The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
The Picton Hospital , Waikaua Road, Picton. The first public hospital ir. Picton was originally established on its present site in the early sixties, and was replaced in the year 1902 by the present handsome building. It is a two-storied wooden building erected on the most up-to-date plan, at a total cost of £3,500, stands within an area of about fifteen acres, and commands a fine view of the harbour. It has accommodation for over thirty patients, and is used at present (1905) both as a hospital and as an Old Men's Home Dr. Redman is the surgeon, and is assisted by an experienced matron and staff of nurses. The Picton Hospital and Charitable Aid Board controls the institution. Members for the year 1905: Messrs A. G. Fell (chairman), Riddell, Oxley, Pirano, Bragg, Chaytor, Harris, McCormick, and Nees. Secretary, Mr. J. Blizzard.
Dr. William Edward Redman, Surgeon of the Picton Hospital, was born in Lincoln, England, and is a son of Dr. Meredith Redman, who practised his profession continuously for forty years in that city. He was educated at the University College in London, where he graduated as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, and subsequently practised his profession for some years in London. In the vear 1899, however, he left the Old Country for New Zealand, as surgeon on board the s.s “Aotea,” and came to Blenheim. A few years later, in 1901, Dr. Redman removed to Picton. where, in addition to his connection with the hospital, he conducts an extensive private practice, and holds several professional appointments, including that of Port Health Officer, and Medical Adviser to the Maoris. Dr. Redman takes a keen interest in the affairs of the town, and is a member of several social organisations. He introduced the first motor-car, motor-cycle, and free-wheel bicycle ever brought into the province of Marlborough, and uses them extensively on his professional rounds through the country. Dr. Redman is further referred to amongst former May rs of Picton.