The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Wine and Spirit Merchants
Wine and Spirit Merchants.
Mr. A. Goldwater's Premises.
Humphries, S. L. and Co. (William Humphries), Wine and Spirit Merchants, Brougham Street, New Plymouth. This business was established in the fifties, by the late Dr. E. L. Humphries, who, in 1863, took his son, Mr. William Humphries, into partnership. When Dr. Humphries died, in 1869. Mr. Edward Humphries joined his brother in partnership, and the business of wine, spirit, and general merchants was conducted by the firm till 1888. The business was then taken over by Mr. Carrington, for a short period, and in 1892 was acquired by Messrs Humphries and Faulkner. In 1899 Mr. S. L. Humphries bought his partner's interest, and was joined, later on, by Mr. William Humphries, under the style of S. L. Humphries and Co. The firm's building stands on part of a quarter-acre section; it is of wood and iron, and has a large floorage space.
Mr. William Humphries, of the firm of S. L. Humphries and Co., was born in London, England, in the year 1843, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Sir Edward Paget,” which arrived in New Plymouth in 1851. He was for many years a member of the New Plymouth Borough Council, was a member of the New Plymouth Harbour Board, and he served through the Maori war as a volunteer. Mr. Humphries married a daughter of the late Mr. William Black, of New Plymouth, and has, surviving, three daughters and six sons.