The Taranaki County Council
came into being in 1877, at the commencement of the operation of the Counties Act. The county is divided into three ridings—Moa, Waitara, and Omata; of which the first and last return three members each, and the Waitara riding two members. The total area under the jurisdiction of the Council measures 583 square miles; and the capital value of rateable property in the county is £1,653,018, on which a general rate of three farthings in the pound is levied, besides a Hospital and Charitable Aid rate of one-eighth of a penny in the pound. The county endowments consist of 1323 acres of agricultural and grazing land, which brings in an income of about £100 per annum. On the 31st of March, 1906, the revenue for the previous year was shown to have been £8,651, and the expenditure £7,626. The county's loans amounted to £5071 for bridges, and £2754 for roads. These loans have been obtained under the Loans to Local Bodies Act. The offices of the county are situated in Queen Street, New Plymouth. Members for 1906: Messrs G. V. Tate (chairman). J. Brown, R. Stevens, F. Julian, Mark Hopson, C. Andrews, J. R. Hill, and G. A. Adlam. Mr. Robert Ellis, A.M.Z.A.A., is clerk and treasurer, and Mr. J. Skinner, C.E. engineer.
Mr. G. V. Tate,
Chairman of the Taranaki County Council, was born in 1850 at sea, near the Cape of Good Hope, on the ship “Phoebe Dunbar.” He was brought up from boyhood to agriculture on his father's farm, and now occupies 400 acres of beach land near Waitara. Besides store cattle, sheep, and horses, Mr. Tate grows grain extensively, and milks a large number of cows every day. He has always been an enthusiastic breeder of horses, and some very fine specimens of draught stock, bred on his estate, have graced the show ring, and secured several prizes. He was the first in the Taranaki district to make use of the double-furrow plough. As a settler he has always taken his share of local responsibilities, and is chairman of the Waitara West Road Board, president of the Taranaki Farmers' Club, and one of the oldest members of the Taranaki
Mr. G. V. Tate.
Agricultural Society. In fact, Mr. Tate is ever ready to take an effective part in any enterprise designed to promote the welfare of the district.
Mr. Robert Ellis,
Clerk of the Taranaki County Council, since October, 1905, is a native of Ross, Westland, where he was born in 1872. Prior to his appointment, he was for several years. Town Clerk of the borough of Inglewood. Mr. Ellis is (by examination) an Associate of the New Zealand Accountants' and Auditors' Association, and gained his certificate and membership at the examination of 1904.
Mr. Brownlow Horrocks,
who was a member of the Taranaki County Council for a number of years, is a son of the late Captain Charles Horrocks, of H.M. 15th Regiment of Foot, and great grandson of John Horrocks, M.P. for Preston, and founder of the firm of Horrocks, Miller and Co., cotton spinners. He was born at Ostend, Belgium, in 1851, and was educated there, at Bath, and in Germany, being originally intended for the Navy. He, however, went to the River Plate,
where he was for some time on a cattle ranch. The next few years, up to 1875, were passed by him in different parts of America, Germany, and England, and in that year he came to New Zealand by way of Australia, in which he spent some time. For a period of eight years he found employment with Messrs Stevens and Gorton, the well known stock auctioneers, at Bulls, Rangitikei. After leaving that firm, he entered into possession of Penwortham Farm, a property of 600 acres on the Junction Road, near New Plymouth. He married a daughter of Mr. W. R. E. Brown, of Wellington, sometime Registrar-General of New Zealand.