The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
The Alpine Extended Gold Mining Company, Limited ; Registered Office, Main Street, Lyell. Solicitors, Messrs Free and Cottrell, Reefton. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Directors, Messrs P. N. Kingswell (chairman), D. Young, P. Butler, and T. Bell. Legal Manager, Mr. P. B. McMahon, Reefton. The present company is an amalgamation of the United Alpine Company with the Lyell Creek Extended Company, and was formed in the year 1897. Previous to the amalgamation, the United Alpine Company had given rich returns and paid handsone dividends. The Alpine Extended has a capital of £25,000 in 50,000 shares of ten shillings each. The plant includes a battery of twenty heads of stamps, and the usual equipment. The property is situated about three miles from Lyell, with which there is communication by good roads. The township connected with the mine is situated on a hill some hundreds of feet above the battery, which is in the Lyell river bed. About ten persons are employed.
Mr. William Rodden , Battery Manager of the Alpine Extended Gold Mining Company, Limited, is also mine manager. He was born in Goulburn, New South Wales, in the year 1866, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at St. Mary's School, in Nelson, and at fifteen years of age entered the service of the company. He started as a feeder in the battery, has gone through all classes of work incidental to quartz mining, and has been blacksmith, engineer, amalgamator, and cyanide expert. In 1893, he was appointed battery manager and mine manager. As a Freemason, Mr. Rodden is a member of Lodge Phoenix, English Constitution, Westport.