The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Ironfounders, Tinsmiths, etc
Ironfounders, Tinsmiths, etc.
Amberger, Philip, Tinsmith, Gasfitter, and General Ironmonger, Revell Street, Hokitika. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Hampden Street. Mr. Amberger's freehold premises have a frontage of twenty feet, with a depth of 100 feet, and the shop is fitted with double windows, and dust proof show cases. The workshop, in which four persons are employed, has a floor space of 1500 square feet, and contains all the plant necessary for carrying on an extensive business in every branch of the trade. Special attention is paid to the manufacture of all descriptions of tinware, baths, tanks, chimneys and mining fluming. A large stock of general and furnishing ironmongery is maintained. Mr. Amberger was born near Frankfort, Germany, in the year 1852, was apprenticed to his trade in his native land, and came out to New Zealand in 1870, by the ship “Halcione,” and landed at Wellington. For about eleven years he was in the employment of Mr. W. Heinz. He is a member of the Masonic Order, was formerly associated with the Oddfellows, and for about sixteen years was in the local fire brigade.
Mr. P. Amberger's Premises.
Mr. Thomas Burns , formerly in business as a general blacksmith, at the corner of Gibson's Quay and Tancred Street, Hokitika, successfully carried out contracts for the Westport and Hokitika Harbour Boards. Mr Burns afterwards disposed of his business to Mr. Cederman. He was born in New Glasgow, near Montreal, Canada, in 1839, and was there apprenticed to his trade. In the year 1856 he arrived in Victoria, Australia, by the ship “Rising Sun,” from Boston, and worked on the leading Victorian goldfields. In 1862, he crossed over to Gabriel's Gully, and in 1865 the West Coast “rush” attracted him. He conducted a successful business at Kanieri for many years, and also had a flourishing branch at Westport for some time. Mr. Burns was for some time a member of the Hospital Committee, and of the Oddfellows' Lodge, and the Hokitika Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
Mr. A. Cederman.
Mr. Cederman was born in the year 1870, at Riwaka, Nelson, where he was educated, and afterwards learned his trade with Messrs S. Luke and Sons, Wellington, where he served for a period of five years and six months. Subsequently, he was employed by Messrs A. and T. Burt, Dunedin, and assisted in erecting and altering page 515 dredges at Alexandra South. Later, Mr. Cederman erected a dredge at Waikaia, put up the first dredge at Waimamu, and erected a machine at Inch Valley. In the year 1900 he removed to the West Coast, where he put up a number of dredges, the last one being at Commissioner's Flat. Mr. Cederman married a daughter of Mr. Fred Hawkins, farmer, of Wellington, in the year 1897, and has one daughter and one son.
Davidson, G. and D. (George Davidson and Duncan Davidson), Engineers, Blacksmiths and Ironfounders, Hokitika. This business was established in the year 1865, in Revell Street, by Mr. George Davidson, who died in 1897, and has since been conducted by his sons, Messrs George Davidson and Duncan Davidson. In 1866, the business was removed to Bealey Street, where it stands on a freehold site which measures 1333 feet by 166 feet. The buildings are of wood and iron, and the engineering shop contains four lathes, two drilling machines, shaping, punching, shearing, slotting and bolt screwing machines. There is also a hack-saw machine, set of rollers, circular and band saws, and a finishing machine. The plant is driven by a four horse-power Tangye gas engine. The blacksmiths' shop contains three forges and a cupola blast furnace. All kinds of repairs are effected, and the firm manufactures sawmilling plant of all descriptions, and the patent geared log-hauling engine invented by Mr. George Davidson. Up to the early part of 1905, eight of these engines were already at work on the West Coast, and Messrs Davidson have fitted up various mills from Reefton southwards. About twelve persons are employed.
Ring, photo.Mr. G. Davidson.
Mr. Duncan Davidson , Junior Partner in the Hokitika Foundry, was born in the year 1875 at Hokitika. After leaving school, he learned engineering in the Hokitika Foundry, and subsequently joined his brother in partnership, on the death of their father. Mr. Davidson has been a member of the local fire brigade since 1897, and is a member of the local football club.
Heinz, William, Westland Sheet Metal and Tinware Works, Hokitika and Greymouth. This business was founded in the year 1868, by Mr. Heinz, in Revell Street. It is conducted in a large wood and iron building, which contains a shop, a workhouse, and an office. There is a large plant of the latest design for all classes of work, including plumbing, tinware, gasfitting, hot and cold water services, and the manufacture of sheet-metal pipes for mining purposes, Mr. Heinz being the first to manufacture these pipes on the West Coast. He is also engaged in ironmongering, dealing direct with the English and American manufacturers. The Greymouth branch is situated in Mackay Street, opposite the “Greymouth Star” office, and is managed by Mr. Emil Heinz, who learned his trade in New York, United States of America, and also holds diplomas of the New Zealand technical trade schools. Mr. Heinz was born in the year 1843, in Germany, where he went to school. He afterwards went to Australia, landed in Melbourne in 1858, and learned the trade of a tinsmith at Ballarat. He was attracted to New Zealand by the Gabriel's Gully rush in the year 1862, and after a short experience of mining, found employment at his trade in Dunedin. In 1864, Mr. Heinz went to Wakamarina, where he worked at his trade until 1865. He then removed to Hokitika, and became a member of the firm of John Newton and Co., in Revell Street. After selling his interest in the business, Mr. Heinz went to Victoria, Australia, and afterwards to Germany for a trip. In 1868, he returned to New Zealand, and founded his present business. Mr. Heinz has been a trustee of the Hospital Board, and was at one time secretary to the Benevolent Society. He married a daughter of the late Mr. P. Amberger, of Germany, in the year 1867, and has two sons. Mr. Heinz is further referred to as a member of the Hokitika Borough Council.
Mr. J. Jolly.