Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]

Mary's Bay

Mary's Bay.

Homewood Station and Tourist Resort , Mary's Bay, Pelorus Sound. This property was first taken up under a lease from the Crown by Messrs Mills Bros., but was afterwards held for some years by Mr. Bond, and was acquired by the present proprietor, Mr. D. W. Foote, in the year 1903. It consists of 1182 acres of rough hilly land, and takes in the whole of the country surrounding the shores of Mary's Bay. “Homewood” possesses great natural beauties, as the steep hillsides, down to the water's edge, are covered with thick native bush, which, in fine weather, is beautifully reflected in the waters of the bay.! “Homewood,” as a sheep station, carries at present nearly 2000 sheep; but, on account of the scenic beauty of the district, Mr. Foote determined to establish a private holel, and to develop a tourist resort. As such “Homewood” already enjoys much public favour, and promises to become still more popular in the future. The climate is good, and the majority of the days throughout the year are bright and clear. “Homewood” is well sheltered; the district abounds in deer, pigs, pigeons, and quail; and there are fish of various kinds in the sea close at hand. Guns and ammunition can be hired at the house on reasonable terms, and a large stock of stores and provisions of all kinds is kept. There is a convenient wharf, and an oil-launch and several boats with fishing tackle are at the service of visitors. The house is situated about a chain from the water's edge, at the head of the bay, and about ten feet above the level of the beach. It is a one-storied wooden building containing about seventeen rooms with every modern convenience, and is surrounded by fine grounds. An excellent table is kept, the tariff is moderate, and the accommodation good. The comfort an I wellbeing of the guests are personally superintended by Mr. and Mrs. Foote. “Homewood” possesses a post, telegraph, and telephone office, with a regular mail service, and can be reached by oil-launch from either Picton or Havelock, in a few hours.

Mr. David William Foote , the Proprietor of “Homewood,” is the eldest son of Mr. J. D. Foote, of Wilson's
Macey, photo. Mr. D. W. Foote.

Macey, photo. Mr. D. W. Foote.

page 402 Bay, and was born at Picton on the 13th of October, 1879. He was educated by private tutors in the Pelorus Sound, and afterwards assisted his father at farming, until June, 1903, when he bought “Homewood.” Since then he has devoted himself to his private affairs, and especially to the interests of his boarding house, which he has already done so much to popularise. In May. 1905, Mr. Foote married Miss Laura Gertrude Stratford, formerly a schoolmistress in the service of the Marlborough Education Board.