Mr. Henry Dunstan Vavasour
, Owner of Ugbrooke, bought the property in 1897. He has been associated with stations since 1871, when he was appointed manager of Flaxbourne estate, which he managed for two years. During 1874–82, he was engaged in farming and breeding pedigree Shorthorn
cattle in the Taranaki district; after which he had permanent charge of Flaxbourne till 1897, a period of fifteen years. When he took over the management in 1882, the run was scabby, and the rabbits were as thick as tussocks; but in two years Mr. Vavasour obtained a clean certificate for the eradication of scab. In 1882, the Flaxbourne wool clip was 450 bales; during Mr. Vavasour's management the quantity of wool increased every year, and when he relinquished the position the clip was 1150 bales, with an average of eight pounds and three-quarters, and the rabbits had been practically exterminated. Mr. Vavasour was born in Yorkshire, England, and is the descendant of an old Saxon family, whose estates are in that county. He was educated at Oscott College, Birmingham, and brought up to farming, and came to New Zealand, via America, in 1871. Mr. Vavasour is a keen sportsman, and has, at all times, taken a prominent part in local government, and in all things tending to promote the welfare of the province. He married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Redwood, of Blenheim.