The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Nurserymen, Fruiterers, Etc
Nurserymen, Fruiterers, Etc.
City Fruit and Flower Company (John Buttimore, proprietor), Devon Street, New Plymouth. This business was established in the year 1902 by Messrs Carter and Green, and was acquired by Messrs Goodacre and Buttimore in 1904. All vegetables sold at the shop in Devon Street are grown at the company's gardens, which are five acres in extent, and are situated near the cemetery. All kinds of choice flowers and shrubs are supplied from the Morshead Nurseries, for which the company is agent. Seeds are imported direct from French and other well known growers, including Atlee, Burpee and Co.'s “seeds that grow,” from Philadelphia, United States of America.
Duncan's Nursery, Westown, New Plymouth, Mr. Duncan's nursery consists of eight acres of freehold land, situated about two miles from Westown, with a long frontage to the main road. Shelter is obtained from hedges of macrocapa, pinus insignis, etc. Fruit and shelter trees, roses, climbers and flowering shrubs are grown. A specialty is made of saltwind resisting shrubs, such as escallonias and other hedge plants; timber trees, conifers, and shrubs are also grown. A special feature is a small portion of the grounds devoted to the testing of fruits in their relation to soil and climate. Mr. Duncan exhibits, and has taken prizes for roses and bulbs. Daffodils are a special hobby, there being over 150 varieties in the nursery.
Mr. J. R. Duncan.
Mr. J. Horne.
Morshead Nursery Company . The main nursery, of ten acres, is situated on the South Road, and there is a branch nursery of two acres in Lemon Street. The business was established in the year 1880 by the late Mr. Joseph William Morshead, and is now conducted by the page 111 trustees in the estate of the late proprietor. Shelter, ornamental and fruit trees are largely grown, great attention being also given to the cultivation of carnations, azaleas, roses and camellias. The residence is situated on a rise in the grounds.
The Late Mr. J. W. Morshead.