Mr. Arthur Penrose Seymour
, who succeeded Mr. Thomas Carter as Superintendent, again held office, after Mr. W. H. Eyes' term, and was the last Superintendent of Marlborough. He was born at Marksbury,
in Somersetshire, England, on the 20th of March, 1832. In the year 1851, he came to New Zealand, and settled shortly afterwards in the Marlborough district. Mr. Seymour was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1856 or 1857, and is the oldest Justice in Marlborough. He was returned to the first Provincial Council in 1860, and was subsequently elected Superintendent of the province. In 1865, Mr. Seymour was appointed a member of the Legislative Council, and resigned the Superintendency in 1856, but was re-elected in 1870. He resigned from the Legislative Council in 1872, and was elected to represent Wairau in the House of Representatives, in which he was Chairman of Committees from 1879 to 1882. In order to visit England, he resigned his seat in the House in 1875, but was again re-elected in 1876 as the representative of Wairau. Mr. Seymour was afterwards member for Waimea-Picton from 1887 to 1890. In 1877, he was elected first chairman of the Board of Education, and, having been re-elected many times, he long held the record for New Zealand in that connection. He has been, for the greater part of thirty-six years, a member of the Marlborough Land Board. Mr. Seymour is sole Visiting Justice of the Picton gaol, and has served as Mayor of Picton. He married a daughter of Mr. Frederick Huddleston, of Nelson, who came to the colony in the year 1855. Mr. Seymour now (1905) resides at Picton.