Senior, Kegworth Farm, near Blenheim. Mr. Rose is one of the oldest of the surviving pioneer settlers. He was born at Kegworth Farm in Nottinghamshire, England, in the year 1835, lived as a boy at Hilton, near Derby, and was educated
at Etwall. After leaving school, he was brought up to farming on his father's estate. Mr. Rose left for New Zealand in October, 1857, and landed in Nelson on the 12th of February, 1858. He afterwards worked for about twelve months on Mr. H. Redwood's property, went to the Wairau, leased the Junction Farm near Blenheim, and successfully conducted it for many years in conjunction with his brother, the late Mr. Joseph Rose. In the year 1870, Mr. Rose acquired his present farm, “Kegworth,” and in more recent years has purchased two adjacent properties situated between the old and middle Renwick roads, comprising in all 379 acres of the richest agricultural land in the Wairau. His land grows cereals, root crops, etc., to perfection, and over 5000 bushels of peas were produced in 1904. The proprietor is assisted by three of his sons, two of whom are married, and live in residences of their own on different parts of the farms. Mr. Rose is one of the original members of the Wairau River Board, was also for some years a member of the Omaka Road Board, and has been a member of the committee of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Isaac Gifford,
of Spring Creek, in September, 1866, and has four sons and seven daughters.