The New Plymouth Parish Of The Anglican Church
includes the town and some of the surrounding districts, and is bounded by the parishes of Inglewood, Waitara, and Okato. St. Mary's church, which stands on a slope of Marsland Hill, overlooking the town, is of special historic interest, as having been intimately connected with the time of the Maori war. The foundation stone of the building was laid on the 25th of March, 1845, and the church was opened for divine worship on the 29th of December, 1846. The Rev. William Bolland was the first vicar of New Plymouth, and he was succeeded by the Rev. Henry Govett, afterwards Archdeacon Govett, who long used his influence for good in Taranaki. There are churches in connection with the parish of New Plymouth at Fitzroy, Bell Block, Moturoa, Omata, and Barrett Road, and services are held at other places, in
St. Mary's Church. Collis, photo.
halls and schoolrooms. The vicar of the parish is assisted by two curates.