The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Brown, Henry and Co. (Henry Brown and Charles Ahier), Sash and Door Manufacturers, Sawmillers and Timber Merchants; Yards at New Plymouth, Stratford, and Waitara, and mills at Inglewood, East Road and Surrey Road. Telephone 10. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. The yards at New Plymouth are conveniently situated and arranged, and occupy a space of three-quarters of an acre, where every description of seasoned timber is kept in stock, including flooring, lining, rusticated boards, mouldings, doors, sashes, and turners' and builders' ironmongery. Special attention is given to the manufacture of butter and fruit boxes. The business extends to nearly all the towns in the Taranaki province; about 130 men are constantly employed, and the pay sheet averages about £800 per month.
Koru Sawmilling Company (E. A. Ede, manager), Devon Street, New Plymouth. Mills at Koru. The company has cutting rights over 3,500 acres of bush at Koru. The mill, situated within eight miles of New Plymouth, is of wood and iron, and is driven by a twenty-horse power steam engine. There is also a twin saw, measuring twenty-six feet six inches (the only one of the kind in Taranaki), and planing and logging machinery. The output is about 7000 feet per day.
Mr. Ernest Alfred Ede, Manager of the Koru Sawmilling Company, was born in 1859 in Surrey, England, where he was educated. After about five years' experience in a bank he came to New Zealand, and landed in Dunedin in 1883. Mr. Ede gained a general experience in the colony till 1896, when he became manager of Mr. Greenaway's mill at Dannevirke. He afterwards removed to New Plymouth, and established the Koru mill in 1904. Mr. Ede married a daughter of Mr. J. C. Burrell, of Dannevirke, in 1886, and has two sons and two daughters.
New Plymouth Sash and Door Factory and Timber Company, Limited . Directors for the year 1906: Messrs N. King, (chairman), R. Cock, J. Paul, J. B. Connett, W. F. Brooking, J. C. George, and A. Goldwater. Mr E. Snowball is manager, and Mr. J. McArthur, secretary. The factory and office of the New Plymouth Sash and Door and Timber Company are situated in Gill Street, New Plymouth, and stand on part of a freehold section of three acres. The plant is driven by a twenty-five horsepower steam engine, and consists of the most modern machinery. Sashes, doors, and all kinds of joinery work are turned out. The sawmills of the company are at Toko, Egmont road and Tariki road; and from 150 to 200 persons find regular employment in connection with the mills and factory. The produce is distributed in the North Island, between Auckland and Wellington.
Mr. Edward Snowball, General Manager of the New Plymouth Sash and Door Company, Limited, was born in Durham, England, in the year 1856. He was educated at the Knaresbro' Grammar School, and was brought up as an engineer, at the works of Messrs R. Stephenson and Co., at Newcastle-on-Tyne. After serving five years at the works he went to sea for two years, as an engineer. In 1880 Mr. Snowball landed in Wellington, and afterwards removed to New Plymouth. He joined the Sash and Door Company in 1884, as manager.
Mr. James McArthur was appointed Secretary of the New Plymouth Sash and Door Company in August, 1904. He is a brother of Dr. McArthur, Stipendiary Magistrate, of Wellington, and was born in 1869 at Emerald Hill, near South Melbourne, where he was educated and brought up to a mercantile life. During the land boom Mr. McArthur was clerk to the Hon. G. D. Carter, Treasurer in the Paterson Government. He subsequently became accountant for a wine and spirit firm, for ten years, before settling in New Plymouth. Mr. McArthur married a daughter of Mr. A. Sugden, of Fitzroy, Melbourne, in the year 1892, and has one son and two daughters.
Shuttleworth Brothers (Alexander Shuttleworth), Timber Merchants, Ironmongers, Coal Merchants and Importers, Albion Yards, Devon Street and King Street, New Plymouth. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Devon Street East. Messrs Shuttleworth Brothers established their well-known business in 1863, the retail part of which is carried on in a large two storied building. At the back are situated the oat-crushing, chaff-cutting, and bone mills, known as the Albion Mills, the machinery of which is driven by one of Messrs Warner and Son's powerful Annular windmills. The firm's coal and timber sheds cover about an acre of ground. Large supplies of red page 116 pine and kauri timber, flooring, linings, skirtings, sashes, doors, and other building requisites are always kept in stock.