The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
The Hokitika Police Station was the first to be established on the West Coast. The building is of wood, and iron, and stands on part of a camp reserve at the corner of Sewell Street and Weld Street. There are also three cottages, occupied respectively by the sergeant and three constables, fronting Sewell Street. The district includes Hokitika, Stafford, Kanieri, Ross and Okarito, and extends as far as the Otira Gorge.
Sergeant William Folley has been in charge of the Hokitika Police District since January, 1903. He joined the Armed Constabulary force almost immediately after his arrival in New Zealand in 1879. Sergeant Folley served in many parts of the colony before he was appointed to Hokitika.
The Hokitika Gaol is about a mile distant from the centre of the town, and is situated on an elevated terrace at Seaview. The prison contains thirty cells, ten of which are in the female division. The average number of prisoners undergoing imprisonment at one time is about twelve. The female department is under the charge of a competent matron, Mrs M. Ryan, who has occupied the position since 1883. Mr. J. R. Poynton has been gaoler since the year 1900.