher in connection with the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1882. In April, 1886, Mr. Benning came to New Zealand and landed in Auckland. Two months later, he was stationed at Pukekohe, where he remained for one year and seven months, and was afterwards at Waipawa for three years. Mr. Benning was then stationed successively at Oxford, Canterbury, for two years, at Westport for three years, at Kumara for the same period, at Petone two years, and at Mount Eden. Auckland, for four years. Mr. Benning was ordained on the 26th of February, 1900. In 1877, he married a daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Ellis, of Chester, England.
Rev. J. Benning.
The Salvation Army has been represented in Eltham since the year 1888. The barracks are situated in York Street, and were erected in 1905. They occupy a site of a quarter of an acre, and are of wood and iron with accommodation for 230 persons. There are eighty active members in connection with the branch, and the band has a membership of twenty. Adjutant David McLure is in charge of the corps.
The Eltham Brass Band was founded in September, 1903, and has a membership of twenty-one. The band room, valued at £150, is the property of the band, and stands on a freehold section at the back of the Fire Brigade station. Officers for the year 1906: Messrs A. Beesley (bandmaster), L. King (treasurer), and F. C. Davidson (secretary).
Mr. Albert Beesley, Bandmaster of the Eltham Brass Band, was born in the year 1878, in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, and was educated at All Saints day school in his native place. In 1890 he went to Australia, and for four years worked in connection with the woollen trade at Ipswich, Queensland. He then came to New Zealand, and was for about four years employed in the Roslyn Woollen Mills, near Dunedin. Mr. Beesley afterwards gained experience as a cycle engineer under Mr. J. Gray, of Milton, with whom he remained for three years and a-half. He then removed to Taranaki, settled in Eltham, and acquired the business he has since conducted. Mr. Beesley was a member page 193 of the Milton Band, and has been connected with musical bands since 1894. He is further referred to as a cycle engineer.
The Eltham Argus came into existence in December, 1897, as a biweekly paper, and in the year 1902 appeared as a daily evening paper. It is a four-page sheet of thirty-two columns, one-third of reading matter, and two-thirds of advertisements. Politically, the Argus supports the Liberal Government. The proprietor subscribes to the Press Association. At one time the domicile of the paper was near the railway station, but was subsequently removed to more central premises in High Street. There is a full printing plant, driven by water-power, with a subsidiary oil engine. A considerable amount of jobbing business is also undertaken.
The Hon. Walter Charles Frederick Carncross has been Proprietor of the Eltham Argus since October, 1901. He is further referred to as a member of the Legislative Council.
Mr. J. H. Claridge, at one time business manager and part owner of the Eltham Argus, was born at Wanganui, where his parents were early settlers. He learned the printing trade at the office of the Wanganui Herald, when that journal was owned and edited by the late Hon. John Ballance. About the year 1878 he assisted Mr. George Capper to start the Feilding Guardian, afterwards the Feilding Star. In March, 1880, Mr. Claridge was employed by Mr. J. B. Innes to work on the Hawera Star, which made its first appearance in the following month. After being connected with the Star for a period of nearly eighteen years, he resigned his position as foreman, in order to start the Eltham Argus. He subsequently sold his interest in that journal, and now (1906) owns the Martinborough Star, in the provincial district of Wellington.
Crump, Thomas Buddle, Barrister and Solicitor, Bridge Street, Eltham. Mr. Crump established his Eltham practice in the year 1901. He is a member of the Eltham Borough Council, and was previously in practice for a number of years in Palmerston North. Mr. Crump is further referred to on page 1167 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand.
Malone, McVeagh, and Anderson, Barristers and Solicitors, High Street, Eltham. Mr. Alexander Howat Johnstone, B.A., LL.B., is resident solicitor in charge.
Ridd, Coleridge, Chemist and Druggist, Bridge Street, Eltham. This business has been conducted by the present proprietor since the year 1901. Mr. Ridd is further referred to on pages 1031–2 of the Wellington volume, of the Cyclopedia of New Zealand.
The Bank Of New South Wales has been represented in Eltham since the year 1898, and the town was previously, for a number of years, visited weekly from Hawera. Temporary premises are occupied in Bridge Street, but the bank owns a section at the corner of York Street and Bridge Street, on which a building is ere long to be erected. Visits are paid twice weekly to Kaponga. Mr. Hugh Saunders Robison has been manager at Eltham since the opening of the branch. He is a native of New South Wales, Australia, where he was born in 1862. Mr. Robison entered the service of the bank on leaving college, and had numerous appointments before he was transferred to Eltham.
The Bank Of Australasia in Eltham was opened in May, 1905, in temporary premises in High Street, and weekly visits are paid to Kaponga. Mr. Henry Frank Hayden, the manager, was born in India, in 1869, and joined the Bank of Australasia, in Melbourne, in the year 1888.
The Bank Of New Zealand was represented in Eltham as a visiting agency for some years before the establishment of the local branch, in September, 1898. The premises stand on a section of a quarter of an acre, and were completed in June, 1902. The building is of two stories, in wood and iron, and contains a banking chamber, a manager's room, a strong room, and a residence. The manager is assisted by five officers, and visits are paid to Kaponga twice weekly.
Templer, Arthur, Surveyor, Eltham, Mr. Templer, who is a son of the late Mr. E. M. Templer, was born in Christchurch in 1859. He was educated at Christ's College, served his cadetship under Mr. J. H. Baker, Chief Surveyor of Canterbury, and became an authorised and licensed surveyor in 1882. In the following year he was engaged by the Manawatu Railway Company, and two years later commenced private practice in Wellington. He returned to Canterbury in 1888, having been appointed engineer to the Mandeville and Rangiora Road Boards. Removing to Auckland in 1895, for the benefit of his health, he entered into partnership with Mr. Whalley in the year following. After the dissolution of this partnership, Mr. Templer went to Eltham, where he has since followed his profession. He married, in 1888, the eldest daughter of the late Mr. E. C. Latter, of Christchurch.
Mr. A. Templer.
Mr. J. C. Datson.
McGarry, W. H. and A. (William Henry McGarry and Alfred McGarry), Auctioneers, Wholesale Wine and Spirit, Seed and Produce Merchants, Land and Financial Agents, corner of High Street and King Edward Street, Eltham. This extensive business was established in the year 1897, in premises specially built in High Street. The firm afterwards erected another building in High Street, but even that ultimately proved too small for the requirements of the business, which was then removed to its present site. The premises now occupied consist of a commodious wood and iron building, erected on a quarter-acre section. There are offices, an auction room, and a wine and spirit cellar; and also a seleyard fitted up with fowl coops and every convenience. Weekly sales are held every Saturday, and special outdoor sales as required. Messrs McGarry are importers of wine, spirits, and general merchandise, and carry on a large and growing business.
Mr. William Henry McGarry, J. P., Senior Partner of the firm of Messrs W. H. and A. McGarry, was born in Roscommon, Ireland, in the year 1866, and is the youngest son of the late Mr. John Edmond McGarry. He was educated and brought up to a mercantile life in his native country, and about 1885 came to New Zealand, landing in Auckland. Eighteen months later he removed to Wellington, where he was engaged for a few years in mercantile life before settling in Taranaki in 1891. He started in business on his own account in Stratford, and removed to Eltham in 1899. When Eltham was constituted a borough Mr. McGarry became senior councillor, and headed the poll amongst twenty-seven candidates. He was again re-elected on the second occasion, but retired on account of pressure of business, though he still takes an interest in local affairs. In 1897 he married the eldest daughter of Mr. Felix McGuire, formerly member of the House of Representatives for Egmont and Hawera, and has one son and two daughters.
Retter, Frederick William, Coachbuilder, Farrier and General Smith, High Street, Eltham. This business was founded in 1892 by Messrs Fitch and Company, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1904. It is conducted in a large wood and iron shop erected on a freehold section. The plant includes three forges and all necessary appliances. Eight persons are employed. Mr. Retter is further referred to as a member of the Eltham Borough Council.
The Excelsior Drapery Company (C. C. Ward, proprietor), Eltham branch, High Street, Eltham; Head Office, New Plymouth. The Eltham branch of the Excelsior Drapery Company was established in the year 1901. The premises consist of a large wood and iron building, which contains a well lighted shop, with three plate glass windows, a fine show room, and a dressmaking department. The stock is imported, the firm having agents in London.
Mr. Ernest C. Goldstone was appointed Manager of the Excelsior Drapery Company in Eltham, in the year 1904. He was born in 1880 in Christchurch, and was educated in Wellington and Wanganui. He gained his first experience of the drapery business under Messrs Pettie and Kenning in Wellington, and continued with that firm for two years. Subsequently he gained further experience under Messrs George and Kersley, and at Te Aro House, Wellington. In 1900 Mr. Goldstone removed to New Plymouth, and entered the employment of Mr. Ward. Four years later he received his present appointment. Mr. Goldstone is a member of the Eltham Cricket Club, and also of the executive of the Eltham Tradesmen's Association.
McMillin, Robert, Merchant Tailor, Bridge Street, Eltham. This business was established in the year 1905 by Mr. R. McMillin. The premises consist of a brick building, which contains a shop, a cutting room, and a workshop. The proprietor maintains an assorted stock of imported tweeds and tailors' trimmings. Three persons are employed. Mr. McMillin was born in 1872, at Tapanui, Otago, and was educated in Auckland, where he learned his trade under Mr. John Platt, of Newton. Subsequently, he worked for some time as a journeyman, and then removed to Paeroa, where he was in business for two years. Mr. McMillin afterwards returned to Auckland, and gained further experience before establishing his present business in Eltham. He is a member of the Eltham Lodge of the Order of Druids, No. 32. In 1895 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Walsh, of Auckland, and has, surviving, one daughter and one son.
Lewin, William, Hairdresser, Tobacconist and Billiard Saloon Proprietor, corner of High Street, and King Edward Street, Eltham. This business was established in the year 1902, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1903. The premises stand on a freehold section, and consist of a wood, iron and brick building, containing a double-fronted shop with a verandah, a hairdressing saloon fitted up with two chairs, and a large billiard room lighted by five skylights. Mr. Lewin has installed one of Cook's air gas plants, which is used for lighting the shop and the billiard and hairdressing saloons. All the arrangements are up-to-date in every respect. Mr. Lewin was born in January, 1877, in Nelson, where he was educated. He afterwards learned his trade at Marton, where he was employed for five years, and subsequently gained further experience at Stratford and Napier. He then started in business on his own account at Mangaweka, where he continued for four years and a-half before removing to Eltham. Mr. Lewin is a member of the Eltham Tradesmen's Association, and of the Eltham Bowling Club.
The Branch Hotel (Charles Potts, proprietor), corner of Bridge Street and High Street, Eltham. This hotel is a two-storied building, and contains about thirty-four rooms, including five sitting rooms, a large dining room, and a billiard room. The tariff is a moderate one, the liquors and accommodation are of the best, and a good table is kept.
Mr. Charles Potts, the Proprietor of the Branch Hotel, was born in the year 1846, in Canterbury, Kent, England, where he was educated, and learned carpentry. He came to New Zealand in 1873, and settled in the Wairarapa. Later on, Mr. Potts removed to Feilding, and was at Patea before finally settling at Eltham. Darling his residence in New Zealand, up to 1904, he was engaged in building and contracting. The Bank of New Zealand, Adams' Buildings, and other buildings in Eltham were erected by him. In 1904 Mr. Potts took over the Branch Hotel. For some time he was a member of the Eltham Borough Council. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge St. John, No. 95, New Zealand Constitution, and is a member of Court Patea, Ancient Order of Foresters. As a volunteer. Mr. Potts has had twenty-five years' experience. At the time of the Parihaka scare, he was at Te Whiti's stronghold as lieutenant in the Carterton Rifles. Mr. Potts is married, and has six sons and seven daughters.
Beesley, Albert, Cycle Engineer, Bridge Street, Eltham. This business was established some years ago, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1903. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, and contains a shop, a large store, and a workshop fitted up with modern appliances. Mr. Beeslev is an importer of Birmingham Small Arms parts, and builds a popular machine known as the “Settler.” He is further referred to as bandmaster of the Eltham Brass Band.
Cole and Donnelly (Alfred Fletcher Cole and Peter Thomas Donelly), Cycle Agents, Importers and Manufacturers, Bridge Street, Eltham, and at Hawera. This well known firm imports Swift, Raleigh, and Rover Cycles, and builds a Birmingham Small Arms machine, the “Egmont Special.” The firm carries heavy stocks of all cycle and motor accessories and parts, including naptha and benzine for motor cars and cycles. Messrs Cole and Donnelly also have in stock sporting and photographic goods and golf appliances, books, stationery, and fancy goods. The premises are owned by the firm, and include two shops, and an attached dwelling. The firm owns a motor car in Eltham, and a motor cycle agency. Two persons are employed.
Mr. Alfred Fletcher Cole, of the firm of Messrs Cole and Donnelly, acts as manager of the business. He was born in Quail Valley, Nelson, in the year 1872, is a son of one of Nelson's early settlers, was educated at the Eighty-eight Valley school, and brought up on a farm. He afterwards removed to Taranaki, where he was engaged in contract work for some time. In November, 1897, he entered into partnership with Mr. Donnelly in his cycle business at Hawera. Later on he took charge of the firm's Stratford branch, which the firm afterwards sold, and now (1906) he has charge of the Eltham branch. Mr. Cole is a member of Lodge Mansion of Peace, Manchester Unity, Independent Order of Oddfellows, Wakefield. He has competed with fair success in bicycle races, and is interested in photography. Mr. Cole is married, and has two children.
Mr. A. F. Cole.
Mr. Edwin Parrott, Secretary of the Eltham Bacon Factory Company, was for some time proprietor of the Excelsior store in Bridge Street. He was born in the year 1871 at Nottingham, England, where he was educated, and afterwards served in the hosiery branch of Messrs Adcock and Blagg. In 1892 he came to New Zealand, and shortly after his arrival opened the Excelsior store in Eltham, but subsequently disposed of it. Mr. Parrott has identified himself with the welfare of the district; he is chairman of the Eltham Debating Society, and in temperance work has taken a leading part in the Order of Good Templars.
Carman, Henry George, Bookseller, Stationer, and Fancy Goods Dealer, Bridge Street, Eltham. Agent for the New Zealand Times, New Plymouth Daily News, and Hawera Star. This business was established in the year 1902 by Mr. Carman. It is conducted in a large shop, which has an extensive shop window, fronting the main street. A well assorted stock of fancy goods and stationery and of the latest books is maintained by Mr. Carman, who has also a considerable lending library. Mr. Carman opened a branch shop at Kaponga in June, 1904. As a news agent he acts as town publisher of the Eltham Argus. Mr. Carman is further referred to as a member of the Eltham Borough Council.
Cannell, Kenneth Leslie, Bookseller, Stationer, and Fancy Goods Dealer, High Street, Eltham. This business was established in the year 1897, and was acquired by Mr. Cannell in 1903. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, which contains a large double-fronted shop with a verandah. An assorted stock is maintained, various lines being imported. Mr. Hodder, was born at the Lower Hutt, Wellington, and was educated at Marton. Hawera, Opunake, and Sandon. He was brought up to the stationery business in Stratford, under Mr. Hodder, and afterwards under Mr. Betts, in the same establishment, where he continued until removing to Eltham in 1903. Mr. Cannell is a member of the Eltham Bowling Club, and of the local Lodge of Oddfellows.
Davidson, Frederick Charles, General Storekeeper, Bridge Street, Eltham. Branch at Ngaire. This business was established in the year 1900 by Mr. Davidson. It is conducted in a wood and iron building, containing a large double-fronted shop, an office, and a store room. A large and varied stock of boots, crockery, hardware, grocery and produce is maintained. The Ngaire branch of Mr. Davidson's business was established in 1903. The usual stock is maintained, and there is also a drapery department. Mr. Davidson was born in 1875, at Wanganui, and was educated at the Wanganui High School. Subsequently, for six years, he gained experience in the wholesale trade in Wanganui, and was afterwards employed by Mr. J. L. Stevenson, for ten years before establishing his present business. Mr. Davidson takes a keen interest in local matters, and is chairman of the Domain Board, of which he had previously been a member and its secretary from its inception. He is also a member of the Executive of the Eltham Tradesmen's Association, secretary of the Eltham Brass Band, and has been conductor of the Presbyterian church choir since 1904. In 1905 he married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Palmer, of Eltham.
Tayler, Scrivener and Company (George Washington Tayler and Alfred Thomas Scrivener), General Storekeepers, and Direct Importers, Bridge Street, Eltham. This business was established in the year 1886, by the late Mr. R. A. Adams, of Patea, as a branch of his business, and was conducted by that gentleman until shortly before his death, when it was acquired by the present proprietors. The premises consist of a large wood and iron building, the front portion of which is used as a general store; the rest of the building includes store rooms and packing rooms.
Mr. George Washington Tayler, J.P., Senior Partner of the firm of Tayler, Scrivener, and Company, was appointed manager of the business when is was established by the late R. A. Adams in 1886. He is further referred to as Mayor of the borough of Eltham.
Mr. Alfred Thomas Scrivener was born in Wanganui in the year 1863, and was educated at the Wanganui Grammar School. He gained commercial experience under Messrs Duthie and Thain; and after being twelve months with Mr. Davidson, of Hawera, he took up a dairy farm at Midhirst, which he worked for about ten years, and then re-entered commercial life in partnership with Mr. Sergeant. About 1895 the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Scrivener started on his own account in Midhurst. In November, 1904, in conjunction with Mr. G. W. Tayler, he took over the large business formerly conducted in Eltham by the late Mr. R. A. Adams. Mr. Scrivener was a member of the Midhirst Road Board for some years, and was at one time a director of the Midhirst Dairy Factory. He has always taken considerable interest in local affairs, and is ready to assist any proposal beneficial to the community at large. Mr. Scrivener married a daughter of Mr. Christianson, of Midhirst, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. Robert Albert Adams, formerly owned this extensive business, which was then managed by Mr. G. W. Tayler, one of its present proprietors. Mr. Adams died some time ago.
Coronation Stables (Robert Death, proprietor), Bridge Street and Burke Street, Eltham. These well-known stables were established in the year 1894, and were acquired by the present proprietor in 1905. The large wood and iron building, ninety-seven yards in depth, and extending from Bridge Street to Burke Street, contains 104 stalls and twelve loose boxes. Four gigs, four single and one-double buggy, a drag, a coach, and fourteen horses are employed in the business. Mr. Death was born in 1879, at Rangitikei, and was educated at Wanganui. He was brought up on his father's farm in the Wanganui district, and has had experience with horses from his earliest days. He was afterwards, for a time, at Waitotara, before removing to Eltham. Mr. Death is a member of the local Court of Foresters. In 1904 he married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Thompson, of Ngaire, and has one daughter.
The Eltham Timber Yard, Eltham; a branch of the New Plymouth Sash and Door Factory and Timber Company, Limited. This yard is fully stocked with seasoned timber from the company's mills, and supplies Eltham and the surrounding districts. There is a manager's office with a storeroom, and the manager is assisted by a yardman.
Mr. William George Reid, Manager of the Eltham Timber Yard, was born in the year 1870 at Thames, and was educated at the Thames High School. He subsequently took charge of a general store at Waitekauri, and, later on, was engaged for four years in D. Berry and Company's ironmongery business in New Plymouth. For over five years Mr. Reid had charge of the Stratford branch of Henry Brown and Company, sawmillers and timber merchants, but left that employment in 1903 to take his present position. He is a member of Lodge Excelsior, Manchester Unity, Independant Order of Oddfellows, New Plymouth; for some years he conducted the Primitive Methodist choirs at the Thames, New Plymouth, and Stratford respectively, and was also conductor of the Stratford Presbyterian church for five years. On his retirement from these positions he was, in each case, presented with handsome presents. He was also a member of the Thames Orchestral Society and the Thames Naval Band; was a member of the Waitekauri school committee, and has been a director of the Stratford Co-operative Building Society for three years. Mr. Reid is married, and has two children.
Mr. W. G. Reid.
Jenkins, Thomas, Farmer, “Dovedale,” Eltham. “Dovedale” consists of 1700 acres, half of which is held under freehold tenure, and the balance under lease in perpetuity. It is used as a grazing farm for sheep and cattle, and a large number of fat lambs are raised annually. Mr. Jenkins was born in the province of Nelson, in the year 1848, and is a son of the Rev. William Jenkins, a Wesleyan missionary, who came to New Zealand in the year 1840, conducted fourteen Maoris to England, on a visit to Queen Victoria in 1863, and was afterwards private secretary to Sir Walter Buller in connection with native affairs at Wanganui. Mr. Jenkins was brought up to farming, principally in Nelson, and afterwards at Wanganui. During the Titokowaru disturbances he served two or three years as a carting contractor for ammunition and provisions, and was present at the engagement when Major Von Tempsky was killed. He was also at the fight at Moturoa, near Waverley, under Colonel Whitmore, who suffered a defeat, in which Major Hunter and a number of men were killed. On one occasion he had charge of a working party which opened up the Mountain road through the bush between Hawera and New Plymouth, and saw the work completed. Mr. Jenkins subsequently became one of the pioneer settlers of the Eltham district, and gradually increased a small area to his present holding. He has been a member of various school committees, a pioneer director of dairy factory, companies, and is a member of the Eltham Drainage Board. Mr. Jenkins has been connected with the Salvation Army since 1888, and is still (1906) a member of the Eltham corps, of which he was the first member. In 1877 he married a daughter of the late Mr. John Drake, of Johnsonville, We lington, and has, surviving, five sons and one daughter.
Mr. T. Jenkins.
Mr. Robert Coxhead was born in Papatoitoi, Auckland, in the year 1852, and is a son of the late Rev. R. Coxhead, one of the early settlers who came to New Zealand in the ship “Jane Gifford.” After leaving school he followed farming for some time. In 1872 he joined the Armed Constabulary, and served in the Waikato district, where he afterwards took up land, and resided for some years. Mr. Coxhead then went to the Waimate Plains, and spent some time there at farming, but was afterwards successively at Opunake, Hawera, and Alton. In 1897 he decided to settle at Eltham, where he bought land, and erected a comfortable dwelling. He was thoroughly familiar with the whole country for miles around, and could give valuable information as to the quality and suitability of the soil. Mr. Coxhead, who is married, and has two sons and six daughters, has since settled in another part of Taranaki.
Mr. John Henry Henwood was born in New Plymouth in the year 1845. Although only a lad at the time of the war, he served through a portion of the campaign with the militia and volunteers. Until settling in Eltham, in 1880, Mr. Henwood was engaged in pioneer work, and has had his share of colonial experiences; he was one of the first settlers to take up land in the Eltham district. Mr Henwood was a director of the Eltham Co-operative Dairy Factory, and was always willing to assist in anything for the welfare of the district, in which he still owns property. He married a daughter of Mr. Scammell, of New Plymouth, and has two sons and two daughters.