The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Ferguson's is a farming and grazing settlement in splendid timber country, nine miles from Ross, on the main south road, in the southern riding of the county of Westland, and in the electorate and provincial district of Westland. It is expected that, on the completion of the extension of the railway system of Westland to Ross, a considerable number of sawmills will be at work in the vicinity of the post and telegraph bureau at Ferguson's, as the local bush contains large quantities of red, white and silver pine. A large sluicing claim, known as McLeod's Terrace, which is situated about two miles to the north of Ferguson's, is owned by a limited liability company. The accommodation house in the district is owned by Mr. S. G. Ferguson, who also acts as postmaster. The population was not separately returned at the census of 1901.
The Post Office and the Telephone Bureau are conducted on the premises of Mr. Samuel George Ferguson. The building is of two stories, and contains eleven rooms. An accommodation house license has been issued to Mr. Ferguson, who supplies comfortable quarters and good fare at reasonable rates.
Mr. Samuel George Ferguson , J.P., after whom the district is named, is the local postmaster. He owns a farm of 185 acres, and has erected a handsome homestead, with all necessary outbuildings. Mr. Ferguson has also a run of 6000 acres on which he grazes sheep and cattle. He is further referred to as a member of the Westland County Council.