The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Mr. Patrick Joseph O'Regan, formerly member of the House of Representatives for Buller, was born at Charleston, in 1869. He is a son of Mr. P. O'Regan, farmer, of Inangahua Valley, was brought up in that district, took to journalism, entered Parliament, sat in it for some years, and is now (1905) in practice as a solicitor in Wellington.
The Reefton Volunteer Fire Brigade was established about the year 1880, and has several stations. The central station is at the back of the County Council offices, and there is also another on the Buller road, and in Broadway. In 1890, the water supply was brought in from Auld's Creek, beyond Black's Point, and the reservoir keeps a pressure of eighty pounds to the square inch, for fire purposes. The appliances include hose reels and a ladder carriage, and there is a manual engine for places beyond the township, where no high pressure water is obtainable. The brigade has a membership of twentytwo, including captain, first and second lieutenants, and foreman.
Mr. Thomas N. Grange , who has been Captain of the Reefton Fire Brigade since the year 1904, is of Scotch parentage, though he was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1858. He arrived in Lyttelton as an infant, and was educated in New Zealand. As a youth, Mr. Grange entered the Government Telegraph Department, and remained there, and in the railway service, for twenty-one years; he acted as stationmaster successively at Pourakanui, Pukeuri Junction. Woodlands, Inglewood, Stratford, Tahoraite, Little River, Methven, Studholme Junction, and Hornby Junction. In the year 1894, he left the service, and removed to Akaroa, where he became proprietor of an hotel. Mr. Grange subsequently arrived in Reefton, and purchased his present general store business in the year 1902. He has been a member of various school committees, and was at one time a member of the Akaroa Borough Council. As a Freemason. Mr. Grange was initiated in Lodge Waimate, No. 87, New Zealand Constitution, and afterwards became Worshinful Master of the Akaroa Lodge. He married a daughter of Mr. James Watt. of Wangaui, in the year 1885, and has three sons.
Mr. T. N. Grange.
The Inangahua County Council has its headquarters at Reefton. The members of the Council are also members of the Charitable Aid Board; in fact, with the exception of the Reefton Hospital Trustees, the Council is the only incorporated governing body in the county. The total population of the county is 4,600. There are 1,400 ratepayers, and the rateable value of the property is £823,589, of which £476,550 consists of mining values. The general rate is fourteen farthings levied on the unimproved value of general property, and thirteen farthings on mining property. Inangahua is said to have been the first Council to adopt rating on unimproved values. The revenue from all sources for the financial year, which ended on the 31st of March, 1905, was £14,393. The county is bounded towards the west and north by the Buller and Waimea counties, on the east by the St. Arrand Range and Fairy Queen Mountains, on the south by the county of Grey, and on a portion of the west by the Paparoa Ranges. The total area covers about one and a-half million acres, of which about one million acres are Crown lands. In the year 1905, a good deal of land was being opened up for settlement, principally in Boatman's and Hampden ridings. There are about 200 miles of formed dray roads in the county. The road from Reefton to Hope, the county boundary, is eighty-two miles in length, and a distance of sixty-three miles was taken over recently by the Government. There are also about 200 miles of horse tracks, one of which rises of about 4000 feet above the sea. The Inangahua County Council, subsidised by the Government, is pushing, on the road to connect with the valuable hot springs, near the Maruia river, about forty miles distant. These springs have proved of great value, especially in cases of rheumatism. There are now two cottages at the springs, with aecommodation for seventeen visitors. The bridges over the Grey, together with the two across the Inangahua river, are the chief works of their kind in the country: and some good bridges have recently been constructed within the boundaries, notably over the Buller. Matakitaki, and Glenroy rivers. These are all dray bridges; but,' in addition. there are several horse page 243 bridges, principally in the Hampden riding, where settlement is progressing rapidly. Under the Government Loans to Local Bodies Act, the county has borrowed £17,410, of which £4,080 was raised for carrying out the water supply scheme in Reefton and Capleston, and £8,080 for the Reefton town drainage. The waterworks of Reefton were established in the eighties. The water is obtained from Auld's Creek, above Black's Point, and brought by a race to a reservoir on the hill overlooking the town. In order to reach the reservoir, the water has to cross the Inagahua river by means of a syphon. The drainage of the town of Reefton falls into the Inangahua river, and flushing water is taken in at a point which makes it available with a fall of forty-six feet. The main drain, which is egg-shaped, is of concrete, with brick culverts arched over, and is about one mile in length: and there are four miles of drain pipes leading into it. The county offices were erected in 1892, and are situated at the corner of Buller road and Walsh Street. The building is of wood and iron, and contains twelve rooms, including the county chambers, a reading room, library, offices for the engineer, clerk and collector, and a store room. Members for the year 1905; Messrs E. J. Scantlebury (chairman), W. Irving, J. Stevenson. W. H. Bowater, D. Harold, E. J. McEnroe, and T. Bell. Mr. W. Noonan is County Clerk; Mr. W. F. Brett. County Engineer; and Mr. J. G. Heslop, Valuer and Collector.
Mr. Edward John Scantlebury was elected a member of the Inangahua County Council for Murray riding in the year 1902, and was elected chairman in November, 1904. Mr. Scantlebury is also a member of the Greymouth Harbour Board.
Mr. Walter Irving , J.P., has represented Crushington riding on the Inangahua County Council, since the year 1876, with an interim absence of three years. He was born in July, 1843, at Little Corby, near Carlisle, Cumberland, England, where he was educated, and learned the drapery trade. In 1862, Mr. Irving went to British Columbia for a year, sailed for New Zealand in the following year, and arrived in Dunedin in January, 1864. He went to Hokitika in the year 1865, and was for several years in the Grey district, where he worked out mining claims at Darkie's Terrace. When Mr. Irving first visited Reefton, in April, 1866, the country was covered with dense bush, and there were no roads. There was a little alluvial mining in the district, and Mr. Irving worked out two or three claims. He then removed to Brighton, and afterwards had mining experience in various parts of the West Coast. He returned to Reefton in the year 1873, and has since been connected with mining work. Mr. Irving has acted as legal manager for mining companies for a long time. He has served as a Justice of the Peace for many years, and has been a member of the Hospital Trustees and Charitable Aid Board. Since the year 1885, Mr. Irving has been seeretary of the Reefton Lodge of Oddfellows, and is secretary of the Reefton Jockey Club, of which he has also been a steward, and member of the committee. Mr. Irving married a daughter, of the late Mr. John McCafferty, of Victoria, in 1874, and has six sons and one daughter.
Mr. David Harold has represented Boatman's riding in the Inangahua County Council, since the year 1898. He was born in 1845, in County Kerry, Ireland. Mr. Harold came to New Zealand, in 1868, and has resided for many years on the West Coast.
Mr. William Henry Bowater has represanted the Reefton riding in the Inangahua County Council, since November, 1902. He was born in Kidderminster, England, in February, 1863, and arrived in Wellington, New Zealand, by the ship “Great Britain,” in the year 1867. Mr. Bowater was educated in Wellington, and afterwards at Charleston, on the West Coast. For some time he was employed at bush work, and, in 1887, became a sawmiller. He is now a member of the firm of Bowater and Bryan, and has the management of the company's mill at Snowy Creek, near the Greymouth and Reefton railway line. Mr. Bowater resides on the Buller Road, and, as a Freemason, is attached to Lodge Pacific, Reefton. He has held a seat' on the Hospital Board since November, 1902, and on the local school committee since 1901. He is also a member of the Reefton Sports Committee. Mr. Bowater married a daughter of Mr. C. H. Rhodes, storekeeper, of Reefton, in July, 1888, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. Ernest James Mcinroe , Member of the Inangahua County Council for Antonio's riding, is a farmer and contractor at Little Grey page 244 Junction, and holds a farm of 300 acres; he is also postmaster for the district. Mr. McInroe was born in Nelson in the year 1872, but removed, at an early age, to the Little Grey district, where his father was one of the first settlers. He was educated at the Totara Flat public school, and brought up to farming and storekepping. In 1899, Mr. McInroe became a member of the Inangahua County Council, of which he was chairman during the year 1902. He has a good knowledge of land values in the Westland district, and is Assessor for the Westland School Commissioners.
Mr. William Noonan was appointed Clerk of the Inangahua County Council in the year 1885. He was for three years previously assistant engineer.
Mr. John George Heslop , Valuer for the Inangahua County Council, was born in Kerry South, Ireland, in' 1833. He was employed by Messrs Stuart and McDonald in Glasgow for four years, and came out to Melbourne in 1856, on the first voyage of the “Donald McKay,” then the largest ship afloat. On his arrival, Mr. Heslop caught the gold fever, and started for Castlematne. He eventually went to Bendigo, and followed up “rushes” on the various fields. In 1862, he came to New Zealand, and spent three years on the Otago goldfields, and was at Dunstan and Hamilton's. Mr. Heslop started business as a draper in Greymouth in 1865, and did a thriving trade. Two years later he visited Melbourne, and returned to New Zealand in 1868, and was engaged in various occupations till the Greymmouth flood of 1872, when, owing to losses, he removed to Reefton, and entered into business as a land and estate agent. Mr. Heslop was appointed valuer for the Inangahua County Council in 1881, and also became census enumerator for the Buller and Inangahua counties.
Mr. Walter Fitzwilliam Brett was appointed Engineer to the Inangahua County Council in the year 1902. He was born in Calcutta, India, in 1862, and was educated in England. Mr. Brett atterwards came to New Zealand, settled on the West Coast in 1883, and was for ten years engaged under the New Zealand Midland Railway Company. He subsequently settled in Reefton, and served for five years as assistant engineer to the Consolidated Gold Fields of New Zealand. Mr. Brett married a daughter of Mr. E. Wickes, of Greymonth, in 1899, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. William James Mcneil , who has been Chairman of the Inangahua County Council, is a native of Montreal, Canada. In 1864, when he was quite a child, he went with his parents to Australia; and, a year later, the family removed to New Zealand and settled at Totara Flat, on the West Coast. He was educated at Nelson College, and since leaving school he has devoted himself principally to contracting and gold mining, but has a farm at Little Grey Junction. Mr. McNeil has been a member of the Reefton school committee for many years. He is also one of the local hospital trustees, and takes a great interest in cycling and athletic sports.
Mr. Edward Garven , formerly Engineer to the Inangahua County Council, was born at Dumfries, in the south of Scotland, in 1836. Mr. Garven passed his examinations as a civil engineer, went to Victoria, and spent ten years on the Australian goldfields before landing in New Zealand. After a short time in Dunedin, he went to the West Coast in 1865. Whilst Mr. Garven resided in the Coast districts, he carried out many important works, and it is estimated that, as engineer to the Inangahua County Council, he constructed about 300 miles of tracks and roads, including some that were very difficult, such as the road to the top of the Victoria Range. Mr. Garven is now (1905) in business as a commission agent in Wellington.
The Reefton Rifle Volunteers is known as D Company of the No. 2 Battalion Nelson Infantry Volunteers. This corps was formed in the year 1900, with a strength of fifty-nine. Drill is held in the Princess Theatre. The ofcers of the corps are Captain P. H. Wood, and Lieutenants R. Tudehope and F. Collins, and Surgeon-Captain Dr. W. A. Conlan. The Rev. H. T. York is Honorary Chaplain, and Mr. R. Tudehope is Seeretary.
Captain Peter Henry Wood, of the Reefton Rifle Volunteers, was born in the year 1863, in Cornwall, England. He afterwards went to Australia, but came to New Zealand in the year 1895, and settled on the West Coast. He is mine manager of the Golden Fleece gold mine.
The Reefton Post Office is situated in Bridge Street. It is a substantial wooden building of one storey, and contains four rooms, a large public office, and private quarters containing seven rooms. There is also a private box lobby, with forty-eight compartments. A telephone exchange was established in December. 1903. and there are forty-five subscribers and six hureaux. Mails are received and despatched daily. The staff includes the postmaster, four telegraph operators. a lineman, a letter-carrier, and two messengers.
Mr. Charles Whelan was anpointed postmaster at Reefton in the year 1901. He had previously been stationed at Alexander South and Tapanui.
Mr. John A. Montgomerie was pointed District Survevor at Reefton in the year 1877. He was born in Tasmania, and came to New Zea- page 245 land in 1867. Mr. Montgomerie was for a number of years in the Public Works Department, and has had a wide experience on the West Coast, as he has surveyed some of the principal mining sites from Reefton to Ross.
The Reefton Police Station , in Broadway, comprises a seven-roomed residence for the officer in charge, together with offices, and a cottage for the single men, two cells, a stable containing two stalls, and a forage house.
Sergeant Alfred Edward Remer was appointed to the charge of the Reefton police station in March, 1905. He was born in Cheshire, England, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Wairoa,” which arrived in Wellington in 1879. Mr. Remer joined the police force in 1881, at Parihaka; was promoted to the position of sergeant in 1902, and received his present appointment in the year 1905.
Mr. William John Phair , who took charge of the Reefton police district in 1897, joined the constabulary in 1877, and had been stationed in Wellington and Nelson. At Nelson, he had an uninterrupted period of seventeen years' service, and left an excellent name behind him amongst the residents. At Reefton, where he was sergeant in charge, Mr. Phair was looked upon as a just man, and one who did his duty fearlessly in a very unassuming manner. He is not now (1905) in the police force.
Mr. W. J. Phair.
The Reefton Hospital is situated in Lower Broadway. It is a one-storied building, and contains four large and well-ventilated wards, capable of accommodating thirty-five patients. There is also a separate ward for females, and an isolated ward for contagious diseases. In 1896, Mr. David Ziman erected an accident ward at a cost of over £500, which the Government subsidised to the extent of £600. There is a modern operating room, and the hospital buildings contain suitable quarters for the matron and nurses. The hospital staff includes Dr. W. A. Conlon, Medical Superintendent, Dr. E. H. Scott, Honorary Physician and Surgeon; a matron, nurse two probationers, and servants. The hospital revenue is derived mainly irom the Inangahua County Council, whose contribution for the year 1904 amounted to £1,600. Committee for the year 1905: Messrs E. J. Scantlebury (chairman), W. Irving, D. Harold, P. Butler, T. Bell, W. H. Bowater, J. Stevenson, H. Betts, and D. Blackadder.
The Reefton District High School was constituted in the year 1902, and was previously known as the Reefton public school. Part of the school was erected in 1869, but a room for senior pupils was added in 1887; and now there are altogether five large, lofty, and well-ventilated classrooms. The number of children on the roll is 300, and the average attendance 250. The school grounds contain an acre of land, on which the headmaster's residence is built. The staff consists of the headmaster, an assistant master in charge of the secondary course, an infant mistress, two assistant mistresses, and a pupil teacher.
Mr. James Hamilton Harkness , B.A., Headmaster of the Reefton District High School, took charge in the year 1895. He was born in Nelson, and was educated at the Nelson College. In 1874, Mr. Harkness won a New Zealand University scholarship, and was headmaster of the Bishop's School, Nelson, from 1879 till 1895, when he resigned to take up his present duties. He has been president of the New Zealand Educational Institute.
Mr. James Francis Wilson was appointed first assistant master of the Reefton District High School in the year 1904. He was born in 1878, in Reefton, where he was educated, and served as a pupil teacher for four years at the local school. Mr. Wilson entered the service of the Nelson Education Board as a pupil teacher in 1893, and, after filling the position to assistant master, was appointed to the charge of the Lyell public school, where he served for five years previous to receiving his present appointment. Mr. Wilson holds a D certificate.
The Reefton Parochial Schools , connected with the Roman Catholie Church, are attended by 160 scholars, thirty of whom are in daily attendance at the Girls' High School. In addition to the higher education imparted to the pupils, painting and music are taught by the Sisters, and between fortyone and fifty pupils receive musical instruction. The teaching has led to successful results, and children of all denominations attend the school.
St. Xavier's Convent of Mercy was founded in the year 1890, and stands on part of a section of two acres of land, at the corner of Bridge and Church Streets. It was erected in May, 1897, and consists of a two-storied wood and iron building, containing fourteen rooms; there are also eight additional rooms in an adjoining building. There are about ten Sisters at the institution, and from thirty to fifty pupils are in attendance. School Of Mines, Reefton. This school was established by Professor Black in the year 1886. Classes are held every evening on mining subjects, land and mine surveying, practical and theoretical chemistry, geology, metallurgy, mineralogy and assaying. The school has about thirty members, and is well equipped for assaying ores and minerals. The institution is supported by the district, and subsidised, pound for pound, by the Government; all membership and test fees are subsidised by the Government. The school building faces Shiels Street, behind the Post Office, and stands on Government ground. It is of wood and iron, and has a mineral museum, a laboratory, and an assay room. Officers for 1905: Mr. W. F. Brett, President; Mr. W. W. Ashby, Secretary; and Mr. J. Henderson, Director.
The Reefton Parochial District of the Anglican Church has been established for many years. It extends from the Saddle on the south, to the Hope saddle on the north, and includes Reefton, Progress Junction, Globe Hill, Inkerman, Coppleston, The Landing, Inangahua Junction, Lyell, Fern Flat, Longford, Murohison, Horse Terrace, and Warwick Junction. There are three churches in the district; namely, St. Stephens church, at Reefton, St. Luke's Church, at Coppleston, and St. Matthew's church, at Lyell. St. Stephen's church stands at the corner of Walsh and Church Streets, and was built in 1878, but has since been extensively enlarged. The Sunday school is conducted in a separate building, next to the church, and is attended by 150 scholars, in charge of fifteen teachers. The vicar- page 246 age stands at Rosstown, on the other side of the Inangahua river, from Reefton, and occupies a quarter of an acre of land. It is a comfortable sevenroomed residence, and was built in the year 1903.
The Rev. Herbert Thomas York, Vicar of Reefton, was born in the city of Nelson, in the year 1863. He was educated in Nelson, and at the Theological College, Bishopdale, Nelson. Mr. York was ordained deacon in 1893, and priest in the following year. He was appointed curate of the outdistrict of Westport, and was stationed at Waimangaroa for two years. Mr. York was appointed to Reefton in January, 1901.
The Rev. A. W. C. Stace, formerly eurate at Reefton, was born in 1875 at Blenheim, where he received his primary education, and was prepared for holy orders at St. John's Theological College, Anekland, and at Bishopdate, Nelson. He went to Reefton as lay reader in May, 1898, and was admitted to deacon's orders in January, 1899.
Knox Presbyterian Church , Broadway, Reefton, was erected in 1884. It has seat accommodation for 200 persons, and there are 300 nominal adherents. The circuit connected with it includes Reefton, Cruahington and Boatman's.
The Rev. James B. Smellie, Minister in charge of Knox Presbyterian church at Reefton, was formerly stationed at Wyndham, Southland, and a sketch of his life and his portrait appear in that connection, at page 1075 of the Otago and Southland volume of this Cyclopedia.
The Reefton Parish of the Roman Catholic Church extends from Little Grey Junction to Horse Terrace. on the Nelson road, at a point beyond Murchison. It includes the settlements of Matakitiki Plains, Lyell. Inangahua Junction, Reefton, Murchison, Boatman's, Alpine Hill, and various other mining centres. The Church of the Sacred Heart, of which Mr. Charles O'Neill was the architect, was erected in Church Street, Reefton, in the year 1877. It is centrally situated, and of striking appearance, and although it will seat about 500 persons, it is usually taxed to its utmost capacity. The church has a beautiful altar, and a fine organ. The presbytery adjoins the church, and there are two flourishing schools, and a convent conducted by the Sisters of Mercey.
The Reverend D. Gallais , S.M., Parish Priest at Reefton, was born in Brittany, in the west of France, in 1867, and was educated in France, and at the Dublin Cathedral University, Ireland. Father Gallais was ordained in Armagh, in 1883. He afterwards returned to France, and became Professor of Languages at Lyons, where he remained for three years. Father Gallais then offered his services as a missionary, and was for six years in Fiji. Later, he went to Australia, and was in Sydney for three years. Father Gallais subsequently came to New Zealand in the year 1896, was stationed in Christchurch for eight years, and was appointed to his present charge in 1904.
The Very Rev. Father Mcnamara, formerly Parish Priest at Reefton, was born in County Lentrim, Ireland, in 1844, and educated at St. Mell's, Longford. He joined the Marist Fathers at Dundalk, where he was ordained, and spent six years at St. Ann's Church, in the East End of London. Father McNamara came out to New Zealand by the ship “Adamant,” in 1877, was in Christchurch over two years, and was afterwards vicar-general of the arch-diocese of Wellington, and administrator of the cathedral palace. He occupied those positions for thirteen years, and was then appointed to the charge of the Blenheim district. He entered upon his duties as rector and parisn priest of Reefton in February, 1897. Father McNamara is not now (1905) at Reefton.
The Late Rev. J. B. Rolland.
The Reefton Methodist Church was erected in Shiels Street in the year 1873. The land on which it is built measures sixty six feet by ninety-nine feet. The building is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 150 persons; but it is expected that a new church, capable of seating 250 persons, will be completed by the end of the year 1906. A Sunday school is conducted in the church, which is the principal one in the Reefton eircuit of the Methodist connection. The district extends as far as Murchison on the Nelson road, and services are held periodically at Black's Point, where there is a church, at Globe Hill, The Landing, Fern Flat, and Murchison.
Rev. T. W. Vealie.
Court Inangahua , Ancient Order of Foresters, No. 6245, was established in the year 1878. There are sixty-six members, and the accumulated funds amount to about £1,000. Meetings are held fortnightly in Shiels Street. Officers for 1905: Mr. J. Ward, Chief Ranger; Mr. R. S. Austin, Sub-Chief Ranger; Mr. E. B. Reade, Treasurer; and Mr. E. J. Scantlebury, Secretary. The Reefton Jockey Club was established about the year 1876. The racecourse is at the end of Broadway, and contains thirty-four acres of freehold land. The race track is fiftyseven chains in length, and the trotting track, thirty chains, and there is a cycle track one third of a mile in length. A commodious grandstand was erected in the year 1895, at a cost of over £2000, including furniture and fittings. Mr. W. Irving is secretary of the club.
The Inangahua Brass Band was established in the year 1901, when the Reefton City and the Black's Point Bands were amalgamated. The Black's Point Brass Band was formed in 1873 by Messrs James Harris and J. Richards. Mr. Richards held the position of bandmaster for seventeen years, when he was obliged to relinquish his duties, and go to Australia, on account of ill-health. The band then appointed Mr. Tnilip Edwards bandmaster and conductor. The Inangahua brass band has a membership of twenty. Several new instruments were imported in 1905, at a cost of £125, to replace the old ones; and of the cost, £-40 was subscribed by the people of Reefton and the surrounding districts. The band took part at the Greymouth Band competition, in 1905. Mr. R. A. Sutherland is Bandmaster and Conductor; and Mr. S. Austin. Secretary.
Mr. S. Austin.
The “Inangahua Times” was founded in the seventies by Mr. William J. Potts, as a tri-weekly morning paper, and was conducted by him until his death, in January, 1901. Thereafter it was conducted by Mrs. Mary Agnes Theresa Potts, who also acted as editress from the year 1897 until August, 1905, when the paper was taken over by a company, known as the Inangahua Times Company, Limited. The paper, which consists of thirty-two columns of reading and advertising matter, is issued at the price of one penny, and published every evening. The “Inaugahua Times” circulates largely in the town and district, and is the only paper in Reefton which receives late cable and press messages from the United Press Association. Late news from the country districts is regularly published, as the “Times” has correspondents in all parts of the West Coast. The plant consists of a large wharfdale double demy machine, driven by water power. page 248 A complete jobbing plant is also in working order, and constantly in use. The politics of the paper are of an independent character, with a leaning towards the Seddon Government.
The “Inangahua Herald” was established by Messrs Ivess, Mirfin, and Tilbrook in the year 1872, and in 1893 Mr. Noble became joint proprietor of the paper with Mr. Mirfin. The paper is published every morning, and contains twenty-eight columns. Its politics are in favour of the Seddon Government, and it has a good circulation throughout the Buller district. There is a good jobbing plant at the office of the “Herald” in Broadway, and the machinery is driven by a Pelton water wheel.
The Stipendiary Magistrate's Court , Reefton, is situated in Bridge Street. The building is a wooden one, of one storey, and was erected in the year 1872. There are seven offices and a court room. The Stipendiary Magistrate, Mr. W. G. K. Kenrick, holds sittings twice a month, and there are courts presided over by the local justices. Every alternate month, a district court is held by Judge Haselden.
Free And Cottrell (Smith Laughton Pattrick Free and Anthony Crispe Cottrell), Solicitors, Bridge Street, Reefton; also at Palmerston Street, Westport. Private residence, Mr. Free, Shiels Street, Reefton. Bankets, Bank of New Zealand. P.O. Box 12. Mr. Free takes charge of the Reefton business, and Mr. Cottrell conducts the offices at Westport. The firm is well known throughout the length and breadth of the West Coast, and enjoys a very considerable practice. Messrs Free and Cottrell are solicitors for the Government Life Insurance Department, Advances to Settlers' Department and Public Trust Office, and also for the Inangahua and Buller County Councils. Their practice is largely in connection with mining; they are solicitors for the Consolidated Goldfields Company of New Zealand, Ltd., the largest and most extensive mining corporation on the West Coast, and they also act as legal advisers to a number of other companies.
Mr. S. L. P. Free , the Resident Partner at Reefton, is a son of Mr. William Free, of North Canterbury, where he was born in 1867. Educated privately, and at the Normal School, Christchurch, he entered the office of Messrs Wynn-Williams and Deacon in 1883. Two years later he was with Mr. T. W. Stringer, passed his examination in 1888, and was admitted as a solicitor in the following year. Mr. Free then joined Messrs Guinness and Kitchingham of Greymouth in partnership, and opened a branch office in Reefton, of which he took charge. The partnership was dissolved three years later, and Mr. Free acquired the Reefton business of the firm. This he conducted on his own account for about twelve months, when he admitted Mr. A. C. Cottrell into partnership. The new firm added to its connection by purchasing the practice of the late Mr. J. J. Moynihan, at Westport, in January, 1895.
Conlon, William A., B.A., M.B., Ch.M., Reefton. Private residence, Lower Broadway, Dr. Conlon, who commenced practice in 1896, is a native of Sydney, was educated at the University in that city, and graduated in 1890. He was senior resident medical officer, Government Hospital, Little Bay, Sydney, 1896; resident surgeon, Sydney Hospital for Sick Children, Glebe Point, Sydney, 1897.
Scott, Edward Henry, M.B., Ch. M., Physician and Surgeon, Buller Road, Reefton, Dr. Scott is a son of the late Mr. Henry Scott, RegistrarGeneral and Master of Titles, Queensland. He was born at Brisbane, Queensland, and graduated in 1893, at the University of Sydney. For a shorttime Dr. Scott was resident surgeon at the Brisbane Hospital, and accepted the appointment of medical superintendent of the Kumara Hospital on the West Coast, in 1896. Seven years later, he acquired the practice of Dr. T. B. Whitton, at Reefton, where he has since lived and followed his profession.
Harley, Oliver Cromwell, Surgeon and Mechanical Dentist, Broadway, Reefton. This practice was established in the year 1903. The building includes two surgeries and a work room, Mr. Harley was born at Stoke, Nelson, in 1876, was educated at Nelson College, studied for his profession under Messrs Tatton and Deck, at Nelson; and was registered in 1902. In the following year Mr. Harley removed to Reefton, to manage a branch for Mr. W. E. Reynolds, of Greymouth, and, six months later, he bought out the practice which he has since conducted. Mr. Harley is interested in shooting, and takes a prominent place in all the athletic sports in the district. He is a member of the Y.M.B.S. Hockey Club, the Reefton Fire Brigade, and the Reefton Trotting Club.
Mr. O. C. Harley.
Sheldon, R.M. , Surgeon Dentist, Bridge Street, Reefton.
Bank Of New Zealand , corner of Broadway and Bridge Street, Reefton. This branch was established in 1872. The bank buildings are two stories in height. The staff consists of four officers. Gold buying and assaying constitute the principal branches of the bank's business. The manager's residence is attached to the bank premises.
Mr. James Fergusson , Manager of the Reefton branch of the Bank of New Zealand, was appointed to his present position in 1896. He is a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, and after leaving school joined the City of Glasgow Bank, in which he remained until it went into liquidation. Mr. Fergusson came to New Zealand in 1880, and almost immediately entered the service of the Colonial Bank, in which he remained until the Bank of New Zealand took over its business in 1896.
The National Bank Of New Zealand , Reefton. This important financial institution is the principal banking house in Reefton, and was established nearly thirty years ago. The building is a substantial wooden structure and contains a public office, the manager's room, a smelting house, and also a dwelling house. The staff includes, in addition to the manager, an accountant, an assayer, a teller and a junior clerk. The bank buys gold largely in bulk from the principal mining companies on the Reefton and Buller goldfields, and generally conducts a successful banking business. There is also a branch at Lyell, where an agent is in charge under Mr. Ferens's supervision.
Mr. Thomas Jackson Westland Ferens , the Manager of the Reefton branch of the National Bank of New Zealand, was born in Otago and educated at the Oamaru High School, where he early showed an aptitude for mathematics and book-keeping. After leaving school Mr. Ferens entered the Oamaru branch of the bank as a junior, and was subsequently transferred to Kurow, where he was in charge of the agency for nearly four years. He was appointed to his present position in 1896, and has gained the confidence of the leading business people and mining syndicates of the district. Mr. Ferens takes an active interest in cricket and athletics generally, and is a prominent member of the Reefton Cricket Club. In 1894 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Hector Baxter, of Waimate, and formerly of Caversham, Dunedin.
Mr. T. J. W. Ferens.
The Inagahua Miners' Union and Industrial Union of Workers . Registered offices, Bridge Street, Reefton. This Union was registered under. The Industrial Conciliation and Arbitration Act, 1894, on the 6th of August, 1896. Its finances are vested in three trustees, and its accumulated funds amount to £500. The roll of membership contains nearly 600 workers, who pay a weekly subscription of sixpence per member, to the funds of the Union. This meets the ordinary expenses; and, in the event of a member meeting with an injury while following his usual employment, he is entitled to £1 per week for thirteen weeks, and ten shillings a week for every week over the thirteen. The rules of the Society are incorporated and made legal by Act of Parliament, and guide masters and men in regard to wages for mining and skilled labour; indeed, the chief object of the Union is to have all industrial disputes settled by awards of the Court of Arbitration. Officers for 1905: Mr. D. Blackadder, President; Mr. M. Absalom, Vice-president; Mr. H. Betts, Secretary; Mr. R. Dunphy, Treasurer; and a committee of eight.
Mr. Henry Betts , Secretary of the Miners' Union at Reefton, was born at Hokitika, in the year 1869. He was educated in Greymouth and Christchurch, brought up to mining at Reefton, and followed that occupation for twelve years. Mr. Betts became president of the Miners' Union in July, 1897, and was again elected to the position two years later. On the completion of his second term of office, he was appointed secretary to the Union; he is also secretary of the Westland Trades and Labour Council. Mr. Betts has been one of the local hospital trustees for several years, was a member of the Inangahua County Council for six years, and of the Charitable Aid Board for one year. As a Freemason, he is a member of Lodge Pacific, English Constitution. In the year 1892, Mr. Betts married Miss Ryan, of Dunedin, and has two sons and four daughters.
Westland Trades And Labour Council : offices at Reefton.
Mr. John Foster , President of the Westland Trades and Labour Council, is check weighman at the Westport Coal Company's mines at Denniston. He was born at Macclesfield, England, in the year 1847, and arrived in New Zealand in 1851. For some time Mr. Foster was engaged in contract work, and afterwards gained a wide experience on the Otago goldfields. He was then attracted to the West Coast, and followed goldmining for about twenty years on the various fields. In 1897, Mr. Foster was appointed to his present position as check weighman at the Denniston mines. He has been president of the Westland Trades and Labour Council for three years, and for eleven years has been president of the Denniston Coal Miners' Industrial Union of Workers. Mr. Foster is chairman of the Denniston school committee, chairman of the Denniston Medical Association, and is treasurer of the Denniston Domain Board. He is married, and has one daughter.
Mr. J. Foster.
Irving, Walter, Legal Manager and Secretary to Mining Companies, and Commission Agent, Broadway, Reefton. Mr. Irving is a member of the Inangahua County Council, and is secretary of the Reefton Lodge of Oddfellows, and of the Reefton Jockey Club; and is further referred to as such in this volume.
McMahon And Lee (Bernard Patrick McMahon and Thomas Hubert Lee), Auctioneers, Sharebrokers, Legal Managers, and Commission Agents, Broadway, Reefton. Saleyards near page 250 the new railway station. This firm acts as agent for the Phoenix and London and Lancashire Fire Offices, and the Ocean Accident, the New York Life, and the Mutual Life Association of Australasia.
Mr. Bernard Patrick Mcmahon , of the firm of McMahon and Lee, was born in Christchurch in the year 1867, and educated at St. Patrick's College, Wellington. He afterwards went to the West Coast, where he took charge of the Catholic School at Reefton. In 1891, Mr. McMahon resigned his position as a teacher, and went into mining ventures; but established the business now carried on by himself and his partner in the year 1902.
Steele, Joseph, Sharebroker and Commission Agent, Reefton. Mr. Steele was born in County Donegal. Ireland, in the year 1841, and, after he was educated, he learned the drapery trade. In 1856, he was attracted to Victoria, Australia, by the goldfields, and, five years later, removed to Otago, and was at Gabriel's Gully, the Lake, Fox's, and the Dunstan diggings. Mr. Steele has been on the West Coast since about the year 1866, and was in the drapery trade at Reefton during seventeen years of that period. In 1893, he commenced business as sharebroker and general agent, and has since successfully carried on that business. At the present time (1905) he is agent for the South British and Norwich Fire Insurance Companies, for the Norwich and London Accident Company, and for the Mercantile and Bankruptcy Gazette, and several other important agencies. He is also manager of the [gap — reason: illegible]rsen's Gold Dredging Company, Limited. Mr. Steele has served on the Hospital Board, and takes a general interest in local affairs. As an Oddfellow, he is Past Provincial Grand Master and Corresponding Secretary of the North Westland district. Mr. Steele married a daughter of Mr. John McLean, of Inverness, Scotland, in the year 1875, and has a grown-up family.
Mr. J. Steele.
Sherlock, William, Photographer, Broadway, Reefton. Private residence, Buller Road. This business was established in the year 1889, and acquired by Mr. Sherlock in 1890. The studio stands on leasehold ground, and the premises include a shop, work shop, and a commodious studio, with top and side lights. Mr. Sherlock was born on the 13th of August, 1846, in London, where he was educated, and learned photography under his father in Devonshire. He afterwards came to New Zealand, and arrived in Lyttelton, by the ship “Zealandia,” in the year 1872. Mr. Sherlock removed to Christchurch, where he was in business as a photographer for eighteen years. He settled on the West Coast in 1890.
Dunn, William, Carpenter, Reefton. Mr. Dunn has carried on his business in Reefton since February, 1872, and during that period has built numerous public and private buildings; including the Court-house, County Chambers, Anglican church, the shop of the New Zealand Clothing Factory, the original Hospital, and the first grand stand on the race-course. He was born in June, 1842, at Fairham, Hants, England, where he was educated, and learned carpentry. Mr. Dunn had considerable experience in the Old Country and worked on the Charing Cross Hospital, the Langham Hotel, and other important buildings. In the year 1865, he went to Queensland, and was employed there for a time, on the building of the Ipswich railway station. He afterwards removed to Sydney, and worked at the fitting up of cabins, on a steamer for the Queensland Government. Mr. Dunn arrived in Hokitika in 1865, and had experience as a digger at Karamea, Charleston, Westport, Waimangaroa and Addison's Flat, before he settled in Reefton. As a Freemason, Mr. Dunn is a member of the Pacific Lodge, and is one of the oldest surviving Oddfellows in the county of Inangahua. He has taken an interest in cricket, and played in representative matches in the early days, against Greymouth. Mr. Dunn married a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Jones, of Greymouth, in the year 1875.
Sloan, William James, Carpenter, Reefton. Mr. Sloan was born in the year 1863, in Victoria, Australia, and came to New Zealand at the age of eight years. He was educated in Otago, learned carpentry in Westport, and afterwards resided at Westport and Lyell, until the year 1898, when he removed to Reefton, where he has a workshop and residence at Soldier's Valley, on the Progress Road. Mr. Sloan is a member of the Order of Oddfellows in Westport, and the Order of Foresters in Reefton. He married a daughter of the late Mr. W. H. Leech, of Nelson, in 1890, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. W. J. Sloan.
Panckhurst, David, Bricklayer, Munson Street, Reefton. Mr. Panckhurst has a handsome eight-roomed modern residence, together with a shop and yard, in Munson Street, Reefton. He was born in Woodend, Canterbury, in the year 1867, and was educated at Greymouth, where he learned his trade. In 1867, he commenced business there on his own account, and removed to Reefton, in 1896. Mr. Panckhurst executed the brickwork for the Grey Hospital, and for a number of shops in Greymouth, and has put up furnaces and solid brickwork for the Consolidated Gold Fields Company of New Zealand in Reefton. He also had the construction of the Reefton sewerage system, and was foreman and supervisor while the work was in progress. Mr. Panckhurst is an importer of headstones, in marble and granite, and undertakes the erection of monumental and memorial work in the cemeteries of the district. As a Freemason, he is a mem- page 251 ber of the Robert Burns Lodge, and was one of the first members of the Order of Druids in Reefton. Mr. Panckhurst married a daughter of the late Mr. C. King, of Maori Creek, and has two sons and three daughters.
Crumpton, Henry Thomson, Coach Builder, General Blacksmith, Wheelwright and Farrier, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by the late Mr. Thomas Crumpton in 1875, and was taken over by Mr. Henry Crumpton, in 1904, after the death of his father. The premises consist of a wood and iron building, erected on a section of thirty-three feet by ninety feet, and include a large shop, with two fires and a plant, a screwing” tyre rolling band, circular sawing machinery, and all needful appliances. Mr. Crumpton builds all kinds of vehicles, and employs about six persons. He was born in 1874, in Charleston, and attended school at Reetton, where he learned his trade and worked with his father, from his youth. Mr. Crumpton has been a member of the Inangahua Brass Band since 1895, and was for a time a member of the local Fire Brigade; he was also connected with the Reefton Cycling Club, and with the Reefton Orchestra, and, as an Oddfellow, is a member of the Reefton Lodge. Mr. Crumpton married a daughter of the late Mr. W. G. Collins, of Reefton, in 1899.
Feehan, John, Tailor, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by Mr. Feehan, on the 20th of June, 1904; the building consists of a doublefronted verandah shop, and contains an office, a fitting room, and a workroom. Mr. Feehan was born at Notown Road, in 1877, and was educated in Reefton, and learned his trade on the West Coast, at Blenheim, and with Messrs W. Strange and Co., in Christchurch. He was employed by this firm for three years, and learned cutting under Mr. J. W. Ramm. Mr. Feehan then returned to the West Coast, and established his present business. He is a member of the local Trotting Club and Football Club.
Smith, Christopher, Draper, Broadway, Reefton. Headquarters, Wellington. The Reefton branch of this well-known business has been established for a number of years. The premises were purchased in the year 1901, and consist of two well-appointed shops, one of which is occupied by a tenant.
Mr. William Albert Stapleton , Manager of the Reefton branch of Mr. C. Smith's drapery business, was appointed to the position in the year 1904. He was born in 1873, and is a son of Mr. James Stapleton, of Hokitika. Mr. Stapleton entered the service of the New Zealand Clothing Factory in 1891, and was promoted to the Christchurch branch four years later. The city experience thus gained proved of great benefit to him, and in August, 1897, he was further promoted to the management of the branch at Hokitika, where he proved himself a steady and constant worker for the firm he represented. Mr. Stapleton afterwards gained further experience in Christchurch and in Wellington, before taking up his present duties. He has always taken a leading part in athletic sports, especially in cycling; at one time he was deputy-captain of the Hokitika Cycling Club, and his name was familiar as that of a road racer and record breaker.
Mr. W. A. Stapleton.
Mr. William Kater , who was for some time in business in Reefton as a merchant tailor, was born in Ross, in 1872, and spent nearly the whole of his early life at Reefton. Mr. Kater served five years at his trade on the West Coast, and gained further experience in Christchurch, where he was for some time with the Farmers' Cooperative Association. He returned to Reefton in 1896, and started business on his own account. Mr. Kater subsequently went to reside in Wellington.
Mr. W. Kater.
Lawn, Albert H., Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by Mr. R. J. Simpson and taken over by the present proprietor in June, 1898.
Sutherland, Robert Alexander, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Broadway, Reefton. Established 1887. The proprietor was born in Cobden in 1860, and on leaving school was apprenticed to the timber trade, which he followed for seven years at Messrs Guthrie and Larnach's Kew sawmills, near Invercargill. On removing to to the West Coast he learned his present trade in Greymouth. The saloon is fitted up in modern style and lighted by electricity. A large stock of tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, pipes and fancy goods is always kept on hand. Mr. Sutherland employs a first class hairdresser, and also conducts an assorted lending library. In musical circles, Mr. Sutherland is well known. He is bandmaster to the Reefton City Band, and is also an able violinist and takes an active part in local concerts.
Mr. R. A. Sutherland.
The City Hotel , Reefton, is a two-storey building, containing sixteen rooms, of which eleven are bedrooms, three parlours, and one is a dining-room, with seating accommodation for twenty persons. The house is very popular, and is well patronised by the miners and residents, and by all the sporting community. An excellent table is kept, and the accommodation is all that can be desired. Wines, spirits, and liquors of the best brands are kept. Coaches stop at the door to pick up and set down passengers.
Commercial Hotel (William Edgar, proprietor), Broadway, Reelton. The Commercial Hotel is a two-storied wood and iron building, and contains twenty rooms, including fifteen bedrooms, three sitting-rooms, and a dining-hall capable of seating thirteen guests. The stables connected with the establishment contain five loose boxes and a feed-house.
Mr. William Edgar , Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, was born in 1874, in Queenstown, Otago, where he was educated. He worked for five years at a fellmongery, and afterwards followed mining for eight years in Otago and on the West Coast. Mr. Edgar is a member of the Reefton Rifles, and also of the Reefton Hibernian Lodge. He married a daughter of Mr. John Sweeney, of Buller Road, Reefton, in Oceober, 1902.
Gladstone Hotel (Richard Dunphy, proprietor), Smith Street, Reefton. This substantial two-storied structure is built of wood, on heavy concrete foundations. It was erected in 1892, and the present proprietor took over the business in 1896. The hotel contains seventeen rooms, including ten bedrooms, three parlours, and a large dining room. The wines and spirits are of the best brands, and the ales on draught and bottled include Dodson's famous AK brands. An excellent table is kept, the cooking being under an excellent cook, and the “Gladstone” is a favourite resort.
Mr. R. Dunphy , the Proprietor, is a native of Waterford, Ireland. After arriving in New Zealand, he was engaged in farming in the North Canterbury and Timaru districts. On removing to the West Coast, he went mining at Blackwall and other localities. Mr. Dunphy takes a keen interest in sporting, and is a member of the Reefton Jockey Club.
Occidental Hotel (George Henry Dyer, proprietor), junction of Grey Road and Progress Road, Reefton. This business has been established for many years. The building is of wood and iron and contains fourteen rooms. There is good accommodation for boarders, and the tariff is a moderate one. A farm of seventy acres is connected with the establishment.
Mr. George Henry Dyer , Proprietor of the Occidental Hotel, was born in the year 1882, at Kumara, where he was educated. For some years he worked as chainman to a survey party, and, in May, 1903, became the proprietor of the Occidental Hotel. As a Freemason, Mr. Dyer is a member of Lodge Robert Burns, No. 52, New Zealand Constitution, and, as a Forester, he is a member of Court Inangahua, Ancient Order of Foresters. He is also a member of the Reefton Trotting Club.
Mr. G. H. Dyer.
Southern Cross Hotel (Edward John Knowesley, proprietor), Broadway, Reefton. Mr. Knowesley has conducted the Southern Cross Hotel since the year 1902. The building is a two-storied one of wood and iron, page 253 and contains sixteen rooms, including nine bedrooms, four sitting-rooms, a commodious commercial room, comfortably fitted up, and a dining hall capable of seating thirty guests: several of the rooms are prettily furnished in figured panelling. The Southern Cross Hotel was one of the first in Reefton, and has been considerably enlarged and improved.
Mr. E. J. Knowesley , Proprietor of the Southern Cross Hotel, was born in Exeter, England, in the year 1855. He attended school at Oak House, Axminster, England, and was brought up to the trade of a draper. In the year 1872, Mr. Knowesley came to New Zealand, and arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Border Chief.” He found employment for some years in the drapery business, and was connected with Warner's and Coker's Hotels in Christchurch, as manager, for eight years; he also occupied a similar position, for two years, in connection with the Ship Hotel, Timaru. Mr. Knowesley then removed to Reefton, and was manager of Dawson's Hotel for six months, and then he bought the freehold of the Southern Cross Hotel, in October, 1902. As a volunteer, he served in the Old Country, and became a member of the Reefton Rifles in the year 1904.
Stevenson's Hotel (James Stevenson, proprietor), Broadway, Reefton. Established 1871. P.O. Box 15. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Booking office for Messrs Newman Bros.' Nelson, Westport, and Blenheim line of Royal Mail coaches. This hotel, which was taken over by the present proprietor in 1884, is one of the leading hostelries in Reefton. The building is of two stories and contains twenty single bedrooms, three suites of double bedrooms, three private sitting-rooms and three parlours. The house is exceptionally well furnished, and is lighted throughout with electricity and has every modern convenience. Mrs Stevenson is at all times most attentive to the comfort of visitors.
Mr. James Stevenson , Proprietor, was born in Glasgow in 1842, and spent the greater part of his earlier life at sea trading to India and China. He arrived in Dunedin in 1863 and followed the diggings. In 1865 he removed to the West Coast, and after remaining at Hokitika for some time, he went to Reefton and engaged in store-keeping and butchering. In 1882 he paid a visit to England and returned to New Zealand the following year. Mr. Stevenson takes a deep interest in mining matters, and was one of the original shareholders in the “Wealth of Nations,” but sold out his interest previous to Mr. Ziman taking over the option. He is also a director of the Electric Light Company and is largely interested in dredging. Mr. Stevenson is treasurer of the Reefton Racing Club, a trustee of the Reefton Hospital, and he is also a Freemason and an Oddfellow.
Mr. J. Louis Ourry , formerly Proprietor of the Criterion Hotel and Theatre Royal, Reefton, was born in France, in 1849. He was brought up to a seafaring life, but on coming to New Zealand in 1866, he engaged in mining for some years and afterwards as a butcher. Previous to taking over the Criterion Hotel, Mr. Ourry was the licensee of Loughnan's Hotel at Progress Junction. Mr. Ourry is now (1905) mining at Blackwater.
Baks, John, Farrier and Blacksmith, corner of Shiels Street and Smith Street, Reefton. Established 1890. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Banks has one of the principal blacksmithing connections in Reefton. The smithy is a large building measuring 33 feet by 40 feet. In connection with mining machinery, Mr. Banks and his staff are daily kept actively at work repairing. Mr. Banks is a native of Scotland, and was born in 1854. He came to New Zealand in 1863 in the “Robert Henderson,” and served his time to his trade at Ross. Like most colonists, he has travelled pretty well all over New Zealand. In public affairs he takes a prominent part and is well and favourably known all over the West Coast. Mr. Banks is an Oddfellow.
Kater, Henry, Plumber and Tinsmith, Broadway, Reefton. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1874 by the present proprietor's father, at whose death, in 1896, it was taken over by Mr. Kater. All classes of plumbing are undertaken, also electric-light installations. The Reefton Court-house, Episcopal church, Borough Council Chambers, the Robert Burns Lodge, as well as several hotels and business places, which are lighted by electricity, were successfully fitted up by Mr. Kater. He has an excellent plant necessary for carrying on his business, and is kept actively employed. Born in Ross in 1867, he removed to Reefton with his parents in 1874, and after receiving a primary education, he entered his father's workshop.
Mr. H. Kater.
Shepherd, George Bell, Plumber and Tinsmith, Broadway, Reefton. Private residence, Buller Road. This business was established in the year 1883 by Mr. P. N. Shepherd, who subsequently removed to Dunedin, and was acquired by his brother, Mr. G. B. Shepherd, in 1900. The premises stand on freehold land, which measures thirty-three feet by ninety-nine feet, and consist of a shop, a workshop, and a store room. Mr. Shepherd was born in December, 1850, at Dundee, Scotland, and was taken as an infant to Australia. He was educated at Geelong, and was there at the time of the Ballarat riots. Mr. Shepherd afterwards came to New Zealand, and landed in Dunedin in March, 1866. He was brought up to the trade of an ironmonger under Mr. T. G. Johnston, of George Street, Dunedin, and several years later entered the service of Messrs Briseoe and Company, with whom he continued for ten years. Mr. Shepherd then opened an ironmongery business for the firm of Guthrie and Larnach, and afterwards managed a business for Messrs Gibbs and Clayton, in George Street. In 1882, he was appointed to the management of Messrs Forsyth and Masters' Reefton branch; a position which he filled for thirteen years. Mr. Shepherd was then in business as a sharebroker for some time before he entered his present calling. He was one of the trustees of the local Hospital Board for many years, and was also chairman for ten years. Mr. Shepherd was a member of the Inangahua County Council for Reefton riding for three years, and was one of the prime movers in the foundation of the Reefton Jockey Club, with which he has been connected since 1882. He married a daughter of the late Mr. William Galloway, of Dunedin, in the year 1873, and has, surviving, four sons and two daughters.
Sunderland, William John, Cycle Engineer and Builder, “The Byko,” Walsh Street, Reefton. This business was established in the year 1904. The proprietor, Mr. Sunderland, has a full repairing plant, and builds machines from Birmingham Small Arms parts. He was born in 1875, at Reefton, where he was educated, and afterwards gained experience as a plumber, under Mr. J. Nicol, of Wellington, for about three years. Mr. Sunderland then removed to Feilding, and after being twelve months there, page 254 returned to Wellington, where he learned the bicycle trade. He subsequently had charge of a cycle business for eighteen months, before he commenced on his own account, in the year 1904. He is a member of the Reefton Lodge of Druids, and takes a general interest in sports.
Harris, Arthur Harvey, Saddler and Harnessmaker, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by Mr. Harris in the year 1897. The premises include a private residence, and a two-storied building erected on freehold land, which measures seventeen feet by ninety-nine feet. Mr. Harris was born in the year 1866, at Kaiapoi, Canterbury, where he was educated. He afterwards learned his trade at Ashburton, and for a number of years had various experiences of colonial life. For about eighteen months. Mr. Harris was engaged in clearing a reserve at Cook river, South Westland, for the Government, and was subsequently, for a time in the Kokotahi district. In 1897, he removed to Reefton, where he established his present business; and he imports largely, and keeps a well assorted stock. Mr. Harris is a member of the Order of Druids in Reefton, and is a Past President; and, as a Freemason, he is a Past Master of Lodge Robert Burns. He married a daughter of Mr. Fleming, of Kokotahi, in the year 1891, and has two sons and two daughters.
Dick, John, Butcher, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established in the year 1876, by the late Mr. John Dick, and conducted by him until his death, in July, 1904, when he was succeeded by his son, Mr. John Dick. The first shop occupied by Mr. Dick, senior, was burnt down. He then bought out the business of Mr. Gothard, and acquired the freehold of the present site, which measures sixtysix feet by ninety-nine feet. The premises were destroyed by fire in 1885, when the present substantial building was erected. It consists of a large shop and office, a small goods room, and a residence. The slaughterhouse is near the race course.
Mr. John Dick , who succeeded to his father's business in 1904, was born in May, 1873, in Reefton, where he was educated. He learned butchering under his father, with whom he worked from his youth, except during three years spent in Napier. As a Forester, Mr. Dick is a member of Court Inangahua. He married a daughter of Mr. B. Primmer, of Palmerston North, in the year 1896, and has three sons and one daughter.
Heslop, John Charles, Butcher. City Butchery. Buller Road, Reefton. The building used by Mr. Heslop is said to be one of the oldest in Reefton, and was built about the year 1870. It consists of a large shop, with verandah, offices, a small goods room, and residence, and stands on a freehold section. The slaughterhouse connected with the establishment is on Anderson's road, about one mile out of Reefton, where Mr. Heslop has 100 acres of freehold laid, about fiftysix acres of which has been cleared of bush and brought under cultivation. The buildings include a slaughter house, a drying shed, and piggeries. Three acres of land are used for breeding and fattening pigs, and about 200 are disposed of in the year. Mr. Heslop was born in the year 1882, at Reefton, where he was educated. He learned his trade with Mr. Wolf, in Reefton, commenced at an early age on his own account, and has conducted his present business since 1901.
Patterson, Robert . Merchant, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by the late Mr Robert Patterson, in the year 1872. The building was burnt down in 1874, and was replaced by the present building, which was considerably enlarged and renovated in the year 1899. It stands on a freehold section, measuring thirty-three feet by ninety-nine feet, and consists of a double-fronted shop, offices, and store room, with a residence at the back. Since the death of Mr. Patterson, in 1903, the business has been conducted by Messrs James and Isaac Patterson.
Mr. James Patterson , one of the sons of the late Mr. Robert Patterson, was born at Reefton in the year 1873. He has been associated with the business, which he now manages in conjunction with his brother, since he was fourteen years of age.
Mr. Isaac Patterson acts in conjunction with Mr. James Patterson in the management of the business left by their late father. He was born at Reefton, in 1880, and, after undergoing a legal and commercial training in Wellington, returned to take up his present business.
Palmer, Mrs M. H., Stationer and Dealer in Fancy Goods, Patent and Proprietary Medicines, Drugs and Chemicals, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by Mr. Richard James Trewavas, of Motueka, in the year 1899, as a chemist's and druggist's business, and was taken over in 1901 by the present proprietress. The building is centrally situated in Reefton, and consists of a shop and store room, stocked with herbs, chemicals, books, stationery, music, drugs, patent medicines, fancy goods, and other articles. Mrs Palmer was born at Riwaka, Nelson, where she was educated, and gained experience under her father before she took over her present business.
Scantlebury, Edward John, Stationer, Bookseller, Jeweller, etc., Agent National Mutual Life and Royal Fire Insurance Companies, Broadway, Reefton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established in 1873. The building is two-storied, and Mr. Scantlebury does an exceptionally large business. The stock is complete in all branches, and the leading periodicals from England and America, as well as colonial publications, are received by each mail. A specialty is made of school books, maps, slates, etc. Mr. Scantlebury was born in Cornwall, England, in 1861, and was educated at one of the local schools, where he afterwards served as a pupil teacher. In 1879, he came to New Zealand in the “Routenbeck,” and landed at Port Chalmers. Thence he removed to Reefton, where he engaged for a time in various pursuits. Mr. Scantlebury is secretary to the Fire Brigade and the Ancient Order of Foresters, and he is also a Justice of the Peace, chairman of the Inangahua County Council, and a member of the Greyrmouth Harbour Board.
Mr. and Mrs E. J. Scantlebury.
Grange, Thomas N, General Storekeeper, Broadway, Reefton. This business was established by the late Mr. John Ching, and conducted by him for many years. He was succeeded by the late Mr. W. G. Cellings, and Mr. Grange acquired the business in the year 1902. The premises consist of a double-fronted shop, with a verandah, and an office; and Mr. Grange maintains a large and well assorted stock of general stores. Mr. Grange is further referred to in connection with the Reefton Fire Brigade.
Harold, John, General Storekeeper, Reefton. Mr. Harold's premises stand on freehold land in Smith Street, where he owns several shops. page 255 Mr. Harold was born on the 12th of November, 1839, in the parish of Current, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland, and is one of the old West Coast settlers who arrived at Port Lyttelton in the year 1864 by the second trip of the ship “Blue Jacket.” He went to Hokitika in the early days, when there were no roads, and after about five years' experience of goldmining, he commenced storekeeping at Charleston. Mr. Harold subsequently removed to Reefton after the rush to Golgong had taken place; later on, he became clerk to the Inangahua County Council, and held the office for about nine years. He then commenced storekeeping. Mr. Harold has a grown-up family of two sons and three daughters.
Mr. J. Harold.
Rhodes, Charles Harvey, General Storekeeper, Broadway, Reefton. Private residence, Shaw Street. This business was established in the year 1887. The premises consist of a double-fronted wood and iron building, with a verandah, and contain a large shop, with a show room, offices, and a store room. Mr. Rhodes was born in the year 1839, at Old Kent Road, near London, England, where he was educated, and he obtained his first experience of commercial life in his father's business. In 1853, he went to Melbourne, Australia, and followed the diggings for about a year. Mr. Rhodes was afterwards engaged for a number of years, in a mail contract, at Maryborough, at the time the late Sir Julius Vogel, subsequently Premier of New Zealand, was sub-editor of the “Maryborough and Dunnolly Advertiser.” In the year 1861, Mr. Rhodes was attracted to New Zealand by the Gabriel's Gully rush, in Otago, and started express work in that district. He conducted this business successfully for a number of years, and at one time carried 500 letters from Dunedin to the Dunstan, for which he received as carriage, from two shillings and sixpence to five shillings each. Mr. Rhodes afterwards engaged in coaching, and left Otago, in 1865, for Hokitika. He ran the first fourhorse coach between Hokitika and Greymouth, and subsequently sold his coaching business to Messrs Lee, Cole, and Co., of Christchurch. Mr Rhodes then settled in Greymouth, where he bought the Oddfellows' Hotel and Harmonic Hall, and carried on these establishments for the balance of the lease. Afterwards, he opened the Ferry Hotel, on the bank of the Grey river, opposite the Cobden Ferry, but subsequently sold his interest. In the year 1882, Mr. Rhodes removed to Reefton, where he started business as a soda water manufacturer, but in the course of a few years he sold out to Mr. H. Pain, of Westport. He then turned his attention to storekeeping, in which he has since continued. As a member of the Order of Oddfellows and Order of Foresters in Greymouth, Mr. Rhodes has passed all the chairs. He married a daughter of Mr. Bowden, of Kilkenny, Ireland, in the year 1867, and has, surviving, two sons and two daughters.
Mr. C. H. Rhodes.
Reefton Electric Light And Power Company, Limited . Registered offices, Bridge Street, Reefton. Directors; Mr. Thomas North, chairman; and Messrs John Dick, James Stevenson, James Searlett, and H. T. Crumpton. Mr. William Hindmarsh is secretary. This company was formed in the year 1886, and was promoted by the late Mr. Morris Levy, who was, previous to his death, a director of the company, and to whom is due the installation of the electric light in Reefton. The plant is situated on the south side of the Inangahua river, and the buildings consist of the electric light house, shed, and manager' residence. There is a Jones-Vurton 200-volt dynamo capable of supplying over 1000 lights. The lighting of the town is divided into four sections, so that in case of accident to the wires in one section, it can be shut off without placing the whole town in darkness. The dynamos are driven by a Rafel turbine of seventy horse-power, built by Messrs Scott Bros, of Christchurch. The company owns a well-constructed waterrace, one mile in length, connected at considerable expense, with the Inangahua river. Lamps specially manufactured for the company in London at a cost of one shilling and three pence each are used and are equal to sixteen candlepower. Mr. A. W. Wilby is the manager of the company's lighting works; and since his appointment, the company has paid steady dividends.
Mr. A. W. Wilby.
Cochrane, William, Livery Stablekeeper and Coach Proprietor, Broadway, Reefton. Private residence, Broadway. The commodious stables owned by Mr. Cochrane were completed in the year 1904, and are built on a freehold section, which measures sixty-six feet by ninety-nine feet. The stables contain twelve stalls and nine loose boxes, and there is also standing-room for vehicles. Mr. Cochrane has a large number of vehicles, including eight sulkies and gigs, two double buggies, eight waggonettes, two expresses, and three drags, and he employs from twelve to twenty-two horses in the summer, and from ten to twelve in the winter season. He also runs a line of coaches between Reefton and the railway station, which meet every train, and undertake special trips, as required, to Nelson and Westport. Mr. Cochrane was born in November, 1854, in Victoria, Australia, and landed in Port Chalmers in January, 1862. He had various experiences of packing and country life, and was for about sixteen years employed in the sawmilling industry, in the Grey Valley. Mr. Cochrane removed to Reefton, in the year 1887, and established himself in his present business. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, and a member of the Order of Oddfellows in Reefton. Mr. Cochrane married a daughter of the late Mr. Frederick McFarlane, of Feilding. in February, 1884, and has, surviving, three sons and one daughter.
Bell, James, Farmer. “Forest Home,” Reefton. Mr. Bell's Farm of 510 acres is situated on the Buller Road, about fourteen miles from Reefton. Grazing is Mr. Bell's principal occupation, although some green crop is also grown. He deals in sheep, and has from sixty to seventy head of cattle. Mr. Bell was born at Wakefield, Nelson, in the year 1852, and is the son of an old colonist—the late Mr. James Bell—who landed in Welfington in 1840, and assisted in the first survey of Dunedin. He was brought up to farm and station life, and for some years was manager of the estate of Mr. J. C. Wason, now a member of the British House of Commons. Mr. Bell arrived on the West Coast in the year 1890, took up land, and removed to his present holding in 1898. He has taken an interest in local politics, and is chairman of the Inangahua Landing school committee, and was for some years chairman of the Stoke Road Board. Mr. Bell was also chairman of two school committees in the Stoke district, and was a trustee of the Methodist Church. As an Oddfellow, he is a Past Grand Master of the Travellers' Rest Lodge, Manchester Unity, and for a long time was a member of the Star of Wakefield Tent of Rechabites. Mr. Bell is married, and has a family of four sons and one daughter.
Mr. J. Bell.
Mr. Norman Stanley Lawn was born at Black's Point in the year 1880, and was educated in Greymouth, Reefton, and at Nelson College, where he was a holder of a two years' district scholarship. Mr. Lawn entered the service of the Consolidated Goldfields Company as assistant to Mr. Evans, the manager of the assay department, and on the resignation of Mr. Evans, in 1904, was appointed assayer, but has since retired from that office. He resides at Reefton, and, as a Forester, he is a member of Court Inangahua, for which he acted as treasurer for two years. Mr. Lawn was also, for two years, a sergeant in the Reefton Rifles; he is secretary of the Mining Students' Association, and is the West Coast representative of the International Correspondence Schools, Scranton. He married a daughter of Mr. Scoltock, storekeeper, Reefton, in the year 1905.
Mr. N. S. Lawn.
Mr. James Bell was one of the earliest settlers in New Zealand, and had many and varied experiences. He was the eldest son of Mr. William Gordon Bell, and was born in Dumfries, Scotland, on the 27th of April. 1818. In the year 1839, Mr. Bell went to Australia with his parents in the ship “Lady Lilford,” and remained there for a few months; then he came to New Zealand, and landed in Wellington on the 15th of March, 1840. Mr. Bell's parents settled in the Wellington district, where, however, the family met with considerable opposition from the Maoris, especially from a chief named Te Waka; but, through the friendliness of another chief named Kiri Karama, they were not subjected to actual violence. Mr. Bell, senior, is said to have page 257 landed the first bullock seen in Wellington, and to have been the first to use a plough in that part of New Zealand; and both ox and plough were objects of great curiosity to the Maoris, who were also highly amused to see potatoes cut up for planting; and were astonished, later on, to observe that Mr. Bell secured better crops than they did from their uncut seed. The Maoris, however, became more and more troublesome, and on one occasion Te Waka brought a number of his men and threatened to treat Mr. Bell, senior, with violence if he did not cease to plough the land which he had bought from the natives. This roused the sturdy pioneer's Scottish blood, and, calling his upgrown sons to his aid, and stoutly wielding a ploughshare, he addressed Te Waka in vigorous Doric: “Dinna ye think to touch a thing that's here noo; for if ye do, by the God that's abune us, I'll clave ye to the grund. A bargain is a bargain; I've paid ye richt and fair; and I'll gar ye keep to it.” Mr. Bell's resolute looks and warlike attitude caused the Maoris to leave the “hard white man” (as they used to call him) alone, and there was no more molestation for a time. The Maoris, however, continued to cherish their ill-will, and soon began to show it in other ways. On this account the Bell family decided to leave Wellington and go to Wanganui; an undertaking in those days, for travelling was done on foot; there were dangerous rivers to swim, and the women had frequently to be carried over them. Mr. James Bell was the first to use a plough in the Wanganui district; and this implement is still (1905) in the possession of the family. But at Wanganui trouble again arose with the Maoris, and after the Gilfilan massacre, the Bell family resolved to settle in Nelson. Mr. James Bell afterwards assisted to survey the land where Dunedin now stands, but returned to Nelson, and settled in the Motueka Valley district. In January, 1853, he was attracted to Australia by the Victorian goldfields, and remained there for two years and four months. Mr. Bell was present at the Stockade riot at Ballarat. He subsequently returned to New Zealand, and was goldmining for a time at Collingwood. In 1865, Mr. Bell settled at Belle Vue, Richmond, Nelson. He died in his eighty-fifth year, on the 20th of January, 1902, leaving a widow, one daughter, and three sons; Mr. James Bell, Reefton; Mr. Thomas Bell, Murchison; Mr. George Bell, Napier, and Mrs Louis Palmer, of Waimea West.
Mr. Thomas Crumpton , who was early on the West Coast, was brought up to his trade near Birmingham, England, and emigrated to Victoria in the early fifties. He followed goldmining at the principal goldfields, at Castlemaine, Maryborough, Chinamen's Flat, and Ballarat; and in the year 1861 came to New Zealand, and was at Waitahuna and Wetherstone's. In 1862, Mr. Crumpton went to the Dunstan and Wakamarina diggings, and, later, to the Shotover, and Hogburn, where he was very successful. During the excitement of 1865, over the rich gold finds on the West Coast, he went to Greymouth, and set up in business at Cobden; but left a few months later for Charleston, where, for about ten years, he was actively engaged in making mining machinery. In 1875, Mr. Crumpton settled in Reefton, where he established a business as wheelwright, coach-builder, and general blacksmith in Broadway. He died on the 20th of September, 1904.
The Late Mr. T. Crumpton.
Mr. John Dick was born in the year 1836, in Dundee, Scotland, where he was educated, and learned butchering. He arrived in Australia in 1854, and followed gold-mining in Victoria till 1861, when he was attracted to New Zealand by the Gabriel's Gully rush in Otago. In the early days of the West Coast, Mr. Dick was interested in the charter of the “John Penn,” a little vessel, that traded between Wanganui and Westport. He afterwards settled in Notown, where he commenced business, and was subsequently engaged in cattle dealing, between Nelson and Reefton. Mr. Dick then started a milk farm, below the race course, in Reefton, and ultimately went into the butchering business in the year 1876. As a Freemason, he was a member of the Robert Burns Lodge, and also a member of the Reefton Jockey Club, of which he acted as starter for some time. He died in the year 1904, and left a widow, two sons, and one daughter.
The Late Mr. J. Dick, Daughter, and Sons.
The Late Mr. A. Kater.
Mr. James Mccallum was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1836, and led a seafaring life until he was eighteen years of age. He arrived in Australia in 1853, and engaged in mining in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. In 1861 he came to New Zealand, and was sluice mining at Gabriel's Gully, then at Cardrona and Campbell's, and met with fair success. Mr. McCallum went to the West Coast in 1865, and worked at Red Jack's, Donoghue's and Callaghan's until 1872, when he removed to Reefton. He worked at different times at the Energetic, Progress, Globe, Sir Francis Drake, Cumberland, and Big River claims, and retired from mining in 1896. Mr. McCallum died some time ago.
Mr. Robert Patterson was born in Killyleagh, County Down, Ireland, in the year 1838. He went to Victoria, Australia, in 1854, followed goldmining at Ballarat and Castlemaine, and was one of the original holders of the well-known Catherine reef. In 1861, Mr. Patterson arrived in Otago, on his way to Gabriel's Gully, and utterwards worked over most of the southern gold fields. He was then attracted to the West Coast, and commenced business as a storekeeper at Kanieri. Afterwards he removed to Brighton, and ultimately to Reefton, where he established his business in 1872, and had associated with him for a time, the late Mr. James Patterson, his brother. Mr. Patterson was a member of the local school committee for a number of years, and was for some time chairman of the Inangahua County Council. He was a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Patterson married Miss Searight, of Bellaghay, Ireland, in 1871, and left a family and nine sons and three daughters, when he died in 1903.
Mr. Richard James Scoltock , who has been over fifty years in New Zealand, was born in the year 1835, in London, England, where he was educated, and left England, for Australia, in 1853. On the voyage out, his vessel was shipwrecked at Amsterdam Islet, in the Indian Ocean. After fourteen days spent on the island, the party were picked up by whalers, and taken to Mauritius, where Mr. Scoltock got an Australian bound vessel. He landed in Melbourne, and, a year later, removed to Sydney, where he found employment as a clerk, for two years. Mr. Scoltock afterwards went to Tasmania, but in three years' time returned to Sydney. He subsequently followed the New South Wales gold fields, until attracted to Hokitika, at the time of the great rush, in 1865. For some time Mr. Scoltock followed gold mining in New Zealand; he has had experience since then in storekeeping, butchering, and hotel keeping on the West Coast, and, for a number of years past, has devoted himself to clerical work and mining speculations in Reefton. Mr. Scoltock's private residence is in Shiels Street, where he has resided since the year 1885. He married a daughter of the late Mr. McKinley, of Canterbury, in the year 1865, and has four daughters, of whom three are married, and one son.
Mr. George Willis , Old Colonist, Reefton, arrived in Sydney by the “Waterloo” in 1852, and was present at the Ballarat riots in 1854. He came to New Zealand in 1863, landed at Dunedin, and went to the West Coast in 1865. Mr. Willis was amongst the first in the Woodstock “rush,” and from Woodstock he went to Ross, where he remained between four and five years. He was also at the Waimangaroa and Ahaura diggings. Mr. Willis went in 1875 to Reefton, where he engaged in mining and contracting until 1882. For over fourteen years he held the position of bailiff to the Magistrate's Court, and retirod into private life in 1896.
Mr. Matthew Walker , formerly Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, was born in Stirling, Scotland, in 1839, emigrated to Victoria, in 1858, and came to New Zealand in 1861. He worked on all the old diggings, including Gabriel's and Dunstan, and removed, in 1865, to the West Coast, where he followed gold mining pursuits until 1891, when he commenced hotelkeeping at Reefton. In racing matters, Mr. Walker took a lively interest. He had owned many horses during his residence on the Coast, and had an interest in “Liberator,” “Geraint,” and other racers. Mr. Walker died some time ago.
The Late Mr. M. Walker.
Cornelius O'Regan was born on the 5th of January, 1874, and died on the 7th of September, 1895, when only twenty-one years and eight months old, His whole life was passed on the West Coast of the Middle, Island of New Zealand, in a region noted for its goldfields and coal mines, its mountains and rivers, its magnificent forest scenery, and the vigorous vitality of its inhabitants. To these his parents belonged, and were themselves pioneer settlers. Very early in life young O'Regan became noticeable for his sensibility, his thoughtful moods, and solitary ways. Yet there was nothing morbid or fantastically dreamy about the boy. Indeed, he was fond of active physical exercise, as became a young New Zealander and the son of a pioneer colonist, and almost from his childhood he took a pleasure in felling trees. It was, in fact, his love of tree-felling that led to his early death, for while chopping in the bush on a showery day when he was only eleven years of age, he received such a drenching that he contracted rheumatism. In the illness that ensued he was nursed by his mother with affeetionate care, but he never properly recovered, and, as the sequel showed, heart disease took possession of him.
As a schoolboy the lad was such an industrious pupil that he won a scholarship which gave him two years' attendance at a high school, at which he matriculated for the university. However, he went no further in an academical course, but became a schoolmaster, and also a poet. He was a successful teacher, who liked his work, and applied himself to it with the enthusiasm of a devotee; while from time to time he also wrote verses marked by much verbal felicity and truth of feeling.
Though a lover of books, and personally devoted to literary composition, he also took a genuine interest in outdoor sports and games, in which he encouraged his schoolboys, and personally joined in with the young men of his neighbourhood. Yet his health was not good, though no one seems to have suspected that his life was in any sense in danger. It appears that he himself knew that his heart was seriously affected, but he concealed his knowledge, believing that to tell his friends would be to make them unhappy. Stray hints and casual sayings of his, put together after his death, led to this conclusion. However, disease in the human body has no respect for heroism in the human heart, and his illness went on increasing until Monday, the 2nd of September, 1895, when he quietly closed his country school, and went to the nearest town to obtain medical advice. The doctors whom he consulted at once realised the gravity of the case, and sent for his family. He suffered much, but he did not suffer long, for, on the morning of Saturday, the 7th of September, he passed peacefully away, and on the following Tuesday, he was buried at Reefton; the first native-born New Zealander to write, whilst yet a boy, poetry touched with the promise of permanency.
Of his literary reliques, the earliest were written in his seventeenth, the latest in his twentieth, year. They are short, few in number, and not all worthy of preservation; but at its best his verse is distinguished by thoughtfulness, melody, and verbal finish. Take as an instance one of his sonnets:
I sat with revellers in a hall of glee;
Fast flowed the ruddy wine, and many a song
From lusty throats arose, clear, loud and strong,
And Music breathed her tenderest melody,
And every eye was gloriously aflame,
And every pulse danced merrily along;
But, up through all the mad mirth of that throng,
“Twixt joy and me the shade of sorrow came.
My ears felt not the music's trancing spell;
My eyes unheeding saw the wine stream flow:
No mirth could sway me, for, without the door,
I saw the giant Care—the demon fell;
And at his heels full many a cruel woe,
Waiting to clutch its puny thralls once more.
Doubtless, this is expressive chiefly of gentle spiritual insight, and tender sympathy, and reveals a genius which has not yet succeeded in making the world's darkness its footstool. But the author elsewhere discloses characteristics which belong to the kind of man who, sooner or later, takes the world humorously, and does not allow it to settle on his back like Sinbad the Sailor's Old Man of the Sea. For instance, some lines written by the boy poet in the flyleaf of his copy of Byron not only bear witness to the far-reaching fascination of that strenuous Titan, but show that there was iron in the blood of the writer:
Immortal Byron! Gentle be your rest,
Of all life's singers, greatest, noblest, best!
As doth a star unutterably bright,
Flash o'er the sky, the while dispelling night,
E'en so did you earth's darkest shades illume,
Then fell into a cold untimely tomb.
But, mighty heart, the genial light you gave
Sank not with you into the darksome grave;
Your soul-inspiring songs of Liberty
Shall live to light the ages yet to be;
While all the envy-born spawn that threw
Their venom at your glory as it grew
Shall rot for ever in unhonoured clay,
Like stinging things that perish with the day.
The mind which exhibits in youth this happy union of strength and tenderness combined with the individuality of genius, is surely destined to do great things in the years of its maturity. In the case of Cornelius O'Regan those years were never to be reached, for all too early it became possible to say of him, in the words of Marlowe:
Cut is the branch that might have grown full straight,
And burned is Apollo's laurel bough.
But, beyond doubt, had he lived to fulfil the promise of his youth, his native land would have had in him a son who would have brought honour to any age or to any country.
The Consolidated Gold Fields Of New Zealand, Limited . Capital, £250,000 in shares of twenty shillings, fully subscribed. Incorporated in the year 1896. The amalgamation of the Globe and Progress mines at Reefton by this company marked an era in West Coast gold mining. The external works in connection with the mine begin, properly speaking, at the summit of the Globe Hill, about six miles from Reefton, and fully 700 feet above the level of the sea. Access is gained to the summit by a good dray road, the last half mile of which has been constructed by the company—hewn out of the rock—in order to reach the site of the new machinery and shaft, which has been sunk to a depth of 945 feet from the surface, or 130 feet lower than the lowest workings of the old Globe mine. Work was commenced at this shaft on the 11th of November, 1896, and was completed in eight working months, there being no Sunday labour, although this is not uncommon in connection with mining works of a preparatory nature. The shaft is divided into three compartments, two for hoisting, each four and a-half by four feet, and one, for the piping and laddering, which is four and a-half by two and a-half feet. The timbering is substantially done in “square sets,” and altogether about 180,000 feet of timber was used in the page 260 shaft alone. The work of equipment and primary development was carried out in a skilful and creditable manner by Mr. Philip L. Foster, of New York, who was assisted by Mr. F. Pearce, and an able staff. Mr. Foster was engaged specially for the work, and Mr. Pearce accompanied him from America. Head office staff in 1905: Mr. E. W. Spencer, general manager; Mr. S. L. P. Free, solicitor and secretary; and Mr. H. Castles, accountant. Mr. F. Pearce acts as mine superintendent.
Mr. Robert Seawright , formerly Working Foreman in charge of the Consolidated Goldfields Company's aerial tramway, was born at Westport in 1871, and was educated at his native place. After leaving school he took to mining, of which he has made a practical study in all its branches. It has been aptly said that a gold-digger is nothing if not a master of all trades, and this is so with Mr. Seawright. He has held responsible positions at the Globe, Venus, Cumberland and Progress mines. In order to gain a wider knowledge, Mr. Seawright went to Australia in 1894, and visited the goldfields of Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and West Australia, and the workings of the famous Southern Cross mine. On returning to New Zealand in the following year, he was employed at the Progress mines, Reefton. When the Consolidated Goldfields Company took over the property, he was employed on the aerial tramway as well as at the water race. Mr. Seawright takes a great interest in athletic matters, and is a good long distance runner, having competed at Wellington and other race meetings. He is well known in social matters, and is generally popular amongst the mining community.
Mr. R. Seawright.
The Kirwan Reward Gold Mining Company, Limited . This company lias a claim of 100 acres, about nineteen miles to the northeast of Reefton, in the Victoria range, where the discovery was made in the year 1898, by Mr. Kirwan, whose name the company bears. By an arrangement with the Anglo-Continental Gold Syndicate, an option was taken over the mine by Mr. Kirwan, who became manager. During the operations conducted for the syndicate, which extended over eighteen months, no solid reef was discovered, and the company's interest therefore ceased. The Kirwan Reward Gold Mining Company, Limited, then took over the claim, of which Mr. Kirwan continued manager. A ten stamper battery was erected, and was afterwards increased to fifteen stamps. Crushing was begun in July, 1900, and up to March, 1905, gold valued at £43,868 had been obtained, and the dividends paid amounted to £18,200. The lode worked consists of a conglomeration of broken quartz and sandstone.
Mr. William Kirwan , Mine Manager of the Kirwan Reward Gold Mining Company, was born in the year 1863, in Waterford, Ireland, where he was educated. He arrived in Wellington by the ship “Waimea,” on the 12th of December, 1880. Shortly afterwards, Mr. Kirwan went to Greymouth, and took up an interest in gold mining in the Grey Valley. He is well known as a successful prospector, and the Kirwan Reward Company, of which he still one of the largest shareholders, and for which he acts as manager, is a tribute to his enterprise and success as a prospector. Mr. Kirwan became a certificated mining manager in the year 1898, and has acted in that capacity for many years. He is still interested in prospecting, and has recently made a new discovery, about a mile to the south of the Victoria range. Mr. Kirwan married a daughter of Mr. John Noonan, of Coal Creek, in the year 1900.
Mr. W. Kirwan.
McMaster, John, Mine Manager, Reefton. Mr. McMaster was born in Argyllshire, Scotland, in January, 1847. After he was educated, he was put to engineering for a short time, and in the year 1567, came to New Zealand and landed at Port Chalmers, from the ship “Peraboo.” About nine months later, Mr. McMaster removed to Hokitika, and was afterwards attracted to Westport by the gold fields; while in that district, he was interested in one of the longest protecting tunnels on the field, the face of which had been extended the distance of 2,400 feet. Mr. McMaster arrived in Reefton in the year 1871, and was subsequently engaged in felling heavy timber, in Broadway, Reefton, and also had charge of the construction of the telegraph track, from Reefton to Greymouth; his work, however, was chiefly in connection with mining. Mr. McMaster was afterwards overseer of a shift, and mine manager of various claims, such as the Keep It Dark Company's claim (of which he was manager for seven years), the Inglewood, the Nil Desperandum, the Lone Star, at Boatman's, and the Rainy Creek, and he has managed the Golden Lead claim since the year 1896. As a Freemason, Mr. McMaster is a member of the Robert Burns Lodge, and is one of the oldest members of the Order of Oddfellows in the district. In June, 1875, he married a daughter of the late Captain Dyer, of the Isle of Wright, whose ship left Brishane, and was never heard of afterwards. Mr. McMaster has, surviving, five sons and six daughters.
Martin, James (Mine Manager, Progress Mines), Reefton. Mr. Martin was born in Cornwall, England, in the year 1858. Before coming to New Zealand he was engaged for eight years in mining, and on his arrival in Nelson in 1876, by the ship “Caroline,” he followed up the same calling. Mr. Martin worked successively in the “Ravencliffe Golden Mine,” “Jackson's Head,” “Ajax” and “Golden Fleece” mines, Reefton, “Fiery Cross,” Boatman's, and “Energetic” claims, Murray Creek. He was also manager of the “Golden Treasure” and “Golden Hill” mines. When the page 261 Consolidated Goldfields Company bought the Golden Fleece, Mr. Martin was retained as manager; but he is now (1905) manager of the Progress.
Mr. J. Martin.
Annear, William, Miner, Reefton. Mr. Annear is a native of Cornwall, and has had an extensive mining experience in Australia and New Zealand. He has been engaged at the Wealth of Nations, Progress, and Nil Desperandum mines, all situated in the Reefton district, and was manager of the Hercules quartz mine.
Morris, James, Miner, Reefton. Mr. Morris was born in Hereford, England, and came out to New Zealand in 1872, after an intermediate experience in Australia. He moved to Reefton in 1887, and has since then identified himself with the mining industry. He was a director of the Last Chance Gold Mining Company, Ltd.
Willis, George, Miner, Reefton. Mr. Willis has been associated with the goldfields for the last twelve years. He first prospected the Murray Creek and Big River for two years, and then went to Westport, where he remained for eighteen months. On returning to Reefton he worked at the Big River, Sir Francis Drake, Cumberland, Exchange, and Dillon mines. Mr. Willis gave up active mining in 1895, and commenced business as a mining and commission agent; but he is now (1905) once more engaged as a miner.
Mr. G. Willis.
Mr. Charles Lempfert has been actively engaged in mining since 1857. He is a native of Hamburg, Germany, and came to Australia in that year. Mr. Lempfert was at Snowy River, Lambing Flat and Omeo (Gippsland). He came to New Zealand when the West Coast diggings broke out, in 1866, and settled in Hokitika, where he met with considerable success. He then went to Westport, and was at Addison's Flat, where he successfully engaged in storekeeping for nearly two years. Mr. Lempfert purchased the Criterion Hotel, Westport, about eighteen years ago, and still conducts it. In 1887, he visited England and the Continent, and again in 1897, when he successfully floated the Twin Gold Mines Company, to work the Twin Gold Mines at Conn's Creek, about thirteen miles from Westport, but the company has now (1905) ceased to exist. Mr. Lempfert was a member of the Westport Borough Council from 1891 to 1894. He has a thorough knowledge of the West Coast goldfields, and his opinion on mining is much sought after.
Mr. George Edwards , formerly Mine Manager of the Twin Mines, was born in Sussex, England, in 1838, and brought up as a carpenter. He left England in 1855, in the “Mermaid,” for Victoria, Australia, and worked at Castlemaine, Bendigo, and Pleasant Creek. In 1861, he came to New Zealand at the time of the “rush” to Gabriel's Gully, and, for a time, was at Wetherstones, Waitahuna. Mr. Edwards then went to New South Wales, and worked at Gundagai, in the Lacalan. From the latter place, he proceeded overland from Melbourne, but after a short residence there he returned to New Zealand, to the West Coast, and went to Stafford. However, he met with only partial success, and removed to Reefton, where he was engaged in mining for ten or twelve years, during which he had charge of the Caledonian, North Star, Inglewood, and Sir Francis Drake mines. Mr. Edwards was also manager of the Mokihinui Company's quartz reefs. For the Beaconsfield Company, he worked two or three years, and when that syndicate was re-formed he was appointed manager. Mr. Edwards has shewn considerable energy in assisting to develop the mining industry of the West Coast, and constructed all the machinery in connection with the Twin Mines; on account of which he was page 262 highly complimented by the English expert, Mr. Pascoe, who was sent out to New Zealand by the English directors to report on the property.
Mr. G. Edwards.