The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Plumbers, Blacksmiths, Etc
Plumbers, Blacksmiths, Etc.
Mr. J. Abbott.
Griffiths Brothers (William Henry Griffiths and Fred C. Griffiths), Plumbers and Tinsmiths, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Established in 1870. Telephone, 135. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The workshop contains a very complete plant, including curving, screwing, down-pipe, ridging, and drilling machines. A specialty is made of the manufacture of tanks and baths, and one of the baths exhibited by the firm at the New Plymouth Exhibition was awarded first prize.
Mr. William Henry Griffiths, Senior Partner, is a native of Auckland, and learned his trade with Mr. Swales of that city. On the expiration page 103 of his indentures he started business for himself in Auckland, and carried it on for eight years. In 1896, at the time of the mining boom, he removed to Paeroa, where he remained about one year. Then he removed to New Plymouth, and, in conjunction with his brother, bought the present business, which has been largely extended. Mr. Griffiths is a member of the Order of Oddfellows.
Okey and Rollo, Engineers, Millwrights, Blacksmiths, Iron and Brass Founders, Taranaki Iron Foundry, New Plymouth. This foundry was originally established in 1866. Mr. F. W. Okey was for years the sole owner, in succession to Mr. Vivian, but he has latterly been joined in partnership by Mr. Rollo, Much of the plant supplied to the country dairy factories has been manufactured by the firm, which has also completed orders for turbines for industries in the north of Auckland. The manufacture of water wheels is a special feature of the foundry, where upwards of twelve persons are employed. Mr. Okey was born in Taranaki, and is a son of Mr. Edward Okey, senior partner of the firm of Okey, Son and Arnold, ironmongers, of New Plymouth. He was educated in Taranaki, and served his indentures with Mr. Vivian, who formerly owned the business. On the completion of his term, he went to Auckland, and served with Messrs Fraser and Tinney, ironfounders and engineers, with whom he remained a year and gained much experience. He returned to New Plymouth, and, on the retirement of Mr. Vivian, took over the business, in which he has since been joined by Mr. Rollo. Mr. Okey takes an interest in Friendly Societies, and is a member of the Rechabites, and has held office on several occasions. He is married, and has children.
Roberts, John, Blacksmith and Farrier, Currie Street, New Plymouth. Established in 1887. Mr. Roberts is a native of New Plymouth, where he first learned his trade, and afterwards removed to Auckland, where for about four years he was engaged in the Auckland Tram Company's shoeing forge. He left Auckland in 1887, and started business in New Plymouth in Devon Street, whence he removed to his present more commodious premises. Mr. Roberts is a Freemason, and also a member of the Order of Foresters.
Smart, G. and Co., Electricians, Plumbers, Dairy and Sanitary Engineers, Gasfitters and Tinsmiths, Manufacturers of the Acetylene Gas Generators for the province of Taranaki, Brougham Street, New Plymouth, and at Broadway, Stratford. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1892 at Stratford by Mr. George Smart, and every description of plumbing and dairy work is manufactured and fitted up in any part of the province. The workshop now contains a complete plant for the manufacture of every branch of the trade, including spouting and down pipe machinery. The firm fitted up buildings for the electric light when it was installed in Stratford. Twelve persons are employed in the business.
Mr. H. H. Tunbridge.