(from the Maori “kai,” food, and “koura,” crayfish) is the name of a well-known town and district in southern Marlborough. The district is noted for its pre-eminent advantages as a pastoral country, and the town is recognised as being one of the most picturesque and healthy spots in New Zealand. It is often referred to as the Scarborough of the colony. Kaikoura lies between the sea and the Seaward Kaikouras or Lookeron Mountains, and at the back of the town the peninsula rises abruptly for one hundred feet, and affords splendid sites for dwelling-houses. The mountains close to the township rise to a great height, and are covered with snow for about nine months in the year. The view on a fine day is worth going many miles to see, and but for the ocean in the foreground, the visitor might imagine he was sojourning in Switzerland. There is a bi-weekly coach service between Kaikoura and Blenheim, ninety-six miles north, and there is also a tri-weekly coach service between the township and Culverden, the terminus of the railway from Christchurch Owing to the treacherous nature of the bar, only small steamers can trade to Kaikoura from Lyttelton and Wellington, between which there is a weekly service. The township was once noted for its whaling industry, which is still (1905) carried on to some extent, chiefly by Maoris and half-castes; and the whaling station is situated in the south bay. The average haul of late years has been two whales a season. Kaikoura has a post, telegraph, and money order office, a bank, and a daily newspaper. The religious bodies represented are Church of England, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic, each with a resident minister. There are many lodges and societies, a racing club, and a mounted troop of volunteers. The chief industries of the district consist in wool growing farming, co-operative dairying, fishing, flaxmilling, wool scouring and sawmilling.
The Kaikoura County Council
was constituted under the original Counties Act in the year 1876. The county has an area of 673 square miles with 524 holdings and 329 ratepayers, 227 miles of formed roads, and two miles of formed footpath in the township and suburbs. The rateable capital value of property is £481,651, and the improvements are valued at £127,257. The land under cultivation is estimated at over 100,000 acres. The county has borrowed £3,482 under the Loans to Local Bodies Act; the general rate is one penny in the £, a rate of one half-penny being levied within the boundaries of the river board district; and the total revenue is £2,500. There are four licensed houses, all in the township. The wharf at the township is vested in trustees, and is leased at a rental of £200 a year. At the census of 1901, the county had a population of 1,760.
Mr. James Boyd
, who represents the Suburban riding of the Kaikoura County Council, was elected chairman of the Council in March 1905. He is also the representative of the Domain Board and the Board of Health for the Kaikoura riding; a member of the Suburban school committee; and is a member of the Masonic Lodge Kaikoura, No. 60, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Boyd is a native of Donegal,
Kaikoura, with the Ranges in the Distance.
Ireland, and arrived in New Zealand in the year 1877
Councillor Patrick Keenan
was elected to the Kaikoura County Council in the year 1899. He is a native of Ulster, Ireland, came out to New Zealand in 1863, in the ship “Queen,” and landed in Auckland. Mr. Keenan settled in Kaikoura in 1867, and has since been engaged in farming.
Councillor Christopher Smith
was first elected to the Kaikoura County Council in 1899. He is also a member of the committee of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pasetoral Association.
Councillor Cumming Haswell
was elected a member of the Kaikoura County Council in the year 1901, for the Peninsula riding. He was born in Oamaru in 1869, and is a son of the late Mr. Robert Haswell, sometime schoolmaster at Oamaru, Kaikoura, and other places. After leaving school, Mr. Haswell spent two years and six months in the Kaikoura telegraph office. He then left the public service to become clerk to his father, who had started an auctioneers' business in Kaikoura. Later, Mr. Haswell served an apprenticeship to the building trade, and subsequently acted as foreman builder for Mr. W. Cooke, Kaikoura, a position he held for seven years, during which he superintended the erection of the Church of England, and other important buildings. In 1903, Mr. Haswell started in business for himself, and has since done some important work in the township, including the erection of the Bank of New Zealand and the Town School, which is one of the largest buildings in Kaikoura. He is chairman of the committee formed for the purpose of establishing a Town Board, was for five years a member of the Town School committee, and has for many years been identified with all local sports and athletic meetings. Mr. Haswell is an Oddfellow of many years' standing, and has passed through all the chairs of his Lodge. He married a daughter of the Rev. J. Rapley, St. Albans, Christchurch, in November, 1899, and has one son and one daughter.
Councillor Francis James Monk
was elected, in November, 1902, for the Clarence, riding of the Kaikoura County Council. He was born in the year 1874, at the Conway. Marlborough, where he was educated, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Monk holds 640 acres under a lease in perpetuity, at Puhi Puhi, where he has a modern residence, and he has also a small farm at Kaikoura. He depastures about 1250 sheep, and has been most successful in his operations. Mr. Monk is a member of the Kaikoura Racing Club, a member of the committee of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and acts
as starter and handicapper for the wood-chopping events held under the auspices of the Bushmen's Athletic Club. Formerly, he took an active interest in athletics, cricket and football, and has been a successful competitor in several footraces. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Hamilton, of Kaikoura, in the year 1904.
Councillor George H. B. Smith
was elected in the year 1902 as one of the representatives of the Clarence riding of the Kaikoura County Council. He was born in the Awatere, Marlborough, in 1862, and is a son of Mr. W. J. Smith, an old settler of the province. Mr. Smith is engaged in sheepfarming, and has a run of 3000 acres at Puhi Puhi, where he depastures 1500 Merino and English Leicester crossbreds. He resides in Kaikoura, where he manages a freehold property of 140 acres for his mother. Mr. Smith has open for many years a member of the Kaikoura Racing Club, of which he has been a steward, is chairman of the Collie Dog Club, a member of the committee of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a director of the local dairy company. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Kaikoura. No. 60, New Zealand Constitution, and he is also a member of the local Lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Smith married Miss Sherry in the year 1882, and has two sons and four daughters.
Councillor Bernard Mackle
was elected a member of the Kaikoura County Council in the year 1904. He was born in the North of Ireland, and arrived in New Zealand in 1876, in the ship “Leicester.” Mr. Mackle settled in Kaikoura in 1885, and is engaged in agricultural pursuits.
Councillor John McInnes
was elected to the Kaikoura County Council in April, 1905. He has served for upwards of thirty years on the local school committee, and was one of the founders of the Kaikoura Public Library. Mr. McInnes, who is the oldest settler in Kaikoura, was born at Eaglesham. Renfrewshire, Scotland, on the 19th of July, 1824, and took up his residence in Kaikoura in 1859, just after arriving in New Zealand.
Councillor Edmund Oscar Palmer
was elected a member of the Kaikoura County Council in April, 1905. He has always taken an active interest in the welfare of the district, and was one of the promoters of the local dairy factory.
Mr. J. C. McLaughlan
was appointed Clerk of the Kaikoura County Council in December, 1902, and became inspector early in 1905. He is a native of Kaikoura, and a member of the local Mounted Rifles.
Mr. George Edmund Parsons
, who was for some years a member of
the Kaikoura County Council, was born in Nelson in the year 1869, and is a son of Mr. Estcourt Parsons, of Kaikoura. He has followed a farming
life ever since he left school, and has recently bought the Camden and Jordan sheep runs, in the Awatere.
Mr. Edward Buckeridge
, formerly Government Surveyor, Kaikoura, joined the service at Nelson in 1884, and remained there till 1889, when he was transferred to Taranaki, where he served for seven years. He entered on
his duties at Kaikoura, in February, 1896. Mr. Buckeridge was born at Nelson in 1863, and is a son of Mr. George Buckeridge, Hampden Street, Nelson. He was educated at Nelson College, and is now (1905) farming at Kawhia, in the North Island.
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church
stands on the point midway between the Esplanade and the west end of Kaikoura. It commands an excellent view of the harbour, and the church, Sunday school and manse are all situated on an acre section. The church has seating accommodation for it congregation of 250 persons. It was opened on the 2nd of November, 1879, by the Rev. James Paterson, of Wellington. There are close on 400 adherents in the district, and services are attended by full congregations. The church is entirely free from debt, and the managers have paid for even the recent additions, which cost £277, and also for a pipe organ, constructed in Christchurch, at a cost of £156. The Sunday school is a most substantial concrete building, and was erected in 1892 at a cost of £500. It is fitted up to accommodate from 200 to 250 scholars, and there are close on 100 children in attendance. There is a second church at Kowai, four miles from Kaikoura, and services are held there on Sunday afternoon. It has seating accommodation for 150 persons.
The Rev. William McAra,
the Minister in charge, began the work in connection with the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand in Kaikoura in November, 1877. Mr. McAra was born in Perthshire, Scotland, in
1847, educated at the Glasgow University, and brought up to the ministry of the Presbyterian Church. Before coming to New Zealand, by the ship “City of Auckland,” he was for two years missionary at the Wynd Free Church, Glasgow. After a short stay in Auckland, Mr. McAra, was appointed to his present duties, which he has worthily fulfilled. He was one of the founders of the temperance movement in the district, and has laboured for that cause. Mr. McAra also assisted to form the Mutual Improvement Society, and has at all times taken a keen interest in its management.
The Church of the Sacred Heart
, Kaikoura. The church building measures 73 feet by 30 feet, and is capable of seating from 300 to 400 worshippers. It was erected at a cost of £1000. The Roman Catholic denomination was one of the first to open a church at Kaikoura, and prior to that had a building at Kowai. The congregation numbers, about 340, men, women, and children, and the church district extends from the Clarence river on the north to the Conway in the south. A school, which has been established some years, is attended by sixty children. The Rev. Father John Golden has been parish priest since the year 1900.
The “Kaikoura Star”
was established by Mr. George Renner in 1880. It is a daily evening paper and is the advertising medium for South Marlborough and North Canterbury, through which it circulates from Awatere in the north to Culverden and Cheviot in the south. Mr. W. B. Ingram is now (1905) the owner.
Mr. George Renner
, Formerly the proprietor of the “Kaikoura Star,” was born in England, and arrived in Nelson in 1855. He was in the Post and Telegraph Department for years, and then took up journalism. In 1877, he was on the “Bruce Herald,” Otago, and subsequenty had charge of the “Mataura Ensign” from its first publication. Before settling at Kaikoura, Mr. Renner was associated as editor with the “Clutha Times,” and “Ellesmere Advertiser.” He took a hand in all public matters at Kaikoura; was one of the founders, and also chairman and secretary of the Kaikoura Settlers' Association: had been associated with the Ashley licensing committee from 1894: was chairman of the Town School committee, and prominently associated with racing, cricket and football. Mr. Renner is a Freemason of many years' standing. After leaving Kaikoura, he became proprietor of the “Pahiatua Era,” in the Wellington district.
McIver, Robert D.,
Barrister and Solicitor, West End, Kaikoura. Established 1891. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. McIver is the only solicitor in practice between Blenheim and Cheviot. He passed as a barrister in 1890, and was admitted to the Bar by Mr. Justice Edwards. Mr. McIver was born in the Wairau Valley, and educated at Renwick and at Nelson College. He was articled, first to Mr. Alfred Rogers, and afterwards to Messrs Sinclair and McCallum, with whom he remained seven years. Mr. McIver is secretary of the Kaikoura Rifle and Tennis Clubs.
Pharmaceutical Chemist, West End, Kaikoura. Established in 1890. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Burland, being the only chemist practising between Blenheim and Cheviot, has succeeded in building up a lucrative business. The premises are tastefully fitted up, and the stock is large and up-to-date in every respect. Mr. Burland was born at Goole House, County Carlow, Ireland, on the 14th of November, 1859, and was educated under the late Mr. James Earl, M.A., London University, at his private school. In 1875, he passed his arts examinations at Apothecaries' Hall, Ireland, and the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, and gained first and sixth place respectively. He was apprenticed for four years to Dr. D. D. Tate, resident medical officer to the North Dublin Union, and subsequently occupied the position of assistant at that institution, which invariably sheltered nearly 3000 inmates. Later on, he found employment with the firm of Hamilton Long and Co., Dublin, and occupied responsible positions. An accident to his only brother rendered his return to the home at Carlow necessary, and for eight years he successfully
managed a farm of over 300 acres for his mother. When the property was disposed of, Mr. Burland decided to come to New Zealand, and arrived in Wellington in November, 1888. He acted as dispenser for Mr. George Mee, Wellington, till 1890, when he removed to Kaikoura. Mr. Burland has always been a lover of good dogs, and during his residence in Ireland he devoted a considerable amount of his spare time to coursing, and owned well bred dogs. Since settling in Kaikoura he has bred and exhibited
collies, and in conjunction with his partner, Mr. R. Wark, of Christchurch, has succeeded in breeding such collies as the champion, “Armsbearer,” considered by competent judges to be the best dog ever bred south of the equator, and estimated by an English expert who saw “Armsbearer” at the Christchurch show, to be worth £1000. Mr. Burland has erected perfect kennels at Kaikoura, where he has some of the choicest collies in the world. Of late years, Mr. Burland has patronised the turf. He owns some well bred promising youngsters, and won the Kaikoura County Cup with “Morgan” (by Burlington, dam, Fickle). Mr. Burland acted as secretary of the Kaikoura Hack Racing Club for several years. He is also clerk of the Kaikoura River Board, and of the Cemetery Board of Trustees.
Baker and Confectioner, Torquay Street, Kaikoura. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This thriving little business was founded by Mr. Collins in 1892. Two delivery carts are kept steadily employed throughout a radius of ten miles, and the coach supplies some of Mr. Collins' customers, who reside in the Waian district.
His reputation as a confectioner is so good that his services as a caterer are much in request. Tropical fruits and colonial fruits in their season are on sale in Mr. Collins' well-kept shop, as well as sweets and confectionery. Mr. Collins was born in the County of Durham, England, and came out to New Zealand with his parents when he was ten years of age. The family resided for some time in the Heathcote Valley, and Mr. Collins learned his trade in Christchurch, where he gained experience in four different shops.
Mr. W. Morris' Premises.
The Kaikoura Co-Operative Dairy Company, Limited
, Kaikoura. This company was registered in 1894 with a capital of 2000 shares of 20s each. The first issue of 1000 shares was nearly all taken up by the settlers of the district, and shares are fully paid up. The factory is situated in the centre of Kaikoura Suburban, and is about three miles from the township. Its plant is complete and up-to-date, and the total cost of buildings, plant, and machinery has been about £1000. For years shareholders have received dividends at the rate of six per cent, per annum, and the surplus of profits has been distributed to milk suppliers as bonuses, proportionate to the quantity supplied. The average price paid for milk is 3½d per gallon, and the average number of cows milked for the factory is about 300, owned by about thirty-five suppliers. The manufacture of cheese has been at the rate of about seventy tons per annum, and owing to its high standard of excellence, there is no difficulty in disposing of it; in fact, orders for double the quantity available are received. The factory's cheese always commands, and has commanded, top prices in the English and colonial markets, and took first prizes in 1895 at the Canterbury Metropolitan Show, and again in November. 1898, at the same exhibition. Mr. J. T. Graham, the manager, has established his reputation as a good cheesemaker, and gain-his experience at the Stirling factory under Mr. William Sawers. The secretary of the company is Mr. J. N. Flower.
Tailor, Clothier, and Outfitter, The Esplanade, Kaikoura. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business which was the first of its kind in the district,
was founded by the present proprietor in 1885. Four men are continually employed in the business, which is the leading one in Kaikoura. Mr. Morris does a very extensive trade, many of his patrons residing as far away as sixty or seventy miles. For style, fit and finish he maintains that he is second to none in the province of Marlborough. Owing to the expansion of trade Mr. Morris finds it necessary to build additions to his premises to give the necessary room. Mr. Morris followed his trade in London for several years, and arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Surat” on the 1st of January, 1874. Before going to Kaikoura he was at his trade at Christchurch and Leeston, and was for ten years at Invercargill. Mr. Morris is a strong supporter of prohibition, and attributes his success as a tradesman to his being a total abstainer.
Stanlake, Henry John,
Tailor, West End, Kaikoura. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Stanlake does a good steady business, which is gradually increasing throughout the whole of the Kaikoura district. He carries a good assortment of English and colonial tweeds, and also a full stock of
serges, vicunas, homespuns, Bannockburns, etc. Mr. Stanlake is well supplied with all English tailoring journals, and can turn out all kinds of goods in the latest styles and fashions. He was born in Exeter, England, in 1862, served three years to his trade at Home, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Tainut,” in 1882. After following his trade for about eighteen months at Lyttelton and Christchurch, he went to the North Island, and put in a year or two at Masterton. He then visited England, where he was married, but returned to Masterton, whence he removed to Kaikoura in 1896, and has gradually worked up a steady business. Mr. Stanlake is secretary of the Kaikoura Racing Club, of which he was one of the founders, and has all along taken a prominent part in its management.
(S. Binney, proprietor), Beach Road, Kaikoura. The “Adelphi” is the only hotel at the west end of Kaikoura, and as it is the first house met by the traveller, he, as a rule, makes it his temporary abode. The house is two stories high, and contains twenty-four rooms, seventeen of which are bedrooms. The dining room is large and lofty, with seats for fifty persons; the five sitting
The late Mr. E. Idle.
rooms are cosy and convenient, and the billiard room contains one of Alcock's full-sized tables. There is also a large sample room. By reason of its good name, and the popularity of its host, the “Adelphi” commands a large share of patronage from the country settlers and travelling public.
Mrs M. Idle, widow of Mr. E. Idle, took over the “Adelphi” in 1895. Mr. and Mrs Idle conducted the Jollie's Pass Hotel, Hamner Plains, for six years, where they were well-known and highly respected. Mr. Idle died on the 25th of July, 1897. He was a personal friend of the late Mr. Warner, the well known Christchurch hotelkeeper, who was accidentally drowned at New Brighton. Mrs Idle who married again, has left the hotel, and is now (1905) the wife of Mr. L. J. Payne, farmer, Kaikoura.
Mr. A. J. Prior
, formerly Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, Kaikoura, was born in Norfolk, England, in 1859, and when an infant came to New Zealand by the ship “Monarch.” He subsequently spent some years in Australia, but returned to New Zealand, and took to station life near Southbridge, in Canterbury. In 1887, he became a resident of Marlborough, where he followed various pursuits. Mr. Prior was vice-president of the Kaikoura Football Club, and steward of the Racing Club. He died in the year 1903.
General Blacksmith, Farrier, Coachbuilder, and Wheelwright, West End, Kaikoura. Established 1863. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Gray's shop has
a frontage of 50 feet, and is 50 feet deep. Three blacksmiths and one wheelwright are constantly employed, and extra assistants are required during the summer months. Mr. Gray is an importer of waggons, drays, and traps of all descriptions, and has also built
several station waggons. He has a very complete plant, which is up to date in every respect, and he is accordingly enabled to undertake all kinds of repairs to agricultural implements, etc. A large amount of work for stations is done at his shop. Mr. Gray was born in Berwickshire, Scotland, in 1839, and when fifteen years of age he was apprenticed to his present trade. He came to New Zealand in 1861, by the ship “Phoebe Dunbar,” and went to the Otago goldfields. Thence he removed to Wakamarina, but meeting with bad luck, he walked to Kaikoura, where he found employment in the erection of a small wharf. He has resided there ever since, and remembers when there were only a tworoomed cottage and a Maori pa on the “corner.” Mrs Gray is a daughter of the late Mr. J. Evans, of Wellington.
Ironmonger, Builder and Contractor, The Esplanade, Kaikoura. Mr. Cooke has been established as a painter since the year 1884, and as a dealer in hardware since 1887. He carries on a large trade, and employs ten persons constantly, and keeps a heavy stock of ironmongery, builders' furnishings, cutlery and electro plated ware. Mr. Cooke was born at Leicester, England, in 1858, and came to New Zealand in
1874. He was on the West Coast for some years, and there served his apprenticeship as a painter. Mr. Cooke has been in Kaikoura for nearly twenty-four years, and was for a time a member of the County Council.
Laugesen, Louis, Junior,
Cycle Agent and Repairer, formerly of Kaikoura, but now (1905) of Cheviot, was born in Denmark, and came to Canterbury in the ship “Crusader,” in 1872: was in the Oxford and Amuri districts as a partner in the firm of Laugesen and Sons till 1808, when he joined Messrs Cooke and Co. as manager of their cycle business at Kaikoura. He is now (1905) in business at Cheviot.
See page451Mr. L. Laugesen, Junior.
Flower, Frederick H.,
Wholesale and Retail Storekeeper, also Flaxmiller and Woolscourer, Beach Road, Kaikoura. Agent for s.s. “Wakatu,” Victoria Fire Insurance Company, Liverpool and London and Globe Insurance Company, Levin and Co., Wellington, Wood Bros., Christchurch, Pyne and Co., Christchurch. Established about 1874. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business, which was taken over by Mr. Flower in 1893, is carried on in a two-storey building 28 feet by 45 feet, and the section has a
The Kaikoura Esplanade and Township in 1898.
frontage of 150 feet. A large stock of general goods is kept, and the proprietor does one of the best businesses in Kaikoura. Two spring carts and a four-wheeled conveyance are kept constantly on the road, and thirty persons are employed at the store, flaxmills, and wool scouring works. The mills turn out fifteen tons of hemp per month. Mr. Flower was born in Auckland in 1868, and is a son of
Mr. J. N. Flower, of Kaikoura. He was educated at Auckland, Foxton, and Kaikoura, and worked for twelve years in the store, which is now his property, and he has largely increased the business since 1893. Mrs Flower is a daughter of Mr. W. Dorman, of Springheld.
. Mr. Haswell formerly carried on business as a general storekeeper and produce merchant at the corner of the Esplanade and Brighton Street, Kaikoura. The business he owned had been established in the year 1883, and was taken over by him in 1896. It was carried on in a two-storied building, with extensive frontages to the Esplanade and Brighton Street. Mr. Haswell was born on the West Coast in 1874. His parents settled at Kaikoura nine years later, and he was for five years in the local post office. Mr. Haswell identified himself with athletic sports, and was associated with the Kaikoura Mutual Improvement Society. He is now (1905) a storekeeper at Feilding in the North Island.
Kaikoura Steam Flaxmills
. (F. H. Flower, proprietor; J. G. Garratt, manager), Beach Road, Kaikoura. Established 1898. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This mill gives employment to twenty-five persons, eleven of whom are engaged in the mill. The weekly output is five tons of hemp, which is disposed of in Wellington. The fibre is classed “fair average quality.” A McLaren eight horse-power steam engine drives the plant, which is complete in every respect.
Mr. J. G. Garratt.
Laugesen and Sons
(Louis Laugesen and William Laugesen), Sawmillers and Timber Merchants, Puhipuhi, Kaikoura. Established in 1892: removed to present site in 1898. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. The machinery of the mill consists of twin circular saws and two others, including planing and moulding machines, and is driven by an eight horse-power portable steam engine, by Hornsby. The output runs from 2000 to 3000 feet per diem. Rimu, matai, and totara are the timbers cut, and the produce is shipped from Kaikoura to Lyttelton. From ten to twelve men are employed in connection with the mill. The firm has successfully carried on the industry for the past seventeen years at Amuri and Oxford.
The Clarence Estate
—comprizing 130,000 acres, 16.000 of which are freehold, and the balance held under a twenty-one years' lease from the Government—is administered by the Assets Realisation Board. The homestead, known as “The Reserve,” is situated fifteen miles south of Kaikoura, on the Kaikoura-Wairau road. A considerable area of the estate is ploughable. The climate and soil of the Clarence valley is most suitable for fruit growing, and the quality of oats grown there cannot be surpassed in New Zealand. At present (1905) there are 23,000 sheep on the estate, which are all Merinos except 1000 half bred Leicester Merino breeding ewes; but it is capable of carrying from twenty-eight to thirty thousand Merinos in its present state. As the
country takes English grass well, a great improvement can be made by surface sowing. There is a frontage to the Clarence river of thirty miles. The out station, known as “Quail Flat,” is sixteen miles distant from the homestead. There are comfortable whares for the employees at both places.
Mr. Charles Robert Caverhill
, Manager of the Clarence estate, was born at Hawkeswood, Amuri, and is the third son of the late Mr. John Scott Caverhill, who in the early days owned Motunau,
Cheviot, Hawkeswood and Highfield stations. Mr. Caverhill first joined the Assets Realisation Board at Motoa estate, Foxton, where he remained until the property was sold. He is a member of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
Greenburn Flat and Cator's Peaks Runs
, Kaikoura; Napoleon Run, Kekerangu; Messrs Wiffen Brothers, proprietors. Greenburn Flat is about sixteen miles south of Kaikoura, on the main south road, and is a property of 380 acres, held under a lease-in-perpetuity from the Government. When properly cleared of manuka scrub and flax, the land will carry 1000 sheep. The land is flat and of first class quality, and is well adapted for the cultivation of all root crops and cereals. Oats have yielded as high as seventy-five bushels to the acre on the property. It is well watered by the Greenburn river and two creeks, and is entirely free from rabbits. A modern eight-roomed residence has been erected, and other buildings include a four-roomed cottage, a large stable and chaff house, and an L-shaped woolshed, which has accommodation for six shearers.
is situated at the head of the Spey river, five miles from Greenburn Flat, via Tukutukuiwi road. It is a Government property of 2836 acres, held on a twenty-one years' lease, with option of renewal. There were 475 applicants for this desirable property, which was drawn by ballot by Mr. H. A. Wiffen. The land, which is of sandstone formation, and of very fair quality, is well watered by the river Spey and its tributaries. The improvements include a two-roomed cottage and sheep yards, and several subdivision fences are in course of erection on the property. At the present time (1905) about 2000 halfbred sheep are depastured, but with the ploughing of about 700 acres, and further surface sowing, the property should be capable of carrying 3000 sheep.
is situated about two miles from Kekerangu. and is a Government property held under a twenty-one years' lease, with option of renewal. It consists of 2000 acres of first class land of limestone formation, about 1400 acres of which is open country, the balance being light bush; and is well watered by the Kekerangu river and other streams. Its present carrying capacity is from 1200 to 1500 sheep. This run was drawn by ballot by Mr. A. E. A. Wiffen, on the 25th of September, 1905. There were 300 other applicants for the block.
Mr. Arthur Ernest Alfred Wiffen
was born at Stanstead, Essex, England, in the year 1873, and was educated at the Grammar School, Cheltenham; West's Collegiate School at Royston, Cambridgeshire, England, and at the Christchurch Boys' High School, New Zealand. He is a son of Mr. Arthur Wiffen, of Blenheim, and came to
New Zealand in 1888. After a short time spent at the Boy's High School, in Christchurch, Mr. Wiffen started to gain experience in sheepfarming on his father's property, situated on the Port Hills, Canterbury, but subsequently went to Hokitika. where he opened a business, which he disposed of shortly after in order to join his brother in taking up some land near Blenheim. He then went to Duncdin for a time, where he was bookkeeper, grain-sampler, and buyer for the Otago Malting Company. Mr. Wiffen is a member of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and of the Sheepowners' Association. He married a daughter of Mr. Mark Sinclair, of Dunedin, in September, 1899, and has one daughter.
Mr. Hubert Arthur Wiffen
was born at Donnington Hall, Newbury, Berkshire, England, on the 21st of September, 1879. and was educated at the Cheltenham Grammar School, England, and at Warwick House School, and the Boys' High School, Christchurch, New Zealand. For several years he was in partnership with his brothers in a sheep run at Mount Riley, Marlborough, where he remained until drawing by ballot his present
run, which he is working in conjunction with his brother, Mr. Arthur Wiffen. Mr. Wiffen is a member of the
Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and of the Sheepowners' Association.
. This property consists of 5,000 acres of freehold and 12,000 acres of leasehold land, and is owned by Mr. Charles Wood, who took it over when the original Swyncombe estate was divided in 1887. The leasehold portion carries 2000 sheep, and the freehold about 6,500, and is stocked with the progeny of Merino ewes and English Leicester rams, aithough only Merino wethers are depastured on the back country. The run has been fenced and subdivided, twenty-four miles having been put up on the freehold and about nine miles of cross fencing on the leasehold. Of the freehold area, 3000 acres consist for the most part of rich agricultural land, which will grow anything. The country is open, with a few gullies, and there is no lack of water. Oats for feed and turnips for the winter months are grown. The station is well supplied with implements, including shearing machines, oil engine, steam chaffcutter, reaper and binder, drain digging and rotary disc ploughs, seed drills, etc. The two-storey residence originally erected on the property was considerably enlarged and fitted up on modern lines in May, 1898. A large orchard has been planted, and two gardens fully stocked with small fruits, which give phenomenal yields, afford convincing proof of the fertility of the soil.
Mr. Charles Wood
, of Lynton Downs, settled at Swyncombe in 1882, and five years later took over Lynton Downs. He was born in Christchurch in 1863, and is a son of the late Mr. W. D. Wood. After spending two years and a half at Lincoln College, of which he was one of the first students, he devoted his attention to station outies. Mr. Wood has been chairman of the Kaikoura. Dairy Factory since its inception, and, in 1889, he was elected a member of the County Council, of which he was for some time chairman. Mrs Wood is a daughter of Mr. J. N. Flower, formerly of the Bank of New Zealand.
The Residence, Lynton Downs.
Mount Fyffe Station
was originally owned by Mr. George Fyffe, and was subsequently acquired by Messrs Inglis and Collyns, who disposed of it in the year 1892, to the present proprietor, Mr. Angus Kennedy. This property is bounded by the Hapuku and Kohai rivers, and comprises 2,500 acres of freehold land, and 12,000 acres held on a twenty-one years' lease from the Government. Two thousand five hundred half-and-cross-bred Leicester sheep are depastured, but the run is capable of carrying upwards of 4000 sheep. About 900 acres of the property are ploughable, and oats have averaged as high as sixty bushels to the acre. The homestead, “Rockwood,” is a freehold property of 100 acres, adjacent to the run. The dwelling-house is a handsome two-storied modern building, containing over twenty large rooms, and was erected by Mr. Collyns.
, Kaikoura, is a leasehold property of 9,530 acres of mountainous land. The higher peaks are covered with snow nearly all the year round, and are of no use for grazing purposes. The run is capable of carrying about 1000 sheep, but is at present (1905) used only as a grazing ground for a mob of 200 cattle.
Mr. Angus Kennedy
was born at Corrybeg, Inverness-shire, Scotland, where he was educated, and was brought up to a sheepfarming life. He came to New Zealand in the year 1876, in the ship “Timaru,” and landed at Port Chalmers. Thence he went straight to Kaikoura, and was engaged in shepherding for Mr. Bullen
for sixteen years, after which he acquired his present properties. Mr. Kennedy has represented the Conway
riding in the Kaikoura County Council, is a member of the local Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and
as a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Kaikoura. Mr. Kennedy married a daughter of Mrs R. McDonald, of Kohai, Kaikoura, in the year 1882, and has two sons and four daughters.
, Kaikoura. This property, originally 9,500 acres, was first taken up about the year 1854 by Captain George Rock Keene, who disposed of it in 1882 to Mr. W. D. Wood, of Canterbury. When Mr. Wood died, in 1904, the estate was cut up, and Mr. W. B. Andrew, of Park Farm,
Swyncombe Homestead in 1905.
Greenpark, Canterbury, bought the portion known as “Swyncombe,” and installed his son, Mr. Samuel Andrew,
as manager of the property. There are 2700 acres, of which fully two-thirds are ploughable; including 600 acres of heavy reclaimed swamp land, of exceptional fertility. The stock at present (1905) includes 1800 breeding ewes, of which about 600 are Merinos, and the rest are three-quarter bred Merino-Leicesters, and there is a flock of 500 mixed hoggets and wethers. The run, when properly cleared and in working order, is capable of stocking three sheep to the acre. The property is well watered, and the rabbits have been kept well in hand, with the aid of the large amount of rabbit proof fencing that has been erected. The homestead is about six miles from Kaikoura, on the main south road. It is the intention of the new proprietor to erect a modern homestead and new outbuildings, and also to effect other improvements.
Mr. Samuel Andrew
, of “Swyncombe,” Kaikoura, was born at Park Farm, Greenpark, Canterbury, in the year 1880, and is the son of Mr. W. B. Andrew, a well-known and successful farmer of that district. After serveral years spent in gaining experience in agriculture and sheepfarming at Greenpark, Mr. Andrew was placed by his father in charge of “Swyncombe.” He is a member of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
is a property of 9140 acres of freehold land, situated on the east coast of Kaikoura. In conjunction with. The Shades property it was taken up about the year 1857, by the late Mr. F. W. Trolove, in company with the late Dr. Shaw. Two or three years later, the partnership was dissolved, and Dr. Shaw retained “The Shades,” and Mr. Trolove “Woodbank.” The property was managed by Mr. T. Hall until 1885, when, after the death of Mr. Trolove, his only son, Mr. Peter Trolove, resided on the run. Mr. A. J. Murray, the present proprietor, acquired the
property in January, 1900, “Wood-bank” is bounded on three sides by water, and has only about four miles of boundary fencing, which separates it from a small grazing run on the north. Almost the whole of the land is open country, with about thirty miles of subdivision fencing, half of which is wire netting. There are about 1500 acres of first-class agricultural land, capable of turning out excellent crops of either grain or roots. On an average, about 100 acres of land are laid down in turnips, and fifty acres in oats. Over 8000 halfbred Leicester and Merino sheep graze on the run; and at present (1905) the stock includes about 250 head of cattle. The property, which runs along the main south road for about five miles, gives steady employment to from six to eight persons.
It is all well watered for stock purposes, and grows excellent cocksfoot. Rabbits, which were formerly numerous, are now kept well under control, the result of constant attention. The buildings, considering that some of them are forty years old, are in a good state of preservation.
Mr. Arthur John Murray
was born at Greenpark, Canterbury, in the year 1873, and is a son of Mr. J. G. Murray, of Greenpark. He was educated at Warwick House and Lincoln College, and after five years spent with his father, purchased his present holding. Mr. Murray is a vice-president of the Kaikoura Agricultural and
Pastoral Association; a member of the Sheepowners' Association; a life member of the Canterbury and Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Associations; chairman of the Clarence Bridge school committee, and also a Justice of the Peace. He was for some time lieatenant in the Kaikoura Mounted Rifles. In April, 1904, he married a daughter of Mrs J. V. Ross, of Christchurch.
Mr. Peter Trolove
was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1864, and came New Zealand with his parents at an early age He was educated at Nelson College, and afterwards entered the office of Messrs Fell Brothers, Blenheim, and left their employment about twelve months later to reside at “Woodbank.” Mr. Trolove now (1905) resides in Hoon Hay road, Spreydon, Christchurch.
was born at Boston, Lineolnshire, England, and was brought up to the medical profession. During the last twenty years of his life, he travelled all over the world, and first visited New Zealand about the year 1860.
The Late Dr. Shaw.
Dr. Shaw was uncle of the late Mr. Frederick Trolove, who, when he came to the colony in 1857, was assisted by Dr. Shaw to take up land. Dr. Shaw revisited New Zealand on several occasions subsequent to 1860, and while in the Colony he generally spent most of his time in Nelson. Whenever it was posbible Dr. Shaw made his journeys on foot, as he was a devoted lover of walking, and a noteu pedestrian. He died in England about 1884.
Mr. Frederick William Trolove
sometime of Woodbank,” Marlborough, was born in Lincolnshire, in 1832, and was brought up to farming. He landed in New Zealand about 1857, and first took up “Middlehurst” in the Awatere, a station of about 10,000 acres, but owing to the severity of the weather, soon relinquished it. Acting upon information supplied by an old whaler, named “Black Jack White,” that the country from the Ure river to the mouth of the Clarence was open for settlement, he went thither, but found that a shepherd was already in possession; he, therefore, moved onward, and eventually settled to the south of the Kekerangu river, where he took up land in conjunction with the late Dr. Shaw. The holding extended from Kekerangu to the Clarence, and included “Woodbank” and “The Shades.” About 1865, Mr. Trolove sold a portion of the present Kekerangu frontage to Mr. Tetley, and in 1869, when Mr. Trolove and Dr. Shaw dissolved partnership, the property was divided into two runs. Mr. Trolove, who held “Woodbank,” died at Nelson on the 14th of July, 1881. He was a member of the Marlborough Provincial Council, and took a leading part in questions affecting the welfare of the district and the Colony. Mr. Trolove left a family of one son and two daughters.
Farmer, “Glenburn,” Kaikoura. “Glenburn” is a freehold property of 300 acres of first class land. About 200 crossbred sheep are depastured, and dairying is also carried on. Mr. Hailes has also 150 acres of leasehold property at
Puhi Puhi. Mr. Hailes was born in Staffordshire, England, in the year 1853. He accompanied his parents to New Zealand, in 1863, in the ship “Edward Thornel,” and landed in Nelson. After two years spent in the Wairau, the family moved to Kaikoura where Mr. Hailes assisted his father in farming and contracting. He started farming on his own account in 1875, and has been most successful in all his operations. Mr. Hailes has taken no part in public life, and has devoted his whole time and energy to the management of his property. He married Miss Cokley in the year 1888, and has three sons and two daughters.
Hailes, Joseph Mary
. Farmer. “Pine Terrace,” Kaikoura, Marlborough. Pine Terrace is a leasehold property of 155 acres. Mixed farming is carried on, and a good deal of contracting and outside ploughing is also done. Mr. Hailes was born in Staffordshire,
England, in July, 1854, and is a son of the late Mr. Walter Hailes, sometime of Kaikoura. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the year 1863. in the ship “Edward Thornel,” which struck the Fiteshire Rock on entering Nelson harbour. The passengers, however, were all landed safely. After a time spent in the Waiau, the family settled in Kaikoura, where Mr. Hailes, with his father, engaged in roadmaking for the Provincial Government, and were paid for their labour in land. Mr. Hailes acquired his present property in this fashion, and has resided on it for over thirty years. He is a member of the Kaikoura Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has served on the Suburban and Catholic school committees. Mr. Hailes has been twice married. His second wife is the only child of Mr.
Stephen Hutcheson, of Melbourne, who erected the first gasworks in Otago, and also built the Blenheim gasworks.
Mrs Hailes arrived in New Zealand in the year 1874, in the ship “Sam Mendel.”
Farmer, Kaikoura. Mr. Lyford, who is now
(1905) farming at Kaikoura, was appointed manager of Weld's Hill, Upton Downs, and Blairich stations in April, 1897. He is a native of Kaikoura, and was brought up to station life. Mr. Lyford worked on the Clarence run for fifteen years, and managed it for three years for the Estates Company. He has also worked Kekerangu, Molesworth, Snowdon, Waipapa and Green Hill stations.
Miskin, Arthur George,
Farmer, “Thornbrake,” Kaikoura. This property consists of forty-six acres. Mr. Miskin owns five thoroughbred brood mares, and the racer “Mauser,” bred by Mr. G. G. Stead, and purchased from Mr. Murray-Aynsley, both of Christchurch. He has also reared some very fine thoroughbred foals. In racing he has
been successful, having won with “Leo,” ten races out of twelve, for which he started, including the Waiau Cup. Mr. Miskin was born in London, in 1869, and is a son of Dr. G. A. Miskin, Slade House, London. He was educated at King's College, London, and at Epsom College, devoted to the education of the sons of medical men. It was intended that he should follow the medical profession, but he abandoned the idea and came to New Zealand in 1885. Mr. Miskin revisited England in 1890. He is a keen sportsman, and particularly fond of racing and shooting.
Sheepfarmer, “Ludstone,” Kaikoura. Mr. Smith was born in November, 1833, at Ludstone Hall, Claverley, Salop, England. In 1850 he, in company with the rest of the family, twelve in all, landed at Nelson. Shortly after landing his father died, leaving the mother to look after the children. Although then barely seventeen years of age, young Smith went to the Wairau, and found employment on Hillersden, Stronvar and Landsdowne stations until 1859, when he travelled to the Mackenzie Country to look for sheep-carrying land. Failing in this object, he proceeded to Kaikoura and examined the Tytler run, Clarence Valley, a sub-lease of which had been offered to him by the lessee from the Crown, Mr. C. F. Watts, of “Lansdowne.” This run had never been stocked and as there was no road to it, stores and other station requisites would have to be packed on horseback. The country was also over-run with wild dogs, which would be a nuisance to stock, for some years at least; again, in consequence of the altitude of the country, the sheep were liable to be snowed up. However, Mr. Watt's offer was accepted, and the run was occupied in 1860. The sheep did well and increased at an extraordinary rate, although the flocks had to be driven to Kaikoura every year to be shorn. The wild dogs were systematically pursued and practically extirpated, and although scab existed on all sides of the run, infection of the sheep was prevented by frequent dipping. The first draft of Merino wethers sent to the
Nelson market realised by weight 25s per head, off the shears. All the wool was freighted to Wellington from Kaikoura in a small schooner at a cost of £1 per bale. In 1870, Mr. Smith relinquished the Tytler run and went to reside on the Ludstone property, situated on the south road, a mile and a half from the Kaikoura post office. Most of the land comprising the Ludstone freehold, 1513 acres, was purchased from the Crown in 1865, but 230 acres were bought from the late Mr. Richard Beaumont some time later. It was mostly covered with fern, flax and toi-toi, and over-run by silver grey rabbits. Very little stock was carried till 1870, when systematic clearing, ploughing and grassing began to tell in favour of the stock, and against the rabbits, which were kept down by poisoning, etc., but in recent years stoats and weasels have been employed to keep them down. About three-fourths of the land is well grassed, and is used almost exclusively as a sheep farm. Over 4000 sheep are shorn every
year, and about 1100 lambs are bred annually, chiefly from Merino ewes and Border Leicester rams. The clip has always fetched the highest prices in the London market. English Leicester rams and halfbred ewes have now been substituted for the original strain. About eighteen miles of fencing have been erected on the farm. Mr. Smith has taken a prominent part in public affairs. He was chairman of the first district road board, established in 1870, and held office for seven years; first chairman of the Kaikoura County Council, a position he retained for three years; he hold office for seven years as chairman of the river board, and was for four years chairman of the local cattle board; and he has been chairman of the cemetery board of trustees since February, 1881. In 1873, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace. Mr. Smith married the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Ward, of Brookby, near Blenheim, in 1871.
Mr. Alben Close
, sometime of Kaikoura, came to Nelson with his parents in the ship “Mary Ann,” in the year 1842. He resided with his family at Wakapuaka till he was sixteen years of age, when he went to the Wairau, and remained there till early in 1868, when he removed to Kaikoura, and purchased the Travellers' Rest Hotel, then the oldest house in the district. Mr. Close erected the Adelphi Hotel in 1871, and carried it on till his death on the 8th of November, 1894. Besides his property he had a farm of 268 acres opposite the Kowai school, and a small farm of twenty acres and eleven town sections at Stratford. Mr. Close was instrumental with others in forming the first river board, and was a member of the Kaikoura County Council for many years. He was a Freemason and an Oddfellow. Mr. Close was survived by his wife, three sons and three daughters.
Mr. Alexander Doddemeade
is one of Kaikoura's earliest settlers, and went to the district in 1865. He was born in London, England, in 1830, and came to the colonies at the close of the forties in Dr. Lang's vessel, and commenced cattle farming at Geelong. When the rush to Ballarat set in Mr. Doddemeade went thither, and in six months he and his party took over £10,000 out of their claim. Subseqiently Mr. Doddemeade assisted Professor McCoy in the mechanical department of the Melbourne University, but again went to the goldfields. In 1862, he visited England, but came out to New Zealand in 1863, and went to Hokitika in the second boat that sailed for the West Coast goldfields. In company with his mates, he walked overland through the Buller district, and took part in the Wakamarina “rush.” All local enterprises at Kaikoura have found a most ardent supporter in Mr. Doddemeade. The Rock Oil Company and asbestos works
at Takaka received much attention from him during 1889 and 1890. He has also been a member of the Kaikoura County Council, and has occupied a seat on the local road board.
Mr. Joseph Nicholas Flower
has resided in Kaikoura for twenty-five years. He was born at Bath, England, and arrived at Melbourne early in February, 1855, by the “James Baines,” which completed the passage in a little over sixty-thre days. Up to that time that was the fastest trip ever made to Melbourne by a sailing vessel. Mr. Flower went almost immediately to Sydney, where he was for some time a master in the King's School, Parramatta. Subsequently, on the establishment of the grammar school at Goulburn, about 1860, he went there as second master. In 1863, he came over to Auckland and continued his profession, by conducting a commercial school very successfully in Hobson Street. Later on, he joined the late Dr. Kidd, in partnership, and when that gentleman was appointed the first headmaster of the Auckland College
and Grammar School, Mr. Flower received from the Board of Governors the appointment of English and Commercial Master, and the pupils of these two gentlemen formed the nucleus of the new grammar school. Mr. Flower remained connected with that institution till 1873,
when he resigned and entered the service of the Bank of New Zealand at Auckland. In 1874, he was sent down to Foxton to manage the branch which had just been opened there, and in 1880 was transferred to Kaikoura. He was retired from the service on a pension in 1895, and has since engaged in business on his own account. Mr. Flower is secretary of the local Co-operative Dairy Company.
Mr. G. Estcourt Parsons
, J.P., of Swinley, Kaikoura, has been a resident of the district since 1874, and was for some time in partnership with his brothers. Mr. Parsons was born at Lambrook, Somersetshire, England, in 1811, and was educated at the Grammar School, Summerton, and for two years in France. In 1865, he went to British Columbia, and there became interested in stock raising on cattle stations for a couple of years. He then returned to England and came out to Australia in the snip “Swiftsure,” in 1869. From Australia, Mr. Parsons crossed to New Zealand in the steamer “Tararua,” which was subsequently wrecked at Waipapapa Point on the southern coast of Otago. Five years were spent by Mr. Parsons in the Pelorus Valley, and he received
his commission as a Justice of the Peace in 1880.
Mr. Freeborn Parsons
was born in Dorsetshire, England, in 1854. He is a son of the late Mr. John Parsons, and was educated at Cleveland House school, Weymouth, and also at the Taunton Wesleyan College. Mr. Parsons landed at Lyttelton by the ship “Countess of Kintore,” in April, 1876. He settled first at Pelorus Valley, and removed to Kaikoura in 1881. In rifle shooting, he held the world's record at 700 yards, and was the first to put on the possible with the Martini-Henry at that distance.
Mr. George Rorrison
has resided in the district since 1868. He was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, in 1821, and brought up to shepherding. Mr. Rorrison came to New Zealand in 1857, and after spending a short time in Nelson, he proceeded to the Wairau, and worked on the Summerlands run, the property of the late Mr. Charles Eliott, for two years. Afterwards he removed to Dumgree, owned by the late Dr. Renwick, and
remained there ten years, during seven of which he acted as manager. Eventually he settled in Kaikoura, where he owned a farm of 330 acres, which he sold about 1878. Mr. Rorrison is highly respected by all for his many sterling qualities. He has occupied a seat on the County Council, and takes a deep interest in church matters, and in any movement calculated to advance the welfare of the district.