Joiner, Builder and Undertaker, Charles Street, Blenheim. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence,
Eltham Road. This well-known business was established by Messrs Brewer and Hay, in 1887, and has steadily increased from year to year. In 1897, Messrs Brewer and Hay dissolved partnership by mutual consent, and since then the business has been carried on by Mr. Brewer alone. It extends all over Marlbororough, throughout which many fine buildings have been erected by Mr. Brewer. Mr. Brewer was born at Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England, in 1853, and was educated under the Rev. George Southern. He was apprenticed to the building trade, and when twenty-one years of age he entered his father's business as a partner, and the firm was known as J. Brewer and Son. In 1884, he came to New Zealand in the ship “Oxford,” and landed at Wellington, whence he moved to Blenheim, where he established the present business. Mr. Brewer takes a deep interest in church matters, and has for about thirty years held the position of local preacher in the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He has also been connected with the Druid's Lodge for many years, during which he has held the position of Senior Past Arch. Mr. Brewer is married, and has two sons and eight daughters.
Bythell and Company
, Builders, Contractors, and Timber Merchants, Blenheim. This business was founded in the seventies by the late
Mr. J. Brown.
Mr. E. Bythell, and conducted under his name until his death in 1894, when it was styled Messrs Bythell and Co., and placed under the sole direction of Mr. Brown. The firm occupies a central site of about an acre, with a good frontage to Maxwell road, and extending back to Walter Street. The premises consist of a fine shop for the storage and display of builders' requisites, with offices attached; also, a large building containing woodworking machinery, and workshop, general storage houses, and the manager's private residence. Messrs Bythell and Co. purchase their timber in large quantities direct from the sawmillers
do a considerable business in the sale of timber and other building materials; and have one of the largest and most extensive building trades in Marlborough.
Daikee, Henry George,
Bricklayer and Building Contractor, Grove Road, Blenheim. Mr. Daikee was born at Takaka, Nelson, in the year 1856. He was educated at the first school opened in Blenheim, and afterwards learned bricklaying under his father, the late Mr. William Thomas Daikee, who is further referred to as an old colonist. Mr. Daikee afterwards worked at his trade for several years in various parts of New Zealand. In 1882, he joined his father in partnership,
and, when his father died, took over the business as sole proprietor. Mr. Daikee carries on a steady and profitable trade in bricklaying, and keeps several men in constant employment. He is also an extensive brickmaker, and his kilns, situated at Tuamarina, seven miles from Blenheim, turn out about 50,000 bricks per month. A large number of these Mr. Daikee uses on his own contracts, and the remainder find a ready sale among contractors all over the province. Mr. Daikee is married, and has two sons and five daughters.
Builder and Contractor, Blenheim. Mr. Fawcett was born in February, 1858, at Blackburn, Lancashire, England, where he was educated and apprenticed to the building trade under his father, who was a partner in the firm of Messrs Livesey and Fawcett. He afterwards assisted for some years in the management of his father's private business. In January, 1887, Mr. Fawcett came to New Zealand, landed at Lyttelton, and was employed by the firm of Messrs Glass and Down, of Christchurch, for about
five months. He then went to Wellington, and in July, 1887, removed to the Wairau. For a year or two Mr. Fawcett worked in conjunction with others, but for sixteen years he has successfully conducted business on his own account, and during that time has erected some of the largest and best known business premises and private residences in Blenheim and the surrounding district; such as the new Club Hotel, the Grosvenor Hotel, the new “Express” buildings, Messrs Redwood Brothers' flourmill and residence at Spring Creek, and Mr. Seymour's residence on the Tenterfield run. Mr. Fawcett for many years resided at Grovetown, and was secretary and inspector of the Spring Creek Road and River Boards. He has recently (1905) taken up his residence in the suburb of St. Andrews, where timber supplies can be landed by the river boats in his private yard, which is situated on the bank of the Opawa.