The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Accountants, Agents, and Auctioneers
Accountants, Agents, and Auctioneers.
Bauchope and Webster (Henry May Bauchope and Edward Percy Webster), Accountants, Auditors, and Financial Agents, Brougham Street, New Plymouth. This business was founded by the late R. G: Bauchope about the year 1875. In 1900 Mr. H. M. Bauchope took over the business, and was joined by Mr. Webster on the 1st of August, 1904. The firm acts as district agents for the South British Insurance Company, and holds numerous secretaryships.
Bewley and Griffiths (Walter Bewley and Eustatius Griffiths, Auctioneers, Sharebrokers and Produce Merchants, Devon Street, New Plymouth. This firm dates from June, 1901, though up till then the business had been conducted, from 1894, by the senior partner. The firm acts on behalf of the Standard Insurance Company, National Mutual Life Association, Baldwin and Rayward (patent agents), and represents the Alpha Separator, in Taranaki. Regular land and produce sales are held, and dairy produce is extensively exported by the firm.
Mr. Walter Bewley, besides being senior partner in the firm of Bewley and Griffiths, is secretary to the New Plymouth High School Board. He was born in Cheshire, England, in 1855, and was educated at Greenwood College, Hampshire, and the Victoria University, Manchester, and afterwards gained commercial knowledge on the Liverpool Exchange. Mr. Bewley came to New Zealand in the ship “Himalaya,” and after a four round the North Island on horseback, he decided to settle in Taranaki, and bought five hundred acres of land between Inglewood and Stratford. Mr. Bewley resided there for sixteen years, and improved his property in a very complete manner. He then retired from farming, and after a time commenced a land agency business in New Plymouth, which eventually developed into the large auctioneering and agency business now carried on by the firm of Bewley and Griffiths. Mr. Bewley for many years took an active part in local affairs, and was chairman of the County Council, president of the Agricultural and Horticultural Societies, chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the New Plymouth Harbour Board and High School Board of Governors. During the Parihaka disturbances he commanded a company of volunteers. In conjunction with the late Mr. Thomas Bayly, he imported the first separators into Taranaki for their private use. Mr. Bewley was at one time a prominent local cricketer, and now devotes his spare hours to shooting, fishing, and golf. His indoor hobby is woodcarving, of which he has done a great deal. In the year 1882 he married a granddaughter of Sir James Brind, G.C.B., and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. Eustatius Griffiths, of the firm of Bewley and Griffiths, was born in Auckland in the year 1871. He was for ten years, before he joined Mr. Bewley, an officer of the Loan and Mercantile Agency Company.
Gilmour and Pattie (Everard Gilmour and Leslie Pattie), Land, Estate and General Commission Agents, Brougham Street, New Plymouth. This firm acts as agents for the Australian Widows' Fund (life), and for the New Zealand Trade Protection Society, of Christchurch, and also for the New Plymouth Protection Association, established in the year 1905.
Mr. Everard Gilmour, of the firm of Gilmour and Pattie, is further referred to as secretary and treasurer of the New Plymouth Horticultural Society, and of the Taranaki Trotting Club.
Mr. Leslie Pattie, of the firm of Gilmour and Pattie, was born at Riwaka, Nelson, in the year 1864. He was educated partly at Riwaka and partly at Motueka, and was brought up to farming, which he followed for several years on his own account before settling in New Plymouth. In 1903 he became a member of the firm of Carthew, Pattie and Co., and in March, 1905, joined Mr. Gilmour in partnership. Mr. Pattie was a member of the Nelson Cricket Club, and has played against Australia, and in interprovincial matches. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Alex ander Dalgety, of Kaitangata, in 1897, and has two sons and one daughter.
King, Newton, Auctioneer, Merchant; Office and Auction Rooms, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Telephone 20. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Stockyards at Broadway, Stratford, Rahotu, Waiwakaiho, Stoney Ryer, Toko, Awakino, Whangamomona, and Kaponga. Agent for the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, Phoenix Fire Insurance Society, New York Life, Messrs Booth and MacDonald's Agricultural Implements, Alexandra Cream Separators, Northern Roller Flour Mills. Cooper's Sheep Dip, McCormick Reapers and Binders, etc., etc. Mr. King is a native of New Plymouth, where his father, the late Mr. Thomas King (one of Taranaki's early and most prominent settlers), was for a number of years manager of the Bank of New Zealand. On leaving school, Mr. N. King was employed in the office of Messrs Webster Brothers until 1879, and gained much experience of the butter industry. In 1879 Mr. King entered into his present business, and his well known character and commercial ability soon drew a large and increasing connection, which has extended to all parts of New Zealand. He is one of the originators of the butter industry in Taranaki, and in conjunction with Messrs R. Cock and J. C. George initiated the extensive Crown Dairy Company, of which they are sole owners. Although Mr. King is indefatigable in looking after his large business concerns, which, necessitate his presence in various parts of the district, he still finds some time for public affairs. He is chairman of the Sash and Door Company, a director of the Crown Dairy Company, and a steward of the Taranaki Jockey Club. In both his private and public capacity, Mr. King is held in high esteem by his numerous friends and by the general public. His private residence, “Brooklands,” is situated a short distance from the town. Mr. King is married, and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. Frederick Watson was appointed Manager of the Shipping and Produce Departments of Mr. Newton King's business in the year 1893. He was born on the 1st of November, 1861, in New Plymouth, and educated at Nelson College. Mr. Watson was subsequently employed by Messrs Webster Brothers in New Plymouth and Waitara for seven years and six months, and joined Mr. King's staff in 1885. He has been a steward of the Taranaki Jockey Club since 1903, and a member of the committee since 1890. Mr. Watson owned racehorses for about twenty years. At the time of the Parihaka disturbance, he served with the Taranaki Mounted Rifles. Mr. Watson has held an auctioneer's license since 1901.
Mills, Charles Thomas, Sharebroker, Accountant, Valuer, and General Commission Agent, New Plymouth. Mr. Mills represents the Standard Fire and Marine Insurance and Northern Assurance Companies. He is auditor for several companies, and is a director of the New Plymouth Investment and Loan Society. Mr. Mills was born in 1864 in New Plymouth, where he was educated, and was brought up on a farm. After spending some time at storckeeping in the country, and in other country pursuits, he was articled in 1882 to the late Mr. Edwin Welcome, accountant, of New Plymouth, but owing to the death of that gentleman in 1881, Mr. Mills accepted service with Mr. J. C. Davies, sharebroker and land agent. In 1888 he took up a section in the back blocks, but after a year's experience at bush farming with only fair results, he returned to town, and established his present business in 1890. He received the appointment of county clerk in 1891, but has since retired from the position. He has been successful as an accountant in several complicated cases. Mr. Mills is a member and secretary of St. Mary's choir. He takes an interest in local sport, and was a member of the Taranaki Mounted Rifles and Rifle Volunteers, from which he retired as a sergeant in 1888. At the general Parliamentary election of 1905 he unsuccessfully stood for the representation of Taranaki.
Mr. C. T. Mills.
Mr. J. Mynott.Collis, photo.
Newman, William Litchfield, Commission and Shipping Agent, Currie Street, New Plymouth. Mr. Newman was born in Taranaki, and, on leaving school, entered the office of Messrs Brown and Co., shipping agents, with whom he gained his commercial training. In 1875 he was appointed purser on the Union Company's s.s. “Maori,” and afterwards served in the same capacity in the s.s. “Wakatipu.” He was appointed the company's manager at New Plymouth in 1878, but resigned the position and commenced his present business in 1897. Mr. Newman is president of the Acclimatisation Society, a member of the Recreation Grounds Board, and is one of the directors of the New Plymouth Savings Bank. His father, the late Mr. J. L. Newman, was one of Taranaki's pioneer settlers.
Mr. W. L. Newman.
Richards and Jones (Sydney Knight Richards and Michael Jamos Jones), Land and Commission Agents, Theatre Buildings, Devon Street, New Plymouth. This firm was established in the year 1904. Messrs Richards and Jones are agents for the Ocean Accident, Northern Fire, and Canton Marine Insurance Companies. Mr. Jones is referred to in another article as secretary to the New Plymouth Theatre Company.
Russell, Hickman Frank, J.P., Licensed Land Broker, Insurance and General Commission Agent, opposite Post Office. Devon Street, New Plymouth. This business was established by Messrs A. C. Fookes and Company in the year 1881, and acquired by Mr. Russell in 1902. He is agent for the State Fire Office, conducts a general land broking and agency business, and is also a public valuator. Mr. Russell was born on the 26th of December, 1873, at Sheepshead, near Longborough, Leicestershire, England, and was educated at Ipswich Grammar School. He is a son of Colonel Hickman Rose Russell, of Ipswich, England, late of the 57th Regiment, who served in New Zealand during the Maori war. Mr. Russell came to New Zealand in 1890, and was farming for twelve years in various parts of Taranaki. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1901.
Mr. H. F. Russell. Collis, photo.
Shaw, W. J. and Company (Edward William Garner), Accountants and Financial Agents, Brougham Street, New Plymouth. Messrs Shaw and Co. act as agents for absentees, and are district agents for the Sun Fire Office, and local agents for the City Life Assurance Company, and Messrs Thomas Cook and Son. They are secretaries for the Mongorei and Oakura Co-operative Dairy Factory Companies.
Mr. Edward William Garner, of the firm of W. J. Shaw and Company, after some years of commercial life in Wanganui, removed to New Plymouth as chief clerk to the late Mr. W. J. Shaw, and on the death of that gentleman, on the 27th of November, 1904, he took over the business. Mr. Garner is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and secretary of the vestry of St. Mary's Anglican church. In 1903 he married a daughter of Mr. Jedwin L. Crespin, of Devon, England. Mr. Garner is further referred to at page 1369 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Todd, Robert, Customs, Shipping, and Express Forwarding Agent; Office, Store, and Sample Rooms, Currie Street, and the Pantechnicon, King Street, New Plymouth. Mr. Todd is agent for the New Zealand Carrying Company, Winstone. Limited, Auckland; J. M. Heywood and Co., Christchurch; Colonial Carrying Company, Wellington; and Crust and Crust, Dunedin. Mr. Todd landed in Wellington in 1893, and came straight on to New Plymouth, where he commenced business as a coal merchant in King and Queen Streets. He was formerly a member of the New Plymouth school committee; and was for a number of years a vestryman and warden of St. Mary's Anglican church. Mr. Todd is a member of Lodge Moturoa, United Ancient Order of Druids, No. 19.
Mr. R. Todd. Collis, photo.
Wells. Benjamin, Accountant, New Plymouth. Mr. Wells is a son of the late Mr. Benjamin Wells, one of Taranaki's early pioneers, and was born at Mangorei, Taranaki, in February, 1856. He was educated in New Plymouth, and at the Auckland College and Grammar School, and the University of Otago. Mr. Wells joined the Post and Telegraph Department in Wellington in September, 1874. He was afterwards stationed at Waitaki, Canterbury, for two years, and was subsequently telegraphist at Balclutha for one year. He retired from the public service in February, 1878, joined the staff of the National Bank in New Plymouth, and two years later was transferred as teller to Oamaru, where he remained four years. For a few months Mr. Wells was relieving officer, and after six months at the Dunedin branch, was again stationed at Oamaru. Later on, he served as accountant in the branch at Invercargill for one year. He then returned to New Plymouth in 1884, and became accountant to the late Mr. W. Bayly. In November, 1880, Mr. Wells married a daughter of Mr. George Patterson, C.E., sometime of Newcastle-on-Tyne, who was killed at Frankley Road by the Maoris in February, 1864. Mr. Wells has two brothers, the eldest of whom is postmaster at Whitiangi (Mercury Bay), and the youngest is in the Valuation Department, Wellington.
Webster and McKellar (James Scott McKellar and Harry Stocker), General Commission and Shipping Agents, Currie Street, New Plymouth. The firm are the agents for the New Zealand Shipping Company, Limited, the Commercial Union Assurance Company, Limited, and the Taranaki Producers' Freezing Works, Limited.
Mr. J. S. McKellar is a native of Battersea, England, and received his education at a private school in his native place. In 1852 he left England with his mothers and brothers, and landed in New Plymouth from the ship “St. Michael,” after a voyage of 166 days. The family took up land in the Omata district, and on the breaking out of the war he served with the volunteers and militia, and, in the latter force, he attained the rank of captain. He was present at the Waireka engagement and at the capture of Kaitaki, and was awarded the New Zealand war medal. In 1868 Mr. McKellar commenced business in New Plymouth, and shortly afterwards joined the late Mr. F. L. Webster. He is a Freemason and a Past Master; takes great interest in all athletic affairs; is a member of the Bowling Club; and has for many years been a churchwarden of St. Mary's. Mr. McKellar is married, and has two daughters and one son.
Mr. Harry Stocker, Junior Member of the firm of Webster and McKellar, is further referred to in another article as secretary of the Equitable Building Society.