The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
For five years before the inception of the Borough Council, the public affairs of Blenheim were controlled by a Town Board. The first meeting of this body was held on the 25th of July, 1864, when the members were: Messrs James Sinclair (chairman), George Henderson, William Collie, Caleb Davis, and William Nosworthy. The subsequent chairmen were Messrs William Nosworthy and George Henderson. The last meeting of the Board was held on the 9th of July, 1868. Blenheim was constituted a borough under the Municipal Corporations Act, on the 6th of March, 1869, and on the 15th of the following May the first election of borough councillors took place. The following gentlemen, who had the honour of being elected members of the first Council, are mentioned in the order of the number of votes received by them: Messrs James Tucker Robinson, Frederick Litchfield, Henry Dodson, William Nosworthy, William Collie, John Mack Hutcheson, James Sinclair, Elijah Bythell, and James Edmund Dodson.
Mr. Thomas Smale was elected to the Blenheim Borough Council in 1889, and retained his seat until 1898, when he was forced to retire owing to pressure of business. During the nine years he was in the council, Mr. Smale was an active and thoughtful member, and ever ready to do all the good he could for the borough.
Mr. T. Smale.