The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Criterion Livery and Bait Stables (M. Jones, proprietor), Devon Street and King Street, New Plymouth. Telephone, 29. These fine stables are situated in the centre of the town and opposite the Criterion Hotel. They contain twenty-six stalls, and twelve loose boxes; and landaus, single and double-seated buggies, etc., are supplied at a moment's notice. Picnic parties can be supplied with four-horse brakes, and the proprietor keeps a large specially imported hearse for funerals. Trains and steamers are met on arrival, and there is a night service to connect with the departure of the steamers from the breakwater. Special arrangements have been made with Messrs Cook and Son for the conveyance of tourists to Mount Egmont; and good horses and careful drivers can be depended on in connection with the stables.
Mr. M. Jones, who is a native of County Monaghan, Ireland, arrived in New Plymouth in 1879, and followed farming for five years. He then bought the mail coach service between New Plymouth and Opunake, which he successfully carried on for eight years. In 1893 he disposed of his coaching business, and took possession of the Criterion Livery and Bait Stables.
Jury, William Alfred, Livery and Bait Stables Proprietor, New Plymouth. Baiting accommodation is provided for a large number of horses. Mr. Jury keeps reliable horses for hire, with a good plant of buggies and other vehicles. He was born in Taranaki, and was educated in New Plymouth. At fourteen years of age he went to Australia, and gained many years' experience among horses in Sydney and Melbourne. In 1893 he returned to New Zealand, and for some time conducted stables at Waitara before removing to New Plymouth. Mr. Jury is interested in sport, and was a member of the Waitara Racing Club.
Mr. W. H. Jury's Stables.
West, James William, Tattersall's Livery and Bait Stables, Egmont Street. New Plymouth, Established in 1890, Telephone 62, Mr. West's stables are within a minute's walk of the railway station, and occupy about half an acre of ground. Accommodation is provided for about eighty horses, and eleven new loose boxes have been added to meet the requirements of an increasing connection. In the main building, which contains a floor space of about 4500 square feet, there is a large stock of buggies, landaus, hansoms, brakes, etc. The office and ladies' waiting room are situated in front of the building. Regular conveyances meet the train on arrival, and several more are constantly employed in connection with the stables. On market days business is always exceptionally brisk, and sometimes as many as one hundred horses are baited. Mr. West is a native of Lincolnshire, England, and came to New Zealand in the year 1875. On his arrival in Taranaki, he was for some time engaged in bushfelling, and after farming for twelve years, entered into business. The general public may rely on receiving every attention at Tattersall's stables, and all orders and telegrams are promptly attended to.
Mr. J. W. West's Stables.