Mr. Douglas Dobson
, Assoc. Memb. Inst. C.E., was formerly in practice as an architect and civil engineer at Blenheim. Mr. Dobson is a son of the late Mr. Alfred Dobson, who was engaged on the Great Northern Railway, under the late Sir William Cubitt, P.P.I.C.E. Mr. Douglas Dobson carried out extensive river
conservation and diversion works for the Lower Wairau River Board whilst he was in Marlborough. He has also been extensively engaged in road construction and bridge erection, as well as in drainage works; and has latterly carried out water, gas, and sewerage works as Borough Engineer at Masterton, in the North Island.
Mr. Robert George Park
, sometime an architect and civil engineer in Blenheim, was born at Wanganui in 1853, and received his primary education at Wellington. He then removed to the High School, Christchurch, where, at the early age of twelve years, he gained a prize given by the Provincial Engineer. He was also honorary captain of the High School Cadets, who were considered the best drilled corps in the district, and when he returned to Wellington he received an ensign's commission in the Wellington militia, which was, however, disbanded in 1870. In Wellington, Mr. Park entered the office of his uncle, the Hon. Robert Hart, then a well-known barrister and solicitor of that city. In 1872 he passed both the junior and senior Civil Service examinations. At that time the public works scheme was just beginning, and he was appointed as cadet on the Rimutaka railway. After seeing it as
far as Featherston he was transferred to Patea, and there he laid off the railway from Normanby to Patea. In 1879, Mr. Park was transferred from his railway engagements to the charge of the roads in the Waikato district. However, he did not remain there long, as he left the Public Works Department in 1880, and went to Canterbury, where he purchased the “Ellesmere Guardian,” which he sold, after successfully conducting it for six years. Mr. Park then went to the Midland Railway to superintend the work of construction for the contractors, but three years later, owing to the ill-health of his wife, he removed to Blenheim. Mr. Park was for over four years road overseer to the Awatere Road Board, which controls an extensive district in Marlborough. He became a Freemason in 1879, and was afterwards a Past Master of the order, and secretary of his lodge in Blenheim. He was one of the founders of the Wellington Football Club, and for many years held the belt as representative half-back for the Wellington province. On several occasions, he captained the representative team on its visits to Nelson, and when Canterbury visited Wellington. Mr. Park was one of the original members in the Star Rowing Club, and was one of the fastest short-distance runners of his day. He was a widower, with two sons and one daughter, and died at Blenheim in 1904.