Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]



Stillwater , or, as it is sometimes called, Stillwater Junction, is nine miles distant from Greymouth, on the Grey-Reefton section of the New Zealand railways, and is at the junction of the Christchurch line, which is (1905) open to Otira. The railway station, which stands at an altitude of ninety-six feet above the level of the sea, is one mile distant from Brunnerton. The settlement is in the county of Grey, in the electorate of Grey, and in the provincial district of Westland. page 584 The Arnold river, which rises in Lake Brunner, joins the Grey at Stillwater. Sawmilling is carried on along the Otira line of railway, not far from the settlement, which has an hotel, a store, a post and telegraph office, and a public school with accommodation for one hundred pupils. At the census of 1901 there was no separate return of the population.

Stillwater Junction Railway Station . At Stillwater Junetion the Christchurch line (running as far as Otira in 1905) conjoins with the Grey-Reefton line. The buildings are substantial and commodious, and have a large goods shed and engine shed; and the station building contains a vestibule, a public office, a stationmaster's office, a storeroom, and a ladies' waiting room; and there is also a stationmaster's residence of six rooms. There is a tablet signal connection with Ngahere on the one side, and with Brunnerton on the other. The staff consists of a stationmaster and porter.

Mr. Edward Thomas Malloch , Stationmaster at Stillwater Junction, was born at Grangemouth, Firth of Forth, Scotland,
Ring, photo. Mr. E. T. Malloch.

Ring, photo. Mr. E. T. Malloch.

in the year 1875. He came to New Zealand at an early age, and was educated in Christchurch. Mr. Malloch entered the railway service as a cadet, and after serving at Addington, was for five years at Timaru, and for two years and six months at Christchurch. In December, 1904, he was appointed to Stillwater. Mr. Malloch is married, and has three children.

Stillwater Public School is situated two miles from Taylorville. The school was opened in the year 1888, with an attendance of eighty scholars, but at that time the Midland Railway headquarters were at Stillwater, and that accounted no doubt for the large attendance. Since the taking over of the line by the Government, and the removal of all the permanent staff to Greymouth, the school attendance has decreased, and now numbers only fifty pupils. There is accommodation for 100 scholars, and the school is under the jurisdiction of the Grey Education Board.

Mr. Charles Curtis , formerly Manager of the Victory Extended Gold Mining Company, at Brunnerton, was
Mr. and Mrs C. Curtis.

Mr. and Mrs C. Curtis.

born at Collingwood, Nelson, in 1861, and received his education at Greymouth. After leaying school, he was engaged in looking after the ferry at the Arnold Junction for many years. Mr. Curtis started mining when sixteen years of age, and worked at different places on the Buller, where he was fairly successful for twelve months. On leaving the West Coast, he engaged in prospecting in the North Island, but with no success. He accordingly returned to Greymouth and almost immediately commenced prospecting the Paparoa ranges, where he eventually discovered the now famous “Victory.” Mr. Curtis, who is married and has six children, now (1906) resides at Stillwater.