The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Meadowbank Estate (George Turner Seymour, lessee), Blenheim. Since 1896, Mr. Seymour has leased 19,000 acres of the Meadowbank estate. He grazes 7000 Merino sheep, the original stock of which was imported by his father from Mr. Rutherford's Leslie Hills station, Canterbury, and the clip has averaged as high as eight and three-quarter pounds persheep. Upon taking up the lease, Mr. Seymour personally superintended the laying of poisoned pollard, for the extermination of rabbits, and his leasehold is now practically free from the pest. So well and carefully was the poison placed that not a single sheep was lost. Mr. Seymour employs two horse teams, and has gone in largely for turnip growing; some years he crops about 200 acres.